• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is it worth to pay for a Grand Seiko

stuffycunt

Alfrescian
Loyal
want to howlian must wear lorlac. if you are boss then can bang the table harder to showoff your lorlac make your staff scared :biggrin:

jipun brand machiam half fuck ai kan buay kan. seiko sound like say kor (spoiled, grow fungus) :biggrin:

its like if want to drive, drive a ferrari or lambor....not maserati or porsche, machiam 2nd class brands. want to show off but people see liao only half impressed, inside their mind they thinking (wtf this fucker driving poor man sports car) :biggrin:

hehe, waiting to get flamed. no problem lah, bring it onnnnnnnnnnnnn :biggrin:

Last edited:

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
when you buy an exquisite luxury watch for flaunting and not just to tell time, it's a piece of jewelry and artwork on your hand. all the talk about technology, precision and workmanship are just analysis-paralysis until cows come home. they mean nothing to the wealthy wearer who just wants to spend money and flaunt. most of the time the wearer doesn't even use 99.99% of the features. if it's just to tell time, a cheap watch will do. if it is like a bling for flashing, nothing beats a difficult-to-pronounce franco-swiss luxury brand with its head-turning artwork and exquisite details. and frankly, these folks who wear them don't and can't even tell time. time is irrelevant to them. by the way, the most precise time is time of day from your network-based system clock on your 4g smartphone. :p

Wearing a fine handcrafted watch is not just about flashing your bling-bling and flaunting your wealth. It's the quiet satisfaction and pride of knowing that a lot of painstaking craft, tradition and artistry has gone into the manufacture of the watch you wear. And with every swing of your hand, you transfer kinetic energy to the mainspring and keep (and tell) time eternally, without any other external energy source. The GS is for the true horological connoisseur who appreciates the beauty of a lovingly crafted mechanical watch.

On the other hand, when you buy a jewel-studded timepiece you're just paying for the gems, no different from wearing a Chanel bracelet or a Bulgari necklace. Rich businessmen, gangsta rappers and Hollywood celebrities would fall into this category; the glittering Vacheron or Chopard would be their natural choice.

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal
My $2 digital lcd watch bought from Daiso a year ago is still working and very accurate. dun be idiots.

stuffycunt

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wearing a fine handcrafted watch is not just about flashing your bling-bling and flaunting your wealth. It's the quiet satisfaction and pride of knowing that a lot of painstaking craft, tradition and artistry has gone into the manufacture of the watch you wear. And with every swing of your hand, you transfer kinetic energy to the mainspring and keep (and tell) time eternally, without any other external energy source. The GS is for the true horological connoisseur who appreciates the beauty of a lovingly crafted mechanical watch.

On the other hand, when you buy a jewel-studded timepiece you're just paying for the gems, no different from wearing a Chanel bracelet or a Bulgari necklace. Rich businessmen, gangsta rappers and Hollywood celebrities would fall into this category; the glittering Vacheron or Chopard would be their natural choice.

aiya how siao one lah...all those fucking lau bengs cant even pronounce those watch names, simi boo kar lee, au lim mah. these cheebyes only want to buy to show off to their friends and to impress pickup girls

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

only asiatics with the background knowledge would highly regard a gs. the reality is almost all sinkie uncles with cash to spend would rather wear a lolex. it's branding and tradition. nothing seiko does (perfectly) will undo that. :p

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
only asiatics with the background knowledge would highly regard a gs. the reality is almost all sinkie uncles with cash to spend would rather wear a lolex. it's branding and tradition. nothing seiko does (perfectly) will undo that. :p

The awareness is growing, here and in the West. Even James Dowling, the veritable Rolex connoisseur and author of the authoritative The Best of Time Rolex: An Unauthorized History, has paid a visit to the Seiko factory and written a four-part account:

James goes to Japan: Seiko Factory Tour

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have Rolex. That makes me superior.

there's a silent pecking order on those hands. only the boss wears the most expensive and shiny lolex while the rest of his henchmen wear seiko. restaurant workers wear casio, and floor scrubbers wear nothing. i'm so inferior i only wear a made-in-china $20 watch on cruises as they remove all clocks from cruise ships except for the bridge. and yes, they sell $20 watches on deck for those who need to read time. :cool:

as you can see, it's off by 1 minute.

image.jpg

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The awareness is growing, here and in the West. Even James Dowling, the veritable Rolex connoisseur and author of the authoritative The Best of Time Rolex: An Unauthorized History, has paid a visit to the Seiko factory and written a four-part account:

about less than 6.9 years from now, all that will be a waste of time (no pun intended) and figments of past glories as apple takes the cake and dominates the smart-jewelry and timepiece market. old foggies who love old watches will die off and millenials who care shit about antiquated watches will rule. it's not a matter of whether it will happen, it's a matter of when.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

I have to say what you wrote is exactly how I feel about appreciating a simple item with no bells and whistles which is why I started the thread comparing Lexus and the other make of luxury cars. Many will not appreciate as many go with the masses.

The more I read here the more I'm convinced to have my first GS. Thanks.

NanoSpeed

Alfrescian
Loyal
I often hear people say why pay so much for a Lexus after all it's a Toyota should instead pay for a European car. So I'd like to ask is it worth paying good money for a "high-end" Seiko watch as in the Grand Seiko.

Forget about resale value assume you're not selling it, may I ask: if this is worth the money ; reliability ; after sales service ; perception etc

When you exclude "resale value" from your list of consideration, then any value that you ascribe to the watch becomes a matter of art and engineering.

When you say "worth paying good money", you are implying its resale value.

It depends on what you want in a watch. I read the last post by eatshitdie. I will have it pinned up on every thread about luxury timepieces.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
When you say "worth paying good money", you are implying its resale value.

Resale value has never been in my mind whenever I purchase anything except property, always believe that whats spent is written off and whats not in my pocket don't belong to me. I was implying the technology and accuracy behind it for the price to pay.

canonfairy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Resale value has never been in my mind whenever I purchase anything except property, always believe that whats spent is written off and whats not in my pocket don't belong to me. I was implying the technology and accuracy behind it for the price to pay.

Children-s-3D-font-b-Frog-b-font-Shape-Silicone-Band-Quartz-Analog-Slap-font-b.jpg

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

Froggy... "worth" and "value" is a very personal thing.

My friend has $3000 bottles of wine in his purpose built wine cellar built below ground level. The customised cellar and humidity/temperature control system alone cost him tens of thousands.

I told him he's nuts but the whole set up and the wine and the consumption of these wines with "special" friends on "special" occasions brings him great joy and satisfaction so he feels that it is well worth all the money.

However it's a huge waste of money in my eyes because all wine does is make me sleepy and gives me a headache the next morning.

If a Grand Seiko makes you happy, go for it. You can't take your money with you but you can certainly use it to live a satisfying life.

As for me I'm looking forward to owning a Fortuner to take me from A to B.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

Have to agree with you on this. A Rolex everywhere in Thailand, Indonesia, Tsaiwan and China (the areas I'm more familiar with) is a highly regarded timepiece regardless of the model even the cheapest one.