• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Invasive fish appear in Toronto!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm sure some of you have watched TV shows on nature and noticed that the US have problems with "invasive" species like Asian Carp, Snakehead, Burmese Pythons. There are shows on TV showing Silver Carp jumping out of the water whenever a motor boat approaches. I used to join some friends during secondary school days pond fishing at the commercial ponds in Tampines, on lucky days, might land a grassie, but mostly went home empty-handed. This article is a report of grass carp being found as far north as Toronto - they've crossed into Canada now! I hope it doesn't destroy the habitat for the local species, would want to spend some time fishing for bass and trout in the future. Once they get into the river systems, it will be impossible to eradicate them.

Cheers!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...ghly-invasive-found-in-toronto-pond-1.3172683

2 Asian carp, considered highly invasive, found in Toronto pond

3 government agencies join forces in search for more of the fish

CBC News Posted: Jul 29, 2015 2:46 PM ET Last Updated: Jul 29, 2015 8:09 PM ET

Agencies from three levels of government sprang into action after two Asian grass carp, a highly invasive species of fish, were found in a pond near Toronto's waterfront.
The Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) said Wednesday that its staff discovered the first fish on Monday while relocating fish from the pond at Tommy Thompson Park, where the city is constructing a nine-hectare wetland. The second fish was found Tuesday.
Fisheries and Oceans Canada officials remain on the scene, where they're looking for more signs of the species.
The federal agency, TRCA and Ontario's Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry all sent officials to the scene, but nobody knows at this point how the fish made it into the pond.
Rick Portiss, of the TRCA, said grass carp feed on aquatic vegetation and would "chew up" much of the natural habitat that native species rely on.
Portiss said the fish can be "very disruptive" to the ecosystem, in this case a pond on the 500-hectare, man-made spit that juts five kilometres out into Lake Ontario from the city's waterfront.
Fish can weigh up to 40 kg
Asian carp is a catchall name for species of silver, bighead, grass, and black carp from Southeast Asia. The fish typically weigh two to four kilograms, but can weigh up to 40 kilograms. The species is known to eat up to 20 per cent of their body weight in plankton each day and can reproduce quickly.
The last time an Asian grass carp was found in a Toronto waterway was in 2003, when TRCA staff found one near the mouth of the Don River.
Earlier this month, government officials in the United States said they plan to spend nearly $60 million US over the next two years in the battle to prevent Asian carp from reaching the Great Lakes.
On its site, the TRCA says "where they have proliferated in parts of the United States, grass carp have had a negative effect on the ecosystem, as well as on the commercial and recreational fishery. Grass carp feed extensively on aquatic vegetation, often uprooting large areas of vegetation, thus depleting other native fish species."

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Invite our Asian Fishermen (Thai, Taiwan, Japanese ) to Florida and Toronto
with fishing nets they will clean them out in No Time!! whether snake head,
Asian Carp or Burmese Python.. Asian will EAT them clean!!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many are and already have. In the big cities, there are ethnic enclaves, and a few can be found in quite remote small towns. Large cities like NY, LA, Toronto, there are throngs of "visible" minorities. The last neighbourhood I resided in, Markham, just north of Toronto, full of Chinese. I sold my house , to a Shanghainese before I left, the entire street the house was located consisted of Hongkongers, and Cantonese was the prominent language heard. Matter of fact, the best Indian dish I've ever had was there, and not here in Singapore!

Cheers!

High time Asia invade USA n Canada.............3 cheers

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha, they will be delighted. But knowing our Chinese habits, once let loose, they will capture and eat anything, including protected and/or endangered species and will not observe off-season periods. It's a good idea though, and should the Chinese to find a way to eat Cane Toads in Australia, they're an invasive species there and a pest as well.

Cheers!

Invite our Asian Fishermen (Thai, Taiwan, Japanese ) to Florida and Toronto
with fishing nets they will clean them out in No Time!! whether snake head,
Asian Carp or Burmese Python.. Asian will EAT them clean!!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yup. The municipals around Toronto, a notorious Tamil gang emerged, known as AK-Kannan. Other neighbourhoods have their own share of ethnic gangs too. Good thing about these gangs is that they concentrate on their "business" and normally do not prey on innocent civilians who have nothing to do with them. They mostly involve in drug distribution and gun running and do not simply hang around and "stare" at people they can bully.

Cheers!

Damn asians everywhere.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's the most likely situation. BTW, back in the 70s, I released about a half dozen red-bellied piranhas into MacRitchie Reservoir after the fish was banned in Singapore. I wonder if they've survived and multiplied?

Cheers!

The carp didn't swim from UArseA. Most likely released by Canadians themselves into the local waters.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Many are and already have. In the big cities, there are ethnic enclaves, and a few can be found in quite remote small towns. Large cities like NY, LA, Toronto, there are throngs of "visible" minorities. The last neighbourhood I resided in, Markham, just north of Toronto, full of Chinese. I sold my house , to a Shanghainese before I left, the entire street the house was located consisted of Hongkongers, and Cantonese was the prominent language heard. Matter of fact, the best Indian dish I've ever had was there, and not here in Singapore!

Cheers!

You should export these fishes to Asia. The North American fishes are likely to be less toxics than those found in Asia.

Sinkapore curry is the best ...no curry fish head in Toronto leh.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's the most likely situation. BTW, back in the 70s, I released about a half dozen red-bellied piranhas into MacRitchie Reservoir after the fish was banned in Singapore. I wonder if they've survived and multiplied?

Cheers!

Throw a ministar in ...see if he or she gets attack.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I go to MacRitchie sometimes just to walk around before sunset, and many times I have been tempted to push a monkey (from the wooden bridge structure) into the water, just to see if the monkey can swim. Two things have prevented me from doing this - either the monkey(s) will attack me, or the rangers might fine me for "assaulting" the animal. But I'd love to see the monkey fall into the water and put up some kind of struggle!

Cheers!

Throw a ministar in ...see if he or she gets attack.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cheers!

most likely your piranhas become somebody fish curry dinner not long after u release them. :biggrin: