• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Hri Kumar - DBSS scheme should be scrapped

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I was struck by a letter to ST’s Forum Page a couple of days ago. The writer had mistakenly transferred $3,000 from his bank account to another account. He expressed his frustration that his bank could not help him recover his money as the recipient objected to returning the sum. This saga has apparently been going on for 2 years.

The law is clear – if you send money to someone by mistake, you are entitled to recover it. The problem is that the bank is in no position to determine if a mistake had occurred. For example, the sender may well have intended the transfer, but later changed his mind. How is the bank to know who is correct? The recipient has rights too.

The problem should be resolved by the Courts. Therein lies the problem. I suspect that the sender did not go to Court because the legal costs would have been prohibitive, given the sum involved. So, he wanted the bank to provide a quicker and cheaper solution – which the bank could not. This is not an uncommon problem. I often meet residents asking for government agencies to intervene and help them with disputes they have with third parties, and are frustrated when they are asked to turn to the Courts.

What does this have to do with DBSS flats?

The same issue was evident in the exchange in Parliament yesterday relating to defects in DBSS flats. Questions were raised on the quality of finishes and what HDB was doing to resolve disputes between buyers and developers. Parliament was told that HDB would do its best to work with both sides to resolve disputes. But the real problem was not addressed.

In a sale of DBSS units, the buyer enters into a contract directly with the developer. The HDB is not a party. So, while HDB will do its best, what happens when disputes cannot be resolved? The Minister of State said in Parliament that buyers have legal recourse. He is correct, but that is where we run into the same problem. How many buyers have the time and resources to sue? And the claims of each buyer may not be significant, and legal proceedings therefore not economical. So, owners will naturally demand that HDB lean on the developer to get things done. But there may well be cases where the buyer is unreasonable or liability is difficult to determine. If the developer digs in its heels and maintains it has complied with the contract, there is little HDB can legally do. The developer also has rights.

What is the solution? I think issues of public housing warrant a different approach. One way would be for HDB to mandate that the sale contract include a simple dispute resolution mechanism, where all disputes between buyer and developer can be adjudicated in a simple, quick, and less formal way by experienced professionals. The HDB can facilitate this and keep costs low. The adjudicator can direct the developer to effect repairs or make compensation, or rule that the buyer’s complaints are unreasonable. There will be more transparency and less frustration.

I hope this will be considered should HDB decide to re-instate the DBSS program. My greater wish is that the program be shelved permanently, but that is a different story.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/hri-kumar/the-real-issue-with-dbss/912506208795977

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
this bugger obviously is causing problem to the money making routes of many MPs and ministers... the thorn need to be removed from the flesh

dancingshoes

Alfrescian
Loyal
the developer is to be blamed. i spoke to one of those construction workers involved at the construction site near my place and they told me that they are paid $4 per hour. do you see how these tiong workers are ripped off!!!

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In outsourcing such projects, HDB should at least have the moral responsibility to ensure that standards are met.
By washing their hands off just like that, it is obvious that the PAP does not give a hoot about anything else.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In outsourcing such projects, HDB should at least have the moral responsibility to ensure that standards are met.
By washing their hands off just like that, it is obvious that the PAP does not give a hoot about anything else.

The Population White Paper, and the HDB building spree immediately after its announcement, may also have something to do with it. :wink:

tanakow

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is precisely what LTA is doing with respect to SMRT. Anything wrong with MRT, LTA can act blur.

Sad to say, this is how PAP govt operates.

tanakow

Alfrescian
Loyal
As a digression, this is what the PAP govt has been trying to do. Make the court procedure so exorbitant that the poor will think twice to sue.
I was struck by a letter to ST’s Forum Page a couple of days ago. The writer had mistakenly transferred $3,000 from his bank account to another account. He expressed his frustration that his bank could not help him recover his money as the recipient objected to returning the sum. This saga has apparently been going on for 2 years.

The law is clear – if you send money to someone by mistake, you are entitled to recover it. The problem is that the bank is in no position to determine if a mistake had occurred. For example, the sender may well have intended the transfer, but later changed his mind. How is the bank to know who is correct? The recipient has rights too.

The problem should be resolved by the Courts. Therein lies the problem. I suspect that the sender did not go to Court because the legal costs would have been prohibitive, given the sum involved. So, he wanted the bank to provide a quicker and cheaper solution – which the bank could not. This is not an uncommon problem. I often meet residents asking for government agencies to intervene and help them with disputes they have with third parties, and are frustrated when they are asked to turn to the Courts.

What does this have to do with DBSS flats?

The same issue was evident in the exchange in Parliament yesterday relating to defects in DBSS flats. Questions were raised on the quality of finishes and what HDB was doing to resolve disputes between buyers and developers. Parliament was told that HDB would do its best to work with both sides to resolve disputes. But the real problem was not addressed.

In a sale of DBSS units, the buyer enters into a contract directly with the developer. The HDB is not a party. So, while HDB will do its best, what happens when disputes cannot be resolved? The Minister of State said in Parliament that buyers have legal recourse. He is correct, but that is where we run into the same problem. How many buyers have the time and resources to sue? And the claims of each buyer may not be significant, and legal proceedings therefore not economical. So, owners will naturally demand that HDB lean on the developer to get things done. But there may well be cases where the buyer is unreasonable or liability is difficult to determine. If the developer digs in its heels and maintains it has complied with the contract, there is little HDB can legally do. The developer also has rights.

What is the solution? I think issues of public housing warrant a different approach. One way would be for HDB to mandate that the sale contract include a simple dispute resolution mechanism, where all disputes between buyer and developer can be adjudicated in a simple, quick, and less formal way by experienced professionals. The HDB can facilitate this and keep costs low. The adjudicator can direct the developer to effect repairs or make compensation, or rule that the buyer’s complaints are unreasonable. There will be more transparency and less frustration.

I hope this will be considered should HDB decide to re-instate the DBSS program. My greater wish is that the program be shelved permanently, but that is a different story.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/hri-kumar/the-real-issue-with-dbss/912506208795977