• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore's best goalkeeper

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
He's been driving for many years. After his kelong conviction, hard to get employed.

Yes... it was very hard to see him working as a taxi driver. I was sitting in the cab and thinking that this was a man who had his time in the limelight. He was once a household name, now he's just another bloke. After the ride I gave him a tip and said thank you and got off.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes... it was very hard to see him working as a taxi driver. I was sitting in the cab and thinking that this was a man who had his time in the limelight. He was once a household name, now he's just another bloke. After the ride I gave him a tip and said thank you and got off.

He was one of the first to play overseas in the early 80s. HK I recall.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Eric Paine related this anecdote to me.

He was flying to KL on a KL-Singapore shuttle one morning and had just taken his seat. One of the stewards approached him and asked, 'are you Mr Eric Paine the Singapore goalkeeper?'

'Er... yes,' he replied, surprised that people still recognized him. Before he could say anything else, the steward interrupted him.

'As a Malaysian and a football fan, I'd like to thank you for rushing to KL to pay your respects to Arumugam.'

Eric didn't quite understand what he'd heard and tried to clarify, but the steward had gone to attend to another passenger. He looked then down at the newspaper he'd taken as he boarded and saw the news that Arumugam had died the day before in a traffic accident.

I recall Eric Paine was sign on SAF career man. I think he retired as Major? I ran into him a few times in the army.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The hard truth is that the best goalkeeper we ever had was Ah Kong. If not for him, S'pore would have been thrashed by our neighbors. And we wont be celebrating SG50.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Eric Paine related this anecdote to me.

He was flying to KL on a KL-Singapore shuttle one morning and had just taken his seat. One of the stewards approached him and asked, 'are you Mr Eric Paine the Singapore goalkeeper?'

'Er... yes,' he replied, surprised that people still recognized him. Before he could say anything else, the steward interrupted him.

'As a Malaysian and a football fan, I'd like to thank you for rushing to KL to pay your respects to Arumugam.'

Eric didn't quite understand what he'd heard and tried to clarify, but the steward had gone to attend to another passenger. He looked then down at the newspaper he'd taken as he boarded and saw the news that Arumugam had died the day before in a traffic accident.

There is an interesting story to this as a side note. Maybe you know it, but I will tell it here. Arumugam was riding his motorbike and got killed by a car at night. At his funeral, all the soccer lumimaries of malaysia showed up, including Towkay Soh Chin Aun, and Mokhtar Dahari. People were shocked at the appearance of Mokhtar. He looked frail and weak, and not steady. It was there that they found out Dahari had muscular dystrophy. The sultan who was FAS president and a few others helped him with his medical bills and other support but there was no cure and he passed away only 3 years after Arumugam.

I always wonder if anything like this happened to the great generation of singapore footballers like Mat Noh, Arshad Khamis, Kim Song, etc. will anyone in FAS do anything for them?

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is an interesting story to this as a side note. Maybe you know it, but I will tell it here. Arumugam was riding his motorbike and got killed by a car at night. At his funeral, all the soccer lumimaries of malaysia showed up, including Towkay Soh Chin Aun, and Mokhtar Dahari. People were shocked at the appearance of Mokhtar. He looked frail and weak, and not steady. It was there that they found out Dahari had muscular dystrophy. The sultan who was FAS president and a few others helped him with his medical bills and other support but there was no cure and he passed away only 3 years after Arumugam.

I always wonder if anything like this happened to the great generation of singapore footballers like Mat Noh, Arshad Khamis, Kim Song, etc. will anyone in FAS do anything for them?

When Fandi had $$$$ problems, he approached MBT for help. Latter promised to help. But when Fandi went back to MBT, latter MIA. Fandi seepay tulan, until today. Shortly thereafter, he packed up and headed down south. When it comes to going the extra mile, our friends up north have more sympathisers.

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lee Bee Seng was a fantastic goalie, despite his small size. Extremely agile.

I definitely second that. Lee Bee Seng is my all-time favourite goalkeeper; ever so entertaining and brave between the goalposts. He dives and he somersaults a lot. In fact, in one of the Malaysia Cup matches, he did an elaborate roll and somersault to pick up a routine stray ball and in the process, he got himself injured. Just imagine, he was stretchered out and had to be replaced.:biggrin: Wonder how is he now!

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I remembered he once played professionally in Hong Kong and earned lucrative salaries.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Mokhtar's illness was quite shocking. And I was moved that FAM pitched in to help.

As for our football officials helping our ex-players out, the less said the better.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yes, Mohktar died of muscular dystrophy and was helped financially by the FAM. He was truly a legend, and at his peak was unanimously regarded as the best striker in Asia. A few German clubs were interested but he never wanted to play outside M'sia.

In Singapore, you die your own biz. Never heard of FAS helping any old time greats. Just look at how Tan Howe Liang, our first Olympian medallist, was treated: SSC just paid him a lowly wage as a gym supervisor at the National Stadium. I remember seeing him while training for my NS enlistment and wondering who this ah chek was. Looked more like the janitor than a Rome '60 silver medallist.