• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Commando deaths were learnt from FB

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://mothership.sg/2015/07/everyt...ommandos-25-years-ago-i-learnt-from-facebook/

commando-heli-rappelling.jpg
[h=1]Everything I know about the training mishap that killed 3 SAF commandos 25 years ago, I learnt from Facebook[/h] July 17, 2015
When corroborative hearsay is better than no information.
Belmont Lay

Some 78 past and present SAF Commandos took out an obituary in The Straits Times on July 16, 2015 to honour three of their fallen comrades from their batch, 2nd company, 1988-1990.
Screen-Shot-2015-07-16-at-3.44.35-pm.png

The deceased were Ang Yee Khoon, Ng Eng Wah and Tan Pheng Huat, as a result of a training mishap some 25 years ago.
Little is known about what exactly happened to the trio as this was before the days of the Internet and information online now about this particular incident is scarce.
However, what we do know now can be culled from corroborative hearsay on Facebook.
As a result of our coverage of the obituary, some people who might have privileged information or were privy to what happened have come out to explain the circumstances of the tragedy.

1. A summary of what happened
3-commando-deaths-01.jpg

The trio apparently fell from a height of 36 metres (120 feet) while rappelling from a helicopter.

2. The consequence of the pilot error
3-commando-deaths-02.jpg

This is one version of what happened to the pilot.

3. More background as to what led to the accident
3-commando-deaths-03.jpg

4. The trio were almost finished with their NS stint
3-commando-deaths-04.jpg

There might have been up to four commandos who lost their lives, had it not been for a lucky save.

5. Incident apparently happened at Bukit Kallang
3-commando-deaths-05.jpg

6. Pilot error was probably the reason
3-commando-deaths-06.jpg

7. The trio were polytechnic graduates.
3-commando-deaths-07.jpg

8. Another version: The pilot was said to have been charged and jailed
3-commando-deaths-08.jpg

9. The pilot also faced informal sanctions
3-commando-deaths-09.jpg

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://forums.fuckwarezone.com.sg/95358795-post93.html

every coy has its logo or whatever you want to call that pic, 5th coy had lucifer as its logo and was painted on its coy wall.

there was this saying that CDO always get the best comabt unit bcos they worship lucifer, in return, 1 CDO will die each year as an offering to lucifer.

although the painting had been removed in the 80s, many CDO claimed that they still see the faint image occasionally.

strange enough, we heard about a CDO death almost every year especially in the olden days.

on that year of the 3 CDO accident, it was observed that no CDO died before the accident for a few years, as a result, there was rumor that lucifer claimed 3 lives together as back payment.

the last CDO accident before the 3 CDO was just a few years before the accident, happened in national stadium during a free fall performance when 1 red lion's primary chute failed to open, in the process of discarding it and activated the secondary chute, he made a mistake by discarding the secondary chute instead. as a result, he landed infront of the audience with a standard landing position, but without a chute.

no offence to CDO, this is a myth i heard afterall.

why i asked is the myth still valid was bcos coincidentally, 1 CDO died this year, recently :(

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
imagine what could have been if they were to survive and live on. larry, curly, mo would be the additional monikers on sbf contributing to "ns is killing sinkies" threads. :o

songsongjurong

Alfrescian
Loyal
mid 80s a non NS navy recruit swimmer was thrown into deep end of pool to "encourage" him to "learn tnings the hard way", he was returned to his parent in a coffin from sembawang camp.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I assure you if you add up all the SAF deaths since independence, and include both NSmen and Regulars, overseas deaths as well as locally, and include suicides as well as training accidents and deliberate acts, you will come to a figure in excess of 1,000. Every single formation that I know off have lost people. Includes Commandoes, Arty, Armour, Guards, Air Force, Navy etc.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I am surprised Shit Times would accept this obituary, they usually don't like to highlight bad things in the SAF.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I assure you if you add up all the SAF deaths since independence, and include both NSmen and Regulars, overseas deaths as well as locally, and include suicides as well as training accidents and deliberate acts, you will come to a figure in excess of 1,000. Every single formation that I know off have lost people. Includes Commandoes, Arty, Armour, Guards, Air Force, Navy etc.

That's a very low figure of 20 per year on the average. Considering the fact that more than 900,000 Singaporeans have served NS over the years, the death toll works out to 0.1% of the total intake.

150 people are killed on Singapore roads annually so it is obvious that your daily commute will put you at far greater risk of dying than your NS stint.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the PAP government for taking the safety of NS men seriously and it is this attention to safety that has kept the accident rate very low.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Death will occurred in the army but with PAP in charged, all these are covered up are to the unfairness of the country and citizens.. This is what happen when PAP is in charge.

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

They even have deaths during BMT:eek:
Had a school mate who died during BMT. He was an only son.

He would probably would have been posted in the clerical or store keeper occupation because he was fat. Unfortunate for him that he was not related to any VIPs so ended up dead.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
in the course of my active nsf, I seen in my own eye training mishaps that could have been prevented, heli evac(section mate, tekong) and ambulance (platoon mates, almost whole section suffered injury, gedong). had field training suspended midway because other battalions M113 overturn, see saf ambulance rushed into gedong medical centre late night only to redirect the ambulance to tengah airbase which has the only manned 24hr medical centre in that part of the island.

in view of what experienced, my nsf/reservist platoon mates would refuse direct orders when TSR maybe breached by the commanders. Once we even refuse to mount up until CQ arrive to replenish our M113 jerry cans with water. It better to be alive to be charge than having a national flag draped on one coffin.:(

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's what they are best at. Imo, there is nothing sensitive and nothing to hide with deaths or suicide in the SAF.

well the reason why they covered it up is probably to protect the asses of the higher ups and also not to sway public opinion of NS and think it's neccessary for defence.