• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

ST Kinetics to make weapons overseas, more lay offs coming.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
It impossible for sinkieland to achieve self sufficiency far as weaponry is concern.

U still need to get the raw materials and spare parts from overseas suppliers. Take bionix for example, the engine was imported from USA, bushmaster main gun also from USA. Suspension likely from another overseas supplier. I reckon most components within are imported overseas. We merely serve as a assembly point.

If you maintain self sufficiency in small arms, weapons, and some crew served weapons and anti tank weapons, you are fine. You can make a long and painful resistance for the enemy.

Cerebral

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Correct me if I am wrong. U make 'profit' sound like a dirty word. Are u living in a video game world?

Not about the profit. Its about the location of the facilities. It needs to be able to support the armed forces and not located so far off that in times of conflict, it cannot react

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you maintain self sufficiency in small arms, weapons, and some crew served weapons and anti tank weapons, you are fine. You can make a long and painful resistance for the enemy.

It still doesn't eliminate the need for foreign inputs even for small arms. Eg bullets you still need to import the gunpowder and steel.

The only justification i can think of is it cheaper to manufacture yourself than to buy the end products from foreign sources. And it added bonus if they can sell their products overseas.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
It still doesn't eliminate the need for foreign inputs even for small arms. Eg bullets you still need to import the gunpowder and steel.

The only justification i can think of is it cheaper to manufacture yourself than to buy the end products from foreign sources. And it added bonus if they can sell their products overseas.

There is always lead, copper, brass around the country in various manufacturing plants. They can requisition it or confiscate it from them if they have to. The same for the chemicals for the propellant. No one uses gunpowder and steel for the bullets anymore. But even if you can obtain all of the ingredients its useless when your plant is not even in the country.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Precisely because our defence industry is unable to penetrate into overseas markets, the important question is: to what extent are we using our defence budget to ‘subsidize’ our local defence industry, i.e. ST Engg through inefficient long-term procurement contracts. Available figures show that ST Engg sell the bulk of their products to our govt, despite massive efforts to internationalize their profile as a major arms producer.

From Andrew Tan’s paper on our defence industry (http://www.securitychallenges.org.au/ArticlePDFs/SC9-1Tan.pdf):

While the Singapore Government has rejected any direct state subsidy in support of its defence industries, indirect forms of subsidy could be inferred from the close defenceindustry linkages with the state-supported defence research and development sector. In addition, high defence spending and the procurement of local defence products by the SAF could be regarded as indirect forms of subsidy. Moreover, much of the product of Singapore’s defence industry is in fact sold to the SAF, and most of them would not be viable without SAF contracts.

The SDP has always argued that Singapore's defence spending is unsustainable and unjustified; a significant proportion could be diverted to health and education without compromising our national security.

I can guarantee you that if they set up an overseas weapons plant, they will be subsidizing it too, so some other country will benefit. Very few western countries will allow ST Kinetics to set up shop in their country because they want to protect their own arms companies. Also the unions in these companies are very strong and will lobby their govt to prevent this. Singapore weapons are not proven in combat, so its not like the western countries lan lan must have it. I mean if they make a 120mm smoothbore tank gun that is far superior then say Rheinmetall's gun, the world's army will beat a path to their door and welcome JVs with them to open factories in their country. But they don't have any such products.

That leaves them having to sell to countries that are third world pariahs like Myanmar and Fiji, etc. But these places are buying their weapons already super cheap from China and Russia, and have really no incentive to spend money on a JV for a weapons factory with ST Kinetics. These countries have a need for modern AFVs and IFVs both of which SIngapore has. But the problem is the components of these weapons are from the US or other western countries and they don;t allow it to be sold to such places.

Case in point, our AMX-13 SM1. We have hundreds of them. Some banana republic in Central America or Africa would welcome such a simple and economical tank in their army. But the problem is that the engine and transmission is from the US, and hence the US will not allow it to be sold there. So, in the end, its no sale and it would also apply to any factory that ST Kinetics wants to set up. The only thing ST Kinetics can do is to set up a factory to make say the SAR-21. Since its a Singapore weapon, it will not face any restrictions from the US or other countries. But the problem is the SAR-21 is at at least 3 times the price of a Chinese AK-47. Why would a 3 rd world country buy it?

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Apart from licensing, partnering foreign and often bigger arms manufacturers is also good for the firm, said Mr Choy. "I sell our equipment to them, they can add on other accessories before they sell to the final customer."

It is doing this in a major upcoming deal to supply the United States Marine Corps with the ST Kinetics- made Terrex amphibious vehicle. It is bidding for this project in partnership with a big American military and aerospace contractor, SAIC.

I remember ST flogging the bionix to US Army who wanted a IFV that is light enough to be air drop from C130 around 2000s. We know that didn't work as US army opted for the wheeled Stryker despite bionix being half the price of a stryker. The US Army know a piece of shit when they see one.

