• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The two faces of Kong Hee

dancingshoes

Alfrescian
Loyal
by Yen Feng

THE first time I met Kong Hee was in 2009. I was brought to him backstage after a Christmas concert put up by the church and introduced to him as a reporter. We exchanged the usual pleasantries. After he heard I had studied in New York on a scholarship, he offered me a job. I declined. He was shuffled away by a bodyguard in a suit into his dressing room.

Our encounter was over in less than a minute. That was my first impression of him. Not the God-fearing pastor, nor the doting husband and father, but a man who took chances, and quickly moved on when told no.

Today is the last day of closing arguments for the trial. As Kong Hee’s lawyers gave their final oral submissions, the case against him that has lasted almost three years since his arrest in 2012 will renew speculation of his fate. Will he walk free, or go to jail? If convicted, he could face a lifetime behind bars. As a free man, he will face the rest of his life in infamy. Either way, life for him will never quite be the same.

Judging by the final submissions from both the defence and prosecution, the case seems to hang on Kong Hee the man, and whether his most trusted advisors have been able to say no to him.

Five other church leaders besides him have been accused of misusing some $50 million in church funds to finance his wife Sun Ho’s music career in the United States. But Kong Hee stands at the epicentre of the case not just because he is the church’s founder.

It is because as the founder, he is also its congregation’s spiritual father.

At the height of the church’s popularity in 2010, it had an average weekly attendance of more than 33,000 members who gave generously in time and money. When the church wanted to erect a bigger building, some members contemplated selling their homes to donate to the church’s Building Fund. This may be an extreme example but it was not unusual. Such was the devotion the man commanded.

I had spoken to Kong Hee for less than a minute, but I would go on to spend countless hours reading about him and hearing stories from church members and others in the Christian community who knew him personally. I often wondered if they were talking about the same person.

The judge must be wondering the same thing.

At the heart of Kong’s legal defence is that he did not know that his actions could be criminal. He had acted “in good faith”, with God in one ear and the advice of lawyers and auditors in the other. He was just following instructions.

The prosecution doesn’t buy it. Chief Prosecutor Mavis Chionh in her final submissions on Monday described Kong as a “well-practised liar” who knew exactly what he was doing. Even though it was Xtron Productions that managed Ms Ho’s career, its directors had acted only in accordance to Kong’s wishes, so the prosecution’s case goes.

Who’s right? The people I spoke with over the two years I reported on this story would probably say the charismatic leader was neither persona exclusively.

Former church leaders and members who have been disenchanted by his management style have used words like “puppeteer” and “God” to describe him. Although his was one of the largest congregations in Singapore, he preferred to keep close to him a handful of loyalists, known as his “inner circle”, which include some of the five people who sit at his table in court. If you are disloyal, you are “expunged” or “ex-communicated”. You lose access. Your funds are cut off. You’re no longer “family” – no matter what message is put through the official channels to the rest of the church.

Whether this is true or just talk from disgruntled members who have fallen out of his favour is anyone’s guess. Others I’ve spoken with say he is an able and involved leader. A visionary. Someone who cares about the big picture but also pays attention to details. A person who remembers the names of your children. Someone who takes time to pray with you and for you, even if he’s met you only once.

No matter which side of the fence you’re on, there are facts not in question. Kong Hee, 51, was a student at Raffles Institution and Raffles Junior College. He has a degree from NUS in Computer and Information Sciences. He also has several theological degrees, including a Master of Divinity and Doctorate in Theology from an American seminary. But to non-church goers, his fame has more often been linked to his pop-star wife and the spectacle of his rock-concert style services, rather than for the substance of his sermons.

He is also known for his devotion to his wife of 23 years, who suffered two miscarriages before their first and only son Dayan was born in 2005. Dayan was named after Moshe Dayan, an Israeli military general and politician, whom Kong admired greatly.

