• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New PAP Candidate, Potential Minister Chee Hong Tat Is A Hypocrite

ahsoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Foolish to advocate the learning of dialects

I REFER to yesterday's article by Ms Jalelah Abu Baker ('One generation - that's all it takes 'for a language to die'). It mentioned a quote from Dr Ng Bee Chin, acting head of Nanyang Technological University's (NTU) Division of Linguistics and Multilingual Studies: 'Although Singaporeans are still multilingual, 40 years ago, we were even more multilingual. Young children are not speaking some of these languages at all any more.'

To keep a language alive, it has to be used regularly. Using one language more frequently means less time for other languages. Hence, the more languages a person learns, the greater the difficulties of retaining them at a high level of fluency.

There are linguistically gifted individuals who can handle multiple languages, but Singapore's experience over 50 years of implementing the bilingual education policy has shown that most people find it extremely difficult to cope with two languages when they are as diverse as English and Mandarin.

This is why we have discouraged the use of dialects. It interferes with the learning of Mandarin and English. Singaporeans have to master English. It is our common working language and the language which connects us with the world.

We also emphasised the learning of Mandarin, to make it the mother tongue for all Chinese Singaporeans, regardless of their dialect groups. This is the common language of the 1.3 billion people in China. To engage China, overseas Chinese and foreigners are learning Mandarin and not the dialects of the different Chinese provinces.

We have achieved progress with our bilingual education in the past few decades. Many Singaporeans are now fluent in both English and Mandarin. It would be stupid for any Singapore agency or NTU to advocate the learning of dialects, which must be at the expense of English and Mandarin.

That was the reason the Government stopped all dialect programmes on radio and television after 1979. Not to give conflicting signals, then Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew also stopped making speeches in Hokkien, which he had become fluent in after frequent use since 1961.

Chee Hong Tat
Principal Private Secretary
to the Minister Mentor

http://news.asiaone.com/News/Education/Story/A1Story20090311-127699.html

Now I remember. This PAP dog talked like mini LKY. Very arrogant and condescending. I don't trust this kind of double-headed snake. Can't imagine if he becomes a minister. Why PAP always select former private secretaries to run for election? They are totally loyal to their boss and totally out-of-touch with the people.

Out!

songsongjurong

Alfrescian
Loyal
SIEW_031111_047.jpg

My million dollar paycheck..money 我爱你!

dialect comment ?!havent you heard , 底过凉底过坐???

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why PAP always select former private secretaries to run for election? They are totally loyal to their boss and totally out-of-touch with the people.

You have just answered your own question. :wink:

Arrogance, condescension and hypocrisy are the DNA of the PAP. :cool:

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
depraved

adjective*corrupt,*abandoned,*perverted,*evil,*vicious,*degraded,*vile,*degenerate,*immoral,*wicked,*shameless,*sinful,*lewd,debased,*profligate,*debauched,*lascivious,*dissolute,*licentious,*pervy*(slang)*It*has*been*condemned*as*the*most*depraved*filmof*its*kind.epraved is a very strong negative phrase

xingguy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Source: TR EMERITUS

PAP Chee condemns dialects but gives interview in Hokkien

August 13th, 2015 | Author: Editorial

PAP has formally introduced one of its new candidate for Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC, Chee Hong Tat, to the public yesterday (12 Aug).

Mr Chee was the Second Permanent Secretary for Trade and Industry. He was appointed to this position less than a year ago on 1 Dec 2014. Before this, he was the Chief Executive at the Energy Market Authority from 2011 to 2014 and prior to that, he was the Principal Private Secretary to Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew from 2008 to 2011.

He joined the Administrative Service in 1998 as Assistant Director of Human Resource Planning in the Ministry of Home Affairs. He was subsequently posted to the Ministry of Finance from 2000-2003 where he was Head of Regulatory Services and Secretary to the Council on Corporate Disclosure and Governance. From 2003-2005, he was Deputy Director for Sea Transport and Head of Strategic Planning in the Ministry of Transport. He served in the Ministry of Education as Director of Planning from 2006-2008.

Mr Chee studied at the University of California at Berkeley on an Overseas Merit Scholarship, and graduated in 1996 with a Bachelor of Science (Highest Honours) in Electrical Engineering & Computer Science and a Bachelor of Arts (Highest Honours) in Economics.

He obtained a Masters of Business Administration from the University of Adelaide in 2006, and was awarded the Newmont Australia Prize for Most Outstanding MBA Graduate.

PAP Chee gives Hokkien interview

Mr Chee told the media, “I am a resident of Bishan-Toa Payoh, so I’m very happy that the Prime Minister has decided to field me here. I have a very fond attachment to this place. One of my priorities is to meet as many residents as I can through house, market visits. I want to hear from residents how we can improve their living environment, improve their lives, for both HDB and private estates.”

“We have quite a significant elderly population. Residents tell me they want more walkways to make it more convenient for them, and more green spaces,” he added.

Capture112-640x442.jpg

Apparently, in the midst of his interview with the media, he also switched to Hokkien telling the reporters, “(Ai Zoe Tio Zoe Swee Swee) If you have a job to do, do it well.”

He also used Hokkien to speak to the reporters about his political beliefs and ideas.

PAP Chee condemns the learning of dialects at the same time

Thanks to the cyber CSI by netizens, it was found that in 2009, Mr Chee wrote to ST to rebut a forum writer for advocating the learning of dialects.

He said that the use of dialects “interferes with the learning of Mandarin and English”.

“It would be stupid for any Singapore agency or NTU to advocate the learning of dialects, which must be at the expense of English and Mandarin,” he said.

The following was the letter Mr Chee wrote to ST Forum in 2009:

Capture27.jpg

Is Mr Chee contradicting himself by giving interviews in Hokkien, since it might encourage our youngsters to learn dialects, which he is so against with?

What do you think?

End of Article

[video=youtube;4Hj2lUHVeNI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hj2lUHVeNI[/video]

At around 1:46, Hri Kumar seated next to Chee Hong Tat starts to "um chio" (snigger) when Chee speaks in Hokkien.

kopiOuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
pap will make singapore a better place for you for me for your family for your children your grandchildren
majulah pap majulah singapura

pap will make you beautiful radiant happy forever

11825101_876952659045697_133639669673065571_n.jpg

kopiOuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
pap will take care of the young the old the seniors and the pioneers

oppo can only talk
but never come anywhere near to help
they are simply clowns and jokers
spoilers and opportunitists

RogerK

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Now I remember. This PAP dog talked like mini LKY. Very arrogant and condescending. I don't trust this kind of double-headed snake. Can't imagine if he becomes a minister. Why PAP always select former private secretaries to run for election? They are totally loyal to their boss and totally out-of-touch with the people.

Out!

I hope the opposition will show his reply letter about dialect and then show the vid on his hokkien speech during their rally.

Let the voters know that he is such a 假惺惺.

How to trust such 伪君子?

RogerK

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
smiling humble faces
good people material
good public image
surely win.....
and if you look at the oppo candidates
you will puke immediately...

Eh Kopi, you just come out from pep talk right?

Thatz why posting with such great fervent.

Think you got it wrong. It is when I see such kwailan face as that Chee Hong arsehole I puke immediately.

Also now when I see than J Teo, I felt so disgusting. All these double headed snakes.