• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why Are There So Many Poor Elderly People In Singapore?

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal
[h=1]Why Are There So Many Poor Elderly People In Singapore?[/h]

I was pretty disappointed to read Mr. Tan Chua Jin’s latest Facebook post on elderly people who work as cardboard collectors.

The normal perception that all cardboard collectors are people who are unable to take care of themselves financially is not really true. There will be some who do this as their main source of income. Some do so to supplement what they have. Some prefer to earn extra monies, treat it as a form of exercise and activity rather than being cooped up at home.​

The word that irked me the most in his status update was "some". The reality is that MOST cardboard collectors do it for the money not "some". The usage of the word “some” made it seem like he was trivializing the circumstances of the poor elderly.

It is indisputable fact that a HUGE PROPORTION of elderly Singaporeans here are poor. Senior citizens working as cleaners, security guards, collecting cardboards, begging for money has become such a common sight.

Studies have shown that one in five senior citizens in Singapore do not have sufficient income for a living.

The Singapore Government’s inability to help our elderly people age with dignity has also been criticized by Dr Alexandre Kalache who spent 15 years crafting ageing policies at the WHO.

“I am all for active ageing, but if you have never had a decent job, don’t know what job satisfaction is, to make you work till you practically drop dead is not human,” he said.

He pointed out that unlike Singapore, much of the developed world already had "non-contributory pensions" for low-income older folk, saving them the indignity of hard labour at a time in life when many may want to retire and rest.

Why did the elderly who collect cardboard claim they were doing it for fun or exercise then?According to NUS Sociologist Daniel Goh, there could be more than one reason why a person does it.

Many seniors are likely collecting cardboards because they want some exercise, desire independence AND so they can survive. That seniors collect cardboards because they seek exercise does not mean that they are not driven to it by poverty.

Another bigger reason was the need for "Face" and dignity. The Singapore culture treats begging as humiliating and values independence and hard work. As Goh explains "Few Singaporeans would be okay with seeing themselves as poor. So when they come face to face with the young people taking a strange sympathetic interest in them, what more would they say if they were to keep their sense of dignity?"

This idea is supported by Mohd Nafiz Kamarudin, one of the founders of Happy People Helping People Foundation, who has befriended and assisted cardboard box collectors living in Toa Payoh since 2013.

“Many of these cardboard box collectors don’t want to admit they are in difficulty...They prefer to collect the boxes and sell themrather than ask for financial assistance,”.

What factors then contribute to the pathetic state of many elderly people in Singapore today? Here are some of my insights:

[h=3]1. Poor policies and lack of foresight[/h]Singapore has developed rapidly to become one of the world’s most prosperous countries over the past few decades.

However the indicators mean nothing as only a small proportion of people are enjoying this wealth. Our income inequality is one of the highest globally. Most people can’t afford a car due to high COE prices and have no option except for the public transportation which is rapidly declining in standards due to it’s inability to cope with overwhelming number of riders.

The elderly is one of the key groups which have been left out in this process. The government has failed to take into consideration factors like…

1. Longer life span of the elderly
  2. The savings from their many years of labour depreciating every single year as they age
  3. Their lower education level as many of them were born in the early days of Singapore where they did not get much access to formal education
In contrast to how our other developed counterparts are supporting their elderly, Singapore is doing little. In our country, the elderly merely get GST bonuses on certain 'special periods' and those who are medically unfit to work and who have no assets receive a monthly allowance from the Government, currently pegged at $450 per month.

Of course recently there was also the Pioneer Generation package which was introduced in 2014. It is a little late but a good thing nonetheless. Before their election scare in mid-2011, I felt the ruling party didn't give a hoot about the poor elderly people. So after their series of welfare measures since then, I truly believe a multiparty system is a good one for Singapore to keep the dominant one in touch with ground sentiments.

Neglecting these factors and not providing enough assistance to the elderly have caused them to be left out and unable to reap the rewards of progress even though they were the ones who worked the hardest for it and helped built Singapore to the economically successful country we are today.

Many also perceive elderly poverty as PAP breaking a central promise it had made to them: "that in return for being obliged to save a large part of their earnings, they would enjoy a carefree retirement".

