• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

We underestimated SG50 and LKY effect on the general election

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
sibei sian.
what is wrong with all the result

Opposition fought like ruling party and PAP fought like underdog.
WP keeps defending themselves on AHPETC. It is PAP snake pit. They were not charged for any wrongdoing so should have just let it be.
I attended their rally. They not humble. Never even once thank Aljunied residents for their support and patience all these years.
Now even if they retain Aljunied they are screwed.

freedalas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Okay .... after a terrible night we have some idea of what went wrong:

(a) People across the board were concerned by AHPETC and were worried oppo cannot run TC well

(b) Sinkees were too easily placated by piecemeal measures like slowdown of FT import and the cooling measures of the housing market. They failed to see the bigger picture. Too focussed on the piecemeal measures and did not realize the broad policies are intact.

(c) SG50 + post LKY effect lingers in memory of older voters.

Other than the reasons you stated, there are a few other reasons that could have led to the huge swing to the PAP:

i) The problems going on in Malaysia especially the 1MDB issue. Voters can't help but to observe how much better Singapore has done compared to Malaysia after 50 years.

ii) The poor performance by Chen Show Mao in parliament. Voters had high expectations of him but were deeply disappointed as he is almost a non entity in parliament. So voters are no longer impressed with candidates with good academic credentials as they may turn out to be another Chen.

iii) The circulation of the bookies list with so many votes going to the opposition causes concern among the middle ground and so they voted PAP to balance things up for fear of PAP not becoming the government. Some even say the bookies list was sent out by the PAP to cause anxiety.

iv) About 200,000 to 300,000 new citizens voters (PAP achieved its aim of loose immigration policy).

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tuck Yew must be regretting his decision to resign. Breakdown some more also nevermind lah.

Not true. A plum and cushy GLC executive job will be waiting for him. Who knows he may become the SMRT or ComfortDelgro Chairman and work from within to fix the track faults.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am very disappointed that Swee Swee and Vivi were re-elected, that inspite of all the undesirable policies and challenges resulting from the previous government, Singaporeans voted overwhelmingly in favour of them.

I feel sorry for Singaporeans, and this "GRC" system.

Wish the non-PAP good luck and good health. Please try harder the next GE.

I like to wish Dr. Chee Soon Juan and Prof Paul A. Tambyah to continue their passion and perserverance.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
does singaporeans think this is a joke?does sinkies think this is some kind of feel good happy happy funtime aimai aimai suka suka popularity contest or something,after everything that has happened in the past 10 years,do they not realise what is stake?do they not know what is in store for their future?sinkies truly deserve their fate,if this island sank into the ocean like atlantis,the daft and stupid peasants truly deserves it.

billisnotathome

Alfrescian
Loyal
What we underestimated was the cowardice and stupidity of Singaporeans. 2011 was the freak result. The swing voters will never stay with the opposition, no matter the quality of candidates you give them. It is finished.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
does singaporeans think this is a joke?does sinkies think this is some kind of feel good happy happy funtime aimai aimai suka suka popularity contest or something,after everything that has happened in the past 10 years,do they not realise what is stake?do they not know what is in store for their future?sinkies truly deserve their fate,if this island sank into the ocean like atlantis,the daft and stupid peasants truly deserves it.

That is what I do not understand, regardless of the feelings for the funeral, and the glory and joy from the SG 50 celebrations.
It is the present and future that is more important.
I hate to say it, but with such an overwhelming support of the PAP candidates (and their policies), then may be Singaporeans should not complain about immigration and the resulting crowded space, crowded MRT and buses, undesirable body odour and anti-social (based on SG's norms), CPF, scholarships and university places for foreigners, etc.

HakkaThaileen

Alfrescian
Loyal
Okay .... after a terrible night we have some idea of what went wrong:

(a) People across the board were concerned by AHPETC and were worried oppo cannot run TC well

(b) Sinkees were too easily placated by piecemeal measures like slowdown of FT import and the cooling measures of the housing market. They failed to see the bigger picture. Too focussed on the piecemeal measures and did not realize the broad policies are intact.

(c) SG50 + post LKY effect lingers in memory of older voters.

Since the last GE, about 200,000 to 300,000 citizenship were issued to FTs from China, India, Burma, The Philippines, Vietnam... It's a kind of upgrading to these new citizens. They are doing "答谢神恩" (thanks giving) in return for their new leaves of life.

Last edited:

davetan3

Alfrescian
Loyal
So many new citizens? I estimate 80,000 since GE2011.
About 20k per year.

Other than the reasons you stated, there are a few other reasons that could have led to the huge swing to the PAP:

i) The problems going on in Malaysia especially the 1MDB issue. Voters can't help but to observe how much better Singapore has done compared to Malaysia after 50 years.

ii) The poor performance by Chen Show Mao in parliament. Voters had high expectations of him but were deeply disappointed as he is almost a non entity in parliament. So voters are no longer impressed with candidates with good academic credentials as they may turn out to be another Chen.

iii) The circulation of the bookies list with so many votes going to the opposition causes concern among the middle ground and so they voted PAP to balance things up for fear of PAP not becoming the government. Some even say the bookies list was sent out by the PAP to cause anxiety.

iv) About 200,000 to 300,000 new citizens voters (PAP achieved its aim of loose immigration policy).

rover2sg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Too many voters bought into the nostalgia, the hype of SG50 and the post-LKY feel-good factor.

It seems that the people out there do not wish to vote in a plural, diverse Parliament yet.

The opposition has its work cut out for it.

There are two main reasons: The upper middle class (although not happen with PAP for various causes) were afraid of "freak" election result. Hence voted for PAP.

Secondly, the new "citizens" all voted for PAP.

Sorry to add also that not many of oppositions candidates are of calibre.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Too many voters bought into the nostalgia, the hype of SG50 and the post-LKY feel-good factor.

It seems that the people out there do not wish to vote in a plural, diverse Parliament yet.

The opposition has its work cut out for it.

it has nothing to do with all these shit..

PAP cheated in the election using sample vote count..

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
In Malaysia, UMNO was able to retain power because of the Sarawak vote bank.

In Singapore, they have created a massive new citizen vote bank in less than 4 years.
Before GE 2015, no one knew how large this vote bank was.

Now we know ...

More like we never expected our countrymen to be so cheap and stupid. Better increase CPF withdrawal age to 80. Population can go 10million. More PMETs should lose their jobs. More deserve to collect cardboards and wash toilets. Sell tissue paper.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Truth be told, too many people underestimated the impact from the mismanagement of AHPETC.

WP can continue to wayang on the AHPETC issue and suffer further in the next GE or they can buck up, be honest and clean up their act.

WP was given the opportunity to shine during the past many years and Shame on you for dragging down the alternative representations!!

I doubt the AHPETC issue played a major role. Many other factors came into play. One thing I am certain - WP took 10 steps backwards and may not recover from this setback. All the PAP need to do before the next GE is throw more freebies out.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm disappointed but well, it is the choice of Singaporeans. You deserve the government you voted for. My friends and I have fulfilled our social responsibilities but results are disheartening. You cannot save those who does not wished to be save.

100% agree with you. I am sure the ones who kpkb the most are the same people who jumped into the sampan that is hooked to the PAP cruise ship. I surrender.

tryharder

Alfrescian
Loyal
Look at the results carefully. 200,000 to 300,000 will not swing the votes that wildly.

Since the last GE, about 200,000 to 300,000 citizenship were issued to FTs from China, India, Burma, The Philippines, Vietnam... It's a kind of upgrading to these new citizens. They are doing "答谢神恩" (thanks giving) in return for their new leaves of life.

tryharder

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's not the freebies. It's a matter of choice of candidates. If Chee Soon Juan had chosen another GRC where they are a lot of young voters, he might have won. WP behaves like a hooligan. Reasonable people do not like that kind of taunt. Did you see the body language from LTK, CSM and Pritam Singh? CSM is also no longer the candidate I held in high regards. What he said and his body language, it is obvious he has gone down to the same level at LTK.

I doubt the AHPETC issue played a major role. Many other factors came into play. One thing I am certain - WP took 10 steps backwards and may not recover from this setback. All the PAP need to do before the next GE is throw more freebies out.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
She quit her previous job and went full time as a MP. Now she just lost her job. Residents whom she served now rejected her. This is the reality as an opposition MP. It is understandably disappointing for her.

Sad, isn't it? Take the PAP cruise ship like their candidates in Hougang and Aljunied lose also no problem. PAP will find an office for them somewhere in NTUC or GLC. I pity the Sengkang WP guy. One child already got problem and yet he sacrifice time for the good of S'poreans only to be given 3 slaps consecutively.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That is what I do not understand, regardless of the feelings for the funeral, and the glory and joy from the SG 50 celebrations.
It is the present and future that is more important.
I hate to say it, but with such an overwhelming support of the PAP candidates (and their policies), then may be Singaporeans should not complain about immigration and the resulting crowded space, crowded MRT and buses, undesirable body odour and anti-social (based on SG's norms), CPF, scholarships and university places for foreigners, etc.

Agree. For S'poreans to kpkb is like them slapping their own face.