• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Shitty Times - New look, Same shit, Each day

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Their own annual reports confirmed the decline — from 390,363 printed copies of Straits Times (ST) circulated daily at the turn of the millennium to 365,800 in 2010. In 2012, circulation for printed versions of ST shrunk further to 355,700. The Audit Bureau of Circulations (ABC) statistics has it that average net circulation dropped to 322,056 in 2013. So what makes editor Warren Fernandez think a cosmetic revamp ("New look, new ideas, same Singapore soul") will reverse the inevitable ?

Traditional media is going the way of the dodo. Digital versions may recoup some of the lost sales, but the message is still more important than the platform. No point reinventing the wheel when same crap is being peddled.

It's worse when writers like Rachel Chang display open bias in flagellating the opposition political parties. She may be targetting the wrong group when she lashed out with words like "cronyisms and opportunism are not illegal". Look who has a wife, an uncle and relatives ensconced in privileged and financially lucrative appointments. She opined that it would be foolhardy for the electorate to vote in another opposition group to run a town council, whilst indirectly providing justification for them to do so. People in glass houses really shouldn't throw stones.

When Zakaria reminded the prime minister of Singapore's dismal standing in freedom houses rankings, Lee dismissed the shameful status quo with "They don’t like us, fair enough, doesn’t mean we are in the wrong". It looks like Chang is not the only one in need of another wise saying, this time from Jonathan Swift in his ‘Polite Conversation’ and first attested in the United States in the 1713 "Works of Thomas Chalkley":

‘There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know.’

http://singaporedesk.blogspot.sg/2015/07/new-look-same-crap.html

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Among the various organizations and institutions in Singapore, my observation tells me that the Straits Times is the least professional. It does not function as a newspaper to inform as accurately as it can what's going on, but is more a newsletter for the policy makers. I came to this conclusion way back in the 1970s. If the government has a policy it wished to enact or pursue, the ST will fully support them. It has never voiced an opinion that runs counter to what the government wishes to pursue.

And it is one of the few English dailies that does not carry a crossword puzzle. Pretty shitty. I don't read the ST, well, at least not regularly.

Cheers!

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is the true legacy of LKY - a docile and compliant press.

Once upon a time Singapore had a vibrant and diverse press. Then came along LKY... and the rest is history. :cool:

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
Declining readership and profit is forcing SPH to diversify into properties. The big problem with the MSM is there is too much restrictions and no one is doing what right for long term viability of ST but more preoccupy in protecting their rice bowls by toeing the party line. Hopefully by the time ST goes bankrupt, they would have retired or seek greener pasture elsewhere. It the same case for Mediacorps.

kopiOuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
So sad, so many of you are illiterate and retard.

The ST is one of the most honest newspapers in the world!!!

Come on!!!

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Something is brewing within the govt. How has it come to be that such a damning report is being released in an election year??? :eek:

Is a breakaway faction starting to show its hand?

I fear for the future of my beloved PAP. :(