• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PM: We got your interests at heart when taking in FTs

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Speaking at a dialogue at the annual FutureChina Global Forum yesterday (21 Jul), PM Lee told the audience that his government does have Singaporeans’ interests at heart when comes to taking in foreign labour and immigrants.

“Purely from the perspective of numbers, it makes sense to take in foreign labour and immigrants. But from an emotional standpoint, it is not easy for people to accept, to agree and support. We have explained the reasons many times. I think people may not necessarily want more explanations,” he said.

“What I hope people will know, and I mean this from my heart, is that on immigration and population, we have Singaporeans’ interests at heart,” speaking from his heart.

“We have this responsibility; we are the Government; we need to lead the country; we need to make the best possible decision for Singaporeans. Even on the most difficult issue, we need to make the best decision and be accountable to the people. There may be different views on how the policy should be, but I hope people understand that the Government’s intent is good.”

“We are doing this for Singapore, and for Singaporeans,” he added, presumably also speaking from his heart.

Singapore belongs to everyone

However, his latest remark differs from what he spoke during a grassroots event in Ang Mo Kio last year in celebration of the Indian New Year [Link].

At the time, Mr Lee was reported to have said that “the event was an embodiment of the theme as well as on a larger scale where everyone participates as one big Singapore family” and that Singapore was a place “where we all celebrate one another’s festivals and happy events together.”

He added that “Singapore belongs to all of us”, which he said included “Singaporeans, new arrivals, people who are on permanent residence here, people who are on employment pass here.”

Not surprisingly, his remarks last year triggered a torrent of angry comments online.

“How can a PR or Employment Pass Holder be equal to a citizen?” one netizen asked. “This is truly a slap to every Singapore-born son who has given two years of his life to national service. For a leader to say that this country belongs to people who don’t hold a Singapore citizenship is absolutely shocking.”

“We the citizens of Singapore have just been reduced to the status of guests in our own country by our own PM,” said another.

Netizen Janet Ng said Mr Lee has “forgotten [why] our forefathers fought so hard for Singapore ann those who have sacrificed their lives for Singapore.”

“Singapore is for Singaporeans,” she said. “Those who are PRs (Permanent Residents) or working with WP (Work Permit), SP (Special Pass) are just visitors of Singapore who only help the economy [of] Singapore. Only when you are a citizen of Singapore… can say Singapore is for you. We have to draw the line even though you don’t like it. Very sad to hear this from our leader.”

Kevinn Heng said, “As a citizen am most sad to see this statement. We welcome guests but that does not equate to them having an ownership of our land and what we have built.”

Some remarked that since Mr Lee said Singapore belongs to everyone who is here, foreigners should then be also asked to do NS too.

MOM forced to tighten FT rules

Meanwhile, public pressure and the impending GE appear to be forcing the government to further tighten rules for foreigners working here to bring their families over.

The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) is raising the minimum salary bar before they can apply for visas for spouses, children and parents. From Sept 1, they will have to earn at least $5,000 a month if they want to apply for Dependant’s Passes (DPs) for their spouses and children to join them in Singapore. This is up from the current $4,000.

Those who want to bring their parents to Singapore on Long Term Visit Passes (LTVPs) face an even higher minimum salary bar of $10,000 a month, up from $8,000.

The changes will take effect from 1 Oct.

SMU law professor Eugene Tan said, “It is a necessary rationalization as hiring one foreign professional can open the door to, say, four others in his or her family, which can impose a cost on society. By reviewing the benchmark, the door remains open but there is a more judicious management of the inflow.”

So, what is the real reason for the Singapore government suddenly seen to be so pro-Singaporeans?

The fear of losing another GRC to oppositions?

What do you think?

Read what more than 100 others think here..........

http://www.tremeritus.com/2015/07/22/pm-we-have-your-interests-at-heart-when-taking-in-fts/

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
On behalf of all the samsters here, I would like to thank PM Lee for always putting the interests of Singaporeans first.

