• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

List of banned books in ( hazy ) Lion City

spotter542

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Managed to lay my hands to this much talked about book that someone desperately wants it banned :eek:
Any forumers got good recommendations for banned books ? :p

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
would have been more credible if she wears a vacheron constantin. all eyes would zoom into her cleavage anyway at first glance. :p

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Managed to lay my hands to this much talked about book that someone desperately wants it banned :eek:
Any forumers got good recommendations for banned books ? :p

Dr M., "Malay Dilema" if it is still banned today!?? actually owned a first print, when it was hot from the press, bought it at MPH Stamford Rd., 1 week later..it became a Banned Book & my copy borrowed never came back...if it is till banned, go Malaysia or buy on line...

a god read...

spotter542

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why not?

Still in touch with him?

Never met him before although I stayed in his apartment situated behind a now defunct country club along Stevens Road.
It was his mistress house :biggrin:
I do not have his US number :p

would have been more credible if she wears a vacheron constantin. all eyes would zoom into her cleavage anyway at first glance. :p

I believe she lives by the saying : If you have it , flaunt it :biggrin:

Why am I so popular?

For the wrong reasons , fucktard :oIo:

Dr M., "Malay Dilema" if it is still banned today!?? actually owned a first print, when it was hot from the press, bought it at MPH Stamford Rd., 1 week later..it became a Banned Book & my copy borrowed never came back...if it is till banned, go Malaysia or buy on line...

a god read...

Thanks for the recommendation , will look up Amazon :wink:

Black Swan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Once a Jolly Hangman - Alan Shadrake

Didn't know that Mahathir's The Malay Dilemma is a banned book.

Is "The Satanic Verses" still banned?

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
TS, not sure if this still holds true :biggrin: But can't be right for #4 by the man himself

http://www.angryangmo.com/singapore/best-books-read-singapore/

5 Books You Must Read Before Coming To Singapore

March 9, 2009
Because They Are Banned In Singapore!
If you browse through ten books, written on Singapore’s history and how the nation transformed into the expat friendly, economically booming Disneyland it is today, nine will tell you the story through pink-foggy glasses, one will talk about the reality.
Before you come to Singapore you get the chance to actually read these books, and get information from a second point of view, since most of them are banned in Singapore.
As fantastic as the story goes (I also included Singapore’s “Founder” Biography in the list below) you will see how helpful it really is to understand and acknowledge many local problems if you know about their origins.
Continue reading for a list of books that i consider crucial in reading to learn about Singapore.
singapore_books.jpg
Photo by FidoFido

1. The Singapore Dilemma – Lily Zubaidah Rahim
ir

• If you want to learn about racism in Singapore, and you have intended to do so by reading this book, you must read it before coming to Singapore since it was banned from its bookstore and even university shelves.The book is discussing the general racism problems towards the Malay community, occurring in Singapore and tries to identify the sources for the problems.
    A good review of the book can be found here.
    ir

2. Human Rights Quarterly Vol. 18 – James Gomez

• human_rights.gif
    Read about Political depression and a personal account of the circumstances that led to the arrest, mistreatment, and detention of a member of Singapore’s elite class, Francis T. Seow, under the Internal Security Act (ISA) of Singapore.
    Through this narrative, Seow comments on executive interference in the Singapore judiciary, outlines the operations and philosophy of the Internal Security Department (ISD) and its officers, provides personal testimony on the political style of Lee Kuan Yew. A very political book on Singapore’s problems.
    Continue For More Information

3. The Singapore Grip – J.G. Farrell
ir

• ir
    The only real fictional novel in my list is an awarded saga about the history of Singapore.
    “No writer has swallowed all of Singapore, from its stately colonial bungalows to its once opium-infested slums, with the verve and wit of the late J.G. Farrell, whose 1978 saga The Singapore Grip remains the great Singapore novel…Farrell’s pungent aroma still fleetingly hovers over today’s city…With his gentle wit Farrell captures the soul of Singapore: a polyglot Asian port, still partly under the sleepy sway of its British colonial past, and still lurching toward an uncertain future with a furious, irresistible energy.” –Time Magazine
    Continue For More Details
    ir

4. From Third World to First : The Singapore Story
ir

• ir
    Most differing from its perspective on Singapore is this book, written by the “founder and father” of Singapore, its Prime Minister from the 50s to 1991 Lee, himself.
    In his personal biography he writes about how after expulsion from Malaysia in 1965, the new Singapore government took the island nation from the Third World to its current First World status.
    Read this book to keep the balance between “pro” and “contra” books on Singapore’s story.

