• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

★ La Liga Season 2015-16 ★

Torres

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bilbao striker Williams suffers hamstring injury

21 August 2015 01:00

896607header.jpg

There was injury added to insult for Athletic Bilbao, with promising striker Inaki Williams injuring his right hamstring in their UEFA Europa League outing.

Bilbao were 3-2 losers to Zilina in the first leg of their play-off, the Supercopa de Espana champions making nine changes to the starting XI that drew 1-1 with Barcelona at Camp Nou to end their trophy drought.

Preparing for their hosting of champions Barca in La Liga on Sunday, Bilbao coach Ernesto Valverde will be without Williams - who was withdrawn just eight minutes after coming on as a second-half substitute in Zilina.

Williams was withdrawn moments before Bilbao conceded an equaliser, before Zilina claimed the lead in the two-leg tie with a 94th-minute winner.

A Bilbao statement revealed the 21-year-old, who scored against Barcelona in the Copa del Rey final in May, was undergoing tests to determine the extent of the injury.

Torres

Alfrescian
Loyal

Valencia chasing Otamendi cover

22 August 2015 05:55

897173header.jpg

Valencia coach Nuno hailed the departed Nicolas Otamendi, and said he was still chasing a replacement for the new Manchester City centre-back.

Otamendi's City move was secured on Thursday, and while central defender Eliaquim Mangala was ruled out of a loan move from City to Valencia by Manuel Pellegrini, Nuno was still hopeful of bringing in cover.

Valencia are preparing for their La Liga opener away at Rayo Vallecano, just days after winning the first leg of a UEFA Champions League play-off against Monaco 3-1.

"We have the feeling that we need one more centre-back," said Nuno, who played Shkodran Mustafi and Ruben Vezo as his central pairing against Monaco.

"But we still have a few days, and the important thing is that for tomorrow and next Tuesday we have two great centre-backs, a quality defence and we are confident in that sense.

"Mustafi and Vezo's great performances against Monaco guarantee us that tomorrow they can do the same."

Otamendi made 35 league appearances for Valencia, the defender scoring six La Liga goals, and Nuno wished the Argentine well in the Premier League.

"I read Nico's statement. From this club we wish him all the best and a lot of success in this new stage," Nuno said.

"I have a great admiration for him because while he was here he always gave the maximum as a professional."

Valencia's trip to the Campo de Futbol de Vallecas holds no fears for Nuno's men.

Valencia have lost just once on the road at Rayo since the latter's promotion for the 2011-12 La Liga season, winning three times twice there - plus a Copa del Rey triumph in December.

"Vallecas is a difficult ground," Nuno added.

"Rayo is a team very well managed, organised team and always difficult to beat. But we are motivated to go there and compete."

RealMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pepe signs Real contract extension

21 August 2015 14:32

896838header.jpg

Real Madrid defender Pepe has signed a contract extension to keep him at the club until 2017.

The Portugal international's contract at the Santiago Bernabeu had been due to expire at the end of the season.

Premier League sides Manchester United, Manchester City and Chelsea had previously been linked with Pepe.

However, he has now become the second Real defender to committ his future to the club this week after Sergio Ramos signed a new five-year deal with the club on Monday.

Pepe joined Real from Porto in 2007 and has won La Liga and the Copa del Rey twice as well as tasting success in the UEFA Champions League League, UEFA Super Cup and FIFA Club World Cup.

The centre-back has been struggling with a thigh injury and it remains to be seen whether he will be able to play in Real's La Liga opener against Sporting Gijon on Sunday.

Simeone

Alfrescian
Loyal

New-look Atletico won´t forget values - Simeone

22 August 2015 04:12

897158header.jpg

Diego Simeone insists La Liga contenders Atletico Madrid will not sway from their style of play, despite an influx of off-season recruits.

Atletico have been active in the transfer market, signing Jackson Martinez, Luciano Vietto, Yannick Ferreira Carrasco, Filipe Luis and Stefan Savic for a combined total believed to be in the region of €126million.

The 2015-16 squad assembled by Simeone is regarded as arguably Atletico's best ever, with the Madrid club set to adopt a more offensive approach in their bid to dethrone reigning champions Barcelona.

However, Atletico will not neglect their trademark values, based on discipline, commitment and compactness on the pitch.

"Reading the squad list you can see some important names, a lot of young players like Vietto, Oliver [Torres], Carrasco or Koke, [Antoine] Griezmann although they're already regulars, but that's important," Simeone said ahead of Saturday's La Liga opener at home to promoted Las Palmas.

"We want to do everything we can not to lose the essence of the team and be up for what each game asks of us.

"There is some beautiful competition, particularly up front, their different strengths give us options. I'm going to look for an XI and a bench that gives me solutions."

Bartra

Alfrescian
Loyal

Barca are La Liga favourites – Luis Enrique

22 August 2015 14:29

897303header.jpg

Barcelona coach Luis Enrique is confident his side can successfully defend the La Liga title as they prepare to open their campaign against Athletic Bilbao.

Barca clinched the league by two points from rivals Real Madrid, but were beaten 5-1 over two legs by Bilbao in the Supercopa de Espana in their build-up to the Lige campaign.

Luis Enrique's side claimed the UEFA Super Cup against Sevilla, however, and, despite seeing Pedro join Chelsea in midweek, the Barca boss says his side are set to be frontrunners again this term.

"It's a long season and it's all about consistency, but starting with a win is always good," he said.

"We're the champions and we have to defend our title. We're the favourites just as Atletico [Madrid] were last season. As the year goes on things can change.

"It will be a competitive league, with three or four teams in with a chance.

"It's been unusual in that we've had to play for two trophies off the back of what we did last season.

"We're in good condition and are ready to compete. We're excited to play good football and to win trophies."

As well as confirming his hopes of signing a replacement for Pedro, Luis Enrique was also quizzed on the fitness of Neymar and Jordi Alba.

The former is back training following mumps but will not feature against Bilbao while Alba is available for selection after a hamstring problem.

"Jordi has been declared fit and has been able to train and when we get to Bilbao we will see if he is going to play or not. He is a welcome addition to the squad," added the Barca boss.

"Neymar has started training today. He has started pre-season this Saturday and given his illness, how he comes on will determine when he will be available.

"I am not worried if it takes Neymar a little bit of time to get back to fitness. Given how he is, I am sure he will get fit quickly and will be back available soon."

Chicharito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Luis Enrique refuses to comment on Neymar speculation

24 August 2015 04:45

898341header.jpg

Barcelona coach Luis Enrique refused to comment on speculation linking Neymar to Manchester United.

The Brazil international, 23, has been linked to a sensational switch to the Premier League, with United his most likely destination.

Luis Enrique, whose team claimed a 1-0 win at Athletic Bilbao on Sunday, is disinterested in the reports.

Asked if there had been any contact between the clubs about Neymar, the coach said: "I heard Neymar and another club and I am no longer interested in this question.

"I don't talk about rumours and this kind of thing. I am just focused on analysing my team. In perfect English. You got it?"

Neymar, who is contracted until mid-2018, played no part in Barca's victory as he continues his return following a bout of mumps.

Torres

Alfrescian
Loyal

Suarez not worried about Busquets, Alves injuries

24 August 2015 11:56

898426header.jpg

Luis Suarez believes Barcelona will be able to cope without Dani Alves and Sergio Busquets, after both were substituted with injuries on Sunday.

The pair had to be withdrawn during Barca's 1-0 win over Athletic Bilbao on the opening day of their Liga title defence.

Suarez netted the only goal of the game in the 54th minute, having earlier won a penalty that was missed by Lionel Messi.

"We know we're walking a fine line, they're players who add a lot to the team, but we have a match ahead next week and we have quality players that can play in their place," Suarez said of the injured duo.

"These games inspire us to win the league. We won the game and that’s what's important, we had to wait for the
moment to create some scoring chances."

Sergi Roberto filled in for Alves at right-back against Athletic, and says he is happy to continue to do so if called upon by Luis Enrique.

"If Dani Alves is out and the coach gives me the opportunity to play at that position I'll play there and try to give my best to help the team beat Malaga, get the three points, and achieve the ultimate goal, which is to win the league," he said.

Torres

Alfrescian
Loyal

Alves set for Barca absence

24 August 2015 13:30

898458header.jpg

Barcelona look set to be without full-back Dani Alves for a spell due to a groin strain, although Sergio Busquets' ankle problem has been confirmed as nothing serious.

Alves was forced off early in Barca's 1-0 victory over Athletic Bilbao on Sunday, while midfielder Busquets was replaced in the second half after a collision with striker Aritz Aduriz.

The withdrawals somewhat soured Barca's opening-day victory and Alves now faces time on the sidelines after receiving the results of medical tests on Monday.

A Barca statement confirmed the Brazilian suffered a groin strain, but described Busquets' knock as "nothing important".

Luis Suarez provided the winner for Luis Enrique's side - the striker getting the champions' title defence up and running at San Mames after Lionel Messi had a penalty saved.

Pique

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pique hits back at Barca critics

26 August 2015 04:16

899390header.jpg

Gerard Pique hit back at suggestions that Barcelona lack the depth to win La Liga, claiming the reigning champions are gunning for successive titles.

Despite kicking off their title defence with a 1-0 win over Athletic Bilbao, Barcelona's depth has been questioned following an injury to Dani Alves, and the departure of fan favourite Pedro to Chelsea.

Barca have signed Arda Turan and Aleix Vidal for the 2015-16 season, but both players are ineligible until January due to Barca's transfer ban.

Pique, however, is adamant Luis Enrique's men will challenge on all fronts.

"We have a team. Even with the injuries we went to a hard ground and won," said Pique, who is hopeful of having his four-match ban for verbally abusing an assistant referee during the Supercopa de Espana overturned.

"Saying that there's no depth is looking for the negative. The world doesn't end if you lose one match.

"We've won five of the last seven Ligas and we're going for the eighth."

Barca host Malaga in league action on Saturday.

Pique

Alfrescian
Loyal

Negredo: Suffering is in the past

26 August 2015 09:54

899445header.jpg

Valencia striker Alvaro Negredo hopes Tuesday's decisive goal in the UEFA Champions League will help revitalise his career.

The Spain international fired Valencia ahead after four minutes against Monaco, a goal the proved crucial as Nuno Espirito Santo's side qualified for the group stages with a 4-3 aggregate win – despite losing 2-1 on the night.

Negredo is looking to rebuild his reputation after failing to maintain an impressive start to life at Manchester City and subsequently spending last season on loan at Mestalla before the move was made permanent ahead of the current campaign.

"The coach told me [I was playing]," he told AS. "I wasn't sure, I knew I might start, and in the end he told me and I tried to respond in the best way.

"I want to dedicate the goal to my family, my friends, the people who have been with me for better or worse.

"[My] suffering is in the past. I have to enjoy this and continue working hard. I put in a good performance on Saturday but I was unlucky not to score. Today I had my reward."

Emery

Alfrescian
Loyal

Godin ´always wanted´ Atletico stay

26 August 2015 14:22

899547header.jpg

Diego Godin said he had no hesitation in signing a new contract with Atletico Madrid despite reported from the likes of Manchester City and Chelsea.

The Uruguay captain last week agreed a new four-year deal with Atletico to put an end to speculation over his future.

Godin has became a key player at the heart of the Atleti defence following his move from Liga rivals Villarreal back in 2010 and his assured performances were said to have attracted interest from Premier League rivals City and Chelsea, amongst others.

The 29-year-old stressed that he had no interest in leaving Vicente Calderon, stating that it was an easy decision to remain with Diego Simeone's side.

"I am very happy to have renewed with the Athletic." he said at a press conference on Wednesday.

"I want to thank the club, my team-mates and the coaching staff

"I have taken a decision with the heart, for the love that the people give me every day The club has made ​​a great effort for me to stay here

"I always wanted to stay at this club. I am in the prime of my career."

RealMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Illarramendi makes Sociedad return

26 August 2015 15:55

899602header.jpg

Asier Illarramendi has returned to boyhood club Real Sociedad for an undisclosed fee after a frustrating two-year spell at Real Madrid.

The midfielder has been linked with a whole host of European clubs during the transfer window, with his chances of securing a place in the first team at Madrid looking increasingly remote.

Illarramendi was left out of Rafael Benitez's squad for the Liga opener at Sporting Gijon on Sunday to lead to further speculation over his impending departure and the 25-year-old has now sealed a return to Sociedad on a six-year deal.

Having made only 25 starts in Liga since his move to Santiago Bernabeu and will now get the opportunity to kickstart his career, where he came through the ranks and established himself as a key player before making the switch to the capital.

Illarramendi passed a medical on Wednesday and will be presented to the media later in the day.

A short statement on Madrid's official website said: "Real Madrid CF and Real Sociedad have agreed the transfer of the player Asier Illarramendi.

"The club wants to show its appreciation for the years of dedication and professionalism of Illarramendi , and wishes him good luck in his new career."

RealMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Juve striker Llorente undergoing Sevilla medical

26 August 2015 21:07

899777header.jpg

Juventus striker Fernando Llorente is undergoing a medical at Sevilla.

The UEFA Europa League holders issued a brief statement on Wednesday confirming that former Athletic Bilbao man Llorente has been given permission to discuss a return to Spain.

Massimiliano Allegri, the Juve coach, appeared to dismiss speculation linking Llorente with Sevilla at the weekend, when he said: "Fernando Llorente will be important for us again this year. He's in good shape and he's a player I trust."

But the 30-year-old Spain international, who has netted 27 goals in 92 appearances for Juve, has now seemingly been deemed surplus to requirements in Turin.

ToniKroos

Alfrescian
Loyal

Marseille loan Real Madrid youngster Lucas Silva

27 August 2015 16:14

900181header.jpg

Lucas Silva has become the second Real Madrid midfielder to leave the Santiago Bernabeu in as many days after agreeing a season-long loan switch to Marseille.

The Brazilian had been heavily linked with a move away from the Spanish capital since the end of last season, with Porto and Fiorentina both reported to have been interested, but previously spoke of his desire to stay and fight for his place.

He will not get the chance to do that this season, though, after Real confirmed the 22-year-old will be moving to Ligue 1 until June 2016.

After arriving from Cruzeiro in January, Silva made nine appearances under former head coach Carlo Ancelotti, but he will have to wait to add to that list.

His exit comes hot on the heels of Asier Illarramendi's departure, the 25-year-old returning to Real Sociedad on Wednesday.

Bartra

Alfrescian
Loyal

Messi named UEFA Player of the Year

27 August 2015 19:03

900319header.jpg

Lionel Messi has been named UEFA Player of the Year following a final vote during the UEFA Champions League draw in Monaco on Thursday.

The mercurial Barcelona forward secured the award for the second time, having previously been crowned the continent's best player back in 2011.

Last year's winner Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi's team-mate Luis Suarez were also in the running for the gong, but it was Argentina captain Messi who claimed yet another honour.

Messi was at his brilliant best yet again as Barca won the UEFA Champions League, La Liga and Copa del Rey in Luis Enrique's first season at the helm.

The majestic 28-year-old broke Telmo Zarra's record for Liga goals scored in the 2014-15 campaign and went on to find the back of the net 58 times in all competitions, with 10 of those ensuring he was joint-top scorer in the Champions League with Ronaldo and team-mate Neymar.

Messi missed out on the FIFA Ballon d'Or to Real Madrid forward Ronaldo in January for a second successive year, but was not to be denied being voted the top player on the continent.

He said: "We're a unified squad who worked very hard to achieve the goals we did. I'm very happy and I would like to thank my team-mates – without them I wouldn't have achieved this."

Ronaldo was second following another prolific season with Real despite their failure to win a major trophy, with Suarez third following his outstanding first season with the Catalan giants.

Barca talisman Messi was presented with the award by UEFA President Michel Platini at the Grimaldi Forum, where the European champions were drawn to face Bayer Leverkusen, Roma and BATE in Champions League Group E.

Messi also won the UEFA Goal of the Season award for his brilliant individual strike against Bayern Munich, which was his second of the match after also opening the scoring in a 3-0 semi-final first leg victory at Camp Nou back in May.

RealMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Llorente laments Sevilla luck

31 August 2015

902322header.jpg

Sevilla recruit Fernando Llorente lamented a losing return to La Liga, as his new club went down 3-0 to Atletico Madrid on Sunday.

Llorente completed a switch back to Spain from Juventus on Thursday, the former Athletic Bilbao striker starting in Sevilla's home opener, with the 2013-14 champions taking the points.

The 30-year-old, a prominent goal-scorer for Bilbao between 2004 and 2013, said Sevilla were unfortunate at the Estadio Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan.

Slack defending led to Atletico's opener from Koke, before Gabi's second-half strike from distance deflected in off the back of Sevilla's Grzegorz Krychowiak.

"It was a very hard and tough game. Atletico are a very compact team that fights a lot, we have tried in the second half but we had no luck," Llorente told Canal+.

"They had the most [luck], the second goal was a blow with the deflection proving lucky. There is much work yet."

Llorente, though, revealed his delight to move back to La Liga, after struggling to have an effect at Juve last season when he scored seven goals in 31 outings.

"I am very happy to get to Seville and return to the Spanish league, let's see if I can give a lot of joy to this club," he said.

ToniKroos

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ceballos uninterested in Real Madrid rumours

31 August 2015

902415header.jpg

Highly rated Real Betis midfielder Dani Ceballos says he wants to stay at the Estadio Benito Villamarin despite reported interest from Real Madrid.

The 19-year-old Betis man was part of Spain's UEFA European Under-19 Championship winning side earlier this year and also played a key role in Pepe Mel's squad during the club's promotion back to La Liga.

Mel has previously played down suggestions of Ceballos leaving for the Santiago Bernabeu - despite the youngster having only one year left on his contract.

And now the player himself says he is keen to remain at Betis.

"They are only rumours, what I want is to stay at Betis," Ceballos told AS.

"I want to continue at Betis and enjoy these fans for many years. They trust me because I have never failed them,

"I have always given everything for this shirt and I only think about returning all of the affection that I have received from the Beticos."

Pique

Alfrescian
Loyal

Casemiro signs long-term Real deal

31 August 2015

902513header.jpg

Real Madrid have handed a new long-term contract to Brazilian midfielder Casemiro.

The 23-year-old impressed on loan at Porto last season, prompting the Primeira Liga club to activate a clause to sign him permanently.

However, Real exercised their option to keep hold of Casemiro, who played for Sao Paulo in his homeland prior to his arrival at the Santiago Bernabeu in 2013, and he duly featured as a substitute in Saturday's 5-0 victory over Real Betis.

He has now committed his future to Madrid for the next six years, the club confirming Casemiro had signed a contract that runs until June 2021.

Chicharito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Raul Garcia completes Bilbao switch

31 August 2015

902548header.jpg

Athletic Bilbao have completed the signing of Atletico Madrid midfielder Raul Garcia on a four-year contract.

The two clubs agreed a deal in principle on Sunday and the 29-year-old underwent a medical on Monday before putting pen to paper.

Raul Garcia's new contract includes a €40million release clause.

The Spain international made 212 La Liga appearances for Atletico after arriving from Osasuna in 2007-08.

During his time in Madrid, Raul Garcia helped Atletico to the Liga title in 2013-14, while he tasted success in the Copa del Rey (2012-13), Supercopa de Espana (2014), UEFA Europa League (2009-10) and UEFA Super Cup (2010 and 2012).

Raul Garcia will be presented as a Bilbao player later on Monday.

Torres

Alfrescian
Loyal

Milan loan Mastour to Malaga

31 August 2015

902921header.jpg

Milan have loaned talented Moroccan youngster Hachim Mastour to Malaga for the next two La Liga seasons.

The deal was confirmed on Monday, with Mastour to remain at La Rosaleda until the end of the 2016-17 campaign in order to gain first-team experience.

The 17-year-old, who already has one international cap to his name, is highly rated in Milan but is yet to make a senior appearance in a competitive match since emerging from the Serie A club's youth system in 2014.