• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Blame the WP and not the PAP for this election result

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
The groundwork for this election failure for the oppo parties was laid throughout the last 4 years since the 2011 elections. I blame this on the failure of the WP and the weak performance they produced in Parliament. The whole hearted endorsement of PAP bills and their inability to whack the PAP under protection of Parliamentary privilege is an embarrassment. A single person like Roy Ngerng had more oratory skill and reached and fired more Singaporean imagination on the CPF issue then the WP did in all the years they were in Parliament. If the WP had been on the attack right from the start instead of being on the defence from the fake Town Council mismanagement issue brought up by the PAP, they would have emboldened more of the populace. If the WP had been as relentless as Roy on the CPF issue, people would have really admired that and be more confident in voting other members of the party in. Roy forced the PAP to go on the defensive on the CPF issue. Instead, the WP was timid and weak and did no expose many of the PAP skeletons. For example, LTK could have easily stood up in Parliament and ask Lee Hsien Loong whether he is related in by marriage or blood to Tony Tan. He could have also stood up in Parliament and ask whether Lawrence Wong is related to Won Kan Seng. These simple questions with no accusations attached would show the people how corruptedly connected the PAP are. The WP could have gone on the attack on so many fronts. If the PAP adjusted or changed even some policies due to a strong WP attack, voters would have confidence that they can do more with additional members in Parliament. But did no such things. What kind of a so called opposition party is so meek when elected to Parliament? It boggles the mind. People don’t trust them, I don’t trust them. People don’t vote for people they don’t know or trust. Its better to vote for the assholes you know rather then the ones you don’t.

jw5

Loyal
So are you saying that if WP didn't contest GE 2015, the votes for the opposition candidates would have been better?

Enough to win even a few seats, let's say 6 which is the number WP manage to hang on to?

After you agree that sinkies have been indoctrinated over many years and tend to be moderate, conservative, middle ground cautious, scared this scared that types?

I'm not saying that WP's performance has been great, but most of us are convinced that they still have the most support from the key voter demographic above. If you are thinking that other opposition parties would have been more successful BEFORE the successful indoctrination of sinkies, then maybe.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This elections also proved that GRCs are not an excuse. Oppies lost in all SMCs except for Hougang, which also registered a significant drop in votes.

da dick

Alfrescian
Loyal
if thats true. then doctor chee and reform party shld have won big. 67% sure you're another fake oppo support now. wanna explain yourslef?

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The groundwork for this election failure for the oppo parties was laid throughout the last 4 years since the 2011 elections. I blame this on the failure of the WP and the weak performance they produced in Parliament. The whole hearted endorsement of PAP bills and their inability to whack the PAP under protection of Parliamentary privilege is an embarrassment. A single person like Roy Ngerng had more oratory skill and reached and fired more Singaporean imagination on the CPF issue then the WP did in all the years they were in Parliament. If the WP had been on the attack right from the start instead of being on the defence from the fake Town Council mismanagement issue brought up by the PAP, they would have emboldened more of the populace. If the WP had been as relentless as Roy on the CPF issue, people would have really admired that and be more confident in voting other members of the party in. Roy forced the PAP to go on the defensive on the CPF issue. Instead, the WP was timid and weak and did no expose many of the PAP skeletons. For example, LTK could have easily stood up in Parliament and ask Lee Hsien Loong whether he is related in by marriage or blood to Tony Tan. He could have also stood up in Parliament and ask whether Lawrence Wong is related to Won Kan Seng. These simple questions with no accusations attached would show the people how corruptedly connected the PAP are. The WP could have gone on the attack on so many fronts. If the PAP adjusted or changed even some policies due to a strong WP attack, voters would have confidence that they can do more with additional members in Parliament. But did no such things. What kind of a so called opposition party is so meek when elected to Parliament? It boggles the mind. People don’t trust them, I don’t trust them. People don’t vote for people they don’t know or trust. Its better to vote for the assholes you know rather then the ones you don’t.

I totally agree with you. The WP is tolerated by the PAP because of its docility. WP was always reacting instead of checking the PAP.

The Opposition failed to strike a narrative that the people could relate to, even though there are so many issues that irks sinkees.

Don't bother about elections until the Elections Department is an independent body.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Probably very true.
The WP did not ask about the losses by Temasek Holdings, and the apparent conflict of interest re: PM and his wife as senior executive at Temasek.
If each one of their 5 MP's take turns to ask questions, PAP MP's have to respond.
Which is why I believe that Chee Soon Juan would make an excellent MP for Singaproeans.

jw5

Loyal
That's what we believe in this forum. That's not what the majority of the electorate in SG believe. Back to the point of indoctrination and moderate, middle ground, cautious, kiasukiaseekiachenghu, conservative types.

Probably very true.
The WP did not ask about the losses by Temasek Holdings, and the apparent conflict of interest re: PM and his wife as senior executive at Temasek.
If each one of their 5 MP's take turns to ask questions, PAP MP's have to respond.
Which is why I believe that Chee Soon Juan would make an excellent MP for Singaproeans.

billisnotathome

Alfrescian
Loyal
The only direction the finger of blame should be pointing is at the Singaporean electorate. They have voted for what they want, let's hope the PAP give it to them with both barrels. I will greet every price and tax increase, every train breakdown, every adverse AGO report with the most raucous of applause.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
So are you saying that if WP didn't contest GE 2015, the votes for the opposition candidates would have been better?

Enough to win even a few seats, let's say 6 which is the number WP manage to hang on to?

After you agree that sinkies have been indoctrinated over many years and tend to be moderate, conservative, middle ground cautious, scared this scared that types?

I'm not saying that WP's performance has been great, but most of us are convinced that they still have the most support from the key voter demographic above. If you are thinking that other opposition parties would have been more successful BEFORE the successful indoctrination of sinkies, then maybe.

That's not what I am saying. I am saying that if the WP had been led by someone like Chee or Roy, and produced the same quality of research and argument that these 2 did and used said arguments constantly against the PAP in Parliament, it would awaken more people to the fact that someone is on their side. Who here thinks the WP represented them well in Parliament? Who here thinks the WP fought hard against added immigration, fake degrees, Sinkies losing their jobs to FTs, etc. If LTK applied the same fierce rhetoric in his stadium rallies as he did in parliament, I can guarantee u his party would win more votes and more seats. Enough to form govt? Probably not. But enough to wake up the PAP and hopefully get them to change some of their policies.

These fucks couldn't even stand up in Parliament, protected from all legal action, and tell the PAP they cannot put a 16 year old kid in jail for speaking his mind. I would never vote for the WP after seeing what they did. Its only netizens and people like Roy that are creating awareness of the issues. Singaporeans are not middle ground, nor moderate, but ignorant. If sinkies were middle ground they would never vote for the PAP, a party that in most countries would be extreme right wing. I don't think they are so scared as ignorant. That is the role of the oppo. when you are in Parliament, you have an obligation to undo as much of the indoctrination and assuage as much of the fear as you can. But has the WP done that? Its on them too.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I totally agree with you. The WP is tolerated by the PAP because of its docility. WP was always reacting instead of checking the PAP.

The Opposition failed to strike a narrative that the people could relate to, even though there are so many issues that irks sinkees.

Don't bother about elections until the Elections Department is an independent body.

Yes, they are so well tolerated, I think they are in cahoots with them at times.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
if thats true. then doctor chee and reform party shld have won big. 67% sure you're another fake oppo support now. wanna explain yourslef?

When people see the WP has become meek and timid once elected to Parliament and earning $16K a month, they have no confidence that Chee and the Reform party with all their fiery rhetoric ala LTK would not do the same. If WP had fucked PAP upside down in Parliament and force them into changes, then people will have more confidence in all oppo parties in general.

kopirui

Alfrescian
Loyal
Probably very true.

stuipig sinkie only worry about their town facilties being take good care of.(etc coverwalkway,buling repainting, lift upgrade)
they are not interested in democracy, isd,isa , human right ,gic loss, temasek loss , 6.9million, high cost

PTADER

Alfrescian
Loyal
The groundwork for this election failure for the oppo parties was laid throughout the last 4 years since the 2011 elections. I blame this on the failure of the WP and the weak performance they produced in Parliament.

A minority us have pointed this glaring underperformance and how utterly fucking useless each of the the $200,000/year WP Parliamentarians are. We were cursed, mocked and ridiculed because of the "success" of WP in 2011 and what the party and its supporters thought, was its ascendancy. When questioned on WP's continued silence on matters affecting Singaporeans and even their own very party, the bitch Sylvia Lim, had the audacity and temerity to haughtily and pompously declare that:

“But we are in Parliament, they (other opposition parties) are not. We will make use of the platform we have.” WP Chairman, Sylvia Lim's declaration to Lianhe Zaobao on 06 May 2012

So we have a curious situation where the PAP was trying very hard to be humble after its 2011 setbacks while these WP fucks continued to be full of themselves and fucking arrogant. Just think back of how these WP assholes and supporters treated the "minor" opposition parties and their leaders with total contempt, absolute disdain and disregard.

These WP fuckers like to complain that the other opposition parties are dragging them down. With their totally fucked up performance and unbelievable incompetency, the argument can be made that Singaporeans are now understandably fearful of voting the opposition after having witness how fucked up the WP Parliamentarians have been, be it in Parliament or in running a Town Council.

My hope is that these WP arseholes gets completely wiped out in the next election. It's a pity they manage to scrape through Aljunied in this election since this means that each of these absolutely useless WP fucks will be able to make another million dollars in MP allowances for being fucking useless and hopeless.

NanoSpeed

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is the role of the oppo. when you are in Parliament, you have an obligation to undo as much of the indoctrination and assuage as much of the fear as you can. But has the WP done that? Its on them too.

You are tackling the root of the problem. WP, in a way, has accepted Singaporeans as they are. If Singaporeans are kiasu, we will try to make our party appeal to kiasu Singaporeans. But you are trying to get rid of the kiasu in Singaporeans.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The groundwork for this election failure for the oppo parties was laid throughout the last 4 years since the 2011 elections. I blame this on the failure of the WP and the weak performance they produced in Parliament.

Typical losers blaming everyone except themselves. :rolleyes:

If you walk into a room full of sinkies from today onwards, you'll have to accept the fact that if there are 10 of them on the premises, statistically 7 of them voted for the PAP.

Assuming that you actually voted for the opposition, it means that only 2 of the 9 you see before you actually cast their vote against the ruling party.

If you haven't learned by now that there are a huge number of closet supporters of the Pappies, I'm afraid that nothing can be done to save you.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
stuipig sinkie only worry about their town facilties being take good care of.(etc coverwalkway,buling repainting, lift upgrade)
they are not interested in democracy, isd,isa , human right ,gic loss, temasek loss , 6.9million, high cost

They cannot make the connection between the 2. Why is their lift upgrading so costly when they don't even own the flat themselves? because their TC lost so much money on mini bonds and now must charge them to make up the difference. Same when their conservancy fee goes up too.

Why is their transportation fares going up all the time? This is a micro issue for them. The answer is on a national scale. The answer is because Temasek loss so much money, they are putting the squeeze on all their subsidiary companies like SMRT to come up with more profits. Hence, SMRT raise fares.

Why do they have such a long line up and wait for their children to get into the school nearby that they want to send them? That is a micro issue. The answer is because 2 million FTs let in by PAP also have kids that they compete for spots in schools with.

Its the role of WP and oppos to point these issues out to the populace. Why can't WP stand up in Parliament and ask the Minister for National Development why Tenants who don't own their flats have to pay property tax, pay for upgrades, and pay conservancy fees? Should not all these bill be paid by the owner of the flat, HDB? Like that, this kind of simple fuck question they cannot ask? One simple question like that would make tens of thousands of flat dwellers sit up, scratch their arse, and ask "yar hor, why I have to pay like that"?

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
A minority us have pointed this glaring underperformance and how utterly fucking useless each of the the $200,000/year WP Parliamentarians are. We were cursed, mocked and ridiculed because of the "success" of WP in 2011 and what the party and its supporters thought, was its ascendancy. When questioned on WP's continued silence on matters affecting Singaporeans and even their own very party, the bitch Sylvia Lim, had the audacity and temerity to haughtily and pompously declare that:

“But we are in Parliament, they (other opposition parties) are not. We will make use of the platform we have.” WP Chairman, Sylvia Lim's declaration to Lianhe Zaobao on 06 May 2012

So we have a curious situation where the PAP was trying very hard to be humble after its 2011 setbacks while these WP fucks continued to be full of themselves and fucking arrogant. Just think back of how these WP assholes and supporters treated the "minor" opposition parties and their leaders with total contempt, absolute disdain and disregard.

These WP fuckers like to complain that the other opposition parties are dragging them down. With their totally fucked up performance and unbelievable incompetency, the argument can be made that Singaporeans are now understandably fearful of voting the opposition after having witness how fucked up the WP Parliamentarians have been, be it in Parliament or in running a Town Council.

My hope is that these WP arseholes gets completely wiped out in the next election. It's a pity they manage to scrape through Aljunied in this election since this means that each of these absolutely useless WP fucks will be able to make another million dollars in MP allowances for being fucking useless and hopeless.

I agree. These WP ass holes and their supporters,when questioned why would any sane person managing their TC would pay 4 individuals such amount of money in total of millions per year and these WP arrogant bastards would retort, hey look even the Pappy wards are doing ghe same.

I have said it is as if the voters are the Boss and he questioned this particular employee (WP) of his about his lacklustre performance and managing his work and this arrogant employee would retort back, hey why don' t you as Boss question OTHER employee who also has short coming.

This employee (WP) need to be fired!

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
WP's tepid performance in parliament had one effect: it reduced swing voters' desire to have an opposition check on the PAP in parliament. They see that having 7 MPs didn't make much of a difference: the oppo MPs didn't really speak up for them on key issues, bang tables, ask the tough questions, the PAP continued ramming their policies down their throats. So why need more oppo?

But this cannot explain the massive nationwide 10% swing. It only contributes to the main factors of new immigrant's votes, fear factor, goodies and cash payouts, SG50 & LKY's death. At the most it reduces swing voters' faith in the notion that having opposition in parliament solves their problems. In itself it's not a push factor.