• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

GE2015: Humanising Chee Soon Juan

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
GE2015: Humanising Dr Chee Soon Juan

By alvinology | Alvinology.com – 3 hours ago

This election, the bulk of the media reports on local mainstream media seems to be dominated by reports on the Aljunied-Hougang-Punggol East Town Council (AHPETC) saga. I don’t know about you, but frankly, I am sick of it. While it is an important issue, it is not the SOLE issue affecting Singapore and Singaporeans, and definitely NOT the most pressing issue.

What about topics like rising costs of living, population and immigration policies as well as healthcare?

The AHPETC saga can continue after GE2015 for the People’s Action Party (PAP), the Workers Party (WP) and the government to sort things out. It does not need to dominate the precious campaigning period which is just ten days.

This brings me to the rally speech last night by the secretary-general of the Singapore Democratic Party (SDP), Dr Chee Soon Juan.
Chee has come a long way.

In his first rally speech after nearly 15 years, Chee chastised the PAP government policies for Singaporeans’ unhappy and high-stress lives today, and addressed questions that had been raised about his past and character.

He wants us to focus on the policies and stop the “gutter politics”.

Chee been through a lot. He had been bankrupted through defamation suits by PAP politicians and been called a psychopath, a liar and a cheat, among many other names thrown at him for over a decade.

Both Chee and his wife are PhD holders, and yet they live in a crammed 3-room HDB flat with three kids, leading a simple life. Check out this documentary about the human side of Chee and his family life:

[video=youtube;6J0b4nDrQL0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J0b4nDrQL0[/video]

Without true grit and determination, many others would have given up and migrated to greener pasture or simply retire from politics. Yet Chee soldiered on. For that, he earned my respect, just like the late JB Jeyaratnam.

38a8567f3fcf23cae5af341122fa77cf

It will be great to see him start on a fresh slate this election. I am not saying you should agree with Chee and blindly vote for the SDP this election, but at least give the man a chance to put his ideas across. After all, he is just human like you and I; not a crazy monster he is often perceived to be.

The PAP is not letting up though. Lawrence Wong and Sim Ann fired the first salvo during a televised debate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO7U8y6IAF4

During his speech last night, Dr Chee said: “As sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, the PAP will say our ideas are dangerous and reckless, and that they will ruin the country and drive it to bankruptcy. If they cannot convince you, they will throw out a standard line – they will say Chee Soon Juan is untrustworthy, Chee Soon Juan is a liar, a gangster, a psychopath.”

“Their idea is to attack me and to see if I respond, and whether I defend myself. If I do, they will attack even more, and by the time we are done with nine days of campaigning, the whole elections would be over, and they would have achieved the objective of stopping me and my colleagues from talking about our issues. And more importantly, to distract you from the real issues.”

I seriously hope this election would not degenerate into name-callings and mudslingings. Debate on the policies and ideas please. I think Singaporean voters have moved beyond that kind of politics.

If you missed Chee’s speech last night, you have to watch it online:

[video=youtube;eWKEaX1uQwU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWKEaX1uQwU[/video]

The part where he talked about wanting to buy a box of Haagen Dazs or Ben & Jerry’s ice cream for his kids, but instead, went for Wall’s after looking at the prices, even then, his wife asked him to buy it only when the ice cream is on offer… that totally tugged my heartstring:

d42606075c6059ac98694f2831068fd6

Ending off this post with a music video from Chee’s two daughters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq0SksN0Gns

GE2015 will be an interesting comeback year for Dr Chee Soon Juan and the SDP. This is why the battle for Holland-Bukit Timah GRC is on my top ten battles to watch list for GE2015.

Last edited:

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
60% + New Citizens: PAP says Chee is a baddy leh! *hee*hee*

35%: FAP says shit tastes as good as coolie rice. Do you believe it?

60% + New Citizens: Of course lah! Abathen? *hee*hee*

35%: *shake head*

xpo2015

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dun let the public see this video!

Otherwise SDP may have a landslide victory over PAP!

Cufflinks

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
He has always been a perfectly normal human being who spoke up for the rights of Singaporeans.

It's only those who have been successfully brainwashed by the pap who have been negatively influenced.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He has always been a perfectly normal human being who spoke up for the rights of Singaporeans.

It's only those who have been successfully brainwashed by the pap who have been negatively influenced.

Yes some take issue with his heckling of Lao Goh and hunger strike.
I see nothing wrong with those incidents at all.
It's docile sinkies and useless pappies who can't handle confrontation politics. Not Dr Chee's fault
And the ousting of CST....it's already been revealed that the main instigators were the cadres....CSJ was made scapegoat.
Anyways if his mellowed style suit most sinkies now I've no issues because the fire is still burning within this lion! The true Singapore patriot.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You would need Workers' Party (center left) and SDP/SFP (left-ish) to balance PAP in parliament.

Moreover SDP is strong in ideology and appeals to the young. Young sinkies MUST be politically aware so that they think more holistically and take on the world.

Soldier on, Dr Chee!

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes some take issue with his heckling of Lao Goh and hunger strike.
I see nothing wrong with those incidents at all.
It's docile sinkies and useless pappies who can't handle confrontation politics. Not Dr Chee's fault
And the ousting of CST....it's already been revealed that the main instigators were the cadres....CSJ was made scapegoat.
Anyways if his mellowed style suit most sinkies now I've no issues because the fire is still burning within this lion! The true Singapore patriot.

Agree. Sinkies loathe confrontation. They associate confrontation with lack of mental stability or worse, lack of trustworthiness.

Which is utter crap. Politics is about a competition of ideas, confrontation between different ideologies and systems of governance. Westerners understand this – take a look at the British parliament and you'll the robust 'confrontational' debates that are a natural part of politics.

The only fault you can level at Chee is that he over-estimated Sinkies' maturity and thought they were ready for the Western brand of fiery activism and confrontational politics. He has learned from those mis-steps and 'mellowed' but his convictions remain as strong as before. He's also learned that in Singapore, unlike elsewhere, civil activism and electoral politics do not mix.

But the Chee you see in the video is the real Chee (to those who know him). He's always been the same man; it's only the MSM which has demonised him and made him out be a raving crackpot.

sirus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[video=youtube;gBq-kYKT1YA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBq-kYKT1YA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

jw5

Loyal
Absolutely agree and I am with you on this. :wink:

Agree. Sinkies loathe confrontation. They associate confrontation with lack of mental stability or worse, lack of trustworthiness.

Which is utter crap. Politics is about a competition of ideas, confrontation between different ideologies and systems of governance. Westerners understand this – take a look at the British parliament and you'll the robust 'confrontational' debates that are a natural part of politics.

The only fault you can level at Chee is that he over-estimated Sinkies' maturity and thought they were ready for the Western brand of fiery activism and confrontational politics. He has learned from those mis-steps and 'mellowed' but his convictions remain as strong as before. He's also learned that in Singapore, unlike elsewhere, civil activism and electoral politics do not mix.

But the Chee you see in the video is the real Chee (to those who know him). He's always been the same man; it's only the MSM which has demonised him and made him out be a raving crackpot.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"The part where he talked about wanting to buy a box of Haagen Dazs or Ben & Jerry’s ice cream for his kids, but instead, went for Wall’s after looking at the prices, even then, his wife asked him to buy it only when the ice cream is on offer… that totally tugged my heartstring:"

I am sure that many of us have been through that situation.
For those who did not have to consider whether or not to buy it on offer or on special, or does not have to think about it, when they have progressed financially,
with respect, CSJ should and must be elected to be an MP, to speak for the ordinary Singaporeans.
Consider it, and try to persuade your friends and relatives to vote for CSJ.