• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

do you leave tips( change) even after service charge?

SirRichard

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi,

This came to my mind after traveling back from Ang Mo countries. In the west, there no service charged levied and it's only right to leave 10% to 15% tip to reward the server. But in the context of SEA countries, with service and GST of up to 15%, do you still leave tips or leave the coins or leaving nothing at all? Just curious. For me I leave the coins. I do wonder whether how the restaurant boss treat the service charge, do they pay the wait staff or they makan the money? anyone know the answer?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi,

This came to my mind after traveling back from Ang Mo countries. In the west, there no service charged levied and it's only right to leave 10% to 15% tip to reward the server. But in the context of SEA countries, with service and GST of up to 15%, do you still leave tips or leave the coins or leaving nothing at all? Just curious. For me I leave the coins. I do wonder whether how the restaurant boss treat the service charge, do they pay the wait staff or they makan the money? anyone know the answer?

Afaik the 10% service charge is not mandated by law. So you can refuse to pay it.
It's supposed to be shared among the staff but I have not heard any f & b doing it.....some might set aside that amount for staff welfare though.

xpo2015

Alfrescian
Loyal
Every angmo countries are different, some require tips other don't! Have to check the internet first before you travel! Tips are extra income for the waiter or waitresses! Many of them are students working partime, you are helping them if you give tips! They dun have to eat bread three times a day!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Regardless of what the local customs/practice is, I leave a tip only if I feel like it - was the service satisfactory? Good? Sucks? Was the waiter/waitress polite/attentive. And also whether I feel rich that day or am broke, is it inconvenient to take all that change? Or more convenient to leave it? No fixed rules for me. I have left tips even when there was a service charge, and there have been times I scraped every coin into my pocket. No fixed rules for me here, if the waiter is working on a day I feel good., s/he is lucky, if not, tough.

Cheers!