• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PMETs do face uncertainty, PM Lee now admits

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal
PMETs do face uncertainty, PM Lee now admits

AUGUST 3, 2015 BY ANDREW LOH IN NEWS · 8 COMMENTS

foreigners-2.jpg

The Telegraph, Nov 2014

“Pampered, mediocre, expensive, timid”?

That was how the Government-controlled local press once asked of the professionals, managers, executives and technicians – or PMETs.

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, however, seems to now admit that the problems faced by this group of Singaporeans are in fact real.

After insisting for years that “foreigners do not take jobs away from locals”, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong has now tacitly admitted that perhaps they do, and this has affected the PMETs in particular.

The government’s position on foreign workers or foreign talents, however, was not always so.

“I hope Singaporeans will look at the contributions of foreign workers objectively – they are not here to steal our jobs, but to help us enlarge the economic pie,” Mr Lee said in his May Day Rally speech in 2008.

Now, he says such competition between locals and foreigners present him with a “problem”.

“[When] a PMET comes to compete with a PMET, I have a political problem,” Mr Lee said in an interview with Ambassador-at-Large Professor Chan Heng Chee on Sunday.

lhl5.jpg

Prof Chan had asked Mr Lee how the government would address the concerns of PMETs “who worry that foreigners are prepared to come in to work for less pay and they are marginalised.”

“So, how do you stop PMETS from being passed over and lose out as a result?” she asked.

Mr Lee replied that the situation has changed somewhat from earlier days when “the PMETs were a very small portion of the population.”

“And so if you are a PMET, you are at the top 10 per cent,” he said. “You are presumed to know to how to look after yourself and the numbers are not big, but now PMETs are maybe half the workforce.”

Now, however, Mr Lee says the government “can’t quite take a let-things-be approach” anymore.

“I think that we have to make sure that the PMETs get a fair opportunity, that they fairly treated and that we are not overwhelmed by an inflow which is squeezing our own people,” he said, apparently admitting that the influx of cheaper foreigners is a danger to locals losing their jobs.

Mr Lee cited the government schemes which have been introduced to give PMETs “a fair opportunity, that they fairly treated and that we are not overwhelmed by an inflow which is squeezing our own people.”

Nonetheless, Mr Lee said that “there will always be frictions when you have a foreign worker population or immigrant population in the country” and that the government would have to “manage that”.

Mr Lee’s remarks in the interview is a somewhat different take on the issue of foreign workers or foreign talent.

In his May Day Rally speech in 2008, Mr Lee had insisted that “foreigners do not take jobs away from locals”, amidst complaints that Singaporeans were being passed over in jobs by employers who preferred foreigners.

And in 2011, Mr Lee was again adamant that “foreigners create good jobs for Singaporeans”.

foreigners-1-650x355.jpg

Straits Times

In a 2011 Yahoo report, Mr Lee was reported thus, when defending the government’s open-door policy on foreigners:

“PM Lee cited statistics to rebut the notion that foreigners are competing with Singaporeans for jobs. He said that of the 1,200 workers at IM Flash Singapore, six in 10 employees are Singaporeans and permanent residents (PRs), and four in 10 are foreigners.

“Furthermore, two-thirds of the managerial and professional positions are taken up by Singaporeans and PRs, while two-thirds of the technician and manufacturing jobs are done by foreigners.

“Without the foreign workers, we would not have attracted this US$3 billion investment, and Intel and Micron would have built its wafer fab elsewhere,” said PM Lee.

“But by allowing in a controlled number of foreign workers, far from disadvantaging Singaporean workers, we have created more good jobs for Singaporeans. For every one foreign worker, we have created 1.5 local jobs in this project,” he added.

Indeed, Mr Lee’s position seems to waiver from time to time, one moment telling Singaporeans that they should not be paranoid about the future, and in the next, saying that they should in fact be paranoid.

“I think that is what Singapore needs to do – to be aware, to be paranoid so you always know that somebody can take your lunch away,” he said last year, 2014.

But in 2015, in an interview with the Financial Times, when Mr Lee was asked “if Singaporeans still need to feel insecure” about their future, his response was:

“You don’t have to be paranoid but you do have to take risks very seriously.”

While the results of government support schemes are yet to be seen – whether they will indeed give locals a fair opportunity when it comes to jobs and wages – what is also disconcerting is how young these Singaporeans are who are finding it hard to find jobs and need help from the government.

A recent Ministry of Manpower (MOM) report showed “that close to three in four workers retrenched in the first quarter of this year were professionals, managers, executives and technicians, compared with one in two last year,” the TODAY newspaper reported.

“Over half did not find new jobs within six months.”

Workers aged 40 and above took a longer time to find jobs, compared to younger ones.

Older PMETs have got it worse, and needing more support in finding jobs after being retrenched.

