• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Mr Chiam standing in PP ???

kopiOuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
SINGAPORE: Veteran opposition figure Chiam See Tong has not been ruled out from contesting in the coming General Election (GE), with the Singapore People’s Party (SPP) saying that it has not decided whether to field its secretary-general.

Mr Chiam was Member of Parliament (MP) for Potong Pasir for 27 years until 2011, when he moved out of his constituency and led a team to contest Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC in the GE.

His team lost to the PAP incumbents, garnering 43.07 per cent of the votes.

On Monday (Jul 27), his wife and Non-Constituency MP Lina Chiam, who contested in Potong Pasir in 2011, was coy on whether Mr Chiam might run, given that “everything is fluid”.

“There could be changes here and there, so I would not like to comment at the moment,” said Mrs Chiam, the party’s chairman.

Mr Chiam, 80, has suffered two strokes in recent years, but he is still seen with his party on walkabouts, with a post on the SPP Facebook page showing him at a meet-and-greet at Mountbatten in June.

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Oh pleeese! This man deserves a well-earned break. On account of his frailty, he should just be an adviser and watch on the side-lines instead of standing for election. Let Botak Ah Pwee be elected as MP of Potong Pasir. Imho he is the strongest candidate there if he stands. Lina Chiam has been an ornamental and monumental flop even as NCMP. She is unlikely to be elected if she stands; notwithstanding that she is the wife of CST. :rolleyes:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
LKY will stand in Tanjong Pagar GRC. :wink:

After all, the residents there are already used to a MP with a ghostly existence, a MP that isn't really doing MP duties. :wink:

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Mr Chiam is so "koh lian"...Lina is so weak but he has no other strong members.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Oh pleeese! This man deserves a well-earned break. On account of his frailty, he should just be an adviser and watch on the side-lines instead of standing for election. Let Botak Ah Pwee be elected as MP of Potong Pasir. Imho he is the strongest candidate there if he stands. Lina Chiam has been an ornamental and monumental flop even as NCMP. She is unlikely to be elected if she stands; notwithstanding that she is the wife of CST. :rolleyes:

Lina lost by a nose the other time.
Let's see if PP residents repent already or not.
Her performance in parliament not withstanding I still think it's 50-50

xpo2015

Alfrescian
Loyal
He is a well known figure!

If he goes to any constituency he will get substantial votes!

Provided he can show to the voters he has a capable assistant to help him and many town council people working for him!

NoNewsGood

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chiam See Tong has passed his prime.

Even the 2011 election, he was not able to carry the team to beat the Cow and the Hen in Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC.

It was painful to see him struggling to speak and with a slur.

As someone has posted earlier, he can always remain an advisor. He has sacrificed and contributed enough, I say let him retire from the frontline and be forever appreciated and remembered as a great opposition politician.

kopiOuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
safe_image.php

lina is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SINGAPORE: Non-Constituency Member of Parliamen (NCMP) Lina Chiam will return to contest Potong Pasir SMC under Singapore People’s Party's (SPP) banners in the upcoming election, she told 938LIVE on Tuesday (Jul 28).

"The SPP will not budge and I'll still be standing in Potong Pasir even if it's a three-cornered fight. Because I promised the people of Potong Pasir that I'll return and I shall return,” Mrs Chiam said.

“I'll be continuing to do what is needed for the residents of Potong Pasir regarding feedback, whatever improvements that they want to that still needed to be done. I'll be continuing to do the work that was left by Mr Chiam.”

Potong Pasir SMC was helmed by her husband Chiam See Tong for 27 years. Mrs Chiam lost to incumbent MP Sitoh Yih Pin, from the People’s Action Party, by just 114 votes in the 2011 General Election.

COMPETITION FOR VOTES LIKELY FIERCE

As the smallest constituency with about 17,000 voters, competition for votes in Potong Pasir could be fierce, with opposition parties expressing a strong interest in contesting the seat. The Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) had earlier said they plan to challenge PAP there.

The DPP's secretary-general, Mr Benjamin Pwee, is optimistic regardless of how many people stand.

“If we have one very strong opposition candidate that can stand up against the PAP, it will ultimately be a two-man fight and not a three-cornered fight. But definitely we feel that it would be wonderful to have a very strong alternative candidate that can stand in Potong Pasir against Sitoh Yih Pin and win Potong Pasir back from the PAP," said Mr Pwee.

Residents 938LIVE spoke to were enthusiastic about the opportunity to have a choice.

Ms Koh Kwee Puey, 43, who has been living in the constituency for about 10 years, said competition is good. "I still hope to have opposition parties come. I mean, in every election I'd say that I hope to see somebody to come and challenge,” she said.

But 29-year-old resident Mohamad Azmi, who has lived in Potong Pasir all his life, hopes to see just one party challenge the PAP.

“I think one should be enough. It's much simpler for us to choose rather than complicate things. I’d rather a one-to-one fight than a multi-cornered fight. Because Potong Pasir people know what they really want so I think it'll be a 50-50 chance,” he said.

FACILITIES BROUGHT IN NOT UNNOTICED

Since the PAP won the election in 2011, more facilities have been brought in, and residents like Justin Ngien, who has lived in Potong Pasir for more than 25 years, said the changes have not gone unnoticed.

"There are a lot more linkways, there's a new establishment of the NTUC and the bank facilities which is very good. I think one of the greatest improvements is on the individual lift landing that's been very helpful. I live in a corner unit so it has been difficult to move around on the 7th floor for many years, because of the stairs," he said.

Potong Pasir MP Sitoh Yih Pin said more is in the pipeline if he is re-elected.

“Our responsibility and focus and our attention must be to the residents and the voters there. While we have done a lot in the last four-and-a-half years, both in terms of hardware and software, a lot more needs to be done in the next five years,” said Mr Sitoh. “So when the election comes, I hope our voters can give me another opportunity to complete the journey we have started.”

- 938LIVE/dl

kopiOuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
ST_20150725_YLLINA25_1543262.jpg

Non-Constituency MP Lina Chiam will make a bid for Potong Pasir once more, she said last night.

Mrs Chiam, who lost the Single- Member Constituency (SMC) by a wafer-thin 114 votes in 2011, told The Straits Times she wants to return to contest the long-time stronghold of her husband, former MP Chiam See Tong, who held the seat from 1984 till 2011.

She also said that her Singapore People's Party (SPP) will stand in Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC, where Mr Chiam stood and was defeated in the last election.

She declined to say if Mr Chiam, the country's longest-serving opposition MP, will be contesting the next election, although she confirmed that new SPP member Jeanette Chong-Aruldoss will be running in Mountbatten SMC under the party's banner.

"We are very happy to note that Potong Pasir SMC is intact," Mrs Chiam said. "And we are happy that the SPP is still given a chance to be able to contest in the SMC and, if elected, to serve Potong Pasir residents again, as Mr Chiam has done in the past 27 years."

A teacher-turned-lawyer, Mr Chiam won Potong Pasir under the Singapore Democratic Party banner in 1984. He held the single-seat ward until 2011, when he contested in Bishan-Toa Payoh and lost to the PAP.

Mrs Chiam said the SPP will be fielding teams in the three constituencies it contested in 2011 - which includes Hong Kah North SMC. The party has also not ruled out running in other SMCs and GRCs, she said.

It will announce its candidates later, she added. "I will be standing in Potong Pasir. I stood there, I promised people I will return, and I will come back again," she said.

Lim Yan Liang

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
SINGAPORE: Veteran opposition figure Chiam See Tong has not been ruled out from contesting in the coming General Election (GE), with the Singapore People’s Party (SPP) saying that it has not decided whether to field its secretary-general.

Mr Chiam was Member of Parliament (MP) for Potong Pasir for 27 years until 2011, when he moved out of his constituency and led a team to contest Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC in the GE.

His team lost to the PAP incumbents, garnering 43.07 per cent of the votes.

On Monday (Jul 27), his wife and Non-Constituency MP Lina Chiam, who contested in Potong Pasir in 2011, was coy on whether Mr Chiam might run, given that “everything is fluid”.

“There could be changes here and there, so I would not like to comment at the moment,” said Mrs Chiam, the party’s chairman.

Mr Chiam, 80, has suffered two strokes in recent years, but he is still seen with his party on walkabouts, with a post on the SPP Facebook page showing him at a meet-and-greet at Mountbatten in June.

Why would any sane voter vote for Chiam See Tong? He's very old and in poor physical health. He's not likely to live much longer. If he is voted in, the ward would most likely need to conduct a by-election within a year or two. Otherwise, his poor health would soon leave him incapacitated. The ward deserves a healthy MP.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I suggest my mentor GMS. He is scholarly, humble and an asset wherever he squats. Just make sure the Hainanese kali png is lumber 1 in PP.

KopiO

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most sensible take on politics so far for today!