• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is the huge attendance at Opps rally all a farce ?

RandomNexus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Did sinkies go there night after night for pure entertainment ?

I brought my granny there in the past and since that first moment, she has been bugging me to bring her to all WP rallies. I sianed. When asked if she seriously likes WP and their policies, she replied "damned, you cannot get better entertainment than these and it beats all the melodramas she gets from TV." There you have it, even my granny loves this entertainment and what an atmosphere! :biggrin:

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
I brought my granny there in the past and since that first moment, she has been bugging me to bring her to all WP rallies. I sianed. When asked if she seriously likes WP and their policies, she replied "damned, you cannot get better entertainment than these and it beats all the melodramas she gets from TV." There you have it, even my granny loves this entertainment and what an atmosphere! :biggrin:

What an ungrateful dog your granny is. PAP built all this from nothing. As a pioneer generation she got to enjoy all the improvements brought about by PAP.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is not a farce. The crowd is not a representative sample of the population that support wp in the constituencies they are contesting in. Many in crowds are from constituencies that wp is not the opposition. Many in the crowd are there to see show, they are not supporters of wp.

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
And to think singkies voted for more enslavement. ..n left to die later. ..i thought singkies r daft but I did not know they r retarded too...

And rice is too expensive to feed singkie cows..grass is free n feed free get some productivity..ok wat..

贱人一代。All 1965 to 2000 Singaporeans must be cleansed by no jobs and the elderly should be jailed for staying in the house from 6am to 12am. They are responsible for cleaning the estates.

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Low Thia Khang, Sylvia Lim, Dr Chee and many Opps candidates have been mistaken by the huge turnout of "supporters" at their rallies.

Despite their rousing cheers and shouts of "Worker's Party " or "SDP " amidst blowing horns and flapping party flags, their hearts were far from supporting them. In the quiet of the polling station, they drew the cross on PAP. Such was the harsh truth the Opps candidates had to face with after the results were announced.

I feel for Dr Chee. I expected a close fight and I didn't expect him to lose by such a big margin. I hope he takes the setback in the right spirit. Like his daughter E Lyn said and I want to say the same to him, " Just keep going and don't give up."

Last edited:

kopirui

Alfrescian
Loyal
All these reminded me of the 1988 elections when the huge crowds and fervent support make everyone thought Francis Seow will surely win in Eunos. However it came as a shock when his team managed to secure only 49.11% of valid votes and lost to the late Dr Tay Eng Soon.

You get this sick feeling in the stomach when there is such a big disconnect between what you see and hear on the ground and the eventual results. I'm sure many locals are wondering what happened.:confused:

lky did said that tang liang hong can gather 47% vote in less than 9 days of campaing..he is very dangerous man

RandomNexus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Low Thia Khang, Sylvia Lim, Dr Chee and many Opps candidates have been mistaken by the huge turnout of "supporters" at their rallies.

Despite their rousing cheers and shouts of "Worker's Party " or "SDP " amidst blowing horns and flapping party flags, their hearts were far from supporting them. In the quiet of the polling station, they drew the cross on PAP. Such was the harsh truth the Opps candidates had to face with after the results were announced.

I feel for Dr Chee. I expected a close fight and I didn't expect him to lose by such a big margin. I hope he takes the setback in the right spirit. Like his daughter E Lyn said and I want to say the same to him, " Just keep going and don't give up."

Is this your first time to rallies? You have just joined SBF in 2015 ...

Most old timers we know have been to rallies for decades and we all know it means nothing. The best ever rally I recalled is Cheng San 1997 last day in Yio Chu Kang stadium and back then, SBF was full of updates and folks were fun to interact with before the rise of social media in recent years. Gone are these great folks from this forum. After JBJ or Tang Liang, I cannot remember who finished the last speech, cheers went on for a good half an hour in the stadium especially the stage and people refused to leave. The stadium was jam packed and crowds formed outside was huge. If you are outside, there is no way you can enter the stadium. The atmosphere was electric and there was a sense of expectation that things would be different. Unofficially, the crowds began to cheer and demonstrated peacefully outside the stadium for the next 2-3 hours - thousands walked round the industrial estate around the stadium cheering on WP. There was such a sense of camaraderie. The media was excited and filmed the whole epic but this was never shown on TV. We all knew what was the sense of People's Power then coz cars stopped to allow the crowds to cross and police allowed the procession to continue as there were too many of them.

We all thought WP would win finally. Result was otherwise. Though I heard news of last minute ballot boxes arrived at the centre that changed the outcome on that same night. Later this surfaced up in the internet discussions. But this is not the main point. Since then, there have been huge crowds but I recalled it has not matched 1997 and we all knew by then there was no way you can tell how the electorate can vote based on the size.

For SDP, I want to say it that the crowds were not as enthusiastic as those of WP crowds. CSJ has improved tremendously no doubt and given SDP did not get good crowd support in the past, they must have felt this would be different.

This time, PAP has played it fair. You can get all the broadcasts of all the rallies on the internet and you do not need to go to rally to hear it out.

End of day, just remember crowd rally has never been an indicator of final support of any party. Crowds nowadays are more less boisterous.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
anyone who judges the popularity of a party by the rally crowd size, the euphoria and noisy positive response has got to be a moron.

image.jpg