• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Expensive F-35s. Money is needed for other things.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Top-of-the-line cutting-edge jet fighters are attention grabbers and has the wow-effect in any display. But the their costs, and the other needs of any nation has to be considered. The expensive F-35 stealth fighter has been touted for the next generation jet fighter role for many countries, Singapore is one of them. Its for you guys voice your concerns over this decision, I think medical costs should be of prime consideration, especially with the aging population. There is absolutely no need for Singapore to acquire this plane. Article here is of Canada's coastal operation needs, which takes priority for her more urgent requirements, not penetrating another country's airspace to bomb them.

Cheers!

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/trud...e-savings-to-increase-navy-spending-1.2572335

Trudeau vows to scrap F-35s, use savings to increase navy spending

Giuseppe Valiante, The Canadian Press
Published Sunday, September 20, 2015 1:53PM EDT
Last Updated Sunday, September 20, 2015 8:44PM EDT

HALIFAX -- A Liberal government would not purchase F-35 fighter jets to replace Canada's aging CF-18s and instead buy cheaper planes, saving money that would go primarily towards the navy, party leader Justin Trudeau said Sunday.
Trudeau told a boisterous crowd of several hundred in Halifax that he would end the Conservative government's "erratic" military procurement policy and guarantee promises made to the navy for new patrol ships and icebreakers.
"Canada has the longest coastline out of any country in the world and Canadians rightly expect we give the navy the proper tools to protect that coastline," he said to applause.

The Conservative government had planned on purchasing 65 F-35s for the Royal Canadian Air Force but the procurement process was put on hold after the auditor general accused the government of fudging project costs and not doing sufficient research.
The purchase would have cost taxpayers an estimated $44 billion over its four-decade lifetime.
Trudeau said "tens of billions" of dollars would be saved by buying the less expensive planes, which he said would ensure that all the ships promised under the federal shipbuilding project can be built.
He said he would make sure the navy gets at least six offshore patrol ships for the Arctic.
The parliamentary budget officer warned late last year that there was little chance the Conservative government could afford to buy between six and eight Arctic offshore patrol vessels on its budget of $3.1 billion, saying it's more likely between three and four will get built.
The government rejected that conclusion.
Trudeau also promised to reduce the size of administration in the Department of National Defence, but he would not say if that meant members of the forces would be laid off.
The military needs "more teeth and less tail," he said, meaning more money for frontline resources and less on bureaucracy.
He added that he would also immediately launch a review of military spending, but promised to maintain current National Defence funding levels as well as planned increases.
The Liberal leader made the comments Sunday at Pier 21 in Halifax, a National Historic Site and home to the Canadian Museum of Immigration.
The party also released new English- and French-language ads on Sunday on television and social media.

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unless our neighboring countries acquire AWACS and know how to fully utilized it, I see no point in RSAF buying F35 at this moment. If you are already 3 notches above them, it doesn't make any practical difference to be 4 notches apart other than burning a big hole in your pocket.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We already have millions of foreigners in Spore & no doubt the PAP intends to let in millions more. With such an open door policy why do we need the jet for:confused:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Defense budget should be one of the key issues for debate at elections, except for Dr. Chee Soon Juan's short comment on this, I don't think it was even discussed. It is quite obvious that this plane is not suitable for RSFAF's use, and from all reports on its performance so far, it is an underperformer. That the F-35 should not be acquired by the air force has to be more heavily emphasized if this sentiment is to be noticed. Else, a few lucky RSAF pilots will be smiling ear-to-ear when they zoom by at some future NDP. Lucky buggers.

Cheers!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are a few interceptor models that will suit the purpose for the role. But for Singapore's need(s), I think fire-fighting aircraft will be more practical and useful. Helicopters for rescue and search missions too will be more beneficial for regional missions as well.

Cheers!

Just buy a Dong Feng 21. After all, the PRCs here can help teach us how to us it.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was in secondary school when to qualify to become a jet pilot for RSAF, one needed O levels in Math, Science, and 6/6 eyesight. Sec 1, limpei was already four-eyed, and my dreams of flying one of those BAC Strikemasters went down the drain. So sad. Soon, the airforce got A-4 Skyhawks, F-5 Tiger. and now, F-16 and F-15. It has become very advanced, and the pilot is the most prestigious position in nation's forces. Too bad for me, and worse still, my circle of friends ALL have a bad and negative attitude for the green uniform vocations (regretfully) and none of us made a career in it. Well, can't cry over the past, but still remain amazed at these jets.

Cheers!

We already have millions of foreigners in Spore & no doubt the PAP intends to let in millions more. With such an open door policy why do we need the jet for:confused:

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are a few interceptor models that will suit the purpose for the role. But for Singapore's need(s), I think fire-fighting aircraft will be more practical and useful. Helicopters for rescue and search missions too will be more beneficial for regional missions as well.

Cheers!

fire fighting useless. Indons dont want us.

A couple of DF-21s and DF-26s and no ship will dare approach Singapore.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I was in secondary school when to qualify to become a jet pilot for RSAF, one needed O levels in Math, Science, and 6/6 eyesight. Sec 1, limpei was already four-eyed, and my dreams of flying one of those BAC Strikemasters went down the drain. So sad. Soon, the airforce got A-4 Skyhawks, F-5 Tiger. and now, F-16 and F-15. It has become very advanced, and the pilot is the most prestigious position in nation's forces. Too bad for me, and worse still, my circle of friends ALL have a bad and negative attitude for the green uniform vocations (regretfully) and none of us made a career in it. Well, can't cry over the past, but still remain amazed at these jets.

Cheers!

I think you were lucky that you didn't have anything to do with the air force. Had a class mate who decided to join the air force as a technician after his O levels. He worked with the A4 Skyhawks. Unfortunately he found himself unwanted after the air force brought in new technicians with poly certs.

The air force never bothered to upgrade his skills & my friend was left to fend for himself.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal

the exceptional familee may need to make a beeline for the nearest usa airbase in case they kena lost the next erection. F35 sound like the next fastest ride out now until the concorde comes back online in 2 years time.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
the exceptional familee may need to make a beeline for the nearest usa airbase in case they kena lost the next erection. F35 sound like the next fastest ride out now until the concorde comes back online in 2 years time.

F-25 is not a transport jet. Unless super BG Lee and Ho Ching can fly.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
prestige is very important to our country,if we can spend 300m on a event that can boost our status a little bit or 1.87 billion on a stadium just so a bunch of worthless sg atheletes can win a couple of medals,we must go full steam ahead no holds barred.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think you were lucky that you didn't have anything to do with the air force. Had a class mate who decided to join the air force as a technician after his O levels. He worked with the A4 Skyhawks. Unfortunately he found himself unwanted after the air force brought in new technicians with poly certs.

The air force never bothered to upgrade his skills & my friend was left to fend for himself.

Don't blame the air force, anywhere else your friend worked would be the same, nobody upgrades skills for you, you have to do it yourself.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whether the Indonesians want Singapore's assistance or not is another issue, but having the means to and capability to tackle the situation justifies having the hardware on standby, ready when needed. An analogy to this is two brothers in the same school, when one is bullied, whether the other is needed to help out is one story, but nevertheless should avail oneself to help his brother at any time.

Cheers!

fire fighting useless. Indons dont want us.

A couple of DF-21s and DF-26s and no ship will dare approach Singapore.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looking back, the way my friends and me were, it was impossible that anyone would sign as a regular. The military's regimented lifestyle did not appeal to any of us. All we wanted then was to keep our hair long, stay out late at night, dress shabbily, we just weren't conformists! Reluctantly we served national service, and for me, it wasn't as bad as people made it out to be, actually, it was fun!

I suppose if one were to be a regular military person, one has to play the game in there. Mentally, I rejected it, so there was no way I would have joined.

Cheers!

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If Singapore proceeds with the acquisition of this aircraft, apparently this is the only reason.

Cheers!
Dun forget the kickbacks.....
Anyway I support buying the damn planes.....
Better then let whore jinx lose on gambling table.....
At least when revolution comes around can still sell for scrap metal