• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Senior police officer Melvin Yong retiring on Aug 16

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Really no one available that they use policeman to run for GE?

melvinyong130815-axyqw.jpg

Senior police officer Melvin Yong will be retiring from the force next week, adding to speculation that he may be fielded by the People's Action Party (PAP) as a candidate at the coming general election.

A police spokesman confirmed on Wednesday that the 43-year-old Assistant Commissioner's (AC) last day of work is August 16.

Mr Yong declined to comment on his post-retirement plans but said Thursday that he had "the privilege of serving constituents both as a police officer, as well as a grassroots volunteer for many years and found it richly rewarding". He added: "I plan to continue doing so even after I retire from the force."

The Straits Times understands that the PAP will introduce him sometime next week as a candidate for Tanjong Pagar GRC alongside Labour Chief Chan Chun Sing, Senior Minister of State for Education and Law Indranee Rajah, backbencher Chia Shi-Lu and another new face, former public servant Joan Pereira.

The five-member GRC was previously helmed by former Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew until he died in March this year.

If Mr Yong is indeed fielded at the upcoming polls, he may be the first police officer to trade his blue uniform for the party's white garb since Singapore's independence.

Former police officers who are now in politics include Education Minister Heng Swee Keat, Senior Minister of State Heng Chee How, labour MP Patrick Tay and Workers' Party chairman Sylvia Lim.

However, unlike Mr Yong, these MPs had moved on from law enforcement to positions in government, the private sector or labour movement, before entering politics.

NTUC deputy director Desmond Choo, who was fielded in WP-held Hougang single-member constituency in 2011 and the 2012 by-election, is also an ex-cop. He is widely expected to be fielded by the PAP in Tampines GRC.

Mr Yong, who is currently director of the police's Public Affairs Department (PAD), will leave the force after 20 years in service. He was commander of Clementi Police Division from 2010 to 2014.

He has held key appointments such as deputy director for Planning & Organisation as well as director for Administration & Finance. He was also concurrently deputy director for Operations between November 2013 and June last year.

A police spokesman said Senior Assistant Commissioner of Police Tan Hung Hooi, who is currently director for Manpower, will cover the duties of director PAD.

"The Singapore Police Force (SPF) thanks AC Melvin Yong for his leadership and many contributions during his service," said the spokesman.

National Crime Prevention Council chairman Tan Kian Hoon, who has known Mr Yong since 2002, said Mr Yong was always able to hold "various appointments concurrently and yet do well in all of them, despite the constraint in time".

"Apart from his clear and methodical thinking, he has the EQ to motivate and garner the support of those working with him, be they his work colleagues or fellow volunteers," added Mr Tan.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Mr Yong declined to comment on his post-retirement plans but said Thursday that he had "the privilege of serving constituents both as a police officer, as well as a grassroots volunteer for many years and found it richly rewarding". He added: "I plan to continue doing so even after I retire from the force."

Similar dodgy coy nonsense when Lui Tuck Yew resigned from his last job in 2006 before joining the PAP. :rolleyes:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Melvin needs to visit his dentist NOW! He is a decent chap. One of the better senior officers in the SPF. I wonder why never promote him to SAC before retirement like the SAF did to LHL. Better credentials this way. Never worked together but I heard he is an ok guy. But, after joining the MIW, he will change. Not for the better.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ah Meng can proudly smile but not this chap. I am sure there are dentists/dental surgeons in the PAP who may be able to assist. Colgate can sponsor the ''repairs'' needed.

Darlie can put up an advertisement on him to show how using Clogate can be detrimental to your dental health

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Melvin needs to visit his dentist NOW! He is a decent chap. One of the better senior officers in the SPF. I wonder why never promote him to SAC before retirement like the SAF did to LHL. Better credentials this way. Never worked together but I heard he is an ok guy. But, after joining the MIW, he will change. Not for the better.

I believe good guys don't join bad organisations

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
long time i suspect that why pap needs to use army and police as MP.
these armies and polices officers can mobilize all their juniors and brothers and sisters and blood brothers to vote for pap.

pap sure win liao. tio boh?

Army and police are like hia tee, they can mobilize all their members to vote for PAP.
tio boh?

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Is MY a scholar?

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
long time i suspect that why pap needs to use army and police as MP.
these armies and polices officers can mobilize all their juniors and brothers and sisters and blood brothers to vote for pap.

pap sure win liao. tio boh?

Army and police are like hia tee, they can mobilize all their members to vote for PAP.
tio boh?

Uniformed officers listen to orders better. Part of DNA. Army and Police no hia tee.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal

more than dentist face is F-up.

AC--Colonel in the SAF?

JOKERCHEW

Alfrescian
Loyal

We are open everyday.
bring along your SPF ID.

Attachments

• star-wars-dentist-office.jpeg
    star-wars-dentist-office.jpeg
    45.8 KB · Views: 1,255

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A DAC in the SPF is equivalent to a Colonel in the SAF.
Therefore an AC (Assistant Commissioner) is equivalent to a BG.