• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is it worth to pay for a Grand Seiko

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Dollar for dollar, the Grand Seiko is a superior piece of craftsmanship and horology to the Rolex. And it's still cheaper than the average stainless steel Rolex.

Even on a high-end Rolex, occasional blemishes and slightly misplaced markers can be seen on the dial. The Grand Rolex case, dial and bracelet is perfectly finished. The Zaratsu (samurai blade) hand-polishing is second to none; not even a Patek or Lange comes close. The entire movement is hand-assembled. Every part (movement, case, dial, bracelet) is made in-house.

As for accuracy, the Hi-Beat is regulated to specs tighter than an official Swiss Chronometer: +4 to -2 sec per day. (COSC: +6/-4; Rolex +5/-2).

Only drawback is the resale value - people still see a GS as a mass-market beater Seiko. But trust me, once you own a GS, you won't sell it. :smile:

Thank you for the insight I'll have a further look later. Yes the resale issue but I don't think I'd sell instead I usually pass on to others.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thank you for the insight I'll have a further look later. Yes the resale issue but I don't think I'd sell instead I usually pass on to others.

This is the GS Spring Drive model with the unique 'snowflake' dial, inspired by the huge amount of snowfall at the GS factory in Nagano (site of '98 Winter Olympics).

Grand-Seiko-Snowflake-620x600.jpg
6006220780_32d1573857.jpg

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes Grand Seiko has built its name in Japan, everything in the watch is hand crafted in Japan,
on sale domestically, no export sale by Seiko, only those who visit Japan can purchase them at High Price!

If you intend to get hold on of of this Seiko Grand, prepare not to sell it, its very difficult to sell off
even at 2/3 of your purchase price, I've seen a Seiko Prospex 600m very beautiful watch. put on sale since last year, to date its can't sell..starting price $4k than reduce to $3.8K ..the seller asked buyers to offer! Unless the buyer let go at $2k?? maybe some one will grab!

However a Rolex would tell a different story, example if you purchase say a Rolex Submariner LV
for $8k you can sell them off for $9k if the watch is kept in pristine condition complete with box and certificate!!

A Seiko is always a Seiko be it Seiko Grand, no doubt its very accurate! still cant beat a Rolex!!
in term of re-sale value and demand!

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
This is really nice, simple and elegant and zen looking. Never know Japanese produce such beautiful watch

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I love these sorts of threads... no politics, no hatred, no rudeness..... just a bunch of friends with a common interest.

[hope I did not speak too soon]

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the birth of grand seiko
you must understand japanese spirit in order to treasure grand seiko.
Japan was very fast to bounce back from WW2 and they held Tokyo Olympic and that was also the time when seiko launched Grand Seiko.

http://www.seiyajapan.com/pages/the-history-of-grand-seiko

Prior to 1960 most people believed Swiss watches were the highestquality and Japanese watches were inferior. Seiko believed they were capable of producing watches of the same quality as the Swiss. In fact, they had already made two high-quality examples, Crown and Chronos . The Grand Seiko is the result of their beliefs. Who made it? Daini Seikosha and Suwa began discussions under the suggestion of their parent company, Seiko. It was decided that Suwa would produce the first Grand Seiko (GS). Most men's watches were produced at Suwa and most women's watches were made at Daini in those days. The birth of GS was followed by the success of the Tokyo Olympics and Seiko's victory at the astronomical observatory Concours.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The birth of GS was followed by the success of the Tokyo Olympics and Seiko's victory at the astronomical observatory Concours.

The annual Swiss Chronometer Trials held by the Neuchatel and Geneva Observatories were dominated by the Swiss watchmakers until Seiko entered in 1963. They didn't too well in the first few years, but by the late sixties they were dominating every category and beating the Swiss at their own game that the Swiss cancelled the trials for good by 1968. They'd just lost too much face, losing to an oriental nation with a young watchmaking tradition.

Explaining Seiko's Legendary History In Swiss Chronometer Trials, With Live Pictures Of Its Landmark Astronomical Observatory Chronometer

Mitch

Alfrescian
Loyal
I love these sorts of threads... no politics, no hatred, no rudeness..... just a bunch of friends with a common interest.

[hope I did not speak too soon]

Same for ads free apps, websites etc.. one has to pay for it to be ads free :rolleyes:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Was wondering for those thinking of getting a Grand Seiko or any expensive watch, do you intend to use it everyday, or only on special occasions. or keep it locked up at home ?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
when you buy an exquisite luxury watch for flaunting and not just to tell time, it's a piece of jewelry and artwork on your hand. all the talk about technology, precision and workmanship are just analysis-paralysis until cows come home. they mean nothing to the wealthy wearer who just wants to spend money and flaunt. most of the time the wearer doesn't even use 99.99% of the features. if it's just to tell time, a cheap watch will do. if it is like a bling for flashing, nothing beats a difficult-to-pronounce franco-swiss luxury brand with its head-turning artwork and exquisite details. and frankly, these folks who wear them don't and can't even tell time. time is irrelevant to them. by the way, the most precise time is time of day from your network-based system clock on your 4g smartphone. :p