• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Keep you faith at home

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Religion and faith is a personal thing. One can believe in whatever one wishes, and stay to the tenets in that faith, but when it comes to work, and behaviour in public, then that faith should be kept at home, and should not be imposed onto others in the surrounding. Case here shows a muslim who refuses to serve alcohol to customer. This is clearly a denial of the work she is assigned, and paid for. She is lucky she wasn't fired, and the customer has the right to sue her employers for being denied that service. Besides, the person concerned is not being asked to drink or consume alcohol, serving it is part of her job, which because of her strong adherence to her faith, has violated her job obligations.

Cheers!

http://www.ibtimes.com/muslim-fligh...ended-expressjet-after-refusing-serve-2084972

Muslim Flight Attendant Says She Was Suspended By ExpressJet After Refusing To Serve Alcohol

By Luke Villapaz @lukeydukey [email protected] on September 06 2015 9:10 PM EDT

A Muslim flight attendant says she was suspended by airline ExpressJet for refusing to serve alcohol, a practice she says is against her religious beliefs. Charee Stanley filed a discrimination complaint in Detroit with the Equal Employment Opportunity commission, in an effort to get reinstated to her job, CNN reported.
Stanley, 40, had worked for ExpressJet for three years prior to her suspension. About two years ago, she converted to Islam and was able to work out an arrangement with co-workers as a workaround to accommodate alcoholic beverage orders from passengers, according to WWJ-AM. However, Stanley was later suspended after another attendant filed a complaint on Aug. 2, which also referencing her headscarf and books with foreign writings, according to Lena Masri, an attorney for the Council of American Islamic Relations Michigan.
"What this case comes down to is no one should have to choose between their career and religion and it's incumbent upon employers to provide a safe environment where employees can feel they can practice their religion freely," Masri told CNN.
Following the complaint, ExpressJet sent a letter to Stanley on Aug. 25, which revoked her religious accommodation and placed her on administrative leave for 12 months. Following the period, her position could be terminated, according to the Council of American-Islamic Relations.
"I don't think that I should have to choose between practicing my religion properly or earning a living," Stanley told CBS News. "I shouldn't have to choose between one or the other because they're both important."
ExpressJet, which is based in College Park, Georgia, issued the following statement to CNN:
"At ExpressJet, we embrace and respect the values of all of our team members. We are an equal opportunity employer with a long history of diversity in our workforce. As Ms. Stanley is an employee, we are not able to comment on her personnel matters."

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
If the headdress does not impair/obstruct easy identification, it shouldn't be a problem - it is like a scarf. However, the ninja-type headgear where the face (and identity) is concealed should be banned in public.

Cheers!

So are you saying Muslims should not wear tudung in public?

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
If the community is able to separate the affairs of the state from that of the religion, there isn't a problem in this. Singapore shows this can be done. Upto the 70s, even 80s, mosques blared out the Koran over loudspeakers that could be heard for miles around. This practice was stopped, and neighbourhoods more peaceful now. Muslims still pray at home, or at their offices.buildings where a room has been set aside for their prayers,and it does not intrude into other secular activities.

Having said this, it is up to the muslim community to broadcast their prayers over the internet at selected times so devotees can plug earphones into the iPhones, samsungs and listen to their prayers even while riding the train/bus, or sitting at their desks at work. It may distract them from full concentration on their work, but it will not bother those around at least.

Cheers!

ISlamic scripture ensures Islam is never kept at home. Research on Islam if you want to make educated posts on Islam and Muslims.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8j1hEz61Ug

Last edited:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Religion is never a personal thing, of not those idiots Christian will not go around spreading stupidlity

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Religion and faith is a personal thing. One can believe in whatever one wishes, and stay to the tenets in that faith, but when it comes to work, and behaviour in public, then that faith should be kept at home, and should not be imposed onto others in the surrounding. Case here shows a muslim who refuses to serve alcohol to customer. This is clearly a denial of the work she is assigned, and paid for. She is lucky she wasn't fired, and the customer has the right to sue her employers for being denied that service. Besides, the person concerned is not being asked to drink or consume alcohol, serving it is part of her job, which because of her strong adherence to her faith, has violated her job obligations.

Cheers!

Are you saying that whatever is personal should also be privatised? Many critics of religion are demanding that faith, which is no doubt personal, should also be privatised and kept out of the public square or marketplace of ideas. They are lobbying for the silencing of religious voice, except the religious voice of secular humanism aka atheism. This is hypocritical and double standards, special pleading.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some people wish to share their "joys" with others, some people value their privacy more. Some people do not want to hear "nonsense" much less be preached onto. Everybody's got their own idea and opinion about religion, so, out of respect for fellow human beings, it is more thoughtful to keep one's thoughts to oneself. To "share" beliefs, there are places (of worship) where that behavior is the accepted norm. But not all public places are ideal for that.

Cheers!

Are you saying that whatever is personal should also be privatised? Many critics of religion are demanding that faith, which is no doubt personal, should also be privatised and kept out of the public square or marketplace of ideas. They are lobbying for the silencing of religious voice, except the religious voice of secular humanism aka atheism. This is hypocritical and double standards, special pleading.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some people wish to share their "joys" with others, some people value their privacy more. Some people do not want to hear "nonsense" much less be preached onto. Everybody's got their own idea and opinion about religion, so, out of respect for fellow human beings, it is more thoughtful to keep one's thoughts to oneself. To "share" beliefs, there are places (of worship) where that behavior is the accepted norm. But not all public places are ideal for that.

Cheers!

If respect is what is demanded, then respect should also be given to those who wish to share their faith publicly with others. Why should respect by default be the privatisation of one's faith? Besides our own Constitution Article 15(1) states: "Every person has the right to profess and practise his religion and to propagate it." It can thus be said that the default position is that one can freely share rather than to keep faith private and locked away at home. But of course my right to share does not prevail over your right not to be shared to. So all you need to do is to politely decline.:wink:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not disturbed by those who try to preach to me, as a matter of fact, I often get involved in the discussions, depending on the situation of course, like if I'm not in the midst of doing something else, I normally have time for such "entertainment." However, the preachers, or evangelists should keep in mind that some people are irritated by being approached on religious affairs. They should keep aware of who they approach.

Cheers!

If respect is what is demanded, then respect should also be given to those who wish to share their faith publicly with others. Why should respect by default be the privatisation of one's faith? Besides our own Constitution Article 15(1) states: "Every person has the right to profess and practise his religion and to propagate it." It can thus be said that the default position is that one can freely share rather than to keep faith private and locked away at home. But of course my right to share does not prevail over your right not to be shared to. So all you need to do is to politely decline.:wink:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not disturbed by those who try to preach to me, as a matter of fact, I often get involved in the discussions, depending on the situation of course, like if I'm not in the midst of doing something else, I normally have time for such "entertainment." However, the preachers, or evangelists should keep in mind that some people are irritated by being approached on religious affairs. They should keep aware of who they approach.

Cheers!

To be fair, evangelists are just ordinary humans, which means they cannot read minds. So they just approach the man on the street in good faith. No matter how irritating you find the person approaching you is, just smile and decline lor. That’s simply being gracious.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actally, I am quite accommodating and will even enter rather lengthy discussions with Christians on biblical stories, but sometimes, they get carried away and want to form a prayer group. That's when I back off. Hope that is not being ungracious!

Cheers!

To be fair, evangelists are just ordinary humans, which means they cannot read minds. So they just approach the man on the street in good faith. No matter how irritating you find the person approaching you is, just smile and decline lor. That’s simply being gracious.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actally, I am quite accommodating and will even enter rather lengthy discussions with Christians on biblical stories, but sometimes, they get carried away and want to form a prayer group. That's when I back off. Hope that is not being ungracious!

Cheers!

Back off gracefully is thumbs up!