Lee-Hsien-Loong-pap60-party-rally-200x200.jpg

Lee

This was why Career Activation Programme — a tie-up between the National Trades Union Congress (NTUC) and local social enterprise GioCareers – was recently introduced to provide support for older unemployed PMETs.

“Hopefully somebody ‘up there’ reads this and improves the predicament of many like myself,” said Mr Long, 58, in a recent Straits Times report.

Mr Long used to work as a general manager in the oil and gas industry, drawing some $15,000 a month.

Now, it takes him eight months to make that much – Mr Long now works as a taxi driver after having lost his job, and after having spent six years looking for another one.

“I’m not asking to become a GM again, I just want to be somewhere I can contribute with my experience,” he said.

Andrew Loh

Andrew Loh is the co-founder of The Online Citizen in December 2006. His writings have been reproduced in other publications, including the Australian Housing Journal. He was nominated by Yahoo Singapore as one of Singapore's most influential media persons in 2011.

Last edited:

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lee Hsien Loong can admit anything that he fancy to get more votes.
Just like this student Dr Koh Poh Koon who admited that he has 2 father, punggol and amk.

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal
[h=2]Angry netizens not convinced of PM’s speech on FTs[/h]
dmca_protected_sml_120n.png
PostDateIcon.png
August 3rd, 2015 |
PostAuthorIcon.png
Author: Editorial

pm-lee-and-prof-chan-data1-300x199.jpg

PM Lee was interviewed by Ambassador-at-Large Chan Heng Chee on Friday (31 Jul) for a programme, ‘A Conversation with the PM: Our Future, Our People’, which was telecast on TV yesterday night (2 Aug).

In the show, Mr Lee touched on concerns about the economy, anxiety over job competition with foreigners and also a possible identity crisis in the future.

With regard to the FT issue, Mr Lee said that the government has addressed the issue.

“I would say we have addressed the issue, we have made the difficulties more manageable. There will always be frictions when you have a foreign worker population or immigrant population in the country and we have to manage that, and that requires good behaviour and adjustment both on the part of the foreign workers and the immigrants as well as on the part of the Singaporeans … I would like to keep this a Singapore-Singapore and that it has to maintain that Singapore character,” he said.

He said that it is the Government’s duty to grapple with the “very difficult issue” of getting the inflow of foreign labour right – and at the same time maintaining the unique identity of the nation.

“It is an issue where honestly speaking, there are no easy choices. There are trade-offs,” he said.

He also said that as a Government, he has to make the tough FT decision on behalf of Singaporeans.

“It is our job to think of these issues and to make the best decisions which we can, in our judgment, on your behalf and to account to you, and say to the best of my ability this is what I have decided I have to do,” he said.

“And you may agree with it, you may not agree with it, but I can tell you in complete honesty that I am trying my best to do this on your behalf. And I cannot avoid doing this because otherwise I think I will be letting you down.”

“I do not owe hundreds of millions of potential foreign workers from around the world an obligation. I owe Singaporeans a responsibility,” he added.

However, on Facebook, many netizens appeared not to agree with him. They are not convinced that PM Lee has taken Singaporeans seriously

[Link]:
Comments_-_2015-08-02_22.27.06.png

Comments_-_2015-08-02_22.26.45.png

Comments_-_2015-08-02_22.28.53.png

Comments_-_2015-08-02_22.28.00.png

Comments_-_2015-08-02_22.27.39.png

Capture2-640x418.jpg

On HWZ forum, netizens were equally angry. It appears that instead of reassuring Singaporeans, more are getting angrier after hearing what PM Lee said about his government has already addressed the FT issue:

bastogne: oredi discussed before riaos pmet ft cannot omit becos of the treaties signed wif dunch knoe witch nations.

168168: I don’t believe any blue collar locals will want foreign PMET and say foreign PMET create job for them. Only PAP said so and PAP is not blue collar.

mocax: his brain a bit sot sot liao….

kel666: wat he smoking sia, i also want. He ish too damn high

Ohayo!: do we really want a prime minister who is clueless about his own country sentiments?

minimalistism: He betray our country and his father and Lao goh legacy… He diam diam can or not… If I’m him I don’t dare talk so much because really Jin sia sway and lau kwee

yperic: Now GE coming then say all this let see if he still remember what he say after GE.

greenbubble: I switched channel when I hear him talking about foreign workers. It is rubbish talk and waste of time.

jack72: Now they begin to lose votes (adjunied grc) then wake up their idea

daylight: FT manager only hire their own kind, where got create jobs for sinkies.

ManOfTheHour: He purposely act blur lah. Only good for playing with balloons

StaLLbeRRies: warehouse jobs. I one of the few sinkie there. drive forlift, arrange goods. nowadys many from china and malaysia can work for less than 1k a month.

One HWZ netizen, slackerz, even posted the following pictures to show the large influx of PMETs from India at Changi Business Park. Singaporean PMETs are naturally unhappy with foreign PMETs competing with them for jobs in Singapore:

Capture3-640x356.jpg

Capture12-640x458.jpg

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is actually no need for any farking help schemes.
Manage the policies properly and the rest of the jigsaw will take care of itself.

It is incredible that he is still so out of touch.

His crap confirms that all of our cabinet ministers are there for the money - it is simply not
believable that none of them have any inclination of what is going on.

melzp

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is not even a praise nor admiration; I am worried for him.

Wonder how to get up from bed in morning to these feedbacks.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Remember, boys and girls, don't be fooled by Pinky trying to twist the narrative into something that's for or against foreigners. :wink:

The problem is regarding numbers.

If you think squeezing more than 5 million people into a 710 sq km city-state is sound governance, you are delusional.

Naturally, there is no new baby boom among Sinkies so where do these additional people come from? :rolleyes:

And these foreigners are cheap, perfect for Pinky's Singapore Inc. Most of them didn't come because of merit. And I doubt any background checks were done. :cool:

original.jpg

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
LOL... what a flip-flopping scumbag, only saying things to placate the electorate once the election draws near. :rolleyes:

lhl5.jpg

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is still remarkable that people are still wasting time on his interview. It is also a full fact that PAP treated their own citizen with disdain and disgust. They even join in the chorus with businesses to rip off Singaporean and abusing them using the words like Daft , No Spurs stuck , unmotivated, lack of creativity.

If PAP still retain their majority, then i think daft Singaporean and PAP deserve each other.

toolanliao

Alfrescian
Loyal
i wonder if these people just woke up or they just lost their jobs to foreigners, it going on for so long already, even before last election.

like someone here said before, why should i go for a haircut with a local barber then let him feel everything is ok and go vote for PAP.

hopeful for this election but i doubt singaporeans will wake up. my area, i am voiceless minority that vote for oppo.

Ralders

Alfrescian
Loyal
LHL is a clown trying to act blur.
To all singaporean let vote this blood sucker out n
save our home .save our singapore.
singapore belong to us.
it not up to u to decide who to come in.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This PAP government is becoming too populist and soft.not too long ago just a few years back,the government was going out in full force in joint exercises with the big and small businesses in whacking singaporeans for being lazy,stupid,pampered and mediocre and not having spurs stuck up their heels,and chastising them for wanting bumiputera policies for singapore,blow after blow,insult after insult,sinkies took it up the ass like a manny pacqaio dropping like a sack after taking a solid hook in the face and dropping on his face like he didnt know what was coming.

Last edited:

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Between 2006 and 2013/14, the foreign PMET numbers at least doubled (no need to wait for ICA/MOM numbers, just look at your workplace/home). Co-incidentally that was after LKY hailed the beginning of Sinkieland's "golden period" and upped the pay for all

Turns out Old man's "Golden period" was just about increasing rental income via FT policy. The Pap had sold out Singaporeans to increase GDP (and ministerial pay).

Now sinkies and Kpkb all they want.. Pap is sitting happily on a heap of gold.

sirus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is not even a praise nor admiration; I am worried for him.

Wonder how to get up from bed in morning to these feedbacks.

Are one sad individual that feeling grateful, if someone slapped you and say sorry?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Life is inherently full of uncertainties. It is what pushes the human race forward.

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is still remarkable that people are still wasting time on his interview. It is also a full fact that PAP treated their own citizen with disdain and disgust. They even join in the chorus with businesses to rip off Singaporean and abusing them using the words like Daft , No Spurs stuck , unmotivated, lack of creativity.

If PAP still retain their majority, then i think daft Singaporean and PAP deserve each other.

It is important that we do not stop watching the interview because we don't like the PAP etc.
Anyone watching it will double confirm that our PM is not the PM that his own Shitty Times have painted him to be.
Undoubtedly, the questions were given before hand - his mannerisms/body language gave the game away.
He was like one excited school boy waiting to answer the test questions because he knew the questions before hand.
Also too glib. After one mili-second when the question was completed, he responded immediately...."I can think of
two reasons to counter that..........." Even his dad had to ponder (or at least pretend to ponder) a question before
answering.

Leckmichamarsch

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lee Hsien Loong can admit anything that he fancy to get more votes.
Just like this student Dr Koh Poh Koon who admited that he has 2 father, punggol and amk.

by stealing 246k jobs from PMEs n giving them to F Trashes, most of them with fake degrees, he must answer for the treasonous actions
hang him by the balls
why ignore the problems he caused with the CECA he signed........... how much money he got in return??? How many families suffered as a result??????? How are sgian troddened by F Trashes incl Peenoys