• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Under-employed NUS sociology graduate earning $1200 working as part-time accounts exe

dancingshoes

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Gilbert,

I came across your website while googling people who are in my plight and would like to share my thoughts and experiences with you.

I have a diploma in accounting (merit) from a local polytechnic. After NS, I was rejected by NUS for a place in Business School but was offered sociology instead. Because of my interests in business, I did a minor in management and realised to my shock that 30% of those in business school were foreigners – from Vietnam, China, Malaysia who don’t even understand business terms!

After a year, I lost interest in my course and just breezed through and scraped by with a basic pass degree. Although I admit this is my fault for not working hard and securing a comfortable government job like a few of my peers, but the whole idea is that the private sector is a completely different ball game.

When I graduated, I sent in hundreds of resume but only got two interviews. The reality for fresh graduates is that unless you have a law, accountancy or medicine degree where you have secured a training contract of some sort then you are safe. Civil service aside, the private sector is very unwilling to take on someone with a general degree with no experience.

In fact, I have been unemployed for 2 years after graduating and helping my mother in her restaurant. This has made me feel very inferior towards the S-pass holders from third-world countries! Eventually, I decided to put my diploma as my highest educational level and secured a part-time job as an accounts executive earning $1,200 a month with a local SME working about 20 hours a week.

I can tell you for a fact that the graduate employment surveys are bullshit! It is done on a voluntarily basis and only those who have secured jobs would have sufficient information to fill such as basic salary and so on. The reality is that the unemployed like myself are too ashamed to fill up the survey.

Even for those who do, what does 15% of FASS (faculty of arts and social science) graduates who are unemployed SIX months after graduation is no joke, considering the amount they spent on their education. I would personally estimate that around 30% of my peers are unemployed and another 30% are like me underemployed doing jobs like estate and insurance agents which do not even require degrees!

In my free time, I am also studying for an ACCA to enhance my future prospects after seeing how general degrees have no value in the job market while there are so many foreigners competing with us Singaporeans who have served NS.

Understand that you are busy with the elections now, but I would love to meet you after so that I am able to get some counselling from you. I find myself better off than most of the stories in our website and thank God for that, but I seriously hope that you can speak up for more of us.

Thanks,

FJ

- See more at: http://www.transitioning.org/2015/1...time-accounts-executive/#sthash.gyZH6lfU.dpuf

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Under-employed NUS sociology graduate earning $1200 working as part-time accounts

So many sad stories from locals yet the pappy get re-elected -no wonder many cannot believe the election results.

But unlike for eg Hong Kong's Occupy Central movement /Umbrella Revolution ,these jobless just complain and did nothing?.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Under-employed NUS sociology graduate earning $1200 working as part-time accounts

So many sad stories from locals yet the pappy get re-elected -no wonder many cannot believe the election results.

But unlike for eg Hong Kong's Occupy Central movement /Umbrella Revolution ,these jobless just complain and did nothing?.

Me too. I cannot believe there are so many losers in sg. :rolleyes:

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

He still continue to invest in acca . What can I say ?

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal

you can say

who did he vote for?

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Singapore is such a worthless country,why take up all these business and finance degrees if all u gonna do is become a employee.hong kies are born businessmen without having to study those crap.

at the end of the day the only thing sinkies are good at is being administrative and textbook bureaucrats,producing mediocre work in government jobs.

Last edited:

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lose to business crooks is no shame comparing to lose to shitskin crooks from southern pacific uni

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

He should have gone out during the election to get sinkees to vote against the PAP.

Maybe he did but the PAP still won. PAP is unbeatable because the Elections Department is controlled by them. Think of rigged votes, election fraud, gerrymandering.

The only way to get rid of PAP is an uprising.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

can u imagine this worthless sinkie?despite being a university grad and a enthusiast in business and whatnot,he cannot even secure a half decent job,how to become businessmen and entrepreneurs and merchants and tycoons?

Alfrescian
Loyal

typical sinkie mentality...get a degree first (any degree will do)...that was his mistake....if he is interested in business, why the f*uk get a sociology degree in the first place? which boss will hire a sociology grad into accounting/HR/Marketing etc positions? every f*ucker is a graduate now, if he wants a degree salary and job then he has to start at some job that needs his sociology degree

dancingshoes

Alfrescian
Loyal

he should become a teacher. iron rice bowl.

Sevilla

Alfrescian
Loyal

Beware when installing file with extension like exe

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

... while there are so many foreigners competing with us Singaporeans ...
he shud b tankful 2 ft's ... n oso 2 ze billionaires who moved 2 sinkielan ... dey gif him his job ...

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal

simple solution to your problem: buy an MBA from SPH U or Mumbai, IDA sure to hire you & pay you well!!