• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Giving up uni to be baking apprentice - all for the family

dancingshoes

Alfrescian
Loyal
With his dad as sole breadwinner and his blind sister fighting a rare kidney disease, a man gives up his university education and works 16-hour days to help his family

He used to come home from work so exhausted, he'd fall asleep on the living room floor.

As a baker's apprentice, Mr Tan Chin Hoe would work 16-hour days to learn the craft and trade.

It broke his mother's heart to see this because he gave up his university studies for this harsh path.

Why?

The humble young man would never say it out loud but it was because he wanted to give his family a bit of a break.

You see, he used up his savings and with some help from his family, he was putting himself through private university after obtaining a polytechnic diploma.

But the family was dependent on his father's income. The main breadwinner works as a lorry driver, earning about $2,000 a month.

Mr Tan's sister Charmaine, 20, is suffering from a rare kidney disease. She almost died from renal failure but the feisty fighter pulled through and is sitting for her A levels.

However, she didn't escape unscathed - the disease has robbed her of her sight.

The New Paper on Sunday first heard of the Tan family's story at a Chua Chu Kang GRC rally early this month.

But Kor Kor (dialect for big brother), as Mr Tan is affectionately known by his family, refuses any suggestion of heroics on his part.

He says he and his family couldn't cope, so he chose to earn some money instead of continuing with university.

"I know of friends who gave up their polytechnic studies to save their families. So I consider myself very lucky," he says in Mandarin.

Mr Tan, who turns 28 in two days' time, refers repeatedly to his mother, Madam Lee Siew Chow, 51, as the real hero in the family.

He says: "Mum did a lot for my sister, such as bringing her home from dialysis and preparing food for her - these are small things but they add up and make a difference."

Moved by her son's words, Madam Lee says: "His work is very demanding. We asked him to give it up but he refuses.

"He would come home with burn marks on his hands and clothes covered with flour and chocolate.

"It pains me to see him suffer such hardship."

When asked which hurts her more - seeing her daughter go blind or knowing her son gave up his studies to help the family - Mr Tan was quick to jump to his mum's defence.

He was otherwise rather quiet during the two-hour interview on Tuesday.

He says: "It was my own choice. I had a choice. But for my sister, it wasn't her choice.

"At times when I'm down, I'd look at my sister who is always optimistic and strong."

Madam Lee is thankful that her children are sensible and contented with what they have.

Her younger son, Mr Tan Xing Yuan, 22, is a physics undergraduate at Nanyang Technological University. He took a study loan so as not to burden the family.

Madam Lee says: "They are not materialistic or demanding. They do not ask for branded stuff."

She adds that with proper planning, the family can cope financially. But when the going gets tough, Mr Tan always takes it upon himself to take care of bills.

"He's not big on words, it's all in his actions."

The family's four-room flat in Choa Chu Kang is spick and span despite the ageing furniture.

Charmaine's dialysis is subsidised, as are her medical bills. But sometimes, when she needs it, her medication can knock the budget back severely - some drugs can cost hundreds and even thousands.

FRUGAL

So the family is frugal. They pay whenever they can via instalments and appeal only when they can't.

They don't go to restaurants, getting by with home-cooked meals every day. They do not go on holidays and wear hand-me-down clothes.

When they have a bit of extra cash, they would go out for a meal at a hawker centre, a fast-food restaurant or a vegetarian restaurant - a luxury they indulge in once or twice a year.

Mr Tan Xing Yuan is also full of praise for his older brother: "Kor Kor has dedicated his most important part of his life to this family. What else can I ask for?"

But it is looking bright for Mr Tan: He has impressed his bosses at the bakery.

Mr Nick Chua, co-owner and chief artisan baker of Nick Vina Artisan Bakery, says Mr Tan has risen through the ranks to the position of chef de partie and is now in charge of an outlet.

Mr Tan now clocks shorter hours - about 12 a day - and earns almost $2,000 with overtime pay. The company is also sponsoring him for a three-year part-time diploma in baking. He is due to start the course next month.

Mr Tan shyly admits that he has a girlfriend of two years, whom he describes as down-to-earth, frugal and hardworking. They are colleagues at the bakery.

He is trying to squirrel away as much as he can from his salary so that he can pursue a degree again in a few years' time.

"I can still continue my studies if I want to. So, rather than regret what's in the past, I plan what to do next."

"I know of friends who gave up their polytechnic studies to save their families. So I consider myself very lucky."

- Mr Tan Chin Hoe

- See more at: http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore-ne...ng-apprentice-all-family#sthash.X09iYkcd.dpuf

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe results not so good so better give up for now! But he def got some serious obstacles so all the best to him.

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
A sad tale indeed. A local unable to pursue uni education while pappies throwing scholarship at foreigners to give them free education who then ran road and pappies spending good money to chase them down for breaking bonds.

Those who voted pappies are really brain dead.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
A sad tale indeed. A local unable to pursue uni education while pappies throwing scholarship at foreigners to give them free education who then ran road and pappies spending good money to chase them down for breaking bonds.

Those who voted pappies are really brain dead.

I think it is better to learn a skill instead to rely on some degree to generate money. It's more practical.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
In Uk or Scandinavia, the family will be taken care of by the state and the man can continue His studies or do whatever that interest him.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
just a peasant who got his polytechnic diploma late and is now trying for private uni,a peasant wannabe elite.a bakery is where he belongs anyway and most likely where he would have ended up in life anyway.

when u are garbage,giving up is not a sacrifice,it is merely embracing what you are,ur peasant roots.he has a diploma anyway why isnt he using it to get a better job?useless diploma?

Last edited: