• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Melvin Yong parachuted into Tanjong Pagar GRC

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=2]Melvin Yong, Joan Pereira join PAP’s Tanjong Pagar GRC team[/h]By Justin Ong
POSTED: 19 Aug 2015 09:28
URL: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/melvin-yong-joan-pereira/2052302.html

Former social worker Joan Pereira and Assistant Police Commissioner Melvin Yong are the new faces in the People’s Action Party’s Tanjong Pagar slate for the coming General Election.SINGAPORE: The People’s Action Party (PAP) on Wednesday (Aug 19) officially introduced its new candidates for Tanjong Pagar Group Representation Constituency (GRC) for the coming General Election.
Joining Mr Chan Chun Sing, Ms Indranee Rajah and Dr Chia Shi-Lu in the five-member GRC are Ms Joan Pereira and Mr Melvin Yong, who were both unveiled at a coffeeshop in Tanjong Pagar Plaza.
newthread.php

Their appointments follow the departures of the late Mr Lee Kuan Yew and Dr Lily Neo, whose Kreta Ayer-Kim Seng ward has been shifted to the new Jalan Besar GRC.
Former Prime Minister Mr Lee, who passed away on Mar 23 this year, served as an MP with Tanjong Pagar GRC for 60 years - when it was a Single Member Constituency (SMC) from 1955 to 1991, and a GRC thereafter.
"Tanjong Pagar is a very special place to the whole of Singapore. Its story is the story of Singpore - how it transformed from a difficult environment to what it is today - a mirror of how Singapore went from Third to First World," said Mr Chan Chun Sing.
"As Mr Lee reminded us, we are not six individuals (at Tanjong Pagar and Radin Mas) - we are a team with strengths and weaknesses but we will reinforce each other. We are a team together with the residents and we will endeavour to do our best and make it an even better place for residents to come."
He added: "The kind of leaders we hope for for Singapore are people who care deeply about the welfare and wellbeing of Singaporeans and the country. We want committed leaders to answer the calling to serve - not for fame and glory but a higher calling. People who are competent and know what they're doing in depth."
The PAP has earned a walkover win at Tanjong Pagar at every election since it became a GRC in 1991. This year, however, they are likely to face Opposition for the first time in the form of the Singaporeans First party led by Tan Jee Say. The former presidential candidate has identified a slate of candidates but will not yet name them.
The five PAP candidates for Tanjong Pagar GRC will be:
Mr Chan Chun Sing, 45, Minister in the Prime Minister’s Office

newthread.php

Mr Chan is also the Secretary-General for the National Trade Union Congress and served as Minister for Social and Family Development from 2013 to 2015. The former Chief of Army has been a Member of Parliament with Tanjong Pagar GRC since 2011.
"Tanjong Pagar is a very special constituency and an area the PAP has served for 60 years. This is where the whole Singapore story started. We want to keep it special - it is the embodiment of the Singapore spirit to be able to turn a tough environment into one of the most endearing homes we have," said Mr Chan.
On the possibility of facing an Opposition team in the constituency for the first time since 1991, Mr Chan said: "Our perspective has been simple consistent. Our first priority is to take care of residents. If we do our job conscientiously, the residents will take care of the result for us. We focus our energy on that first and foremost. That is what will always guide us."
Ms Indranee Rajah, 52, Senior Minister of State, Law and Education ministries
newthread.php

Ms Indranee served as Deputy Speaker of Parliament from 2006 to 2011 and has been an MP with Tanjong Pagar GRC since 2001.
"Tanjong Pagar is a place with tremendous spirit. We are all very conscious of the legacy we been handed - one not rooted in the past but always about thinking how to improve lives for people," said Ms Indranee.
"We have one of the oldest demographics in Singapore. These are the ones who built the country and its now our turn to look after them. Lots of young families, too - a new generation. We have to firmly keep an eye on the future and that's what the coming GE is about: The future of Singapore."
She added: "There are parallels between Singapore today and back when we started in 1965; there were racial religious tensions with society in danger of being torn apart. This has been addressed over the years through lots of hard work. And today, while not necessarily on the same old racial and religious lines, they now take different forms. Some espouse differnet causes and the Internet makes it easier for them to get their views out.

"In any society there will always be fault lines and we have to work hard to overcome them."
Dr Chia Shi-Lu, 43, consultant surgeon, Singapore General Hospital
newthread.php

Dr Chia is a member of the GPCs for Finance and Trade and Industry as well as Health. He has been an MP with Tanjong Pagar GRC since 2011. He is a consultant orthopaedic surgeon at the Singapore General Hospital.
"Since I first joined as MP to represent Queenstown, I've worked closely with residents to bring in developments to the first satellite town of Singapore, the oldest in Singapore. I hope residents see the hard work and keep their faith in us. We have many exciting plans for Tanjong Pagar and Queenstown," he said.
"It was a great privilege to speak for not only the people of Tanjong Pagar and Queenstown but all of Singapore on healthcare as a doctor and for the elderly. We have a rapidly ageing population and nowhere is it more obvious than in Queenstown. You see the Pioneer Generation Package, MediShield and as a doctor myself in a government hospital, I've seen the fruits of these policies, with patients telling me they appreciate these changes."
Ms Joan Pereira, 47, assistant general manager at Temasek Cares

newthread.php

Ms Pereira started official party work in May this year but has been seen walking the ground with Ms Indranee since 2014. She was a former Director for Family Life and Active Ageing at the People's Association, and recently joined Temasek Cares.

"My 25 years of grassroots experience has impressed on me the importance of anticipating and meeting needs of residents. I believe very strongly in people public and private sector partnership - I've developed many skills interpersonal and had the opportunity to work with people in these sectors and wish to build on this. And, together with the GRC residents, build a strong social fabric and tightly knit community and progress as one," she said.
Mr Melvin Yong, 43, former Assistant Commissioner of Police

newthread.php

Mr Yong's last day of work at the Police was on Sunday, Aug 16. Parts of Tanjong Pagar GRC came under his watch as Commander of Clementi Police Division from 2010 to 2014. He went on to assume the appointment of Director of that Public Affairs Department at Police Headquarters. He was previously the Director at the Police's Administration and Finance Department.
"This is a very special GRC. It was helmed by Mr Lee Kuan Yew for a very long time. I myself have benefited from the many policies that Mr Lee has put in place," he said.
On why he is choosing to move to politics, Mr Yong said: "In my 20 years as a police officer and as a grassroots volunteer for more than a decade, I've had a lot of opportunity to work with many ministers and PAP MPs. They all had this very deep dedication and commitment to making sure Singapore will be a better place and Singaporeans are better taken care of. Day and night they think about how to keep Singapore and Singaporeans safe."

- CNA/es