• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore’s central bank says sorry after misspelling name of first president

Pulse

Alfrescian
Loyal

Singapore’s central bank says sorry after misspelling name of city-state's first president

The name of the late president Yusof Ishak was spelt “Yusok Ishak” on packaging of a special currency issue marking the country’s 50th year of independence

PUBLISHED : Friday, 21 August, 2015, 1:48pm
UPDATED : Saturday, 22 August, 2015, 4:20am

Agence France-Presse in Singapore

singnote.jpg

A misspelling of Singapore's first president "Yusok Ishak" (third para) on a folder kit of the S$50 commemorative note. Photo: AFP

Singapore’s central bank has apologised for misspelling the name of the city-state’s first president on the packaging of a special currency issue marking the country’s 50th year of independence.

The name of the late president Yusof Ishak was spelt “Yusok Ishak” on the cover folder containing the S$50 and S$10 commemorative notes, launched on Thursday, much to the embarrassment of the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS).

“This should never have happened, is not acceptable, and I take full responsibility,” MAS managing director Ravi Menon said.

“I apologise on behalf of my colleagues who worked hard to prepare the notes and folders, but are deeply disappointed that we made this most unfortunate mistake. We will put this right.”

note.jpg

A S$50 commemorative note is displayed in Singapore. Photo: AFP

Apart from the cover folder, the error also appeared in an enclosed booklet, although there were no mistakes on the dollar notes celebrating the anniversary.

Apart from Yusof’s portrait, the special S$50 note also contains the image of the country’s first prime minister Lee Kuan Yew, who died in March.

The MAS said it was printing stickers to fix the error and will make them available for those who have already bought the package to paste over the misspelled name.

Long queues of buyers formed outside banks when the collectible currency went on sale on Thursday.

Singapore, one of the world’s wealthiest societies, marked its 50th independence day this month with fireworks, a massive military parade and a celebration of its rapid economic development.

The island became a republic on August 9, 1965, when it was ejected from the Malaysian federation following a stormy two-year union.

songsongjurong

Alfrescian
Loyal
excellence in PAP governance all but fallacy,one of the many serious lapses but no heads roll, goes to show their own kind committing such inexcusable mistake are let off with a mere condescending half hearted insincere apology!!

Leckmichamarsch

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry NO cure hor.
MD must resign & the officers whose job it was to proof read must be identified & sacked. We cannot condone the insult done to Prez Y Ishak by an ah neh from India!!!!!!!!!!

Leckmichamarsch

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry NO cure hor.
MD must resign & the officers whose job it was to proof read must be identified & sacked. We cannot condone the insult done to Prez Y Ishak by an ah neh from India!!!!!!!!!!

PS: what wud have happened if Lee Kuan Yew were mis spelt as Li Kwan You??????????????

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I say already. Putting lky in the currency note is a curse... The note just started and got such problem.. I cannot imagine what will happened next.. Luckily I stay away from sinkies.