• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Supersized Bus Lanes critical for the development and progress of Singapore

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
Supersized Bus Lanes critical for the development and progress of Singapore:

1) Allows cyclist to travel safely on public roads: All public buses/ public service vehicles (ambulance, police, SCDF) have on board cameras so the drivers of these public vehicles know that they have the responsibility to overtake safely: the extra large size of bus lanes will allow buses to more easily overtake cyclist (who must adopt single file when honked at) with a 1.5m clearance distance without too much infringement into a second lane (as is the case currently). With the improvement of Li-ion technology benefiting light electrical gadgets from handphones to flying drones, the era of the electric powered bicycle cannot be over-emphasized.

2) Population growth/ Silver generation
Bus lane schemes (full day/ half day) operate during times of highest vehicular traffic flow to ensure that important public service vehicles have a clear path ahead: http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publi...ds/traffic_management/full_day_bus_lanes.html . Medishield-life would be a pointless exercise if one were to die in an ambulance due to being stuck in a severe traffic jam. With population growth/ increased wealth divide, society is expected to become more disorganised (increase crime, increased social problems): widespread and widened bus lanes allow for increased efficiency of the police and SCDF in conducting their duties to curb crime and the loss of innocent lives: in this regard, more emphasis in the widening and expansion of bus lane schemes is necessary.

3) Improved population physical and mental health, productivity and bank account as more individuals adopt the healthy lifestyle of cycling. People unable to afford cars would no longer be at the mercy of for profit public transport companies and would also feel less dissenting towards richer Singaporeans since those unable to own cars will still be able to experience the convenience of owning a personal 'vehicle' albeit that it is just a humble bicycle (good for mental health). Cycling, besides being FOC exercise also improves air-quality and is the least if not negligible in CO2 emissions: the improvement in the air-quality from prudent motor vehicle use is a great plus for human health. There will be less dependence on bus and trains use (both of which are MORE costly AND breakdown prone than bicycle use). With bicycle use being basically FOC, those who opt to cycle to work can expect to save a large chunk of their transport and parking costs.

4) Being able to independently maneuver a vehicle be it car, bicycle/ motorcycle is an important life lesson which trains independence and interaction with other road users: this important training can be applied to work productivity with workers being more alert and independent. Singapore does not need an army of expressionless, unfit, unproductive citizen worker-bots: Singapore needs realistic thinkers able to contribute new ideas and progress to the world. There is no better way to relate with one's surrounding environment than a journey cycling to work.

Therefore, given anticipated savings in unnecessary healthcare costs (the consequence of chronic diseases due to air-pollution, work-stress and physical inactivity), public service organisations working inefficiently (public buses, SCDF, police vehicles stuck in traffic gridlock/ jams), it is not difficult to appreciate how beneficial a lane widening and widespread expansion of the bus lane scheme can be.

To make space for widened bus lanes, increase ERP rates and further shrink the supply of COEs pls.

References:
- 'Public transport in Singapore: Ride bicycle is faster.' [18Jan2012] viewable at http://forums.fuckwarezone.com.sg/c...rt-singapore-ride-bicycle-faster-3572846.html
- Efficient use of road space for shorter distances, ride bicycle is better:
"In the space it takes to accommodate 60 cars, cities can accommodate around sixteen buses or more than 600 bikes. As Australia’s population swells and our cities experience ever increasing congestion we need to get smarter about how we use existing road space—including investing more in alternatives such as public transport and cycling—if we are to move people more efficiently and effectively.” said former professional cyclist Stephen Hodge (Australia).
7999178447_e3e87542fe_o.jpg

CanberraTransportPhoto.jpg

Münster's iconic 'waste of space' photo keeps on giving - Bikehub - http://www.bikehub.co.uk

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore is too hot. Cyclists get all stinky and sweaty.

Excuses, excuses, excuses... Fossil fuels for motorised transport costs more than water? Then what are bath showers for? And after desk work 9-5, taking care of housework etc there is still time to exercise???!!!

Diabetes rates and consequently kidney failure-dialysis rates are hitting the roof in Singapore and also elsewhere in Asia.

May I remind that the Japanese army in WW2 conquered Singapore viz Malaya with stolen bicycles and a bunch of bamboo poles (to make sounds akin to high gun fire power). With the average nsman being so scared of 'stinky, sweaty', it is only telling what a bunch of softies Singaporean's have degenerated into.....

It will be a sad case if by virtue of our softness/ weakness, we are once again attacked and conquered by a foreign force banging bamboo poles and riding stolen bicycles.

So heat/ smell cannot be excuse not to cycle. Singaporean's have indeed become a bunch of physical/ mental weaklings over the years...

Ride a bicycle, embrace the modern, environmentally conscious world...

(PS: to make Singapore surrender, torpedo all oil tankers and blow up local oil stores, U wouldn't believe how fast the average nsman will surrender when he finds his planes and drones short of fuel and thus grounded, unable to fly)...

Last edited:

soh1973

Alfrescian
Loyal
I live in AMK and occasionally cycle to work in Suntec. The PCN has made it very convenient and safe and it will take me between 45 and 60 minutes to get into office.

It will be fantastic if there are additional infrastructures such as bicycle parking space and public shower facilities other than those provided by the gym. I must confess that when I do cycle to work, I will feel more refreshed and better prepared to take on the day's challenges after a nice shower. Hence I do hesitate in linking a preference to have a shower after a workout with softness/weakness.

After all, like the old saying, "Cleanliness is next to Godliness", its nice to feel clean especially if one is going to spend the next 10 to 12 hours in the office.

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore is too hot. Cyclists get all stinky and sweaty.
I live in AMK and occasionally cycle to work in Suntec. The PCN has made it very convenient and safe and it will take me between 45 and 60 minutes to get into office.
It will be fantastic if there are additional infrastructures such as bicycle parking space and public shower facilities other than those provided by the gym. I must confess that when I do cycle to work, I will feel more refreshed and better prepared to take on the day's challenges after a nice shower. Hence I do hesitate in linking a preference to have a shower after a workout with softness/weakness.
After all, like the old saying, "Cleanliness is next to Godliness", its nice to feel clean especially if one is going to spend the next 10 to 12 hours in the office.
Shower after exercise and before starting work is normal thing to do. What I do take issue with is silly people who think that the solution to global warming is to install more air-conditioning... No, I am not accusing leongsam of being guilty of such, but many are...

And about the EXCUSE that cycling to work is NOT POSSIBLE because 'too hot': then pls LEARN from those who cycle everywhere (e.g. Bangladeshi construction workers, foreign talents expats, Chinatown/ Geylang uncles) how useful the bicycle still is...
LKY and even PM Lee HL says that Singaporean's should be EXCEPTIONAL but stupid excuses like 'weather too hot' etc only shows what softies and loosers Singaporean's really are... No wonder every incamp outfield training, everyone has some excuse or another, cannot stay too long in the field/ under sun, or on MC (no show) altogether...