It was not an easy birth. Ms Ho was bedridden for months, threw up everything she ate, and bled often. Friends close to the couple said Kong became especially protective of Ms Ho after the miscarriages plunged her into a deep depression, something she has spoken to the press about. He wanted to do everything he could to make her happy, and he was not alone in this. Ms Ho was a much-loved personality herself who sang in church often. Church members and employees idolised her. Many frequented her concerts and bought her albums several times over as a show of love and solidarity.

In 2003, this support came under intense media scrutiny when a church member Roland Poon charged that the church was essentially paying for Ms Ho’s music career, which was also part of an evangelical initiative called the Crossover Project to convert non-believers.

Mr Poon’s accusation was viewed widely by the church as an act of disloyalty, and even though he later retracted his statement, it did lead to some fundamental changes concerning the relationship between the church and Ms Ho’s career. Xtron was set up. A new, private “Multi-Purpose Account” was set up.

Members trusted by the inner circle were now invited to redirect their cash tithes discreetly to this account rather than through regular donor envelopes typically handed out during services. Others gave their donations as “love gifts” to church leaders, who then deposited the money into the private account. A source close to the couple told me Kong would fly to Los Angeles, where Ms Ho was based, with cash withdrawn from this private account to pay for their sprawling estate in Hollywood Hills, which had a monthly rental of $28,000, and staff including a nutritionist, fitness instructor, singing coach, and live-in nanny. This was later reported in several local newspapers.

Word spread of the couple’s lavish lifestyle and it seemed the pact between the church’s members and its support for the Crossover Project was starting to come loose.

Shortly after I met Kong Hee in 2009, I was sitting with one of my contacts when the name Roland Poon came up. In another meeting with a different contact a few months later, I was given an envelope that contained an email receipt of a donation to the Multi-Purpose Account. I was persuaded to look into this. Apparently, I was not the only person being tipped off because in May 2010, officers from the Commercial Affairs Department showed up unannounced at the church’s Suntec office at dawn and seized all of its computers and company records.

The six people including Kong were arrested two years later, in 2012, and here we are.

I haven’t met Kong Hee again since our fleeting introduction, and I doubt I ever will. But if I did, I would wish him well. And I pray he might live up to my initial impression of him. Not the God-fearing pastor, nor the doting husband and father, but a man who took chances, and quickly moved on with his life – whether the court now will say yes, or no, to his innocence.

http://themiddleground.sg/2015/09/15/two-faces-kong-hee/

dancingshoes

Alfrescian
Loyal
kong hee is a very smart man, his folly support and undying love for his wife brought him down. many men's life are wrecked by women, so is he. what a pity...

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
kong hee is a very smart man, his folly support and undying love for his wife brought him down. many men's life are wrecked by women, so is he. what a pity...

Christians should know about the story of King Ahab and Jezebel... a wayward wife turning her husband towards false gods. :wink:

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal

he is a very cunning man exploiting many stupid sheep!! It is a miracle that we still have so many naive asses in our midst!! Take a closer look at him & his horse-faced wife you will realise what I mean!

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
To tell someone that his money will grow ten fold if he gives it to him is no easy feat too. But then again with Sinkees, you never know. Some are as dumb as hell.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To tell someone that his money will grow ten fold if he gives it to him is no easy feat too. But then again with Sinkees, you never know. Some are as dumb as hell.

It's quite easy if your followers believe there is a kingdom of heaven waiting for them after death, and heavenly mansions await them.

Funny how only the Muslims get grief for their promise of 72 virgins in the afterlife. One bribes with women, the other bribes with real estate. :wink:

fupikee

Alfrescian
Loyal

Who is a man but a mere mortal amongst the greats....many a country or even an empire were wrecked by the shenanigans of woe men...just recall the misdeeds of Helen of Troy, Wu Chi Tian, Concubine Yang Kuei Fei, Dowager Ci Xi....and of course the most famous and powderful of all....THE JINX.

The worst is yet to be...just you wait and see....:(:(:(

HK14K

Alfrescian
Loyal
by Yen Feng

THE first time I met Kong Hee was in 2009. I was brought to him backstage after a Christmas concert put up by the church and introduced to him as a reporter. We exchanged the usual pleasantries. After he heard I had studied in New York on a scholarship, he offered me a job. I declined. He was shuffled away by a bodyguard in a suit into his dressing room.

