• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SDP legitimizes elections by its participation but then criticizes outcome

PoliticalDialogue

Alfrescian
Loyal
The following two paras were published in TOC:

‘Speaking before a crowd that filled the SDP’s headquarters and spilled out the front door, SDP secretary-general Chee Soon Juan argued that the power imbalances in the system meant “elections in Singapore can have one, and only one, outcome… PAP victory.”

Control over the mainstream media, the use of the People’s Association for party purposes and the placing of the Elections Department under the purview of the Prime Minister’s Office have stacked the deck against opposition parties, assuring the continuance of PAP dominance in Singaporean politics, Chee said.’

If CSJ has known this for a long while then why does the SDP take part in elections? By taking part in elections CSJ/SDP legitimizes and lends credibility to the process. When you not just do not win, but your party does very badly, you have no reason to cry foul. By crying foul, as CSJ has done, it is worse than sour grapes.

When WP fought what I considered a tactically brilliant battle for East Coast GRC, but still lost by just over 10 percentage points, the WP team did not provide a raft of poor excuses for coming up short. Instead, WP East Coast GRC team member Dr Daniel Goh was categorical in saying, "The people has (sic) spoken and the collective wisdom is always right."

One party conducts itself with great dignity – that’s why Dr Goh deserves to be made an NCMP (because he’s a credit to Singapore) – while another party opts for victimhood and self-pity.

http://www.theonlinecitizen.com/2015/09/sdp-sets-its-sights-on-fundamental-barriers-to-democracy/

butoh6050

Alfrescian
Loyal
I started typing a reply to this thread, then i heaved a big sigh and deleted my sentence.
Just got to move on.

Last edited:

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nice try by TS in his usual SDP-bashing mode.

When the NCMP scheme was first launched, the Workers' Party opposed the scheme. But then JBJ decided to take up the NCMP post after becoming the highest polling loser in the '97 Cheng San election.

Why is WP legitimizing the NCMP scheme by taking up the NCMP posts when it has always opposed the scheme on principle?

Pot calling the kettle black?

Attachments

• NCMP.png
    NCMP.png
    131 KB · Views: 367

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For this to work, all opposition parties must agree not to take part.
With only the pappy at nomination day, the election ''victory" will be hollow indeed.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
With only the pappy at nomination day, the election ''victory" will be hollow indeed.

Agree.

In the meantime, while opposition parties continue to contest the elections, they must also acknowledge and let their voters know that the electoral playing field is uneven: gerrymandering, Elections Dept under PMO, absolute control over state print and broadcast media with a $1 bil annual budget, abusing PA and its grassroots bodies for political purposes, using taxpayers' money for pork-barrelling, defamation lawsuits.

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal

Take a leaf from the way Prataman was 'elected'. Notwithstanding the fact that there wasn't any election but they still go around referring him as 'elected president'. The objective of boycotting the election is to bring upon international spotlight and follow by pressure and sanctions from international community. I don't think this is going to happen for as long as we continue to ally USA on diplomatic front. Hence It unlikely pap is going to be bothered and will still refer themselves as ' elected government'.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
All the Opposition parties should continue to harass the PAP until there the Elections Department become an independent body with the head appointed by a panel with equal representation by the top five political parties.

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
By blaming the system, csj absolve himself from being accountable for his failure to deliver result for 2 decades. And I am not even talking about hitting the elusive 50% but getting past the 40% mark.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Aiyoh! Politics folder still alive ah? Let me tell you why it is foolish to decline ncmp seat.
Because there is something called nmp, which is an even bigger joke. Special interest groups representing dissenting interests can voice out their displeasure at the PAP, displacing the need for opposition to represent them in parliament. Got seat just sit lah, act macho for what? SG is no place for bravado.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
By blaming the system, csj absolve himself from being accountable for his failure to deliver result for 2 decades. And I am not even talking about hitting the elusive 50% but getting past the 40% mark.

SDP has emerged as the second best party and I think that is commendable.

How many also noticed that this time in 2015, "Chee's party" has done better than "Chiam's party", despite all the talk that Chee "ousted" Chiam.