# 5 Fistful of Colours -Christine Lim Suchen

This novel, which won the prestigious Singapore Literature Prize award, is an elegant, multi-layered reflection of what it means to be Singaporean.
Through a single day in the life of a young teacher struggling to define herself as a person and an artist, Lim manages to weave the past and present into a compelling story.

Last edited:

spotter542

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The scam of 69 Holland Road

I knew that Uncle Jimmy had wanted to sell his house, numbered 67 Holland Road , for years, but couldn't without my father's permission, ostensibly because the houses were connected. Uncle Jimmy lived in Australia, and his house was vacant.
My father, on the other hand, had never wanted to sell 69 Holland Road. His brother's desire to sell 67 Holland Road meant nothing to my father.
According to the Singapore property tax records obtained by John, my father owned half of Uncle Jimmy's 67 Holland Road house. Neither Aunt Judy nor my mother had any ownership in either property.
My father and Uncle Jimmy had kept their options open.
However, with my mother's action for divorce, my father's situation had changed, he too wanted to get rid of the houses---and fast.
It is not easy to sell such a large and expensive property in a short amount of time. It could take months. My father was desperate, and had to find a solution, any solution.
My father went to the law firm of Helen Yeo and Partners to see what he could do. Helen Yeo was well connected. She was married to squeaky-clean Yeo Cheow Tong, then Singapore's Minister for Trade and Industry, and now Minister of Communications and Information Technology.
My father made the right choice in Helen Yeo.
A shell game was set up to transfer the properties out of my father's hands and away from my mother as quickly as possible.
The Holland Road properties would be "sold" to a newly formed corporation, Goldplus Investments Pte Ltd, conveniently owned by two junior lawyers in Helen Yeo's employ, Alvin Chia and Janet Tan.
Goldplus was what Singapore calls a "two-dollar corporation," meaning that it was set up with two shares of stock, costing one dollar each. Alvin and Janet owned one share each, two dollars in total.
On April 3, 1995, 69 Holland Road was transferred to Golplus for S$4,800,000, and 67 Holland Road for S$5,020,000, a grand total of S$9,820,000 (US$6,700,000)---at least for the record
Pretty good! They acquired the 67 and 69 Holland Road houses for two bucks.
So how did Goldplus, with a total paid up capital of only $2, manage to purchase such expensive properties ? Easy, with the properties in hand, Goldplus took out two loans from the Overseas Chinese Banking Corporation totaling S$23,600,000 (US$16,000,000).
The two large Holland Road houses were located on an acre of land in the best part of Singapore, so it was not surprising that they should be able to fetch a mortgage of S$23 million. The houses were worth even more than that.
If the two houses were worth in excess of of S$23 million, then why did my father and Uncle Jimmy sell them for so little ?
I don't think they did. My father and Uncle Jimmy were just parking the houses in Goldplus, safe from any claim by my mother, until they could find a legitimate buyer.
Normally such transactions are blocked when a divorce is in progress. There was also the matter of the warrant of arrest out for my father for non-payment of interim maintenance.
How was my father able to sell the Holland Road with all those legal problems?
It pays to have lawyers in high places.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am not going to list titles, but some of the books previously available in the NLB libraries are no longer found in the library catalogue.

Genre: adult fiction. One of those was made into a high profile thriller movie.

You can always tell the state of the country's intelligence by the books it omits from its public libraries. It's an indirect form of censorship. :rolleyes: