• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The intelligent middle ground

RandomNexus

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am curious about the predictive accuracy of the so-called straw polls in this forum. It is pointing to some runway victories of WP? I am not so sure they got it right hence I write my thoughts here.

First of all, for the electorate, we can safely say there will be a hardcore opposition and pro-government blocs of roughly 30%. Whatever candidates put up on either side, they can roughly secure this percentage number, plus and minus 5% in a 2-way straight fight. Hence we have this middle 40% who effectively decide the winner - they are usually what I would call the 'intelligent" pragmatics as they will and can sway to either side. They have no allegiance but they have one wish - his middle ground backs having an effective government.

An effective government simply two things to them: A strong ruling group and a strong check and balance opposition group who plays an honest and responsible role - not the rowdy bunch you see for eg in Roy Ngern and triple H. WP is smart to avoid them like plagues and only RP is dumb to rope them in. The pragmatics would wish to have their cake and also eat it simply having a strong government and strong check and balance. They can achieve both these goals in 2011 as I elaborate more below.

1. PAP has got the record in managing this country, an impressive one and none of the opposition can even dare say they have one. Nobody in the sane mind can even say that the opposition side has that quality to form a government. Only the hardcore opposition group will disagree with this view.

Hence herein lies the intelligent strategy of the LTK who quietly decided right in the beginning, he will work the ground in what I would call a "grassroots" strategy. It was the same strategy Chiam See Tong used from what I gathered from Potong Pasir residents, but I think he did not recognize it and employ it to the fullness for his party. Long before the other opposition start doing it, LTK recognises that campaigning is a 5-year process and not 5-10 days when you can just turn up to be opposition candidates. LTK would attend funerals and make an effort to interact with the residents all years round, and his ability to use Teochew makes him popular with the masses. His fame spreads and by word of mouth, he secures a strong anchor and to his credit, Hougang becomes a stronghold of WP. His persona is to become a likeable and sincere person speaking sense and strength when required - a strong appeal to this middle group. Even PAP recognises his sincere devotion to the masses here, and me included.

Secondly, he put up a following stance - vote in the opposition as a check and balance, tacitly implying he agrees with the fact that PAP remains the only entity capable to govern. It is the only way to appeal to the middle ground. This strategy is intelligent as the 30% hardcore vote is already in his bag, no matter what. This ploy is similar to the "by-elections" strategy for that says that you can have a strong government yet with a strong check and balance. The middle ground is swayed to LTK's right approach.

I always say CSJ was politically naive as he threw away the goodwill and brand name built by SDP by his past confrontational antics. We can always say PAP did not play fair, but why be a willing actor in it? Singapore is not the draconian totalitarian state that he made it out to be. This time around, CSJ has turned out smart and quietly now backs the strategy LTK used. The middle ground wants a politician with quiet maturity but not with an angry angst. The politician needs to behave with a strong EQ seemingly in charge of the surroundings coz if you cannot do that, how are you going to run this country and speak on our behalf? CSJ basically wasted nearly 20 years of his life before he finally saw the futility of the old strategy hence emerging a new man in this elections.

3. PAP has the advantage to shift boundaries in whatever demarcation and it is a 'privilege' it uses smartly. What it could not do was to decide how the opposition parties would put their candidates. 2011 was the smart decision for LTK to put all his best known candidates, primarily himself, Sylvia and Chen Show Mao to stand for Aljunied catching PAP by surprise. Now 2006 was a year in which PAP won real big and only 2 opposition candidates namely Chiam See Tong and LTK won. Come forward 2011, wouldn't then voters be fearful of losing LTK as well given that Chiam See Tong was weak and down with a stroke? The electorate was confident that a PAP government will be formed with 2006 in mind, hence they could afford to vote for LTK in a GRC. It was a very smart gameplay by LTK using himself as the sole stake and notably, even a popular minister George Yeo was booted out then. No opposition with a total PAP presence is not what this middle group wants at all.

4. For many previous years, PAP machinery has been effectively 'demolishing' the opposition beginning from the sixties up to the 2000-years era. Hence what we have are very weak opposition who find hard it to field candidates of matching good calibre. Even now, for eg, look at the lawyers fielded by WP - they are junior or mid-level lawyers but compared to PAP - they are the Senior Counsel type. PAP has senior civil servants and security management who have spent years in government managing the country's security and economic issues whereas if you look at opposition, they are hobbled by the lack of such quality folks. There are some here and there, but not in sufficient numbers to match that of PAP. WP did a coup by getting Chen Show Mao, and his record for once was able to match that of PAP type of candidates. That Chen Show Mao effect did put the WP opposition in a good light.

5. Lastly there was the local issue of foreign worker dormitory in Aljunied which LTK exploited brilliantly. The government has famously refused a request by the residents in Serangoon Gardens for this foreign worker dormitory not to be built, inflaming the people there. LTK shrewdly pointed out to the electorate how important it is to have an alternative voice to tell the government "Look here, you cannot bulldoze and disregard what we want and I will represent your voice'. Goodness, how would not these people vote for this alternative similarly to the Anson 1980 fiasco of the PAP back then when it denied the voices of the residents not to demolish their flats.

Come forward to 2015, I do not see any of the following. There is no more of "Chen Show Mao" effect. He has not said anything for us to be wowed but he has been too 'quiet' in parliament. There are few local issues to grind at. In actuality, WP does agree with PAP in many ways and the only thing it cannot say it openly. Basically the only thing remains - folks still want LTK and Sylvia to stay around so PAP recognises it and not pushing for big guns to go after them. If it really wants to do so, it will have a hard time come 5 years later - an overwhelming PAP presence makes the middle group wanting to vote the opposition next time round. Let the people have some opposition members of parliament - that is the PAP thinking.

We now look at East Coast GRC and Marine Parade GRC, Fengshan SMC, Punggol East SMC and Sengkang West SMC - their candidates are a better group than the rest of opposition candidates but still "so-so' in quality compared to PAP. They lack appeal like those of LTK and Sylvia and they are more like rookies. Sylvia campaigns for nearly 15 years before she finally won - that was how long it took for her to form a good image to the electorate. WP still uses the same message "need for more stronger check and balance" with more numbers but still having a strong government. But this time round, this message has a contradiction : more opposition members could mean not having a strong government but also perhaps unstabilizing for Singapore.

The above point is particularly poignant for the middle group of voters - are they convinced enough to vote for opposition members yet creating a weak government in the process? It is not the same as 2011 at all when there was no threat of a weak government but rather weak opposition. Hence I do have difficulties accepting WP will win big in 2015. We only only 5-10% of this electorate to see through this contradiction and that is sufficient.

At the most, I will reckon it is status quo like 2011. It might even lose Punggol East coz that was won when PAP was already the government with no threat to being weakened and PAP is smart to settle the columbarium issue in Sengkang, and prevent it to be used as a local issue now. It has made a bad mistake thinking George Yeo was strong enough in Aljunied to withstand over the foreign worker dormitory issue. Hence, this middle group still wants LTK, Sylvia and Chen Show Mao but is not prepared to have a weak government.

Could WP have done differently in the last 5 years to prepare for current elections? And likewise SDP? I think they could but it is not a subject I will want to talk about here.

As for now, let me see how tonight will turn up. If WP wins big as predicted, then we have a different new normal in Singapore politics. Till the opposition starts to have more credible candidates, I will think PAP government is the best bet so far, putting sentiment aside. Actually I would like more intelligent debates instead of the usual blame and loony calls here but there again, it is the sammyboy - haha what would I expect to see anyway? To date, PAP is the only group with the capability to have accurate straw polls and this time, they are not panicking. It is possible they have a handle what is happening. Status quo is how I would see emerging tonight, and well I might be wrong.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1. PAP has got the record in managing this country, an impressive one and none of the opposition can even dare say they have one. Nobody in the sane mind can even say that the opposition side has that quality to form a government. Only the hardcore opposition group will disagree with this view.

GetTFO.gif

xingguy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

GetTFO.gif

Id9WrJN.png

LlkxCsC.png

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
TS - agree with you 95 per cent. Excellent post. I heard the same from some belonging to the 40. Hope we are proven wrong later. Cheers.

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

LSB, I agree with TS.

You are a hardcore PAP hater and you will never see his point and the point of middle voters. I am sure, given a choice, you would SDP or RP and not WP. Let me guess, you voted for TJS in the last PE right?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As for now, let me see how tonight will turn up. If WP wins big as predicted, then we have a different new normal in Singapore politics. Till the opposition starts to have more credible candidates,

So the PAP candidates are wholesome, clean and credible eh?

Amos Yee was right about the media and the education system brainwashing most Sinkies. Few survive the insidious programming... and those that don't make it become folks like the TS.

"Oh but look at me! I'm rational and middle ground." No you are not, but you would like to think that you are, it's an ego thing. Stop pretending. :kma:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
LSB, I agree with TS.

You are a hardcore PAP hater and you will never see his point and the point of middle voters. I am sure, given a choice, you would SDP or RP and not WP. Let me guess, you voted for TJS in the last PE right?

I vote with my conscience, and in the current situation a vote for the PAP is a vote against conscience.

P.S: I voted for Tan Cheng Bock in the PE.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SL not only knocked on doors. Her stint in parliament exposed her to the public and voters knew she is no lemon. It was hard work. If she adopted the talk only strategy, liao, wil only be another GMS. I am sure deep down the MIW salute her efforts.

kukubird59

Alfrescian
Loyal
TS - agree with you 95 per cent. Excellent post. I heard the same from some belonging to the 40. Hope we are proven wrong later. Cheers.
hahaha....you are champion in flip flopping and acting dumb when exposed...
agree 95% and yet you posted how many threads to urge voters to throw out the papee gahmen...
you are really a dishonest person...

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
SL not only knocked on doors. Her stint in parliament exposed her to the public and voters knew she is no lemon. It was hard work. If she adopted the talk only strategy, liao, wil only be another GMS. I am sure deep down the MIW salute her efforts.

Indeed. We need quality Opposition candidates like SL in Parliament.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if singapore had any intelligence or middle ground at all(whats more 40 percent like you said) singapore would not have been ruled by PAP for 50 years,they wouldnt have let every single aspect of this country,from the government linked corporation monopolies,to the judiciary system,to the labour unions and various chinese dialect organizations then wielded political and economic power among the local chinese communities,to the media and the military fall under the corrupt tainted fingers of Lee Con Yew.

if there was anyone in the world that could do a intelligent,impartial analysis of the PAP government it would be Michael Barr,presenting all the facts and letting the readers come to the conclusion without seeming bias in any way.and from that achieving enlightenment from within themselves and for the country.surely none of the idiots on this island.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
LSB, I agree with TS.

and u agree just because u hate some guy or who or what his allegiance is in the forum and not because of what was said in the TS post? not that u are capable of understanding any of it anyway im pretty sure.just another blathering closet PAP ib idiot.

escher

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

KICK OUT ALL THE CORRUPT ROTTEN PAP BASTARDS

The tsunami to cleanse Stinkapore into Singapore is building up
But do not take it easy
Continue your efforts all the way and make it happen

Please be statesmen
Keep your eye on the ball.
The worse enemy of Singaporeans is the corrupt rotten PAPs trying to create their Stinkapore
We are in the battle of our life and your family lifes and for Singapore.
Regardless which party affiliation, WP, SDP, RP, NSP ,SPP or any other party or Independent
Do not run down any oppositions
Keep your eye on the ball
Support ALL OPPOSITIONS
Attack the PAP and only the PAP as they are the rotten bastards
Fight for Singaporeans Singapore

Singaporeans man your battle stations!
Singapore needs you now!

Put your support for Singapore on Facebook
Twitter to your friends
WhatsApp to your friends
Get a tsunami of support for Singapore Singaporeans

OPPOSITIONS ARE THE DIFFERENT FACES OF THE TRUE SINGAPORE
PAP IS THE FACE OF SEPTIC OVERFLOWING TOILET BOWLS AND CORRUPTIONS AND OF STINKAPORE

Cleanse PAP Stinkapore into Singaporeans Singapore.
Vote only opposition
Vote out all the fucking corrupt PAPs

This fight is not just your voting for opposition, any opposition against the PAP
Singaporeans must do much more than just relying on their single vote.
Give them the money to support them in the fight.
Give them your time and energy to support them in the fight
They fight for you Singaporeans
They fight our common enemy
They fight the PAP and cronies, corrupt and rotten to the core, who stole over 180 billions from Singaporeans, and intent on stealing even more from us.

Support Opposition, any Opposition, all Opposition
Regardless if they have primary school, or O levels or A levels or PhD
Regardless if they wear singlets, or tuxedos
Regardless if they wear slippers, or wear sneakers or shoes
Even if a rat crawl out of a sewer and stand as Opposition
Even if a cockroach with 6 legs and 2 long feelers at the head become Opposition
They will be much better for Singaporeans than the fucking corrupt perverted PAPs who only think of laughing all the way to their banks and back from the banks
Under the fucking PAP, Singaporeans are the 4th class citizens in their own land stolen from them by PAP
PAPs are the 2nd class citizens with the Lee family as the first class aristocrazies
Fts are taken in as the 3rd class citizens kicking singaporeans into the 4th class and sinkies good only to go head down down and arseholes up high high to be fucked and tiewed by PAPs laughing all the way to their banks.

bhoven

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am curious about the predictive accuracy of the so-called straw polls in this forum. It is pointing to some runway victories of WP? I am not so sure they got it right hence I write my thoughts here.

First of all, for the electorate, we can safely say there will be a hardcore opposition and pro-government blocs of roughly 30%. Whatever candidates put up on either side, they can roughly secure this percentage number, plus and minus 5% in a 2-way straight fight. Hence we have this middle 40% who effectively decide the winner - they are usually what I would call the 'intelligent" pragmatics as they will and can sway to either side. They have no allegiance but they have one wish - his middle ground backs having an effective government.

An effective government simply two things to them: A strong ruling group and a strong check and balance opposition group who plays an honest and responsible role - not the rowdy bunch you see for eg in Roy Ngern and triple H. WP is smart to avoid them like plagues and only RP is dumb to rope them in. The pragmatics would wish to have their cake and also eat it simply having a strong government and strong check and balance. They can achieve both these goals in 2011 as I elaborate more below.

Hence herein lies the intelligent strategy of the LTK who quietly decided right in the beginning, he will work the ground in what I would call a "grassroots" strategy. It was the same strategy Chiam See Tong used from what I gathered from Potong Pasir residents, but I think he did not recognize it and employ it to the fullness for his party. Long before the other opposition start doing it, LTK recognises that campaigning is a 5-year process and not 5-10 days when you can just turn up to be opposition candidates. LTK would attend funerals and make an effort to interact with the residents all years round, and his ability to use Teochew makes him popular with the masses. His fame spreads and by word of mouth, he secures a strong anchor and to his credit, Hougang becomes a stronghold of WP. His persona is to become a likeable and sincere person speaking sense and strength when required - a strong appeal to this middle group. Even PAP recognises his sincere devotion to the masses here, and me included.

Secondly, he put up a following stance - vote in the opposition as a check and balance, tacitly implying he agrees with the fact that PAP remains the only entity capable to govern. It is the only way to appeal to the middle ground. This strategy is intelligent as the 30% hardcore vote is already in his bag, no matter what. This ploy is similar to the "by-elections" strategy for that says that you can have a strong government yet with a strong check and balance. The middle ground is swayed to LTK's right approach.

I always say CSJ was politically naive as he threw away the goodwill and brand name built by SDP by his past confrontational antics. We can always say PAP did not play fair, but why be a willing actor in it? Singapore is not the draconian totalitarian state that he made it out to be. This time around, CSJ has turned out smart and quietly now backs the strategy LTK used. The middle ground wants a politician with quiet maturity but not with an angry angst. The politician needs to behave with a strong EQ seemingly in charge of the surroundings coz if you cannot do that, how are you going to run this country and speak on our behalf? CSJ basically wasted nearly 20 years of his life before he finally saw the futility of the old strategy hence emerging a new man in this elections.

3. PAP has the advantage to shift boundaries in whatever demarcation and it is a 'privilege' it uses smartly. What it could not do was to decide how the opposition parties would put their candidates. 2011 was the smart decision for LTK to put all his best known candidates, primarily himself, Sylvia and Chen Show Mao to stand for Aljunied catching PAP by surprise. Now 2006 was a year in which PAP won real big and only 2 opposition candidates namely Chiam See Tong and LTK won. Come forward 2011, wouldn't then voters be fearful of losing LTK as well given that Chiam See Tong was weak and down with a stroke? The electorate was confident that a PAP government will be formed with 2006 in mind, hence they could afford to vote for LTK in a GRC. It was a very smart gameplay by LTK using himself as the sole stake and notably, even a popular minister George Yeo was booted out then. No opposition with a total PAP presence is not what this middle group wants at all.

4. For many previous years, PAP machinery has been effectively 'demolishing' the opposition beginning from the sixties up to the 2000-years era. Hence what we have are very weak opposition who find hard it to field candidates of matching good calibre. Even now, for eg, look at the lawyers fielded by WP - they are junior or mid-level lawyers but compared to PAP - they are the Senior Counsel type. PAP has senior civil servants and security management who have spent years in government managing the country's security and economic issues whereas if you look at opposition, they are hobbled by the lack of such quality folks. There are some here and there, but not in sufficient numbers to match that of PAP. WP did a coup by getting Chen Show Mao, and his record for once was able to match that of PAP type of candidates. That Chen Show Mao effect did put the WP opposition in a good light.

5. Lastly there was the local issue of foreign worker dormitory in Aljunied which LTK exploited brilliantly. The government has famously refused a request by the residents in Serangoon Gardens for this foreign worker dormitory not to be built, inflaming the people there. LTK shrewdly pointed out to the electorate how important it is to have an alternative voice to tell the government "Look here, you cannot bulldoze and disregard what we want and I will represent your voice'. Goodness, how would not these people vote for this alternative similarly to the Anson 1980 fiasco of the PAP back then when it denied the voices of the residents not to demolish their flats.

Come forward to 2015, I do not see any of the following. There is no more of "Chen Show Mao" effect. He has not said anything for us to be wowed but he has been too 'quiet' in parliament. There are few local issues to grind at. In actuality, WP does agree with PAP in many ways and the only thing it cannot say it openly. Basically the only thing remains - folks still want LTK and Sylvia to stay around so PAP recognises it and not pushing for big guns to go after them. If it really wants to do so, it will have a hard time come 5 years later - an overwhelming PAP presence makes the middle group wanting to vote the opposition next time round. Let the people have some opposition members of parliament - that is the PAP thinking.

We now look at East Coast GRC and Marine Parade GRC, Fengshan SMC, Punggol East SMC and Sengkang West SMC - their candidates are a better group than the rest of opposition candidates but still "so-so' in quality compared to PAP. They lack appeal like those of LTK and Sylvia and they are more like rookies. Sylvia campaigns for nearly 15 years before she finally won - that was how long it took for her to form a good image to the electorate. WP still uses the same message "need for more stronger check and balance" with more numbers but still having a strong government. But this time round, this message has a contradiction : more opposition members could mean not having a strong government but also perhaps unstabilizing for Singapore.

The above point is particularly poignant for the middle group of voters - are they convinced enough to vote for opposition members yet creating a weak government in the process? It is not the same as 2011 at all when there was no threat of a weak government but rather weak opposition. Hence I do have difficulties accepting WP will win big in 2015. We only only 5-10% of this electorate to see through this contradiction and that is sufficient.

At the most, I will reckon it is status quo like 2011. It might even lose Punggol East coz that was won when PAP was already the government with no threat to being weakened and PAP is smart to settle the columbarium issue in Sengkang, and prevent it to be used as a local issue now. It has made a bad mistake thinking George Yeo was strong enough in Aljunied to withstand over the foreign worker dormitory issue. Hence, this middle group still wants LTK, Sylvia and Chen Show Mao but is not prepared to have a weak government.

Could WP have done differently in the last 5 years to prepare for current elections? And likewise SDP? I think they could but it is not a subject I will want to talk about here.

As for now, let me see how tonight will turn up. If WP wins big as predicted, then we have a different new normal in Singapore politics. Till the opposition starts to have more credible candidates, I will think PAP government is the best bet so far, putting sentiment aside. Actually I would like more intelligent debates instead of the usual blame and loony calls here but there again, it is the sammyboy - haha what would I expect to see anyway? To date, PAP is the only group with the capability to have accurate straw polls and this time, they are not panicking. It is possible they have a handle what is happening. Status quo is how I would see emerging tonight, and well I might be wrong.

Don't disagree with your categorisation of the voters but situation is a little different from 2011:

1) Quality of candidates - U overrate the PAP slate. The uniformed types have not particularly distinguished themselves in the past as politicians. And a couple of new ones are middling. Opposition (WP in particular ) have managed this time- the CSM effect- to rope in candidates of calibre not just academically qualified but with genuine private sector experience.
2) PAP made a strategic error in gunning for so called irregularities in mismanagement at AHPTEC when evidence is that there are lapses, some even more serious, in their own backyard and govt depts and agencies.
The persistent flogging of this dead horse has been counterproductive and gave claim to their own confession that they have to spend time to fix the opposition
3) Reach of biased MSM - there has been greater penetration of social media with alternative and more balanced reporting. Even if the older folks are not IT savvy, their children are. And would have spread the views espoused
4) The token efforts by the PAP govt to address some of the grievances which saw them lose support in 2011
have been received as insufficient. They remain hot issues.

I think the PAP will lose further ground and expect opposition to get at least 2 GRCs and 4 SMCs. MP and HBT GRCs would be close fights.

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Your article is better than Catherine Lim 'known known, known unknown & unknown unknown" article. You rightly point out that the 40% intelligent middle ground is the decider for the outcome of this GE. As we all know, if it is a by-election, the Opps will win because the middle ground would then know that the PAP government is still in charge.