• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

ST Kinetics to make weapons overseas, more lay offs coming.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Fucking traitorous company entirely paid off and funded by singaporean taxpayers now want to go overseas to make their weapons. These dumb fucks rather give jobs to other country citizens instead of its own. Why create state enterprises if employment of locals is not one of the goals?

Singapore-made armoured vehicles, howitzers - a type of artillery piece - and guns will soon be produced overseas.

The country's sole arms manufacturer, ST Kinetics, is changing its strategy as it prepares for future growth through partnering and licensing its intellectual property.

Mr Patrick Choy, ST Kinetics' executive vice-president, explained that Singapore has no raw material.

Steel, for instance, has to be shipped here to be made into military equipment. The final product is then transported to customers in the United States, Europe or Asia.

The shipment of goods is costly and adds to the final price tag.

"So why not do it overseas in the country where our customers are? We can license our intellectual property to manufacturers there," he told The Straits Times.

Mr Choy did not specify where ST Kinetics might make its products abroad, but he suggested one possibility was South America.

ST Kinetics has gained recognition in the arms making industry, giving it new options, and companies are approaching the company to license its technology or to look for partnerships, he added.

These options are important for ST Kinetics' growth. It will continue to produce arms here but land scarcity makes expansion a challenge.

Apart from licensing, partnering foreign and often bigger arms manufacturers is also good for the firm, said Mr Choy. "I sell our equipment to them, they can add on other accessories before they sell to the final customer."

It is doing this in a major upcoming deal to supply the United States Marine Corps with the ST Kinetics- made Terrex amphibious vehicle. It is bidding for this project in partnership with a big American military and aerospace contractor, SAIC.

The change in strategy has come about because markets are changing. While the Asia-Pacific region has been the company's largest customer base, it is setting its sights on the US market. Partnering is also a good way of getting into the market without having to compete with the big boys of arms manufacturing, Mr Choy added.

He was speaking to The Straits Times after a visit to ST Kinetics' manufacturing complex in Jalan Boon Lay. There, it makes the military equipment that was showcased during the National Day Parade, including the Terrex armoured vehicle and the articulated two-cabin tracked Bronco vehicle.

ST Kinetics, a subsidiary of publicly listed conglomerate ST Engineering, has been making military equipment for more than 40 years. Its products are sold throughout the world.

Mr Choy is also the executive vice-president for international marketing at ST Engineering.

Although it is a small player in the global arms market, the company has an international reputation for developing innovative military equipment used by armed forces in the world. Its armoured vehicles, for example, have been used by the British armed forces in Afghanistan. It is also the world's largest manufacturer of 40mm bullets.

Defence magazine Defence News ranked ST Engineering 43 out of 50 global arms manufacturers this year - up six places from last year. After Japan and India, it is only the third Asian country to be ranked in the top 50.

ST Engineering's other subsidiaries, such as ST Aerospace, ST Marine and ST Electronics, also make military equipment like naval ships and electronics command and control systems.

As a group, ST Engineering has an order book of about $12.4 billion for the next two to three years, of which about 40 per cent comes from defence equipment and the rest from commercial projects.

The company's 28ha Jalan Boon Lay complex is where arms, including bullets, armoured vehicles and howitzers, are made.

ST Kinetics has been successful so far despite its disadvantage of having no track record "since we don't go to war", said Mr Choy.

To create a competitive advantage, it focused on those defence areas where ST Kinetics and ST Engineering have technical might.

The firm also identifies gaps in operations faced by war fighters to provide solutions that other manufacturers are not producing. It also pays close attention to what customers want, often customising military equipment to meet their needs.

Cerebral

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Correct me if I am wrong. Singapore Technologies was initially created as a local defence contractor so that in times of conflict we can rely on our internal companies to assist and supply the armed forces. It was never about making a significant profit. By moving overseas, wouldn't it defeat this purpose? Will they still use Singaporean to produce or use foreigners?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
there's a raging market going on right now in syria. if they wish to cut down on shipping cost and delays, might as well relocate there. :p

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
High end users like USA and western countries will unlikely buy anything from us. Rich Asian countries like South Korea and japan buy mostly from USA or produce on their own. Even big defence spender india prefer high end products from Israel, USA and Russia. Poorer countries will find our weapons too expensive.

What left for sinkieland to target are those developing countries with limited spending power. Even so, it unlikely they will buy any big items like howitzer, apc and will procure small items like rifles, grenade launchers etc. so far they didn't achieve any oversea sale for terrex or bionix . Even for howitzer, they can only sell a limited number of units to Indonesia.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Correct me if I am wrong. Singapore Technologies was initially created as a local defence contractor so that in times of conflict we can rely on our internal companies to assist and supply the armed forces. It was never about making a significant profit. By moving overseas, wouldn't it defeat this purpose? Will they still use Singaporean to produce or use foreigners?

Correct me if I am wrong. U make 'profit' sound like a dirty word. Are u living in a video game world?

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal

It impossible for sinkieland to achieve self sufficiency far as weaponry is concern.

U still need to get the raw materials and spare parts from overseas suppliers. Take bionix for example, the engine was imported from USA, bushmaster main gun also from USA. Suspension likely from another overseas supplier. I reckon most components within are imported overseas. We merely serve as a assembly point.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
High end users like USA and western countries will unlikely buy anything from us. Rich Asian countries like South Korea and japan buy mostly from USA or produce on their own. Even big defence spender india prefer high end products from Israel, USA and Russia. Poorer countries will find our weapons too expensive.

What left for sinkieland to target are those developing countries with limited spending power. Even so, it unlikely they will buy any big items like howitzer, apc and will procure small items like rifles, grenade launchers etc. so far they didn't achieve any oversea sale for terrex or bionix . Even for howitzer, they can only sell a limited number of units to Indonesia.

Precisely because our defence industry is unable to penetrate into overseas markets, the important question is: to what extent are we using our defence budget to ‘subsidize’ our local defence industry, i.e. ST Engg through inefficient long-term procurement contracts. Available figures show that ST Engg sell the bulk of their products to our govt, despite massive efforts to internationalize their profile as a major arms producer.

From Andrew Tan’s paper on our defence industry (http://www.securitychallenges.org.au/ArticlePDFs/SC9-1Tan.pdf):

While the Singapore Government has rejected any direct state subsidy in support of its defence industries, indirect forms of subsidy could be inferred from the close defenceindustry linkages with the state-supported defence research and development sector. In addition, high defence spending and the procurement of local defence products by the SAF could be regarded as indirect forms of subsidy. Moreover, much of the product of Singapore’s defence industry is in fact sold to the SAF, and most of them would not be viable without SAF contracts.

The SDP has always argued that Singapore's defence spending is unsustainable and unjustified; a significant proportion could be diverted to health and education without compromising our national security.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
dont worry our defense budget will be increased to buy whatever unsold junk these guys make.

making garbage and selling garbage to yourself,sounds like the perfect corruption plan.

GramStroker

Alfrescian
Loyal
Increase GST to help the poor.
Import FTs to create jobs for sinkies.
Relocate overseas to protect our local market.

No change in their tune what.

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
Precisely because our defence industry is unable to penetrate into overseas markets, the important question is: to what extent are we using our defence budget to ‘subsidize’ our local defence industry, i.e. ST Engg through inefficient long-term procurement contracts. Available figures show that ST Engg sell the bulk of their products to our govt, despite massive efforts to internationalize their profile as a major arms producer.

From Andrew Tan’s paper on our defence industry (http://www.securitychallenges.org.au/ArticlePDFs/SC9-1Tan.pdf):

While the Singapore Government has rejected any direct state subsidy in support of its defence industries, indirect forms of subsidy could be inferred from the close defenceindustry linkages with the state-supported defence research and development sector. In addition, high defence spending and the procurement of local defence products by the SAF could be regarded as indirect forms of subsidy. Moreover, much of the product of Singapore’s defence industry is in fact sold to the SAF, and most of them would not be viable without SAF contracts.

The SDP has always argued that Singapore's defence spending is unsustainable and unjustified; a significant proportion could be diverted to health and education without compromising our national security.

If I can remember the figure correctly, the LAD in SAR21 cost $900 brand new. SAF engage ST to refurbish the LAD for $600 per unit. You decide if this is a rip-off or not.

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
screw sgian by exporting jobs............big wigs still hv fat paying jobs & stay in sg !!
another traitors to the sg cause!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
looking at the products they are left with & a bayee ex general in charge, this co. is going the way of dinosaur...... too many military men playing masak masak in arena they know nuts about!! How many bionix did ex BG Choy sell??

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
there's a raging market going on right now in syria. if they wish to cut down on shipping cost and delays, might as well relocate there. :p

With their brain dead retired colonel and Star General, i fear that they will lose their pants if they base overseas. Doing business overseas is not only about cutting your cost in logistic support and shipping, there are other whole sale reasons to move. They might have the reasons to move but i am in less confident mood in how are they going to deal with the people there (overseas) with no help from Singapore Government.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Of course use foreigners lah. This will make singapore beholden to which ever country they set up their weapons factories in. According to the reports, it seems the South Africans might get a factory from ST Kinetics. If there is some diplomatic row with this country or if other countries who don't like singapore put pressure on the South Africans, we will find out weapons made in their factories suddenly be embargoed and prevented from shipping here.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Yeah, this fucker Patrick Choy can go there and set up the factory. The customers will be lining outside his factory for weapons. I give him 2 months before he is captured and beheaded by ISIS.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If I can remember the figure correctly, the LAD in SAR21 cost $900 brand new. SAF engage ST to refurbish the LAD for $600 per unit. You decide if this is a rip-off or not.

Colt the company that licensed the manufacture of the M16 claimed that PAP gov't short changed them by under declaring the number of rifles made.
This is probably why the LKY gov't decided to make cheaper license-free rifles. Only the best for our NS boys:rolleyes:

We have seen this "upgrade" tactic before. Each time they upgrade our food courts, the PAP makes $$$ & the public pays for it.:(

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

This is the real reason for the move overseas. they have not be able to attract any notable sales success, other then the British buying their Warthog, which was a desperation measure by them. Now, they are dangling the apple in front of the donkey as an incentive. i.e. buy our shitty ST Kinetics weapons, we will help you set up shop in your country to make these weapons that you want. The main drawback is that if these are low cost countries, these fuckers will simply make the weapons, not pay ST Kinetics the royalties, kick out all their staff, copy the weapons, and sell them to potential ST Kinetics customers for much cheaper. In other words, ST is bending over to ask for a ass fucking, and creating a competitor in the long run.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Correct me if I am wrong. U make 'profit' sound like a dirty word. Are u living in a video game world?

All the profits in the world cannot save you when your weapons factory relocated to another country and you are suddenly attacked and do not have sources of weapons.