• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Loser Hawker Upset That He Cannot Charge Sphagetti Prices!! Blame Rental High Woh!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
fishball-noodles.jpg

After attending the briefing regarding the new hawker centre, i have some thoughts. I am a gen y hawker and it takes alot of courage to step into this industry. Each year there are so many quality hawkers retiring due to old age if not others would rather move into other industry or end up working for others. NTUC stated that they are judging 40% base on rental and 60% on other criteria. But everyone is not confident at tendering due to the minimum price set for every stall. For instance fishball noodles at 2.70.

On the papers they talk about attracting quality hawkers. Do you actually think that a quality hawker will come out with quality food when they use quality ingredients and if the cost of food is so high..how much do you think the profit margin will be?

From what i see, many people in SG are paying for prices in shopping malls & paid $$$ for a coffee or a bowl of ramen, yet moan about prices of Hawker food.
If the basic ingredients are so expensive, how can we expect hawkers to make a decent living?

It is no wonder not many of the younger generation wants to take on the Hawker trade.

$2.70 a bowl/plate is very cheap. Profit margin must be minimal.

Mainly not alot can offer cheap food,

1) Rental
2) Exp. Supplier due to GST.
3) Exp. Gas, Water and Electric due to need to open for long hr
4) Salary as shortge of man power

Lastly they set a price for spaghetti 5.80 and fishball noodle 2.70. I just think its not fair. Our cost are really high too.
They said "experts" have calculated these cost. Everything they say is transparent.

I am a hawker myself. Known to be one of the most famous fishball noodle in singapore and i know about what cost are as a pioneer generation y hawker. It is only getting higher and its tougher.

What kind of living am i going to make myself if the profit margin is so low. The heritage is dying. If they want young gen to come in, give them a better profit. If their food is good, they make alot of money, they deserve it.

This system is so wrong. There hasnt been anyone sounding out. Why? Most of the hawkers are not educated. They dont listen to the people. What are they trying to proven for coming up with these low prices. Providing cheaper meals for the low income. Is everyone living in bukit panjang poor or low income? If you really want to help the need.

You could have come up with a system just like how medical centres are doing. A card for the lower income group. Show us the card and we will give them discounted meals. No problem. I like doing charity but if i put in so much effort to do charity for those that dont need it, and at the end of the day i dont make much, then i have a failed business model and do you think its sustainable being a hawker.

I really want to tender for bukit panjang hawker because its near my house and cannot find a good location as most of the good ones are taken up. I discussed this issue with Kf Seetoh and we are all worried about the heritage.

Ntuc said they have done surveys with residence there and most of them want cheap food but this is a ridiculous question, who don't.. but they could have shown more care and attention to the tenders as well because we are the one that put in all the effort in preparing food.

This is not a complain. I am sharing with you what both young hawkers and hawkbothare thinking.

Nevertheless i still want to give it a shot at bukit panjang. Everyone business is like a gamble and i will gamble in this opportunity. Thank you for spending time reading this message.

Douglas,
Fishball story

Editor's Note: Please support the entrepreneurial hawker at https://www.facebook.com/fishballstory! His fishball noodles are out of this world :smile:

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Loser Hawker Upset That He Cannot Charge Sphagetti Prices!! Blame Rental High Wo

Anytime some young punk pull out the 'gen y' tag , I snigger. It seems like being born in a certain period allows one to be selfish, behave like an asshole and expect others to accommodate them.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Loser Hawker Upset That He Cannot Charge Sphagetti Prices!! Blame Rental High Wo

Where got fair things in the World.

If you can make people to pay for your Sphagetti for $20 in an hawker centre, that is power.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

1) Rental
2) Exp. Supplier due to GST.
3) Exp. Gas, Water and Electric due to need to open for long hr
4) Salary as shortge of man power

Most of it is siphoned by the fugly dyke Elim Chew and her bunch of 'social enterprise' cronies. :wink:

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal

nobody asked...

Who did Douglas the 'fish balless' vote for? LoLoLoL

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

:confused:
nobody asked...

people go to hawker centres for a no-frills tasty bowl of noodles minus the balls and whistles at hawker centre prices, while douglas wants to go upmarket and have kumfuck seetoh to help him.
nobody asked.....what did the monkey say when he say a bowl of fishball noodles:confused: - all balls!

xpo2015

Alfrescian
Loyal

$2 hawker food jiak beh bah one! always hungry when I was in Singapore last time!

Serving so small. More like Kids Menu! I prefer to pay $4-$5 for a bigger bowl!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

One of my nephews wanted to learn cooking and open his own food place. I advised him to learn how to cook western meal instead of sinkie or chink meal. That was because for western meals like pasta, people have been conditioned to pay $10-$15 per plate. But for sinkie meals like char kway teow or hokkien meal, sinkies at most would only pay $5. For wanton noodles, it is worse. People are only willing to pay $3 - $4.

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Alamak, spaghetti also spelt wrongly.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

$2 hawker food jiak beh bah one! always hungry when I was in Singapore last time!

Serving so small. More like Kids Menu! I prefer to pay $4-$5 for a bigger bowl!

Sinkieland is a rich man's overcrowded playground. Either the serving decreases, or the price increases. :biggrin:

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal

The precedent has been set by ministerial pay............ get rich quick

zookeeper

Alfrescian
Loyal

According to one hawker I spoke to, these low prices are bluff one because only 1 dish per stall must be at low price.

So if a stall sells 4 dishes, then 3 expensive dishes plus 1 cheap little kitty size dish. :eek:

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal

One of my nephews wanted to learn cooking and open his own food place. I advised him to learn how to cook western meal instead of sinkie or chink meal. That was because for western meals like pasta, people have been conditioned to pay $10-$15 per plate. But for sinkie meals like char kway teow or hokkien meal, sinkies at most would only pay $5. For wanton noodles, it is worse. People are only willing to pay $3 - $4.

Noodles out sell western food 10 to 1, you know how to do maths or not?

Domino

Alfrescian
Loyal

Most of it is siphoned by the fugly dyke Elim Chew and her bunch of 'social enterprise' cronies. :wink:

She must be a Far East kid or Centrepoint kid :rolleyes:

da dick

Alfrescian
Loyal

i like this man. better than all the other hawkers who carry balls forr pappy dawgs and keep saying all good no bad. and blame their own sinkie customers when their businesss fail.

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

nobody asked...

Could be PAP could be Opposition. Surely not like you, voting for UMNO.

extramarital

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

You should also teach him about branding strategy so that he can charge a premium and people are willing to pay premium prices. This is what the Ang Mohs are good at. Ever wonder why Rolex, LV, Gucci, and Apple are able to sell at premium prices for their products and people are willing to pay those prices? How about Starbucks being able to charge premium prices for their coffees while the local Kopitiams cannot?

People are being conditioned to see Ang Mohs as high class and cool while Chinks are seen as low class and awkward.

Last edited: