• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

GE akan datang...

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Max is 5-member GRC, gone are the days with those super-GRC :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

AngMoKio & PasirRis-Punggol GRC affected :p:p:p

LHL standing in an SMC is it? Teehee...

Last edited:

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Breaking: Smaller GRCs and at least 12 SMCs. Why?

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/electoral-boundaries/1980260.html

[h=1]Electoral Boundaries Review Committee convened, PM Lee tells Parliament[/h]
  • POSTED: 13 Jul 2015 13:32

• Email
  • More Sharing Services More

• A
    • A

SINGAPORE: Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong has asked the Electoral Boundaries Review Committee to have smaller Group Representation Constituencies, and to have at least 12 Single Member Constituencies.

The committee was formed two months ago, the Prime Minister told Parliament on Monday (Jul 13).

Mr Lee said he asked the committee to consider the population shifts and housing developments since the last boundary delineation exercise.

He also asked the committee to have smaller GRCs, "so as to reduce the average size of the GRCs below five", and to have at least 12 SMCs.

"As per past practice, the committee is chaired by the Secretary to the Prime Minister. It is now in the midst of its deliberations and will make its recommendations to me when ready," he said.

SIGNAL OF AN UPCOMING GENERAL ELECTION?

The committee reviews and draws up the boundaries for election, and submits a report with its recommendations. The report, when released by the committee, is seen as one of the clearest signals that a General Election (GE) is around the corner.

The convening of the committee kickstarts a series of events that culminates in the nation heading to the polls. Singapore’s next GE must be held by January 2017.

The expected sequence of events is as follows:

1. Electoral Boundaries Review Committee convenes

2. Committee submits report with recommendations on electoral changes

In the lead-up to the two previous GEs in 2006 and 2011, the committee took about four months after being convened to issue its report.

3. Parliament dissolved

The Prime Minister may advise the President to dissolve Parliament by Proclamation in the Gazette before the expiry of its term. Once Parliament has been dissolved, the GE must be held within three months. In the last GE, the committee’s report was issued on Feb 24, 2011, and Parliament was dissolved on Apr 19, 2011.

4. President issues Writ of Election

The President, acting on the Prime Minister's advice, issues a Writ of Election. This will specify the date and location for the nomination of candidates.

5. Nomination Day takes place

Nomination Day, when prospective candidates submit their nomination papers, must take place between five days and one month after the Writ of Election is issued.

6. Polling Day

Polling Day must be held between 10 and 56 days after the Returning Officer publishes the Notice of Contested Elections after Nomination Day. For the 2011 GE, Cooling-Off Day, on the eve of Polling Day, was introduced, when candidates are banned from campaigning. This was instituted to give voters time to reflect and make their decision before going to the polls.

- CNA/cy

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
GE coming, PAP secretly set up committee to rig electoral boundaries 2 mths ago

Parliament: Electoral boundaries committee formed 2 months ago

SINGAPORE - The committee that reviews electoral boundaries was formed two months ago, a sign that the general election is round the corner.

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong announced the formation of the Electoral Boundaries Review Committee on Monday, in response to questions in Parliament.

The forming of the committee, which redraws constituency boundaries ahead of a general election, is the first formal step towards calling a GE.

Leading up to the polls in 2006 and 2011, the committee had taken four months to do its work before issuing its report.

While there is no fixed date for the election to be called after the report is submitted, it has taken as short as one day and as long as one month and 26 days in the past.

Mr Lee told the House that he had asked the Committee in its review to consider the population shifts and housing developments since the last boundary delineation exercise.

He also asked them to consider having smaller group representation constituencies, so as to reduce the average size of such constituencies to below five members, and have at least 12 single member constituencies. There are currently 15 group representation constituencies and 12 single-seat constituencies.

"As per past practice, the Committee is chaired by the Secretary to Prime Minister. It is now in the midst of its deliberations and will make its recommendations to me when it is ready," said Mr Lee.

He was responding to questions from People's Action Party MP Arthur Fong (West Coast GRC) and Non-Constituency MP Yee Jenn Jong of the Workers' Party on whether the committee has been formed.

Mr Lee added that he could not promise a minimum period between the publication of the report and the calling of a general election, which Mr Yee had asked for.

The reason is that "it depends very much on the exigencies of the situation, and ... on when elections become necessary," said the Prime Minister.

The committee's work is to split or shrink group representation constituencies, and absorb or create more single-member constituencies, based largely on population shifts.

It is appointed by the Prime Minister and is usually made up of five civil servants.

Mr Yee had asked if the committee's members can be drawn from various political parties as well, as it was done before Singapore became independent.

Mr Lee, said the committee has, for many years, comprised civil servants with experience and domain knowledge.

This allows them to make considered decisions on how to divide up the constituencies", taking into account population shifts and housing developments in Singapore, and prevents "complete upheaval" each time the boundaries are redrawn, he added.

"As for bringing political parties in, I'm not sure that's an entirely good idea," he said, adding that this is the practice in the United States.

In America, members of the House of Representatives decide on the demarcation of electoral boundaries, said Mr Lee, and "what happens is they carve it up among themselves".

"It's a political deal. I think that's not a good arrangement. I think it's best we leave this to the civil servants to work at," he added.

Furthermore, Mr Lee said that he would leave the committee to decide whether it would open its meeting minutes to the public, as Mr Yee had requested.

But he added: "I don't believe that it is helpful to have every twist and turn in the minutes reported and published. I think the committee's report is the final word."

After the committee's report is released, Parliament is dissolved and the writ of election issued. Nomination Day - which must take place no earlier than five days and no later than one month after the writ is issued - then signals the start of the campaign period, leading up to Polling Day.

This process took between two and seven months in the past GEs.

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: GE coming, PAP secretly set up committee to rig electoral boundaries 2 mths ago

/

"This process took between Two and seven months in the past GEs"

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-07-13-14-11-59_1.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-07-13-14-11-59_1.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 1,916

rotiprata

Alfrescian
Loyal
he's testing our PLSE maths....
reduce ave size of GRC to below 5 = 4, 3, 2... (max 5; wrong)
have at least 12 SMCs = 12, 13, 14, 15.....85 ??

Max is 5-member GRC, gone are the days with those super-GRC :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
AngMoKio & PasirRis-Punggol GRC affected :p:p:p
LHL standing in an SMC is it? Teehee...

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I don't understand why Gay Loong and the PAP has to be so secretive. The committee formed 2 months ago and he is only revealing it after questions in Parliament? Seriously? He does know its taxpayer money paying for the committee?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't understand why Gay Loong and the PAP has to be so secretive. The committee formed 2 months ago and he is only revealing it after questions in Parliament? Seriously? He does know its taxpayer money paying for the committee?

明人不做暗事

Evil and conniving people do things in secret. :wink:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thank you for pointing out my mistake, so it's like an upheaval altogether!
I like that idea of a GRC of having max 4 members :p:p:p

In the spirit of ethnic and gender diversity, at least two slots will be taken up by a non-Chinese and a woman. :rolleyes:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In the spirit of ethnic and gender diversity, at least two slots will be taken up by a non-Chinese and a woman. :rolleyes:

don't be surprise when papig announce this new ruling as most other parties will also struggle to get woman candidates in addition to the minimum one minority candidate.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thank you for pointing out my mistake, so it's like an upheaval altogether!
I like that idea of a GRC of having max 4 members :p:p:p

did u notice that would mean aljunied grc got to chop off at least one member of parliament? kaki bukit high chance kenna chop.