• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is it worth to pay for a Grand Seiko

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Man, this SBGJ001 GMT with Hi-Beat 36,000vph looks great, love the dial. (I'm learning a thing or two now)

Though the name sounds the same its unfair to compare the seikos with the Rolex as the look is entirely different.
The leather one maybe you want to compare with Rolex Cellini range and the steel strap can compare with an ordinary oyster like the explorer 1 and not rugged Rolex sports with bezels and whatnot

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Mine is the cheap, cheap one... It was all I could afford 30 years ago.

Still going strong.... $600 servicing every 5 years so you never actually make any money.

Oyster_Perpetual_560.jpg

As a teenager, when I was helping my uncle at his watch store at People's Park Complex, that same Rolex (model 6694) was about S$300

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Though the name sounds the same its unfair to compare the seikos with the Rolex as the look is entirely different.
The leather one maybe you want to compare with Rolex Cellini range and the steel strap can compare with an ordinary oyster like the explorer 1 and not rugged Rolex sports with bezels and whatnot

I think there's really no point to compare these two brands against each other they are just so different in terms of market positioning. Let them stand on their own merits.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
it is not easy to maintain a watch strap made of leather.

It's impossible to "maintain" in hot, humid Singapore. You wear a leather strap still it smells so bad you have to get a new one.

I have to agree its virtually impossible to maintain leather straps and also out humid and hot weather make it worst. That's why I cannot remember when was the last time I have a leather strap watch however don't they look elegant? Maybe good to use them for evening wear but then it'll befeat the purpose of having a day to day wearable watch. Have to consider this seriously.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have to agree its virtually impossible to maintain leather straps and also out humid and hot weather make it worst. That's why I cannot remember when was the last time I have a leather strap watch however don't they look elegant? Maybe good to use them for evening wear but then it'll befeat the purpose of having a day to day wearable watch. Have to consider this seriously.

Buy a watch with a steel bracelet for day-to-day wear, but elegant enough to put on a leather strap for special evenings out. You'll have to change straps though; not too difficult – 5 min job.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Man, this SBGJ001 GMT with Hi-Beat 36,000vph looks great, love the dial. (I'm learning a thing or two now)

Yes, this is the famous 'sunburst' dial. Compare it with the 'sunburst' on a deep green dial on the GS Hi-Beat GMT:

_img.jpg

And the 'snowflake' dial on the GS Spring Drive:

Grand-Seiko-Snowflake-620x600.jpg

When it comes to dial work, GS is second to none, surpassing Rolex and on a par with Lange and Patek. Look at the dauphine hands and hour markers: the sharp bevels, the highly finished zaratsu polish, perfectly placed markers – you'd be hard-pressed to find a Swiss watch that matches up to GS's finishing.

There are several high-end Swiss manufactures that may be more artistic (guilloché, perlage) in their craftsmanship but none can match GS's perfection when it comes to finishing the dial, hands, markers and case.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I am very happy in my search for knowledge on the Grand Seiko. It had led me to a shocking discovery that Seiko able to build such a watch - Credo
[video=youtube;qQYF_DU72vw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQYF_DU72vw[/video]

Such beauty

Read here written in 2006 that it was going for 15million yen - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQYF_DU72vw

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Ok guys here's the deal. In Singapore Thong Sia is the main importer or rather sole distributor, they appointed City Chain to handle this brand. It is almost impossible to get it else where.

List prices in Singapore and Thailand is almost the same which is about 20-30% more expensive than in Japan. City Chain said that they can give 10% discount for common models while limited watches no discounts.

In Thailand one can easily get 20% discount this make Thailand cheaper than Singapore but still somewhat more expensive than in Japan. During watch fairs one can get as much as 35% discount however I believe if one is persistent enough one should be able to get 30%n discount during non-fair period so if you are coming to Thailand for holiday and also love this watch can consider to buy here on top of that as a tourist can get rebate of about 6% from VAT at the airport.

KopiO

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok guys here's the deal. In Singapore Thong Sia is the main importer or rather sole distributor, they appointed City Chain to handle this brand. It is almost impossible to get it else where.

List prices in Singapore and Thailand is almost the same which is about 20-30% more expensive than in Japan. City Chain said that they can give 10% discount for common models while limited watches no discounts.

In Thailand one can easily get 20% discount this make Thailand cheaper than Singapore but still somewhat more expensive than in Japan. During watch fairs one can get as much as 35% discount however I believe if one is persistent enough one should be able to get 30%n discount during non-fair period so if you are coming to Thailand for holiday and also love this watch can consider to buy here on top of that as a tourist can get rebate of about 6% from VAT at the airport.

In SG, you can see/buy GS at Seiko Boutique in Vivocity and at JEMS. Very limited range. Even in Japan, GS not extensively available at every retailer but in Japan can get at nearly 50% off compare to SG so the price difference can literally pay of for the trip to Japan itself :smile:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
In SG, you can see/buy GS at Seiko Boutique in Vivocity and at JEMS. Very limited range. Even in Japan, GS not extensively available at every retailer but in Japan can get at nearly 50% off compare to SG so the price difference can literally pay of for the trip to Japan itself :smile:

Thank you for the information. As mentioned Thong Sia is the sole agent and they appointed City Chain as their retail distributor. City Chain retail outlets for Grand Seiko are at Vivocity and JEMS as mentioned byKopiO.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Found a good video demonstrating the assembly of a GS with explanation.

This watch being assembled is a 9S85 calibre movement watch as I learned in Seiko term is a 36,000 beat per hour watch or Hi-Beat in Seiko marketing term. 36,000 is one of the highest beats as most high end watches are only 28,800 beats.

Very interesting video

[video=youtube;_NJOF9SWrzE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NJOF9SWrzE[/video]