• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is it worth to pay for a Grand Seiko

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Rolex is liquid cash.
Not only sell can pawn also. Gambling dens also take in.
When pawn during hard times....if can't redeem pawn ticket still can sell ifor cash.
I recommend you to tai shan pawnshop for best deal....forget about sim lian and bedok pawnshop although the latter takes in most other brands.
That said I'm a connoisseur. I only collect Rolex sports model and nothing else. The odd AP Roo also can.
No panerai for me though many say that is the new rolex

I think you meant Thai Sun or Thye Sun along Jln Besar and Kitchener near famous curry rice and opp Boutique Hotel.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think you meant Thai Sun or Thye Sun along Jln Besar and Kitchener near famous curry rice and opp Boutique Hotel.

Yes bro thanks for the correction.
IMHO they give the best valuation for rolexes.
If sell never ever sell to peng gee.....they are famous for slashing prices

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
From my observation, the atas bengs nowadays avoid Rolex. They buy watches whereby they arent able to pronounce the brand! The longer the brand name the better. They also know how to update and upgrade.

KopiO

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rolex is liquid cash.

.....l

I agree. That is also why I don't wear a Rolex when traveling in KL, Manila or Jakarta when I walk the streets. I literally can enjoy my GS anywhere. I don't care whether it is recognized or not; I wear for myself.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
If you don't belong to the "have it" club, and you wear a Rolex ......everyone knows/thinks it's a fake.

You wear a GS. And someone recognizes it as a GS. You have taste.

I equate Rolexes with Chivas Regals/Johnny Walkers. A GS is like a Samaroli (if you have never tried one ...well, that's you).

Hmmmmmm it seems like you have good taste

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You obviously do not appreciate watches but appreciate seafood. Others may have the complete opposite.

Seafood is just an illustration. My point is we have to see where we stand lor.
To a non multi millionaire in sg to own a ex watch or condo , car just does not make sense at all.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Better get Springdrive. That's the Lexus of watches imo.

Thank you. As I am new with Grand Seiko I've seen many writers here using the abbreviation GS, incidentally GS has been my fav car for the past 11 years for a salon car, a great car to enjoy.

JOKERCHEW

Alfrescian
Loyal

Watches, ..... such a beautiful thread.
Long ago, i owned a few, namely Casio G-Shock, Citizen, Pagol.

then i started crazy collecting Swatch watches of limited editions.

the only Swiss brand i have now is a TAG Heuer and Michel Herbelin.
(all below $500, bought during the 90's).

KopiO

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmmmmmm it seems like you have good taste

Thank you. I may have exaggerated a bit but a Rolex is like a JW Blue Label but I sincerely prefers even the Hakushu 12 to it. Let alone a Hakushu 17. The GS ranges from the Hakushu 12. Whereas the run of the mill JWs are like the Tudors and the usual Seikos are like the Suntories.

NanoSpeed

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you. As I am new with Grand Seiko I've seen many writers here using the abbreviation GS, incidentally GS has been my fav car for the past 11 years for a salon car, a great car to enjoy.

If you insert a "M" in between, it's the abbreviations for my favorite and Singapore most promising politician. Also GoldenDragon's future boss.

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I like a watch that reflects who I am.

TagH1.jpg

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes bro thanks for the correction.
IMHO they give the best valuation for rolexes.
If sell never ever sell to peng gee.....they are famous for slashing prices

Correct. Highest valuation. At least 5-8% more.

Peng Kwee is the worst. Their MO is to employ SYTs to shortchange customers. I believe Kheks dominate this biz.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Thank you. I may have exaggerated a bit but a Rolex is like a JW Blue Label but I sincerely prefers even the Hakushu 12 to it. Let alone a Hakushu 17. The GS ranges from the Hakushu 12. Whereas the run of the mill JWs are like the Tudors and the usual Seikos are like the Suntories.

Seems like you're a whiskey guy. I'm very new, started whiskey exactly a year ago. Last trip back here was introduced to the Laphroaig for the first time, tried and love it, if you've not tried it please do, one of the best I've tasted though I have no idea of the brand before.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Even the Westerners are beginning to recognize that GS is on a par with (some say better) the finest Swiss watchmaking:

Grand Seiko: Already Big In Japan And Getting Bigger Near You

The annual Swiss Chronometer Trials held by the Neuchatel and Geneva Observatories were dominated by the Swiss watchmakers until Seiko entered in 1963. They didn't too well in the first few years, but by the late sixties they were dominating every category and beating the Swiss at their own game that the Swiss cancelled the trials for good by 1968. They'd just lost too much face, losing to an oriental nation with a young watchmaking tradition.

Explaining Seiko's Legendary History In Swiss Chronometer Trials, With Live Pictures Of Its Landmark Astronomical Observatory Chronometer

Thanks to your links I've just got time to look into them. Very interesting. I'm totally sold.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Was wondering for those thinking of getting a Grand Seiko or any expensive watch, do you intend to use it everyday, or only on special occasions. or keep it locked up at home ?

Wear them everyday interchange not special occasions. Have to keep them locked up in safe of course.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
The GS GMT probably the most classy 'GMT' watch out there:

sbgm021_a_large.jpeg

The Rolex GMT Master, while a classic, looks rugged but is a lot less elegant:

gmt2.jpg

Man, this SBGJ001 GMT with Hi-Beat 36,000vph looks great, love the dial. (I'm learning a thing or two now)