• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Malaysia to turn off tap if we dun pay tax

dancingshoes

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore won’t pay tax on its Johor waterworks: Shanmugam

Singapore will not pay the raised land assessment tax on its Johor waterworks as a matter of principle, said Minister for Foreign Affairs and Law K. Shanmugam yesterday.

The authorities of Kota Tinggi district had sought late last year to double the tax on the Johor River Waterworks, which is owned by national water agency PUB.

The revised rate was more than double that of the next highest rate in the entire Kota Tinggi district, and this new rate was applied to a tax category created solely for the PUB.

At a dialogue yesterday, Mr Shanmugam explained why he chose to lay out Singapore's stance on the issue in Parliament last week, a decision he had thought hard about.

"The water agreement doesn't allow for these sorts of treatments. If I keep quiet about doubling it, tomorrow they might quadruple it," he told media professionals at the event organised by the Singapore Press Club.

In Parliament, he had said PUB is not obliged to pay the tax under the 1962 Water Agreement, which governs the PUB's operations in Johor.The agreement gives Singapore the right to draw water from Johor River up to 250 million gallons daily, or 1.14 million cubic m a day, with Johor entitled to a daily supply of treated water in return.

Underscoring the gravity of the issue, Mr Shanmugam said: "They've issued us further notice saying we are late in payment. If one is bloody-minded about it, I suppose they can seek to levy execution on our waterworks, and then things will get really interesting."

He said: "In a normal legal case, if you don't pay tax, somebody goes and attaches and tries to take over the property. We'll have to see whether they want to treat this as a normal case of non-payment and then we'll have to say what our response will be."

The agreement is valid till 2061 and is guaranteed by the governments of Singapore and Malaysia in the 1965 Separation Agreement.

On Sunday, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong highlighted how vulnerable newly independent Singapore had been, with nearly all its water coming from Johor back then.

Mr Lee said at the National Day Rally: "Every now and again, when an issue arose with Malaysia, some crazy politicians would threaten to turn off the tap, to get us in line."

In fact, said Mr Shanmugam, Malaysian opposition Parti Keadilan Rakyat's deputy chairman in Johor, Mr Jimmy Puah, had criticised the water agreement just last week.

Mr Puah had said Singapore continues to draw 250 million gallons of raw water a day from Johor despite water rationing in the state, Mr Shanmugam said.

"The implication of his statement is obvious... It's powerful rhetoric. They don't care whether we suffer," he added.

The PUB said in a statement last week that it has been supplying an extra five to six million gallons of potable water a day to Johor during its dry spell, since Aug 14.

But should Mr Puah's rhetoric and criticism of the Malaysian government take hold, Mr Shanmugam said, "then you will expect the Barisan Nasional government to have to react to it". "How will they react? We don't know."

He reiterated Singapore's position that both countries have to comply with the treaty, but added: "Treaties are only useful to the extent that you can make them work."

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/singapore-wont-pay-tax-on-its-johor-waterworks-shanmugam

kopiOuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
oh what a fish issue
coming always around our erection

haha

fishy issue

11889483_10153368536577839_8312184735551881702_n.jpg

dancingshoes

Alfrescian
Loyal
this is one reason i never want to visit malaysia even it's dirt cheap. every weekend, i see thousands of sinkies go over to spend money but this is what we get in return. without sinkies, you think JB can have a booming economy.

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
more like a secret treaty to divert attention in time of nid for both garbarment...politician...we dun nid em.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this is one reason i never want to visit malaysia even it's dirt cheap. every weekend, i see thousands of sinkies go over to spend money but this is what we get in return. without sinkies, you think JB can have a booming economy.

First ask yourself why our relationships with our neighbors are so fucked up?
Lky and pap must take full responsibility

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now the Malaysians are getting desperate. The monopoly currency they hold is depreciating by the minute.

No wonder they say greed makes one stupid!

cunnosieur

Alfrescian
Loyal
We will just fire the Mudlaysians FTrash working in Singapore in return....

Let 1 MDB (Mudland Dat Boleh) hire them.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dunno why Singapore refuse to pay raised land assessment tax. This is imposed by the state on all landowners. Its rate of increase should be uniform. You can only protest if rate is different from others. Otherwise the property can be seized by the state. Its normal practice.

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I dunno why Singapore refuse to pay raised land assessment tax. This is imposed by the state on all landowners. Its rate of increase should be uniform. You can only protest if rate is different from others. Otherwise the property can be seized by the state. Its normal practice.

quite true too...our fucking cpf min sum raise ever fucking yrs n pappies xpect tax unchange over 100 yrs...:biggrin: fuel decrease our ele bill increase...cb pappies _|_