• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PAP Greatest Fear: May it bear fruit this election

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yesterday 10:37 PM http://sgfuck.org/mybb/images/mobile/posted_0.gif Post: #1
forum456 http://sgfuck.org/mybb/images/buddy_offline.gif
Elite Junior

http://www.cheesoonjuan.com/home/may-it-bear-fruit-this-election

“He huffed and he puffed, and he blewwww the house down!” I remember reading to my kids the story of the Three Little Pigs when they were young, the same story we all heard when we were little.

But it seems that the fable was not just written for children. For me, at least, it carries a profound lesson that many adults seem to have forgotten: Investing time and effort to build a sound foundation for whatever endeavour we may pursue. In other words, delayed gratification is crucial for change and success.

I've tried to let this life lesson guide my work in the SDP. In 1994, I wrote my first political book, Dare To Change, in which I set out to envision an alternative socio-politico-economic system for Singapore, refining my ideas through the years in subsequent publications. The cornerstone of my thesis was that without political rights, it was difficult, if not altogether impossible, to speak of our economic rights. Looking back at developments in recent years, I think I have been largely right.

There was a time, however, when I was variously accused of being too academic in my approach to politics or of not being “in tune” with the masses by talking about human rights rather than kitchen-table issues.

Again in retrospect, I could hardly have done anything else. I have always believed – and I still do – that without a clear ideological framework around which a party erects its house, we are like the two little pigs who built their huts with sticks and straw.

Having clear ideals and ideas about who we are as a party and what we hope to achieve for our nation is, in my mind, fundamental. Without them, how are the citizens going to know why and what they are voting for? How are the constituents to know whether campaign promises are kept?

Without such a contract, elected officials can act in their own personal interests – and they often do. This is the fastest way to create disillusionment among the people and destroy the good name of democracy.

Track us

If the SDP is going to campaign on accountability in political governance, we can do no less than to be accountable ourselves. And the only way that we can be held accountable is to tell our fellow citizens before an election the issues we will pursue and alternatives we will champion when we are in Parliament.

In other words, we are inviting voters to track our Parliamentary performance, and if we're found wanting, they have good reason show us the exit at the next polls. This is the only way we can make our political system responsive to the wishes of the people.

This is also the reason why in the last few years, my colleagues and I invested much time and effort into drawing up alternative policy papers in key areas that affect our society: housing, health care, population, education, social security, productivity, income inequality, ministerial salaries, discrimination, etc. (please visit the SDP website yoursdp.org to read the papers).

In doing so, however, we have been asked some questions. The first is, how many people actually read such policy papers? To be absolutely honest, very few. But this does not mean that the papers are not important; they provide the substrate without which policy debates cannot take place.

Another question is: are we not afraid that our ideas might be pilfered by the PAP? If the alternatives that we propose are adopted by the PAP and become public policy, the beneficiaries are the people. That cannot be a bad thing, can it? And if the ruling party actually adopts the SDP's ideas – which they have on several occasions (see here) – wouldn't this encourage the people to support a constructive opposition party?

Are we also not opening ourselves to criticism by our opponents if we put our ideas on paper? Maybe. But if an idea is worth the attention of the people, it is worth defending. Of course, it is safer to remain silent because silence attracts no criticism. I am, however, reminded of what someone once said: A ship is safer in the harbour, but that's not what ships are made for.

A reason to vote for the SDP

I take it to be self-evident that Singapore needs a bigger opposition presence in Parliament. I also suspect that Singaporeans want to see a competent and constructive opposition, one that they can be proud of.

When I entered politics nearly 25 years ago, I stood against another new entrant, Mr Teo Chee Hean (who is now Deputy Prime Minister) in the 1992 by-election in the Marine Parade GRC. He said then that the opposition “only knew how to throw stones” and did not provide any constructive ideas.

I must admit that it hit a nerve in me. I said to myself then that however painstaking the process, we had to provide alternative solutions to the problems that we raised. In other words, we had to give Singaporeans a reason to vote for the SDP, not just against the PAP.

Putting in the effort to build a foundation for our party was the best thing we could have done. May it bear fruit this election.

(4 August 2015)

kopiOuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
too late mr chee
too late mr chee
you are twenty years too late

the damage has been done
the bitter fruits had been plucked
your vision had blurred
your aspirations all fallen flat

pap will return in an ever overwhelming landslide victory

the oppo is divided in shreds
the oppo is in a mess
murky muddy mouldy

give the people another fight
and then retire and enjoy your fruits of labour

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Well said Dr Chee..

Now this is a good guide to check the sinkieness level of the ball-less population in sinkieland..

xpo2015

Alfrescian
Loyal
I take it to be self-evident that Singapore needs a bigger opposition presence in Parliament. I also suspect that Singaporeans want to see a competent and constructive opposition, one that they can be proud of.

Are you kidding me? 40% of the Singaporeans voted for oppositions but managed to get less than 10% of oppositions in Parliament!!

Is there something wrong with oppositions tactics and strategies? Or they are only serving their own egos or self interests?

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Are you kidding me? 40% of the Singaporeans voted for oppositions but managed to get less than 10% of oppositions in Parliament!!

Is there something wrong with oppositions tactics and strategies? Or they are only serving their own egos or self interests?

Remove GRC lah..all those 4 and 6 seat GRC replace with single seat SMC. Then you truly sees 40%.

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal

Is there osmething wrong with oppositions tactics and strategies? Or they are only serving their own egos or self interests?

Is there osmething wrong with oppositions tactics and strategies?

It is you who is something wrong not oppositions tactics and strategies. Can't you see the papzis manipulating the system? The redrawing of the boundaries always to their advantage.

So glaring is the GRC system. Introduced to win seats collectively and deny the oppos the chance to compete fairly.

Last edited:

xpo2015

Alfrescian
Loyal
How much more can they continue to redraw the boundaries?

Where is the tipping point?

kopiOuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
Remove GRC lah..all those 4 and 6 seat GRC replace with single seat SMC. Then you truly sees 40%.

chewwukia shut the mouth up
none of your business
go back and sarport your nazip
none of your business here
tok also no use
chewwukia piakia hooligan
balik kampong nazip

kopiOuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
How much more can they continue to redraw the boundaries?

Where is the tipping point?

as long as people move
as long as we have new singaporeans
as long as we have housing estates going up here and there
as long as Singapore prosper and progress
as long as Singapore survive thru the ages
boundaries will be drawn and redrawn to keep the sanity
to keep the peace
to keep the harmony
majulah pap!!! majulah singapura!!!

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
too late mr chee
too late mr chee
you are twenty years too late

the damage has been done
the bitter fruits had been plucked
your vision had blurred
your aspirations all fallen flat

pap will return in an ever overwhelming landslide victory

the oppo is divided in shreds
the oppo is in a mess
murky muddy mouldy

give the people another fight
and then retire and enjoy your fruits of labour

It is never too late to get rid of the PAP.
If PAP doesn't play fair in elections,
then it will be tossed out in violent reactions.

kopiOuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is never too late to get rid of the PAP.
If PAP doesn't play fair in elections,
then it will be tossed out in violent reactions.

aiyah don't be so naïve lah
Singapore pap will rule Singapore forever

just look at the oppo now
they are just washing machines!!!!
cleaning their own dirty
sharing their own shit
fighting over their own turf...useless!!!!

giphy.gif

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

There is nothing wrong with oppositions tactics and strategies. Different opposition parties have different missions. Some are there to win, others are there just to participate.

There is also nothing wrong with 40% opp votes but only 10% of oppositions in parliament. It is a good estimate that 3/4 of the oppositions are there just to participate and not to win. So the votes given to them will not translate into a seat in parliament because they have no intention to win. That explains why WP won while SDA holds the "record" but is still around. Oh I forgot to mention gms.