Thus, I often shudder when others callously proclaim that poor people in Singapore deserve what they got since we're a meritocratic country because clearly, these senior citizens do not.

Besides the elderly, lower and middle income families in Singapore who make up the majority of our population are facing obstacles too. They not only struggle to cope with high cost of living and raising children but also support their elderly parent.

[h=3]2. Language Barriers which isolate the elderly from economic opportunities and society[/h]Our language policy of eliminating other Chinese languages outside of Mandarin has marginalized the senior citizens economically in Singapore as many of them are only able to speak Hokkien; Teochew; Cantonese etc.

How does this isolate them?

Many are unable to work in the service industry such as receptionists or customer service. Thus, their only options are manual labour which does not involve interaction with others such as picking up scrap cans or cardboards; cleaning tables etc.

The lack of language skills also affects their social mobility. They are unable to pick up skills to upgrade themselves. Sure, there are plenty of English and Mandarin courses in Singapore. But, how many of them actually cater to people whose only languages are Hokkien or Cantonese? Even if there were lessons available, poor people would rather spend time earning money than on these things.

In other words, the economic situation of many elderly citizens in Singapore are as terrible as migrants from Africa or Middle East who can’t speak a word of English in the UK.

Not only are they isolated from economic opportunities, they are isolated in their own families. It is only in Singapore where grand children cannot even communicate with their own grandparents.

[h=3]3. Warped idea of Confucianism and lack of appreciation towards the elderly[/h]Singapore claims to embody traditional Asian values and Confucian values in our governance and society. The sad irony is that many of the elderly in our country are living in miserable circumstances.

Despite working so hard to build Singapore to the economic success we have today, there is little appreciation for these poor senior citizens. Instead of enjoying retirement, many of them have to pick up scraps from the street and clean up after others. Only one person is credited for all the success we have today and placed on a pedestal.

Why are strong Confucian and Asian values like utmost respect for the elderly and reciprocation left out in the process? My take is that the Singapore government only adopts and modifies Asian values where convenient for them such as suppressing freedom of the press and having a single party authoritarian government.

I don't have solutions to this problem but ultimately, as a citizen, I no longer wish to see all the whole wayang "it's sg50! Let us celebrate the pioneer generation!" campaign or one-off distribution of GST vouchers to win favour.

What I hope to see is first recognition that elderly poverty is a key issue that we have to tackle.

Followed by more long term initiatives beyond the Pioneer Generation Package which can deliver practical help to the elderly and ensure that these people who contributed to Singapore's economic success are rewarded.

Similarly as citizens, I hope that every one of us can do our part to treat our elderly people in our society with care. Simple things like donating to them; chatting to them; greeting them good morning and of course, speaking up for them when they have no means to.

How do you think this problem can be resolved? Share your thoughts below!

Singapore may be one of the richest countries globally but only a small percentage is able to enjoy her success. One key...
Posted by Jeraldine Phneah on Friday, July 17, 2015

If you like this post, you may also enjoy my recent one on Why MNCs in Singapore Prefer Expats To Localswhich discusses why Singaporeans lose out to expats in our careers and how we can improve.

[h=4]Love this post? Let's stay in touch![/h]I write regularly on issues of interest to Generation Y such as strategy, dating advice, career, personal development, lifestyle and commentaries on social issues. To find out more about me, check out my profilehere. If you would like to stay updated on my life and entries, do follow me on Facebook and Instagram.

http://www.jeraldinephneah.me/2015/07/singapore-elderly-population-poor.html?m=1

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That is why the Soylent Green Option needs to be implemented ASAP so their suffering can end and they can move on with dignity,,,,,

[video=youtube;yOV8mBjHHYg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOV8mBjHHYg[/video]

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Was at a friend's workshop in Corporation Road met one of his bangla workers who's been working for him for 5-6 years, nice fella, friend and I talking about old folks in Singapore having to work to survive, bangla worker jokingly interrupted and said "yes why Singapore old folks must come and compete for work with us foreign workers?". That sort of hurt a little but then truths hurt don't they?

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was at a friend's workshop in Corporation Road met one of his bangla workers who's been working for him for 5-6 years, nice fella, friend and I talking about old folks in Singapore having to work to survive, bangla worker jokingly interrupted and said "yes why Singapore old folks must come and compete for work with us foreign workers?". That sort of hurt a little but then truths hurt don't they?

Our old folks work to pass time and also to keep fit, many dont realise that there is no poor in Singapore. Those that are really poor choose to be poor, same as tos homeless in Sinkieland.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
My foreign friend came to sg a few times , and one day she finally told me "so old still need to work by cleaning tables (she finally realized that sinkies are poor when old)".

After reading the wayang minister comments, now I wonder why it never cross my friend's mind that these hunched and skinny old folks who could barely stand straight are in fact happily "exercising":o

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal
If his mother wants to do cardboard collecting from dustbins and unsanitary locations everyday for exercise, will he approve:confused:

Vat fuck brain for a minister:confused:

Vote this wayang out!!!!

11709881_856728681047115_2891645558339182534_o.jpg

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal

direct consequences of carrying too heavy a burden imposed by govt so that the papigs can enjoy super doper luxuries in life!!
PeeM shud limit his pay n bonuses to 24 times that of Mc Donalds toilet cleaner's comp & ben

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That is why the Soylent Green Option needs to be implemented ASAP so their suffering can end and they can move on with dignity,,,,,

[video=youtube;yOV8mBjHHYg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOV8mBjHHYg[/video]

PAP is not interested in feeding the hungry masses. If you are hungry & have $, you are expected to pay, because nothing is free in Spore.

When you kick the bucket, the PAP will want to steal your body parts via the HOTA law & expect the family to pay for the cremation costs :eek:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Old people in Sinkieland sure love to exercise. :wink:

I was at Chinatown yesterday and I saw a hunchback old woman participating in the competitive sport of 'stick your hand into a garbage bin and reach for treasure'. She was clearly enjoying herself, oblivious to her surroundings, a satisfied, almost orgasmic look on her wrinkly face. :biggrin:

Senior-SG50-Featured.png

"Stay Active. Live Well."

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Stalin once said,one man's death is a tragedy,a million deaths is a statistic.

One in five elderly do not have sufficient income for a living is just a statistic and there are no poor people in singapore.

We need to implement the soylent green option fast.

Last edited:

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not poor. Is frugal. Young people these days just spend spend spend. PAP help you save money by keeping it safe for you in cpf and buy hdb so you can no need to rent save even more.

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Deja vu! The super talented White Scums' policies will lead to a revolution if only Sinkies are up to it!

[video=youtube;p-K8fyAmhKE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-K8fyAmhKE&list=PLNrHAF--4v2VAcny0bSGo7X0mw1tTVJu5&index=124[/video]

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Our old folks work to pass time and also to keep fit, many dont realise that there is no poor in Singapore. Those that are really poor choose to be poor, same as tos homeless in Sinkieland.

They do it also to keep fit.
If you don't believe me, ask the minister Mr Naive Tan Chuan Jin.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
My foreign friend came to sg a few times , and one day she finally told me "so old still need to work by cleaning tables (she finally realized that sinkies are poor when old)".

After reading the wayang minister comments, now I wonder why it never cross my friend's mind that these hunched and skinny old folks who could barely stand straight are in fact happily "exercising":o

according to wicked lim, it is a privilege to be poor and collecting cardboard when old.

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fact No. 1

Once you have poor parents, live in HDBs or whatever other Bs, you will end up neithier rich but could be poorer.

Fact No. 2

Most ppl thought that once they secured a good education, they are going to have a 'good life' ahead. But it is choices ppl make in the rest of their life that make them poor not having good education that will make them RICH.

Fact No. 3

Even if you have hated the very group of ppl who made you rich, you would be poor anyway if you have like them and they did not like you. ( Definitely applies to cronies)

Fact No. 4.

Ppl always think life will be better ahead for them when they are young. But life numbers are.seldom wrong. Once you are born in a rut, the chances of you staying around the area of the rut is 95%