Now change liao, flogging the terrex to USMC which itself copied from the stryker. Only turkey and SAF use the terrex, I don't think brunei sultan brought any terrex although he did acquired the bionix. looking the terrex exterior design, it sure look like a death trap against IEDs or even normal vehicle mine. being part of a group of defense contractors competing for the project DO NOT equal actual sales.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
I remember ST flogging the bionix to US Army who wanted a IFV that is light enough to be air drop from C130 around 2000s. We know that didn't work as US army opted for the wheeled Stryker despite bionix being half the price of a stryker. The US Army know a piece of shit when they see one.

Now change liao, flogging the terrex to USMC which itself copied from the stryker. Only turkey and SAF use the terrex, I don't think brunei sultan brought any terrex although he did acquired the bionix. looking the terrex exterior design, it sure look like a death trap against IEDs or even normal vehicle mine. being part of a group of defense contractors competing for the project DO NOT equal actual sales.

Terrex 2 is also shit a monstrosity which will never match GD or BAE.

Leckmichamarsch

Alfrescian
Loyal
the fucked up logic that we dun make steel..... therefore cheaper n better to make the whole product in land of purchase or use....... that is real fucking stupid coming from a EVP of ST............. if that is true all things here must be made elsewhere! why then do we need assholes like BG CHOY n BG Singh???? their birth rights???????????

Leckmichamarsch

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is the real reason for the move overseas. they have not be able to attract any notable sales success, other then the British buying their Warthog, which was a desperation measure by them. Now, they are dangling the apple in front of the donkey as an incentive. i.e. buy our shitty ST Kinetics weapons, we will help you set up shop in your country to make these weapons that you want. The main drawback is that if these are low cost countries, these fuckers will simply make the weapons, not pay ST Kinetics the royalties, kick out all their staff, copy the weapons, and sell them to potential ST Kinetics customers for much cheaper. In other words, ST is bending over to ask for a ass fucking, and creating a competitor in the long run.

it is like cross selling...........or what Ulf Deisenroth called Workshare........ ie give the contract, I will share the labour required with your company or country////////////

Leckmichamarsch

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is always lead, copper, brass around the country in various manufacturing plants. They can requisition it or confiscate it from them if they have to. The same for the chemicals for the propellant. No one uses gunpowder and steel for the bullets anymore. But even if you can obtain all of the ingredients its useless when your plant is not even in the country.

20 mm n 35 mm has medium carbon steel casings//////////

Leckmichamarsch

Alfrescian
Loyal
fucktard never understand that CIS was set up to meet local defence needs....... period
wear a bigger hat there will be a mis match in the world arena

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Apparently from what I have read, they are in the final round of selection for the USMC wheeled AFV contract with their US JV partner. The main problem that I see is that the USMC is going to ask them the following question : " If your wheeled Terrex is so good, why did you not buy it to replace your Cadillac gage V200 wheeled AFVs, instead you bought the Renault Higuard MRAP".

That would be the tough sell. If they don't even use their own products, why would they expect other countries to?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
the fucked up logic that we dun make steel..... therefore cheaper n better to make the whole product in land of purchase or use....... that is real fucking stupid coming from a EVP of ST............. if that is true all things here must be made elsewhere! why then do we need assholes like BG CHOY n BG Singh???? their birth rights???????????

Yeah, like that we might as well abolish EDB. Why entice MNCs to invest here when we don't have any steel, oil, or cheap electricity, etc? This fucktard's logic is unfortunately SOP for the PAP elites and porlumpars. No sense of critical thinking at all.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
20 mm n 35 mm has medium carbon steel casings//////////

Yes, but the vast majority of the individual weapons in the SAF are of the 5.56mm, 7.62mm, or 9mm calibre. all of which use full copper jacket over a lead core in a brass cartridge. So you need these materials first and above all, and fortunately, they are fairly common.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
the stuff used in Syria is far more advanced than ST can ever make ....

Not really. The small arms, RPGs, mines, arty rounds, mortar rounds, etc are all within the ST capability. Nothing I have seen in Syria is of the highly advanced type eg. UAV with laser designators lighting up targets for missiles or arty rounds equipped with receivers.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

I wonder if they send a Terrex for the USMC trial with the Tarian anti RPG system fitted to the vehicle. That would have impressed the hell out of the Marines.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
the only thing they managed to sell was the Bronco aka Warthog to the British. But now the Brits realised the stupid mistake they made and going back to BAE for a future design.

Cerebral

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Apparently from what I have read, they are in the final round of selection for the USMC wheeled AFV contract with their US JV partner. The main problem that I see is that the USMC is going to ask them the following question : " If your wheeled Terrex is so good, why did you not buy it to replace your Cadillac gage V200 wheeled AFVs, instead you bought the Renault Higuard MRAP".

That would be the tough sell. If they don't even use their own products, why would they expect other countries to?

Epic fail.......