• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

★ Serie A Season 2015-16 ★

Palermo

Alfrescian
Loyal

NbvI0mi.png

moF4feo.jpg

ACMILAN

Alfrescian
Loyal

AC Milan boss Mihajlovic targets top-three finish

sinisa-mihajlovic-real-madrid-ac-milan-30072015_103a3ogk8697t1iqzrk9onzgta.jpg

By Peter McVitie
Aug 1, 2015 11:31:19

The new head coach believes the club have built a strong side heading into the new campaign and is confident of qualifying for the Champions League

Sinisa Mihajlovic believes his AC Milan team will be capable of a top-three finish in Serie A this season with the addition of one or two new players.

After last term's 10th-placed finish in the Italian top flight under Filippo Inzaghi, the Rossoneri are looking to bounce back and have added significantly to the squad this summer, with Carlos Bacca, Luiz Adriano and Andrea Bertolacci all coming in.

Mihajlovic is happy with how things are shaping up at the San Siro outfit so far and believes they will improve on last season's finish by a big margin.

"The signs are positive because we are working well," he told La Gazzetta dello Sport. "We started from scratch by changing a lot of players and the playing system.

"We are putting the pieces in the right places both in terms of the concepts of the game and with the players' behaviour. We have taken the perfect road perfect and we will be ready when we start playing the games that count.

"Getting into the top three is the target. With the team we have, if we can get one or two players in then we can make that leap."

The former Sampdoria boss insists he does not feel any extra pressure this season, despite the high expectations.

"I feel more empowered and more capable of getting the best out of myself," said the head coach. "I'm not afraid to take risks and face big challenges: I live to face and overcome them.

"In each situation the players need to know what to do. I never get angry for conceding a goal, but I get angry a lot if they do not do what we have planned.

"When they take the field, 80 per cent of the time they already know what to do, the remaining 20% ​​is about adapting to the opponent. In times of difficulty we must not lose our heads, but follow our principles. We have to be organised and know what we want."

Palermo

Alfrescian
Loyal

De Rossi: Roma were too cocky last season

daniele-de-rossi-roma_1olethmnjgu1m1839xn5g0ub3e.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Jul 31, 2015 22:19:34

The Italian has admitted the Giallorossi were guilty of overconfidence going into their demoralising 7-1 loss to Bayern Munich last October

Daniele De Rossi says that Roma paid the price for being "too cocky" in last season's Champions League and is hoping that the lessons learned will help them progress this term.

The Giallorossi kicked off their European campaign with a 5-1 rout of CSKA Moscow and an arguably even more impressive 1-1 draw at the home of then Premier League titleholders Manchester City.

However, Rudi Garcia's men were then humiliated 7-1 in front of their own fans by Bayern Munich, and never really recovered as they bowed out of the competition at the group stage.

Roma's mental fragility was also exposed during the second half of the Serie A season as they went from challenging Juventus for the title to battling it out with Lazio for third place, but De Rossi insists they are now stronger from the experience.

"I attended the press conference before the Bayern Munich match and I was optimistic," the midfielder told Sky Sport on Friday.

"After that game, we all agreed that we had played too open in the match at the Olimpico. We were too cocky and we said we'd play differently in the reverse fixture.

"That experience can help us going forward and perhaps this season we'll be able to cause problems for teams of that level."

De Rossi accepts Juventus - despite losing some key players this summer, including Carlos Tevez, Arturo Vidal and Andrea Pirlo - will once again start the Serie A season as favourites but believes Serie A will be more competitive in 2015-16.

"Juventus seemed weaker last season in terms of their squad and for many - myself not included - the coach," he said, alluding to the departure of former Bianconeri boss Antonio Conte.

"Then, they enjoyed a better season than in previous years, winning a fourth straight Scudetto and making the Champions League final. When a team achieves results like these, they rightly start as favourites.

49D69329A936B5421954649C0A00796E.jpg

"Similarly, a side that finishes runners-up two seasons in a row are naturally considered the chief challengers.

"The two Milan clubs, AC and Inter, have strengthened a great deal and Lazio will also be a threat again.

"As for Napoli, I'm a fan of coach Maurizio Sarri. He's joined from a small club but he's never done a bad job throughout his career and has never betrayed his philosophy.

"At Empoli last season he made life difficult for much stronger teams.

"Let's see how he does this season with players who, on paper, are better than the ones he coached last year."

Roma have been relatively quiet this summer, though Mohamed Salah is expected to join the capital club on loan from Chelsea imminently, while Iago Falque - so impressive at Genoa last season - has also been acquired.

"The team is pretty much the same as last year's," De Rossi added. "The club is signing players to fill a specific need.

"When you finish second two seasons in a row, it shows you don't need to make wholesale changes and the fact we haven't changed too much is a positive.

"We have a strong side, our key players have stayed at the club and this will also help us to push on, as we already know each other and therefore have a greater understanding."

Mancini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Staying put? Pogba vows to fill Vidal void at Juventus

paul-pogba-juventus_l317vmdjr6bc17aigfzuswkk3.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Jul 31, 2015 12:33:17

The 22-year-old Frenchman is brimming with confidence ahead of the new season and is confident Juventus can maintain the Scudetto

Paul Pogba is confident that he has what it takes to take Arturo Vidal's role at Juventus and be the club's highest-scoring midfielder this season.

The Chile international left the Serie A champions for Bayern Munich this month, but Pogba has ensured the club's fans they have nothing to worry about.

Vidal netted 35 goals in four seasons in Serie A, hitting eight in all competitions last season, while Pogba has scored 20 times in three years in the Italian top flight.

"I am happy to play wherever the coach needs me. I feel really good playing as an attacking midfielder behind two strikers. We'll see what happens. It's a role I enjoy," Pogba told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

"I think I can be [our most prolific midfielder]. I hope it will happen, both for myself and for Juventus.

"Two great midfielders have left, but I have learned a lot from them. It's now up to me to show that I have grown. "

Aside from Vidal, Juventus also lost Andrea Pirlo and Carlos Tevez, but Pogba remains optimistic about his side's chances in the new season.

"We have lost some important players, but we have also brought in some experienced players. We are Juventus and we must always do well.

"I think we can win a fifth title in a row if we really want it. It all depends on ourselves. It will be even more difficult than before and that's why we have to be fully focused."

Gomez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Besiktas in negotiations over Gomez switch

29 July 2015 16:46

885074header.jpg

Super Lig side Besiktas have confirmed they are in negotiations with Fiorentina over a move for striker Mario Gomez.

The former Germany international has been heavily linked with a move to the Turkish giants in recent weeks, having spent the last two seasons at the Stadio Artemio Franchi.

Gomez has scored 14 goals in 47 appearances for the Serie A club - despite missed large chunks of his first season in Florence due to a knee problem.

The Turkish club confirmed in a statement on Wednesday that they had "started negotiations with Fiorentina regarding the player's transfer".

Ahead of Senol Gunes' first season in charge, Gomez would likely serve as a replacement for striker Demba Ba, who signed for Shanghai Shenhua last month.

Inler

Alfrescian
Loyal

Napoli not interested in selling Higuain - De Laurentiis

30 July 2015 12:54

885502header.jpg

Aurelio De Laurentiis has insisted he never considered selling Napoli striker Gonzalo Higuain despite reports linking him with a move to the Premier League.

Higuain has flourished at San Paolo since arriving from Real Madrid in 2013, scoring 53 goals in all competitions, leading to speculation that the likes of Manchester City and Arsenal want to sign him.

But Napoli president De Laurentiis told Corriere della Sera: "I never, ever considered selling Higuain.

"It wasn't by chance that I put a very high clause in his contract, which makes it difficult to sustain for any buyer.

"I expect that he's respectful of the commitment and work of the team."

ACMILAN

Alfrescian
Loyal

Taechaubol completes AC Milan deal

bee-taechaubol_1sm53bdet4gj13eb189p3i1pj.jpg

By Peter McVitie
Aug 2, 2015 16:40:05

The Thai businessman signed a contract on Sunday which sees him acquire 48 per cent of the club from Silvio Berlusconi

Bee Taechaubol has confirmed that he has bought 48 per cent of AC Milan from Silvio Berlusconi.

The Thai businessman had been looking to buy a large stake in the Serie A club for months and announced the agreement on Sunday.

Taechaubol has reportedly paid €485 million for his share and promises to build a club that will return to winning silverware soon.

"A great honor to complete the AC Mlian agreement with president Berlusconi, a phenomenal leader," he wrote on Instagram.

SmcWA7S.jpg

A photo posted by Bee Taechaubol (@bee.taechaubol) on Aug 2, 2015 at 7:24am PDT

The 39-year-old then spoke to Mediaset: “You’ll see me at San Siro often as a fan with president Berlusconi. So that we can win together, naturally.

“We signed an agreement that will allow our investors to start working for the club very soon.

"We are in agreement, we want to help Milan grow even more all over the world.”

Mancini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Szczesny: Bad result marred Roma debut

wojciech-szczesny-arenal_etom07gqzhwg1smd51dzq8him.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Aug 2, 2015 11:16:07

The goalkeeper says the Giallorossi's players must up their game after losing 2-0 at Sporting Lisbon but he has already been won over by coach Rudi Garcia

New signing Wojciech Szczesny was pleased to have made his Roma debut in Saturday's 2-0 friendly loss to Sporting Lisbon but promptly called on his team-mates to set a higher standard for themselves after a "really bad" result.

The Poland international only arrived at the Stadio Olimpico on loan from Arsenal on Wednesday but he was introduced as a second-half substitute in the game at the Estadio Jose Alvalade.

“It’s good to have my first game under the belt," Szczesny told his new club's official website. "It was a good experience and I have had a really good week of training with the boys; there is a fantastic group of players here.

"But, obviously, we must set the standard higher for ourselves because when you play for a big club there are no friendly games and you have to win.

"So, the result is really bad."

However, Szczesny is no doubt that Roma are set for a successful season, with head coach Rudi Garcia already having made a huge impression on him.

“He is a great coach," the 25-year-old stated. "I have only trained with him for a week but he is a good guy with a great personality.

"He takes charge of the group – he is a leader."

DFD234A9DB3009EB6F3ED22FB9186100.jpg

Szczesny also argued that once he breaks down the language barrier, his organisation of the Roma defence will improve no end.

"I'm trying to learn Italian," the shot stopper added. "I have had a week of lessons every day and I'm making progress.

"I try to speak with the [defenders] obviously. Some of the guys speak good English too. So, if you give us a few weeks, the connection and the understanding between us will be good.”

Of course, Szczesny will have to battle it out with Morgan De Sanctis for a starting berth this term, with Garcia admitting that he deliberately gave the pair 45 minutes apiece against Sporting to show that he does not have a favourite at this point.

“Szczesny has not worked with us much, but I wanted to do two things – show my faith in De Sanctis by playing him from the start and give Szczesny a run-out too.

"We are lucky enough to have two excellent goalkeepers, like all great sides. It’s a very good thing for Roma.

"I think they are equal – there is no No.1 and No.2."

Gomis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Juventus rocked by Khedira injury scare

samikhedira-cropped_gqcdcsdl9uh11j3hh5b08hls6.jpg

By Gareth Morgan
Aug 1, 2015 19:44:00

The former Real Madrid midfielder was forced off in the first half of his side's friendly with Marseille and has been ruled out for the Supercoppa

Serie A champions Juventus suffered a potentially serious blow when Sami Khedira was carried off on a stretcher in the first half of their pre-season friendly clash with Marseille on Saturday.

