• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

General Tan: Some Do Karang Guni For Exercise And Extra Monies Only! Don't Want Help!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
While I often chat with them when I meet them, I haven't gone so far up the value chain to know the middle man and the whole set-up. I was most happy to join a group of young Singaporeans from Youth Corp on a project they initiated - to get first hand insight into the lives of elderly cardboard collectors: what motivated them to do what they do; and the challenges they face. The youngsters devoted their weekends over a 2-month period to befriend the cardboard aunties and uncles on the streets in the Jalan Besar area, and spent time talking to them to understand what they are going through in life.

11705290_944031605639615_3379827741789641932_n.jpg

11059888_944031712306271_2729831756154542018_n.jpg

They shared with me that they were surprised by their own findings! The normal perception that all cardboard collectors are people who are unable to take care of themselves financially is not really true. There will be some who do this as their main source of income. Some do so to supplement what they have. Some prefer to earn extra monies, treat it as a form of exercise and activity rather than being cooped up at home. They do this to remain independent, so that they can have dignity and not have to ask their families for help.

For members of the public, the simplest thing that one can do for these people is to talk to them to understand them. More often than not, people make judgements without finding out the facts of the matter, in this instance, the stigma surrounding cardboard collectors. But of course, for those who genuinely need financial help because they are unable to find other jobs to supplement their income from cardboard collecting, the government will do what it can to help these people. If you know of individuals who need help, do let us know.

I'd like to thank Zaihan Mohamed Yusof who started it all with his article http://www.tnp.sg/news/when-cardboard-gold in The New Paper. The youngsters picked up on the idea and followed up. Cheers to Koh Cheng Jun (Tm Lead) and Muhammad Syazwan Bin Mohamed Suhri who were with me on the ground, and thanks to the team who shared their thoughts with me...Goh Pei Yi Valerie, Janarthanan Ahalya, Khoo Lay Keat Bryan, Lee Jun Xian, Serena Mok Jia Xin.

Inspired by you guys for taking that extra step. We all can too!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.944031585639617.1073741971.182928775083239&type=3

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: General Tan: Some Do Karang Guni For Exercise And Extra Monies Only! Don't Want H

This chap is truly a first class idiot.

Sir_Fcuk

Lunch Corporal
Loyal
Re: General Tan: Some Do Karang Guni For Exercise And Extra Monies Only! Don't Want H

General Tan, why douch you try live one month on just cardboard collecting? Cannot even pay your petrol bills sial

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Maybe he should interview the prostitutes at geylang next and ask them why they walk the streets for money,why they sway their bodies thru the night.

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

FOOking dickhead
ask the parents and grandparesnts of all politicians to do the same

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal

While I often chat with them when I meet them, I haven't gone so far up the value chain to know the middle man and the whole set-up. I was most happy to join a group of young Singaporeans from Youth Corp on a project they initiated - to get first hand insight into the lives of elderly cardboard collectors: what motivated them to do what they do; and the challenges they face. The youngsters devoted their weekends over a 2-month period to befriend the cardboard aunties and uncles on the streets in the Jalan Besar area, and spent time talking to them to understand what they are going through in life.

11705290_944031605639615_3379827741789641932_n.jpg

11059888_944031712306271_2729831756154542018_n.jpg

They shared with me that they were surprised by their own findings! The normal perception that all cardboard collectors are people who are unable to take care of themselves financially is not really true. There will be some who do this as their main source of income. Some do so to supplement what they have. Some prefer to earn extra monies, treat it as a form of exercise and activity rather than being cooped up at home. They do this to remain independent, so that they can have dignity and not have to ask their families for help.

For members of the public, the simplest thing that one can do for these people is to talk to them to understand them. More often than not, people make judgements without finding out the facts of the matter, in this instance, the stigma surrounding cardboard collectors. But of course, for those who genuinely need financial help because they are unable to find other jobs to supplement their income from cardboard collecting, the government will do what it can to help these people. If you know of individuals who need help, do let us know.

I'd like to thank Zaihan Mohamed Yusof who started it all with his article http://www.tnp.sg/news/when-cardboard-gold in The New Paper. The youngsters picked up on the idea and followed up. Cheers to Koh Cheng Jun (Tm Lead) and Muhammad Syazwan Bin Mohamed Suhri who were with me on the ground, and thanks to the team who shared their thoughts with me...Goh Pei Yi Valerie, Janarthanan Ahalya, Khoo Lay Keat Bryan, Lee Jun Xian, Serena Mok Jia Xin.

Inspired by you guys for taking that extra step. We all can too!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.944031585639617.1073741971.182928775083239&type=3

I confess. I oso collect cardboards and paper stuff. Every Mon, Wed and Fri. Tues & Thurs not free- got my regular golf game. Those days my son not using the beemer so I can collect and still make it to fav pub for drinks later!

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[video=youtube;TEPKD6Uw56I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEPKD6Uw56I[/video]

That army general chap should also be interviewing this lady instead of being selective for his wayang show.

xingguy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[video=youtube;TEPKD6Uw56I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEPKD6Uw56I[/video]

That army general chap should also be interviewing this lady instead of being selective for his wayang show.

Shame on you, Tan Chuan-Jin.

Instead of looking into the real reasons why these old folks are spending their sunset years collecting cupboards, you now spin in into "some prefer to earn extra monies, treat it as a form of exercise and activity rather than being cooped up at home. They do this to remain independent, so that they can have dignity and not have to ask their families for help."

Confirm plus chop, this old lady will not vote for PAP.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TEPKD6Uw56I?list=UURg3i3Jj_Z2Z5tJnyFddIUQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[0:04]
最利害就是中国人,其他人不会这么跟我们抢。
Translated: The worst kind are the PRCs. Other people would not snatch from us.

[0:17]
哇,现在中国人呵,横行霸道。地盘啊你知道吗,那边,地盘啊。他跟你讲那边地盘啊。
我们新加坡是靠他。你知道吗? 你们新加坡人靠我的国家。靠你的啊,你爽吗?你不爽吗。
地盘耶,你看那边商联会,请来中国人。 那边印度庙,摆多么多。垃圾桶摆那么多。
这个是我的地盘 你不可以来捡。垃圾桶都不可以。什么意思.
政府给他们来这边抢我们的饭碗.
Lady interjected: 他们是一个集团吗?
不是集团.他们来这边劳工.我带你去看,要不要.我带你们去看.

Translated: Whoa, now PRCs are big bullies. Turf, you know. There, they tell you that there is their turf.
Singapore has to depend on them, you know? You Singaporeans have to rely on our (PRC) country. Depend on them, you happy? Of course, you are not happy.
Turf, you see there the Chinatown Business Association brings in PRC. The Indian temple have lots of cardboard, dustbins full of it.
This is my turf, you cannot come here to pick, even those in the dustbin is forbidden. What is the meaning of this.
Government allow them to come here and snatch our rice bowl.
[Lady interjected:] Are they from a syndicate?
Not a syndicate. There are here to work. Do you want me bring you to see. I'll bring you to see.

[1:33]
我们就是很恨这些。抢我们穷人的东西,饭碗还不算还欺负我们。
欸,你们政府养你吗。整天讲你们的政府养你吗。你们的政府养你啦,可是我们的政府没有养我垒。我要靠自己生活垒。

Translated: These are the kind that we hate most. Rob from us poor people, snatch our rice bowl and still want to bully us.
A, your government feeds you. Whole day tells us that your governmednt feeds you. Your government feed you lah, but my government don't me leh. I have to depend on myself for my livelihood leh.

[2:41]
他们的。那些中国人的。我们不可以进去。不可以拿他的。他现在留很多,早上几桶在这边。这里是他的地盘,这些就是他的地盘。哦,我在这边捡,他讲这里是我的地盘,你不可以来捡。
[Male interjected:] 有这样的啊!
当然有这样啦。我们给他欺负到好像多久了。还有这边,那个卖佛的,帮他靶水啊。纸皮收收收拿一大堆,给他垒。

Translated: It's theirs. Those PRCs. We cannot go in. Cannot take theirs. Now he keeps alot, morning a few bins are there. Here is his turf, these are his turf. I was picking here, he says this is my turf, you cannot come here to pick.

[7:54]
就是这样,我看到很心痛啊。我们新加坡人为什么给外地人欺负。没有人帮我们垒。见议员,写信给移民厅,叫议员写信,移民厅还是一样这样做。而且更利害,他更有永久居民,他来旅游的证件拿来的垒,旅游证件变成永久居民, 哇,拼命来这边捡。那些东西本
来是我们穷人捡的耶。他来了全部归他的了。全部归他。我们身为新加坡人很丢脸啊。

Translated: This is why, my heart aches when I see this. Why are we Singaporeans being bully by foreigners. Nobody can help us. I had seen MP, write letter to ICA, ask MP to write, ICA still continue to do as status quo. It gets worst, now he has got PR. He comes with a tourist document with tourist document. Travel document now becomes PR. Whao, now he desperately comes here to pick. Originally those are things picked by the poor. After his arrival, everything belongs him. Everything belongs to him. This is very shameful as a Singaporean.

[8:51]
我不怕政府人讲。你们对我们这样。我们也是没瓣法。 我现在只能讲。
Translated: I am not scared of government officials. This is how they treat us, we have no choice. For now, I can only talk.

冰冻三尺 非一日之寒
Three feet of frozen snow cannot be caused by a day's cold weather.

Alfrescian
Loyal

Shame on you, Tan Chuan-Jin.

Instead of looking into the real reasons why these old folks are spending their sunset years collecting cupboards, you now spin in into "some prefer to earn extra monies, treat it as a form of exercise and activity rather than being cooped up at home. They do this to remain independent, so that they can have dignity and not have to ask their families for help."

I'd ask a skinny 76 years old women at my neighborhood collecting cardboard and empty can drink, etc. and she told me her only married daughter has 3 kids and not earning enough to support her. Sad case :( It may be good that this video clip be sent to the persons concern.

xingguy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I'd ask a skinny 76 years old women at my neighborhood collecting cardboard and empty can drink, etc. and she told me her only married daughter has 3 kids and not earning enough to support her. Sad case :( It may be good that this video clip be sent to the persons concern.

A lot of netizens have posted constructive comments/feedbacks to them, be on their facebook or other means.

To them, you are just being negative at best, at worst you are attacking them and your posting gets deleted.

Time to wake up. Do not even harbour any thoughts that the scums in white would change.

Just VTO.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal

FOOking dickhead
ask the parents and grandparesnts of all politicians to do the same

His descendants will b borned crippled n helpless n seeking used cardboard tampon n tossues for fun 365 24 7

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

The territory belongs to the strongest and the fiercest. It's has always been like that.

Alfrescian
Loyal

A lot of netizens have posted constructive comments/feedbacks to them, be on their facebook or other means.

To them, you are just being negative at best, at worst you are attacking them and your posting gets deleted.

Time to wake up. Do not even harbour any thoughts that the scums in white would change.

Just VTO.

To me is not a matter of VTO or not. My concern is there are really many of these old folks are suffering because of not sufficient social welfare provided for them. I believe also that this saying "when you become a ghost you'll know how to haunt people" which means anyone without passions and loving kindness will not be the same :smile:

Alfrescian
Loyal

The territory belongs to the strongest and the fiercest. It's has always been like that.

Bro. John, for this I do not fully agree with you. If SG allows the foreginers to occupy the place which belong to our and bully us how can we tolerate it and eventually if this continues it will be worst.

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal

The Grass Looters are good for Nothing than to PorLumPar!!

These poor Old ladies and Men are in their sunset years you think they want to

exercise digging into large Trash to look collecting card board and drink cans??

Please! please!! back door minister do you home work, you should a Note

book write/collect their names and send them monthly funds for them to survive

rather than go around talking nonsense, what exercise?? They have got no alternative

no like you earning millions and over looking these matters~~!!

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal

This general tan is an idiot.

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal

paging for Aung San Suu Chee..., paging fir Aung San Suu Chee...