• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Josephine Teo says 25-yr-old female SIM grad becomes a bus driver due to passion!

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
My kids tell me that a growing number of young sinkies are getting into business. They are selling cupcakes and pastries via blogshops and social media. Some also are becoming hawkers. So PAP did the right thing and have persuaded a growing number of younger sinkies that they can be successful without a degree. Go and open blogshops or be hawkers.

But my two children are on the path to getting their scholarships. I didn't send them to elite schools for nothing.

sellling backside is also doing biz.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Market so bad? impossible. why in taiwan and hong kong, they become their own boss. wait m&d? just hope that she do not knock down anybody.

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just the very kind of bullshit sprouting out of her anus.

Passion?

Tax payers subsidised her school fees for expensive courses so that she can become a bus driver?

Wahlan this type of minister! Ah Jo really said this. Only if the minah is already very rich and still chooses to drive a bus, then perhaps her choice of occupation is due to her passion. Other than that, Ah Jo must be talking through her arsehole like what my army Encik used to say in the army!:biggrin:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wahlan this type of minister! Ah Jo really said this. Only if the minah is already very rich and still chooses to drive a bus, then perhaps her choice of occupation is due to her passion. Other than that, Ah Jo must be talking through her arsehole like what my army Encik used to say in the army!:biggrin:

I sure didn't vote for this shit but our fellow 60.1% sinkies did.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
This is how an intelligent and educated woman ought to sound like. Not like those pap bitches (except Lily Neo) talking cock.

Video interview
[video]https://sg.news.yahoo.com/video/ge2015-interview-nadine-yap-015238285.html?format=embed&player_autoplay=false[/video]

In this series, Yahoo Singapore speaks to potential candidates for the upcoming General Election. Members of Singapore's various political parties have been invited to participate. Featured here: Nadine Yap of the Democratic Progressive Party, who was interviewed Friday, 21 August.

Nadine Yap, 46, can still remember the words of an inspirational literature teacher at Raffles Junior College who taught her the importance of making up her own mind. He would constantly admonish his students, “Never believe a word I say”.

In fact, the theme of empowerment and “helping people who haven’t necessarily been given the tools and the sense of a right to ask,” is something that the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) member returns to several times.

Yap recounts how she has been helping a single mother to navigate the system, in various aspects such as mental healthcare, financial aid and the courts. The mother had been surprised by the options open to her.

“That empowerment that they can do things for themselves, that they can ask questions, they can stand up, they don’t just have to take things that they’re told are true, is something…that can help many people solve problems from the ground up,” says the mother of two.

Given her interest in “breaking moulds”, Yap clearly believes in self-empowerment too. She says, “I retiled my own bathroom a couple of years ago, and people are like, ‘Hah, you retiled your own bathroom?’ It’s not that difficult, you know.”

Problem solver
Stepping into the Yahoo Singapore office is something of a homecoming for Yap, a potential candidate for Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC. The Eurasian of German and Chinese descent worked at Yahoo from 2007–11 as a product marketing manager, and many former colleagues come up to chat and wish her good luck for the upcoming election.

“Nadine is a problem solver. She was always the one to connect the dots, ” recalls one who worked closely with Yap. “And she’s very down-to-earth, but she’s also quite complex.”

The Harvard-educated Yap has had extensive experience in the IT industry, having worked for Amazon as a technical product manager. She is currently vice-president and co-investor of Temasys, a local Internet start-up.

Yap is the daughter of an accountant father and tour guide mother who met in London. The older of two children represented Singapore in gymnastics as a teenager, while studying at Methodist Girls School, and has also spent time in Germany.

And she certainly aroused curiosity in Bishan-Toa Payoh during her maiden walkabout last Sunday (17 Aug), where people were “really welcoming”. She adds with a laugh, “They wanted to see who this ang moh was. And they were surprised that I was able to speak Mandarin at them, with a bit of Hokkien. I really look forward to longer conversations with them.”

Yap is clearly comfortable in her own skin – she comes to the interview casually dressed and with no make-up, and projects sincerity and confidence.

Collaborative rather than top-down
Yap’s political awakening began during a stint as director of operations at the Law Society’s Pro Bono Services Office, where she met former RJC schoolmate and DPP chief Benjamin Pwee. Though she was not thinking of "frontline politics" yet, she eventually got involved in the party’s policy discussions, drawn to Pwee’s philosophy of “collaborative governance” as a way of making a difference.

When asked, Yap freely admits that she did consider joining the civil service or even the People’s Action Party (PAP). Besides volunteering at several Voluntary Welfare Organisations (VWO) on an individual basis, she even serves on the Mayfair Park neighbourhood committee, whose members include Senior Parliamentary Secretary Sim Ann.

But Yap chose not to take the “safe route”, she says, because “fewer people are willing to take the stand for opposition. Since I am able and willing, I figured I’d put my hand up.”

One issue that strikes a personal chord for Yap is what she calls the “very top down” and overly exam-oriented school system, which she feels has contributed to the widening socio-economic gap in Singapore.

“I think everybody should learn how to articulate…how to think, speak their own opinions and argue constructively. That’s not necessarily something that’s taught throughout the school system at a very young age,” notes Yap, who says the difference between local and international schools here is “stark”.

Her eldest daughter, who has dyslexia, switched to an international school recently. And when Yap asked what the biggest difference between her old and new schools was, she replied, “They don’t scold.”

Yap adds that the children in her daughter’s school are empowered from an early age – teacher and students sit down at the start of the school year to come up with the class rules. There are even rules for the teacher, which he or she must abide by.

Respecting people's paths
Noting a certain snobbery in society towards individuals who are less educated, Yap says students should be taught respect for people who choose “different paths”, or who are not as academically inclined. She says, “Those different paths can lead to an enriched and successful life. It is no less than anyone else’s life.”

Yap begins relating an anecdote about her German godmother’s son, who holds a phD in chemistry, and his painter buddy who lives across the road from him. She notes that for a long time, the pair lived in similar houses and drove similar cars, despite the disparity in their educational levels.

She points out, “How many people here who aren’t bound by specific family ties can say that they’re pals or buddies, [and] live in the same kind of environment, as the guy who painted their house?”

Global experience
Asked what she brings to the table as a candidate, Yap notes she and several of her fellow party members have lived, studied and worked abroad for many years.

She notes, “We’ve worked in different industries, very often smaller industries and start-up companies where we’ve had to scrape for money and in some ways live pay cheque to pay cheque and be innovative.

And also, not just do this…everything from cleaning the toilet to solving an algorithm, but also really being experimental, seeing what works, not thinking ‘I know the answers’.

So I think what we bring to the table is different perspectives”.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/ge2015--nadine-yap-of-the-democratic-progressive-party-061828181.html?linkId=16525675