• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

DPP introduces Harvard grad as potential Bishan-Toa Payoh candidate

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://www.todayonline.com/singapor...al-bishan-toa-payoh-candidate?singlepage=true

[h=1]DPP introduces Harvard grad as potential Bishan-Toa Payoh candidate[/h] Democratic Progressive Party (DPP)'s potential candidate Nadine Yap. Photo: Wee Teck Hian/TODAY

By[h=2]Tan Weizhen[/h] -
[email protected] -

Published: 12:01 AM, August 15, 2015
Updated: 12:48 AM, August 15, 2015

(Page 1 of 1) - PAGINATE
SINGAPORE — The Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) has pitched a Harvard graduate to be among the slate of candidates it and the Singapore People’s Party (SPP) will be jointly fielding in Bishan-Toa Payoh Group Representation Constituency.

Ms Nadine Yap, 46, graduated with a sociology degree from Harvard College in 1992 and went on to complete a Master of Arts from Harvard University three years later.

In an interview with TODAY, the Eurasian of Chinese-German mix said she wants to contest in the coming elections because she believes there needs to be more diverse types in Parliament.

Referring to the People’s Action Party’s team for Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC, the mother-of-two described them as “people who walked a very narrow path to success”.

“The current set of PAP candidates, they look like very good ... capable people. But they are two civil servants, a doctor, a banker, and CEO of a REIT company,” said Ms Yap. “Although I think one might look at my credentials and say ‘you look like one of them’ ... I am an entrepreneur; a technologist. I am trained to think outside of the box. I am not averse to failure. So I think Bishan-Toa Payoh, and Singapore in general, needs more voices like this.”

Ms Yap spent years in the United States working for three technology start-ups as well as e-commerce giant Amazon, as a technical product manager. In 2006, returned to Singapore and joined technology company Yahoo!, also in the area of products.

She now works as a vice-president of product at Temasys, which develops platforms for next generation real-time communications applications.

Ms Yap, who joined DPP as a member in December last year, added that she is not “virulently anti-PAP”. Rather, she believes the greater Opposition presence in Parliament has brought about good change.

“The PAP is making changes, and part of it is because of an increasingly credible opposition. If the PAP ends up improving because of this, then sure, why not be part of it?” she said.

As for issues that she is looking to champion, Ms Yap pointed to education. One of her two daughters, both in primary school, is dyslexic, and she believes greater support is needed.

She believes that she would appeal to the many families who have moved to the constituency for the many reputable schools there, as well as Professionals, Managers, Executives, and Technicians — a group that her party chief Benjamin Pwee has identified form a big proportion of swing voters.

Meanwhile, Mr Pwee said he has presented 10 potential candidates — including Ms Yap and himself — for the SPP to consider to field in the five-member Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC. The DPP’s list includes architect Juliana Juwahir, party chairman Hamim Aliyas, and businessman Chia Ser Lin.

“We are still waiting for (SPP chairman) Lina Chiam to decide how many candidates from her side and how many from our side ... then we will sit down and both sides will talk. All five must be able to work as a team for the long haul,” he said.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Today 9:11 PM http://sgfuck.org/mybb/images/mobile/posted_0.gif Post: #197
alpha http://sgfuck.org/mybb/images/buddy_offline.gif
Elite Junior
http://sgfuck.org/mybb/uploads/avatars/avatar_3534.gif?dateline=1391841400
I'm impressed by DPP's candidates, really hope they win Toa Payoh Bishan in this GE.

Good interview of Benjamin Pwee in the video below, agree with what he said, PAP is full of civil servants and paper generals, Singapore needs much more opposition MPs to provide diversity of ideas and debate in parliament.

The quality of opposition candidates have greatly improved since the last GE. The opposition have now attracted equal or better candidates than the PAP.

Quote:
cropped-dpp-header-021.png

http://www.todayonline.com/singapor...d-potential-bishan-toa-payoh-candidate?page=1

Published on Aug 14, 2015

http://www.youtube.com/v/XvNbFm1YSt8

Democratic Progressive Party secretary-general Benjamin Pwee says his team of candidates for the coming General Election can offer different perspectives and solutions to challenges Singapore faces. Video: Tan Weizhen​

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Jm ChowMiss Nadine Yap, like Chan Show Mao is also from Harvard. Chan helped WP won the Aljunied GRC.
Will Nadine Yap do the same for DPP in Bishan-Toa Payoh . Very likely.

She is an entrepreneur, a technologist and a mother.... which means she is far better than the usual PAP MPs who could manager Town Council well (DPM Teo's words) ..but failed to solve technical problems which caused frequent train breakdowns (heartache to commuters).....and failed to control the fast rising cost of food and essentials...
I am sure Nadine Yap understand the importance of good train and bus services,... the ...See More

Like · Reply ·
like.png
4 · 11 hrs

Ivan Tan C Kwhy didn't pap spot her at the first place?

Like · Reply ·
like.png
1 · 13 hrs

Rykel Lim · Works at Self-Employed
Maybe because she is not from the army?

Like · Reply ·
like.png
13 · 12 hrs

Jess MeeMaybe because PAP knows image plays a part.

After all, there are many books out there telling people how to dress and act properly for certain occasion.

Although I want alternative parties to win, I seriously hope they take care of their image because humans are superficial.

Like · Reply · 8 hrs

Johari Bin Mohamed Rais · National Institute of Education
Sounds better than the WP. But let's hope this is not the making of another Meo.

Like · Reply ·
like.png
4 · 15 hrs

Jess MeeFor goodness sake, please sit with your legs together.

And dress appropriately.

Like · Reply ·
like.png
3 · 15 hrs

Alan Ng · Presbyterian High School
Your video is going to be seen by voters of Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC so …
See they have, please sit with your legs together (sit properly in this situation please) request.
Is Ms Nadine Yap going to be an interesting candidate?

Like · Reply ·
like.png
4 · 13 hrs

11412344_10153639173383322_7554763344846585517_n.jpg

Melvin Ho · Singapore
I reside in Bishan-Toa payoh. And I'm not bothered by her dress sense smile emoticon I'm more bothered about people using fake accounts to criticize others.

Like · Reply ·
like.png
6 · 13 hrs

Jess MeeMelvin Ho I'm not criticizing her. In fact, I'm giving her advice on how to not repel voters.

Like · Reply · 12 hrs

Show 6 more replies in this thread

Edwin Pang · Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
Former star athlete n gymnast fr RGS!

Like · Reply ·
like.png
4 · 15 hrs
11412344_10153639173383322_7554763344846585517_n.jpg

Melvin Ho · Singapore
Would this be her?http://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/.../straitstimes19850802-1.2...

Like · Reply ·
like.png
1 · 3 hrs

Webber MastermanNadine entering into Singapore politics offers a genuine alternative to the PAP. Singapore politic is evolving. It is good for the country as a whole. May the best man wins.

Like · Reply ·
like.png
11 · 21 hrs

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
She looks more like a man than a woman. I think I would vote for PAP instead. Their candidates look more appealing.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
anyone who has worked in corporate america and the tech industry with millions of ah nehs to deal with deserves respect.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
anyone who has worked in corporate america and the tech industry with millions of ah nehs to deal with deserves respect.

Someone like that isn't going to be easily cowed by vile pappies....
Haha looks like pap got their work cut out when such quality candidates are standing under the other opposition banners besides WP

biondi

Alfrescian
Loyal
So it is true what they said about Eurasian mixed blood. You can be incredibly beautiful or incredibly ugly.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
She looks like she could snap little kids heads off and use them as a shot put thrower if they make noise suring recess.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
She looks like she could snap little kids heads off and use them as a shot put thrower if they make noise suring recess.

tat sounds very encouraging and she will make a good speaker of the lumparleement since most MPs are dozing off. I hope she master the board duster throwing skills