Our encounter was over in less than a minute. That was my first impression of him. Not the God-fearing pastor, nor the doting husband and father, but a man who took chances, and quickly moved on when told no.

Today is the last day of closing arguments for the trial. As Kong Hee’s lawyers gave their final oral submissions, the case against him that has lasted almost three years since his arrest in 2012 will renew speculation of his fate. Will he walk free, or go to jail? If convicted, he could face a lifetime behind bars. As a free man, he will face the rest of his life in infamy. Either way, life for him will never quite be the same.

I haven’t met Kong Hee again since our fleeting introduction, and I doubt I ever will. But if I did, I would wish him well. And I pray he might live up to my initial impression of him. Not the God-fearing pastor, nor the doting husband and father, but a man who took chances, and quickly moved on with his life – whether the court now will say yes, or no, to his innocence.

http://themiddleground.sg/2015/09/15/two-faces-kong-hee/

If voting for PAP is deem stupid by that 30% anti-PAP Singaporeans, then i would think there are more foolish people in Singapore than those who vote for PAP.....

I was asked to be a christian in the past but when I got to know that I've to contribute about 20% of my monthly income to the church which is compulsory, I went off.....

Kong Hee is just using the name of God to provide his wife with a better life n career path and the worst thing is, till now he still doesn't admit his mistakes and still using the name of God to find excuses for himself.....

A pity for Serina Wee. Not pretty but cute enough and she have to spend time behind bars!!!!

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
he is a very cunning man exploiting many stupid sheep!! It is a miracle that we still have so many naive asses in our midst!! Take a closer look at him & his horse-faced wife you will realise what I mean!

Don't insult JW5. He is undergoing treatment now. Don't need no provocation.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's quite easy if your followers believe there is a kingdom of heaven waiting for them after death, and heavenly mansions await them.

Funny how only the Muslims get grief for their promise of 72 virgins in the afterlife. One bribes with women, the other bribes with real estate. :wink:

Is that what Erection2011 and JW5 told their followers? Never attend meetings and no explanations will get fucked. Like how we played these games in lower primary.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hes a shrewd businessman,able to capitalize on religion and daft and stupid sinkies to make himself a fortune.just like the PAP and breadtalk qeorge quek,the only difference is the type of bullshit they sell.

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal

Kong Hee Fatt Choi is a Biggest Cheat in the name of Christianity, he used
ReLeegion and to make people boolieve in him and gave the 10% monthly salary contribution, these are numb skull without brain would boolieve in Kong Hee Fatt Choi preaching, he and Horse Face wife should be jailed for a Long time!! She is definitely an accomplice in this Church SCAM pretend to promote their ReLeegion.

I am not against any religion but this bastard really out to cheat and scam those who go to his church his to preach.

Horse face wife stay in US rent a villa at a whopping US$26K a month where does the money come from?? surely its from the hidden $26million scam money.
How daily expenses, recording all these a big money where does the money come from?? Horse face is answerable too!!

prancku

Alfrescian
Loyal
hes a shrewd businessman,able to capitalize on religion and daft and stupid sinkies to make himself a fortune.just like the PAP and breadtalk qeorge quek,the only difference is the type of bullshit they sell.

Come on...those that are foolish when it comes to religion are not confined to Singaporeans, don't just sweep us down the drain.

In the US and Europe, there are plenty of cults too, and besides giving up all of their wealth/possessions to the leader, the foolish fuckard followers also commit all kinds of crimes in the name of religion. Remember Praise the Lord? (money solicited through television programmes), Jonestown? (one thousand dead by poison, many of which were forced to drink the poison), Charles Manson? (massacres of two innocent families), etc, etc In Japan, who but religious cult members carried out poison gas attacks in the subway? (many people died on their way to work, how innocently unfortunate can that be?) :eek::eek::eek:

These fuckards agreed to do whatever they were told to do by their cult leaders .... giving up some percentage of their monthly income is just ....peanuts!!!