Leckmichamarsch

Alfrescian
Loyal
This bugger has not learnt his lesson............ still want to oppose the majority who are sore that FTrashes numbering 348.000 have stolen their jobs
Who is LHL to decide on this under the pretext of doing it in your best interest. If it is so, why not upfront abt it,,,,,,,,, doing it behind our backs for so long. If it is truly in our best interest, a referendum must be held......... what are you afraid of? If you cannot defend it is fuckup
Just like your salaries which you sneeked in after GE 2004
How can it be in our best interest when so many of us got displaced.......... pple with genuine degrees and deep experience cannot find match jobs and have to drive taxi, clean jamban!! VTO

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This bugger has not learnt his lesson............ still want to oppose the majority who are sore that FTrashes numbering 348.000 have stolen their jobs
Who is LHL to decide on this under the pretext of doing it in your best interest. If it is so, why not upfront abt it,,,,,,,,, doing it behind our backs for so long. If it is truly in our best interest, a referendum must be held......... what are you afraid of? If you cannot defend it is fuckup
Just like your salaries which you sneeked in after GE 2004
How can it be in our best interest when so many of us got displaced.......... pple with genuine degrees and deep experience cannot find match jobs and have to drive taxi, clean jamban!! VTO

Data has shown that sinkie median income has increased yearly. So it is not true that foreigners have stolen sinkies' jobs on a large scale. In fact, the huge number of FTs here have provided more jobs and money for sinkies. Feedback from the grassroots also indicate that most voters are satisfied with PAP's overall performance.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am sure all the PMETs turned taxi drivers will thank him from the bottom of their hearts.

And not forgetting the breakdown of service standards and core competence of this country.

Average biz man will thank him for high rentals for improving the asset growth environment that attracts lots of investment.

HDB become what?

And the list goes on....too many to list

This guy reminds me of Ting Hai from "the greed of men" 1992 Hong Kong drama.

Thank you.

“What I hope people will know, and I mean this from my heart, is that on immigration and population, we have Singaporeans’ interests at heart,” speaking from his heart.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
dey oredi got say b4 wat ...

ft were brot in 2 create jobs 4 sinkies ... wifout ft's, sinkielan wil suffer from mass unemploymen ...

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Data has shown that sinkie median income has increased yearly. So it is not true that foreigners have stolen sinkies' jobs on a large scale. In fact, the huge number of FTs here have provided more jobs and money for sinkies. Feedback from the grassroots also indicate that most voters are satisfied with PAP's overall performance.

Data from PAP is no different from data released by PRC Government. How does median income increase show that foreigners are stealing jobs from sinkees? You are really stupid, pedophile.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hey Pinky, a picture is worth a thousand words.

konglanjiaowei_0_0_0.jpg

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Moi neighbour oso bery caring n hab moi family interest at heart...dey took our led TV...say watch tv will spoil our eyesight...our pc...say we waste too much time surf sbf...:biggrin:

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are so lucky to have such a good neighbor to take care of your welfare and future, must appreciate. jin jelly:(

Tomorrow you must cook sumting for your neighbor to show them how lucky you fewling:biggrin:

Moi neighbour oso bery caring n hab moi family interest at heart...dey took our led TV...say watch tv will spoil our eyesight...our pc...say we waste too much time surf sbf...:biggrin:

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
He's enjoying himself boiling the frog, turning the temp up slowly.... Water is boiling, bubbles forming but the frog still stoned...

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You are so lucky to have such a good neighbor to take care of your welfare and future, must appreciate. jin jelly:(

Tomorrow you must cook sumting for your neighbor to show them how lucky you fewling:biggrin:

yaman...moi hope dey took away moi wife too...so I can go get new huan...:biggrin::biggrin:

melzp

Alfrescian
Loyal
when I read this PM article, I feel very uncomfortable like taking
a lying test. It sent shivers to my spine.........what about you?