• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

is taxi driving a low caste job?

is taxi driving a low caste job?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
even my relative ask me not to drive? he say will bring down your esteem, what do you all think?

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
When you were a student in school, did you ever think that "When I grow up, I want to be a taxi driver?"

Obviously not. It is not a career anyone aspires to be in. There are two categories of taxi-drivers here in Singapore, those who do it to make a living, and those who are in it to pass the time (like on a Saturday or Sunday, off from their daily work). From what I see, it is not easy to be in the first category where one needs to make the money to raise a family. In the second category, it is a more meaningful "past time" that spending one's day off at the kopitiam drinking and yakking away with friends.

To your question, there is nothing wrong with being a taxi-driver. It is legal and honest way to earn money, and a personal choice. Nobody forced one to be a taxi-driver. Low esteem? Not at all, it is honest work. Have fun!

Cheers!

even my relative ask me not to drive? he say will bring down your esteem, what do you all think?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I've met many highly motivated and professional taxi drivers in Singapore who are serious about their driving job. I believe if one were to put in extra effort to provide good service to their pessengers he or she will be able to demonstrate their professionalism passengers will look at them with respect and appreciation thus the job is not perceived as low class. If a driver were to boh chap then passengers will view them as low class and scums. So a lot depend of the individual driver how he want his customers to see him.

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
u want to curse taxi drivers to die in agony and pain especially when u want to take taxi at 6pm at cbd.
These fuckers will drive pass you and ask: anybody going to suntec.
mother fuckers, taxi drivers are scum and pariah

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Depending on how you see it. These are "sidelines" to boost income, or added service the cabbie provides. I was in Sri Lanka way back in 1992 when I boarded a taxi and casually asked him where I can buy ganja, he said he'll get it for me and met me later to deliver the goods at the hotel where he dropped me. That was fantastic service! I wonder if Comfort Delgro can offer this?

Cheers!

ya right! taxi drivers are scums, pimp, ah loong runner, drug trafficker etc.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Depending on how you see it. These are "sidelines" to boost income, or added service the cabbie provides. I was in Sri Lanka way back in 1992 when I boarded a taxi and casually asked him where I can buy ganja, he said he'll get it for me and met me later to deliver the goods at the hotel where he dropped me. That was fantastic service! I wonder if Comfort Delgro can offer this?

Cheers!

Do this kind of service ...pay with life to earn pittance. Sinkees are kiasi in any case.

And the angmos won't pay the fares.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
There's probably only group of people I really hate a look down on and they are the people working in Sim Lim or Best Denki or Funan or Courts etc funny these people seem to talk the same, behave the same and hell even similar hair styles. The real worms and scums of society.

CABcommander

Alfrescian
Loyal
Krafty aka hotbod aka dancingshoes,

What do you think? If you have a son and one day he comes home telling you his ambition in life is to be a taxi driver like his dad?

There, you have the answer. Taxi driving is an honest way of making a living but it is certainly not a job that you can be proud of. Making the matters worse is most taxi drivers are scums, gamblers, dua kang boasters, prc chicken chasers etc.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There's probably only group of people I really hate a look down on and they are the people working in Sim Lim or Best Denki or Funan or Courts etc funny these people seem to talk the same, behave the same and hell even similar hair styles. The real worms and scums of society.

right those low class chinese speaking bengs that work in those electronics department stores,challenger,harvey norman,best denki,dont know whether its some kind of hiring policy or just a matter of einstein theory of shit attracting shit relativity,almost every salesmen u encounter in those electronic stores seem to have some attitude problem,major malfunction,arrogant,bo chup,more interested in entertaining themselves and their colleaques then serving customers.

even 30 seconds of service is too much to ask while buying their overpriced garbage.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
When you were a student in school, did you ever think that "When I grow up, I want to be a taxi driver?"

Obviously not. It is not a career anyone aspires to be in. There are two categories of taxi-drivers here in Singapore, those who do it to make a living, and those who are in it to pass the time (like on a Saturday or Sunday, off from their daily work). From what I see, it is not easy to be in the first category where one needs to make the money to raise a family. In the second category, it is a more meaningful "past time" that spending one's day off at the kopitiam drinking and yakking away with friends.

To your question, there is nothing wrong with being a taxi-driver. It is legal and honest way to earn money, and a personal choice. Nobody forced one to be a taxi-driver. Low esteem? Not at all, it is honest work. Have fun!

Cheers!

Yes! I am pretty sure some ministers will come out and say there are cabbies who do it to pass time, you know like a hobby and get to travel while working.

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
ANOTHER group of mother fuckers are used cars dealers and bengs at car showroom

Helo Ms Gin, you seem to curse all these jobs...you know even those who wear neck tie, nice suits are also scums?

Like lawyers....property agents...maybe even secret agent...hahaha

Might as well ask you...then which jobs are where 'nice ppl' found cos from the way you feel...there probably isn't many jobs that seem to have found favor with you!

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
right those low class chinese speaking bengs that work in those electronics department stores,challenger,harvey norman,best denki,dont know whether its some kind of hiring policy or just a matter of einstein theory of shit attracting shit relativity,almost every salesmen u encounter in those electronic stores seem to have some attitude problem,major malfunction,arrogant,bo chup,more interested in entertaining themselves and their colleaques then serving customers.

even 30 seconds of service is too much to ask while buying their overpriced garbage.

I visit these places only to see and review products before I buy. For actual purchase I just make a phone call to neighborhood shop like Goh Ah Bee in Kovan and get it delivered.

Last edited: