• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Paper General: State Benefits For Unwed Mothers And Their Bastard Offspring!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I am really disappointed with this policy change! This is populist! It is also against my moral values! I may have to reconsider my vote, even though I am a grassroots leader!

tan-chuan-jin-unwed-mothers-singapore_1.jpg

In an interview yesterday with Minister for Social and Family Development Tan Chuan Jin, the minister revealed that the government is reviewing its policies towards unwed mothers and may extend benefits given to married mothers to this marginalized group.

Tan said he had asked to review the policies when he joined the Ministry of Social and Family Development (MSF) in April, and that he hopes to make announcements on it before the Budget next year.

"I've a great deal of sympathy for single unwed mothers," he said. "Some of the differentiation that exists, could we harmonise it? So that's being reviewed."

As of now, unwed mothers get only 8 weeks of paid maternity leave, as compared to the 16 weeks given to married mothers. Unwed mothers also do not get perks such as the Baby Bonus cash gift and parenthood tax rebates, and have to wait till they are 35 years old to buy a HDB flat under the singles scheme.

While these differences have been raised many times, including in Parliament, the answer has always been that the Government can only move as far as society is prepared to.

Just in March, then Minister for Social and Family Development Chan Chun Sing had said that Singapore needs to find a balance between supporting unwed mothers as well as the policy to support parenthood within marriages.

When asked if he thought Singapore society is now prepared to change its stance, Mr Tan said: "My sense is that the public understands and sympathises with single unwed mothers."

He added that there is more support available for unwed mothers than maternity leave and baby bonuses. "It's about healthcare availability, it's about education opportunities and the support that comes with it."

When probed about how extensive the review will be, he said the issues - such as housing, education, health, employment - are being discussed from a "whole-of-government perspective".

- More at AllSingaporeStuff.com http://www.allsingaporestuff.com/ar...rant-unwed-mothers-same-benefits-married-ones
FB: http://fb.com/allsgstuff

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ah sam gor, your beloved papig has turn over to the dark side.:rolleyes:

I thought they say that mum n child does not make up the notion of family. So no benefit for you. But when they need the votes, they suddenly become very compassionate and caring towards single parents.

They are no more then conniving bastards, a kind of lower form of living creature ever existed.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Trying to do last minute job to woo the votes of single mothers. :biggrin::rolleyes:

I think the PAP is very kancheong now. It is pulling out all the party tricks e.g. SG50 stuff, LKY tributes, NTUC discounts for Pioneers, free bus rides. Think back to previous elections... there was no such thing.

Perhaps losing a GRC and two consecutive by-elections had unnerved the PAP. :cool:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Trying to do last minute job to woo the votes of single mothers. :biggrin::rolleyes:

I think the PAP is very kancheong now. It is pulling out all the party tricks e.g. SG50 stuff, LKY tributes, NTUC discounts for Pioneers, free bus rides. Think back to previous elections... there was no such thing.

Perhaps losing a GRC and two consecutive by-elections had unnerved the PAP. :cool:

They are now beh cai. Too many screw-ups. They know ground isnt sweet. Expect more goodies to be announced just before GE to con the naive voters. Pinky to meet his waterloo soon.

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Some govts discover their lapses around erection time.

Things like this and the free Friday SMRT rides are just cheap shots at buying votes.

Fcuk them.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I consider myself as a "conservative", and does not support "single parenthood", but there are cases when single mothers and their children should not be penalized and financially marginalized by the government policies.
The policies should be fair and just vis-a-vis all the children regardless whether their mothers are single (unmarried) or married, because those children are sinless, and will eventually serve NS and contribute to the community.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I consider myself as a "conservative", and does not support "single parenthood", but there are cases when single mothers and their children should not be penalized and financially marginalized by the government policies.
The policies should be fair and just vis-a-vis all the children regardless whether their mothers are single (unmarried) or married, because those children are sinless, and will eventually serve NS and contribute to the community.
There are certain groups who couldn't care less and love becoming irresponsible single parents. Giving them the same benefits as married is encouraging them to enjoy their lives of rabbits at the expense of others.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There are certain groups who couldn't care less and love becoming irresponsible single parents. Giving them the same benefits as married is encouraging them to enjoy their lives of rabbits at the expense of others.

It is probably true.
In Canada, there are certain groups who tend to have several children possibly due the the Canadian government's generous child tax benefits (and other social benefits) for families with lower income.
Regardless, I believe that children should not be penalized.

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Frankly I was surprised when I heard over the radio after they did a call in on Kiss92 that a lady called up to say that she is actually planning to be a single mom. By choice.
Will same sex partners push for marriage and hdb flats next?

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now let's see, with such an announcement, how many more votes for the PaP will come from all the available...

SLUTS and...

their BASTARD off springs? LoLoLoL

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is probably true.
In Canada, there are certain groups who tend to have several children possibly due the the Canadian government's generous child tax benefits (and other social benefits) for families with lower income.
Regardless, I believe that children should not be penalized.

Don't use the term 'children' as a excuse for this group of ppl.

Children from such origins are nothing but just PROBLEMS to society, when they grow up.

It's A FACT.

YOU want such problems or you can culled them before they become a...

PROBLEM!

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
for the sake of few more votes, he is encouraging them to keep on fucking outside sancitity of marriage... wat a immoral bastard!!

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal

Children from such origins are nothing but just PROBLEMS to society, when they grow up.

It's A FACT.

PROBLEM!

Wat you said is also true when applied to FTrashes already in our midst

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Frankly I was surprised when I heard over the radio after they did a call in on Kiss92 that a lady called up to say that she is actually planning to be a single mom. By choice.
Will same sex partners push for marriage and hdb flats next?

Ya same sex marriage is another area that such a policy will encourage indirectly. I tried to be liberal to accept same sex marriage but no matter how I tried to understand their views, I just couldn't find enough benefits or logic to accept such arrangements.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
While I applaud this 'turnaround' of the policy, it won't change my vote. It will benefit the kids. Afterall they r the innocent party.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

It's A FACT.

PROBLEM!

I understand, because I have seen such cases (probably more in Toronto, compared to Singapore).
I rather be compassionate.