The club's medical staff appeared greatly concerned by the condition of the German international, who slumped to the ground clutching his hamstring.

After a lengthy hold-up, the 28-year-old was taken from the field and replaced by former Genoa man Stefano Sturaro.

"It's a shame for Khedira, who unfortunately had been inactive for a while and therefore paid for it with an injury. He was doing well, so we have lost an important player," head coach Massimiliano Allegri said after the match.

"Khedira certainly won’t be there for the Supercoppa."

It is the second time the midfielder has been hit by a muscle injury since arriving from Real Madrid in June.

Khedira's injury scare will be a major concern, with the start of the Serie A season just three weeks away and the Turin side due to travel to China next week to face Lazio in the Supercoppa.

Gomez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Keita warns Juventus: Roma can still improve

seydou-keita-roma_dvek4frv970e1g15v3fsn9478.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Aug 1, 2015 16:49:24

The Giallorossi limped home 17 points behind the Serie A champions last term but the midfielder says that there is more to come from Rudi Garcia's men

Seydou Keita has warned Juventus that Roma are capable of mounting a sustained Scudetto challenge this season.

The Giallorossi have finished as runners-up to the Old Lady for the past two years but limped home 17 points behind the Bianconeri last term after enduring a dismal second half to the season.

However, Keita says that Roma remain undeterred in their bid to break Juve's stranglehold on Serie A, arguing that Rudi Garcia's men have not yet realised their full potential.

"It's clear that Juventus remain favourites but we have a team that can do better in respect to last season," the midfielder told the official Barcelona website.

"Last year we had a good campaign. We came second in the league, although I have to say the second half of the season was difficult.

"But we still ended behind only Juventus, who made it to the final of the Champions League, so I think I can say it was a good season."

Keita kick off their Serie A campaign at Verona on August 22 before hosting Juventus at the Stadio Olimpico the following weekend.

Palermo

Alfrescian
Loyal

´This is not my Sampdoria´ - president Ferrero

31 July 2015 04:33

885892header.jpg

Sampdoria president Massimo Ferrero is planning to buy more players after watching his team suffer a humiliating defeat in the third round of UEFA Europa League qualifying on Thursday.

Playing in the tournament after city and Serie A rivals Genoa withdrew their UEFA license appeal regarding the shared Stadio Luigi Ferraris not being up to standard, Sampdoria lost their 'home' leg at Turin's Stadio Olimpico 4-0 to Serbian visitors Vojvodina.

New coach Walter Zenga, who succeeded Sinisa Mihajlovic, and players were subjected to abuse post-match, such was the manner of the performance.

Ferrero apologised to the club's fans afterwards and promised to reinforce the squad, having failed to do so despite being linked with moves for Mario Balotelli and Antonio Cassano.

"I can only say that I thank our fans, who as always were marvellous," Ferrero said via the club's official website.

"We deservedly lost and I can only apologise. This was a game that we got completely wrong. The emotions around summer matches can trip you up and this was a genuine blackout.

"This is not my Samp, it is not the strong team that we built and intend to reinforce.

"Perhaps it was written in the stars that we would not go into the Europa League. In any case, we have a second game to play and in football you must never say never.

"I am sure this team is strong. We will make more buys, but they cannot play in the return leg. I repeat, the fans were the only winners, once again they were generous and extraordinary."

Palermo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Confirmed: Khedira out injured for two months

1696252_heroa.jpg

By Miles Chambers
Aug 3, 2015 12:45:00

The Juventus midfielder picked up a thigh problem on Saturday and now may not make his competitive debut for his new club until October

Sami Khedira has been sidelined for two months with a thigh injury, Juventus have confirmed.

The midfielder has struggled with fitness and form for the last couple of seasons, culminating in him leaving Real Madrid for the Scudetto holders on a free transfer this summer after spending much of 2014-15 on the bench.

Khedira suffered the latest blow on Saturday when he was stretchered off in the first half of Juve's 2-0 defeat to Marseille, and Massimiliano Allegri had confirmed the he would at least miss the Supercoppa Italiana on August 8.

However, the Champions League runners-up have now confirmed the injury will see Khedira miss a lot more than just the clash between Juventus and Lazio this coming Saturday, ruling him out of the first seven Serie A matches of 2015-16.

"Sami Khedira will be sidelined for approximately two months after medical examinations revealed a second-grade myotendinous tear of the rectus femoris muscle in his right thigh," the Bianconeri said in a statement on their website on Monday.

"The German midfielder sustained the injury during Saturday's pre-season friendly against Olympique Marseille at the Stade Velodrome."

Reports in Italy have suggested Juventus could try to sign Barcelona's Javier Mascherano as cover in the defensive midfield department, in addition to their search for a new attacking midfielder.

Mancini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Coppa Italia: Cittadella smash 15 past Potenza as Brescia rely on penalties

coppa-italia-23052015_b4ep8x1zyhhm1bee0vngvfbed.jpg

By Alex Fisher
Aug 3, 2015 00:04:30

The Lega Pro side ran riot in the opening round of the tournament as Lecce, Reggiana and Cosenza also triumphed

Cittadella produced a stunning display in the opening round of the Coppa Italia as they thrashed Potenza 15-0 on Sunday.

The Lega Pro side ran riot in their first competitive game of the new season, scoring 10 goals in the second half alone.

Giulio Bizzotto led the scoring charts for Cittadella with two goals in either half, while five other players found the net on two occasions in a rampant display.

Brescia began life as a Lega Pro side with a stuttering performance against Cremonese, the third-tier club - who count Roberto Baggio, Pep Guardiola and Andrea Pirlo as former stars - needing penalties to progress.

After a goalless 120 minutes, Brescia - who were relegated from Serie B last season - eventually prevailed 4-3 in the shootout, Carlo Crialese missing the decisive penalty for Cremonese.

Lecce's clash with Catanzaro also went to spot kicks.

Despite two misses in the shooutout, Lecce - a Serie A side as recently as 2012 - were able to prevail 3-2 as their opponents lost their nerve from 12 yards.

Elsewhere on Sunday there were also first-round victories for Casertana, Ancona, Alessandria, Pavia, Pisa, Reggiana and Spal.

Francesco Nicastro and Alessandro Gatto were on target in Juve Stabia's 2-0 win over Melfi, while Cosenza came from a goal down to beat Ascoli 2-1, and Foggia needed extra-time to beat Lucchese.

Tuttocuoio, Bassano Virtus, L'Aquila, Sudtirol, and FeralpiSalo also enjoyed success in the opening round, the latter romping to a 5-1 win over Fano.

Cavani

Alfrescian
Loyal

Higuain has turned down new Napoli deal, confirms agent

gonzalo-higuain-napoli-fiorentina-serie-a-12042015_1q85nw5uf3vsi1ixuxzou1jucn.jpg

By Joe Wright
Aug 3, 2015 20:44:46

The striker's representative says he will honour his current terms - which expire in 2018 - for now, and revealed no other clubs have been in contact over a move

Gonzalo Higuain has rejected the offer of a new contract with Napoli, according to the striker's agent.

The Argentina international, who moved to the San Paolo in 2013 from Real Madrid, still has three years to run on his current deal but has been linked with a potential summer transfer nonetheless.

Nicolas Higuain, his brother and representative, has now confirmed they have turned down a one-year extension to his contract, though he says there are no current plans to move away from Napoli.

"We had a meeting with the president [Aurelio De Laurentiis] in Venice 10 days ago," he told Radio Crc.

"We talked about everything. He offered a one-year contract extension, but in my opinion - and ours - we will continue with the original contract, expiring in 2018.

EE4484A5826A6910A865F83EC28F222B.jpg

"The contract isn't that different to the one we signed before, so for us it's not a real offer. We are calm and happy to continue with the current conditions.

"At the moment, we have faith that Gonzalo will stay at Napoli, with a team which is 100 per cent focused and can win something.

"It seems strange, but the big clubs have not contacted me, nor have I spoken with anyone."

Higuain endured a disappointing summer as two crucial misses - one in the penalty shootout - cost Argentina in the final of the Copa America in Chile.

But his brother is confident the forward will be ready to challenge for honours in the coming campaign.

20FCA6E5E75F36721FA9295FB77D4734.jpg

"Gonzalo arrived in Dimaro [for pre-season training] in good condition. He's an introverted player, not some snake oil salesman who likes to show off. You won't see him on Twitter taking pictures all day. I have heard he's training well, and that's what's important.

"Everyone dreams of winning something important, but this year it will be even more difficult because of the way teams have strengthened.

"It will be a tough campaign, when the first ball is kicked we [Napoli] will try to show our worth."

Podolski

Alfrescian
Loyal

Miranda: Inter must return to Champions League

miranda-cropped_nvjtplzcqbe01dk5eyws1fky0.jpg

Alex Fisher
Aug 4, 2015 12:57:28

The defender has outlined the club's primary target for the season after Roberto Mancini's side finished eighth last term

Brazil defender Miranda says Inter must return to the Champions League this season.

The defender joined the club from Atletico Madrid in early July and is one of seven new arrivals at San Siro this summer.

Inter finished eighth and 32 points adrift of champions Juventus in 2014-15, but Miranda insists he had no hesitation in joining the club, regardless of their recent struggles.

"Coming to Inter was an easy decision to make because this is a great club - [that is] motivation enough for anyone," he said.

"Roberto Mancini was a major factor in my decision to come here. He's a top coach.

"I've been brought in to help tighten up at the back and I'll put everything I have into it.

"It's a new-look defence and it will take a while to get used to playing together. Communication is key. My fellow defenders have all got different attributes but the ones I've seen so far are good.

"Getting into the Champions League is our first target. If we can do even better than that, great.

"Let's think positive. It's still pre-season and conceding goals now is not a problem. We need to work."

Miranda also backed fellow Brazilian Felipe Melo to make a big impact at San Siro if he joins from Galatasaray.

"Felipe Melo is an excellent player. We've played together before, he will be a great addition if he joins us."

Palermo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ferrero defends Samp boss Zenga

4 August 2015 03:48

887890header.jpg

Sampdoria president Massimo Ferrero threw his support behind embattled coach Walter Zenga and urged patience.

Zenga oversaw an embarrassing 4-0 defeat to Vojvodina in the first leg of Sampdoria's third round UEFA Europa League qualifier last week - the Italian's first match in charge since replacing Sinisa Mihajlovic.

Sampdoria's players and staff were subjected to abuse by their own fans following the full-time whistle, and Zenga approached the disgruntled supporters in an attempt to shoulder the blame.

However, Ferrero took to Twitter on Monday to defend the 55-year-old.

"If you love Samp like I do, leave Zenga alone!" Ferrero posted ahead of Thursday's return leg in Serbia.

"If that game had gone differently, what would we be talking about now? Woe betide anyone who attacks my lads!"

Ferrero's tweet comes after he promised to buy more players in the wake of Sampdoria's humiliation.

"We deservedly lost and I can only apologise. This is not my Samp, it is not the strong team that we built and intend to reinforce," the 63-year-old said last week.

"Perhaps it was written in the stars that we would not go into the Europa League. In any case, we have a second game to play and in football you must never say never.

"I am sure this team is strong. We will make more buys, but they cannot play in the return leg. I repeat, the fans were the only winners, once again they were generous and extraordinary."

Mancini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Inter defender Vidic undergoes surgery

nemanja-vidic_1czagy6tez6uq1t9v0imvgtl2z.jpg

By Tom Doyle
Aug 5, 2015 11:13:58

The former Manchester United centre-back has had a successful operation on a slipped disc, but could reportedly be out for between three to six months

Inter centre-back Nemanja Vidic has undergone surgery for a slipped disc, and could reportedly be out for three to six months.

Vidic, 33, joined the Nerazzurri after his Manchester United contract expired in 2014 having won five Premier League titles and the Champions League at Old Trafford.

The former Serbia international underwent surgery in Pavia on Wednesday morning, with Sky and Corriere dello Sport previously reporting that the centre-back could be out for the rest of 2015 as a result.

A statement from Inter's official Twitter account on Wednesday read: "Nemanja Vidic underwent successful surgery for a slipped disc today. The operation was performed by professors Fornari and Volpi."

Vidic had been linked with an exit from the San Siro this summer with Everton making an enquiry in July, but his agent Silvano Martina told Italian website Tuttomercatoweb.com that the player will first regain his fitness before considering his future.

"Vidic has a strong physique and will recover quickly," Martina said. "I haven’t heard from anyone and quite frankly I wouldn’t know what to say. He has another two years on his contract, so first he’ll get fit again and then we’ll see.

"Inter have certainly always had the utmost respect for the player. When the time comes, we’ll discuss the future. The important thing now is to heal. I think he’s a great football player and still has many years ahead of him."

Doumbia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Morata ruled out for a month

alvaro-morata-juventus_1vl0o1opp9jb91e3luzephwr1x.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Aug 5, 2015 12:19:29

The Spain international will miss the start of the Serie A season after tearing a calf muscle in training ahead of the Supercoppa Italiana

Juventus have been rocked by the news that striker Alvaro Morata has been ruled out of action for a month through injury.

The Spain international had been set to start Saturday's Supercoppa Italiana clash with Lazio in China but tore a calf muscle in training on Tuesday.

Consequently, Morata will now miss Juve's Serie A opener against Udinese on August 23, as well as the trip to the Stadio Olimpico the following weekend to take on Scudetto rivals Roma.

"Alvaro Morata will be sidelined for up to 30 days after suffering a torn soleus muscle in his left calf," read a statement released on Juve's official website.

"Having departed the work-out early, the striker underwent tests today in Shanghai to reveal the full extent of the damage."

Morata's injury represents another major blow for Juventus, who saw summer signing Sami Khedira ruled out for two months with a hamstring problem after pulling up in Saturday's friendly against Marseille.

However, although the Italian champions lost Carlos Tevez to Boca Juniors this summer, they have strengthened their attack with the additions of Mario Mandzukic, Paulo Dybala and Simone Zaza.

Mancini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pirlo, Vidal & Tevez losses may cause Juventus problems - Buffon

gianluigibuffon-cropped_1d4vp9s05zxp51xblupckkyc1t.jpg

By Dejan Kalinic
Aug 7, 2015 07:47:40

The goalkeeper fears the departures of three of the club's biggest names could see the Serie A champions struggle in the early months of the season

Juventus captain Gianluigi Buffon admits his team may have "some problems" after the departures of several big names in the close-season.

Andrea Pirlo, Carlos Tevez and Arturo Vidal all left the Serie A and Coppa Italia champions this summer, while Sami Khedira has arrived from Real Madrid and Mario Mandzukic from Atletico as two of several additions.

Speaking ahead of Saturday's Supercoppa Italiana against Lazio, goalkeeper and veteran Buffon said the season could be tricky for Juve.

"We have changed at least half of our team's core structure through a process of renovation and rejuvenation," he said.

"It is not an excuse for us but we cannot deny that we can have some problems because of this."

Buffon believes Juve can still perform at a level similar to last season, when they claimed the league title by 17 points, though it may take time for new signings to adapt to the team.

"Players who left were part of the football elite, they were considered giants in this sport for what they have achieved in the past 10 years," Buffon said.

"They have shown it and also managed their career in the best way.

"I do not think our process of technical renovation will create a big gap compared to last year.

"We brought in very strong players within a long-term perspective. However, these players will have to get to know each other and this will take some time."