• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

50 years of marriage for couple living in 1-roon flat & fined for 3rd Child...

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://mypaper.sg/top-stories/sg50-means-50-years-marriage-couple-20150807

MY_20150807_STCOUPLE07_P_1581011.jpg
[h=3][/h]DOUBLE HAPPINESS: Mr Kwan married Madam Wong 50 years ago, holding their wedding banquet two months before Singapore was separated from Malaysia.

Their secret to staying together is putting their children first. ST PHOTO: DESMOND FOO

Published on Aug 07, 2015[h=2]SG50 means 50 years of marriage for couple[/h]

MELODY ZACCHEUS

As Singapore was finding its feet after being thrust into independence in 1965, two people set eyes on each other and have stayed in love till today. With the country celebrating its 50th birthday this year, we find out how their love endured the times.

HE SAW her as a beauty unlike any other. She was attracted by thoughts of a stable life and future.

Retired teacher Kwan Kai Foo, 83, and housewife Wong Ngit Mui, 72, have stayed married for the past 50 years.

They celebrated their golden jubilee on May 30 with a trip to Bali.

Mr Kwan first laid eyes on Madam Wong in her kampung at Old Airport Road.

"I always saw this girl around. She was very attractive. I wondered how I could get to know her," said Mr Kwan, who was in a pair of light blue pyjamas as he recounted his love story from his one-room flat in Buangkok Drive.

He said he had asked his aunt to introduce him to her and they soon started going on dates. Their favourite haunt was Kallang and both loved eating hor fun.

Although they had dated for a year, they rarely held hands.

Madam Wong said: "He was a teacher. He had a good education so I chose him. There were very few teachers in those days, and even fewer knew English."

Mr Kwan also used to teach her the English language.

But the roles are somewhat reversed today. He is now hard of hearing and she has to yell instructions into his ear.

But she is patient with him, even as he recounts his experience with the invading Japanese forces during World War II.

She gently reminds him to stay on topic.

After several attempts to recall where they held their wedding banquet, they name Lai Wah Restaurant in Bendemeer, where suckling pig was served, two months before Singapore was separated from Malaysia.

Today, they have three grown children in their 40s. But parenthood was not easy.

Tight purse strings and the Government's stop-at-two policy persuaded them to abort their fourth child. They were fined $50 for their third offspring.

"In retrospect, it wasn't a good policy," said Mr Kwan.

They said the secret to staying together is putting their children first.

"We didn't flare up often," he added. "We didn't want to fight in front of our children. We worked hard at protecting our marriage."

Madam Wong is pleased that her life partner has never drunk alcohol or smoked.

"He has been a good husband. He took care of the household well. We don't have to tell each other we love each other to know that we care for each other."

[email protected]

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I like the food at Lai Wah Restaurant. I remember some time ago, there was an offer for their roast chicken. It was really good!

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I like the food at Lai Wah Restaurant. I remember some time ago, there was an offer for their roast chicken. It was really good!

You cheap pedophile. What offer? $2.50 for a roast chicken? You are just like your master who steals toothpicks and eats xiaolongbao with special offer given only to PAP ministar.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://www.hungrygowhere.com/singapore/lai_wah_restaurant/

[h=1]Lai Wah Restaurant (丽华酒家)[/h]3.5
Eatability rating
13 reviews
Write a review

Asian • Chinese
Address: #01-1436, 44 Bendemeer Road, 330044

Claiming to be the first restaurant to invent the popular Chinese New Year dish yusheng, this family-run establishment served traditional Cantonese cuisine in a nostalgic setting. The signature dish is the Mandarin stewed chicken, which is fried, boiled, then stewed in a concoction of herbs and wine. Other favourites are the fried golden beancurd and "garoupa in two tastes".

Opening Hours:Mon - Fri: 11:00 - 14:30
Mon - Fri: 18:00 - 21:30
Sat - Sun: 11:00 - 14:30
Sat - Sun: 18:00 - 22:00

Phone: +65 62949922
+65 62984460

Average Price:$24 based on 19 submissions

Suitable For:Children/Family (8 votes), Dinner (8 votes), Large Groups/Gathering (5 votes)

Social:Bookmark

Report a Correction

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lai Wah owned by one of the 4 heavenly king chefs. It's suffered bad business during the mrt building back then.....now still going strong. I have a CNY dinner there once every year without fail for the past few decades. The original Lai Wah was at Jalan Besar. It used to be the place for wedding dinners

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lai Wah owned by one of the 4 heavenly king chefs. It's suffered bad business during the mrt building back then.....now still going strong. I have a CNY dinner there once every year without fail for the past few decades. The original Lai Wah was at Jalan Besar. It used to be the place for wedding dinners

Sin Leong was another popular place. There were 2 locations. One on Serangoon and another at MacPherson. Now both are gone. When passing the Macperson branch I would often hear "Saaaaaamseng" :smile:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sin Leong was another popular place. There were 2 locations. One on Serangoon and another at MacPherson. Now both are gone. When passing the Macperson branch I would often hear "Saaaaaamseng" :smile:

Right outside potong pasir.
The other famous ones were red ruby, dragon phoniex, red star....all owned by members of the heavenly kings

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Did they have one at MacPherson?, I only know the one, that is near to PP MRT Station, now a condo built by the Malaysian Group Indah....that area was known as Woodleigh or Woodleigh Circle, there was a roundabout there in the past..

Was Yammm yammm seng? samseng? :rolleyes:

blissquek

Alfrescian
Loyal

John..on behalf of your master, can you reimburse the $50 that was taken from them.

Though it may not be enough for a nice meal at Lai Wah, at least they can still enjoy their favourite Hor Fun...

Will you do just that,,????..Thanks..

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Contradictory article isn't it?

Pappy scum wants to revive the old good memories of Sinkie lives when they were committed, not by materialism but by sheer hard work while the white scums themselves are the ones who are committed to materialism and betrayal of their citizens to begin with.

Or the message to Sinkie peasants is...

ACCEPT your low lives fate cos YOU ARE MADE TO BE RULED BY PAPPY, FROM THE IVORY TOWER?LoLoLoL