• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How to pick a good durian

duluxe

Alfrescian
Loyal
How to see differences between the top grades like mao shan wang, D24, XO, red prawn? How to see a durian is bad?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
How to see differences between the top grades like mao shan wang, D24, XO, red prawn? How to see a durian is bad?

Just buy those already opened and wrapped in plastic. You can pick them up, spell them, press the flesh a little. U can tell whether its gunee bak or even smell if its the bitter type. And best of all, if you need only a durian fix, you just buy that package, without having to buy the whole durian.

duluxe

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just buy those already opened and wrapped in plastic. You can pick them up, spell them, press the flesh a little. U can tell whether its gunee bak or even smell if its the bitter type. And best of all, if you need only a durian fix, you just buy that package, without having to buy the whole durian.

Usually sellers packed those rejected ones into packages. I think you advice is no good.

looneytan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Usually sellers packed those rejected ones into packages. I think you advice is no good.

not really lah, I saw them opened new one by one and packed in plastic wrapper

8052329056_cfe8b40177_b.jpg

blissquek

Alfrescian
Loyal

In Malaysia if you are buying from a stall...important tips for you in order not to be cheated .

Normally you will pick and choose the ones you want to buy and hand over to the seller.
The vendor then places those you have selected in a big brown bag.
He will then weigh them and tell you the weight and the cost.

Now watch this part...he will then bring the brown bag of durians and tie it tightly with a gunny string.
But this he will do it by placing the bag behind the counter and pretend to do the tieing.

What he then do is to swap the brown bag with another bag that are filled with rejects and hand over to you.
Unknowingly you take the bag and drive off, only to discover this scam when you reach Singapore .

What can you do,,?? Drive all the way back to Batu Pahat and confront him the next one or two day later..??

You can only treat it as a lesson learnt.

prancku

Alfrescian
Loyal
:biggrin:

8052329056_cfe8b40177_b.jpg

I do not eat much durians, but experience tells me that once a fruit is opened and exposed (for example oranges or apples that have been cut) to the air, the quality of the fruit will deteriorate quickly. More so when packed in styroform and sealed with a layer of plastic, which naturally raises the temperature that will allow germs to multiply and spoil the fruit. While some will still or seem to taste nice, the taste of virginal durian fruit freshly opened and out of its shell will beat the wrapped ones any time!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Don't you like cherries too? ....:rolleyes::biggrin:

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal

Usually those customer reject they put one side and later open again and pack in wrapper, so how do you know they open new one, the opening may be small and out of your view.

nirvarq

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
1. Hold with 2 hands, open one side of palm a bit and smell, not too greenish smell but with a tat of fragrant means it's ripe. After few times you'll know.
2. Shake the Durian slightly if no movement it's not properly ripe yet. Slight movement is best too ripe or watery soft also no movement.

Most sellers not happy when they see you shaking the Durian..... lol

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
:biggrin:

I do not eat much durians, but experience tells me that once a fruit is opened and exposed (for example oranges or apples that have been cut) to the air, the quality of the fruit will deteriorate quickly. More so when packed in styroform and sealed with a layer of plastic, which naturally raises the temperature that will allow germs to multiply and spoil the fruit. While some will still or seem to taste nice, the taste of virginal durian fruit freshly opened and out of its shell will beat the wrapped ones any time!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Don't you like cherries too? ....:rolleyes::biggrin:

I eat a lot of durian. And I can tell you no matter what method you use, whether its to pick up the fruit and shake it, or smell it this way or that, its all a guesswork. The only real test on whether you have picked a good durian or not is when the fruit is actually opened and you can smell touch and taste it. I like my durian bitter or fu-yuk. Its my personal preference. If the durian is already opened and the fruits shrinkwrapped out there for me to pick up and smell, I can tell which is bitter and which is not. I then buy the bitter one, and it always tastes as good as it smells. I don't care whether it was someone's reject or not. As long as there are no fingerprints all over it (and you can tell that too when its opened like that for you), and the flesh is firm its all good to me. At the end of the day, the main goal of picking durian is to get what you want in a delicious experience. If you can get what you want and it tastes great in a shrink wrapped styrofoam container, I have no problems at all with that. I don't know what is all this virginal fruit you are talking about. You couldn't find 10 guys who can tell the difference between a fruit that has been opened and one that is in a shrinkwrapped container.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I suggest putting it in the freezer overnight, then transfer it to the fridge in the afternoon for consumption after dinner. Yum.

I have frozen durian before, and then eat it semi thawed. Its really good, like durian ice cream

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I learnt my lesson. I never buy from such mudland scums..

In Malaysia if you are buying from a stall...important tips for you in order not to be cheated .

Normally you will pick and choose the ones you want to buy and hand over to the seller.
The vendor then places those you have selected in a big brown bag.
He will then weigh them and tell you the weight and the cost.

Now watch this part...he will then bring the brown bag of durians and tie it tightly with a gunny string.
But this he will do it by placing the bag behind the counter and pretend to do the tieing.

What he then do is to swap the brown bag with another bag that are filled with rejects and hand over to you.
Unknowingly you take the bag and drive off, only to discover this scam when you reach Singapore .

What can you do,,?? Drive all the way back to Batu Pahat and confront him the next one or two day later..??

You can only treat it as a lesson learnt.

blissquek

Alfrescian
Loyal
I put them in the freezer. Best!

Best...take it in the original fruit condition...open the durian yourself and feel the thorn massaging your palms.

Even getting one or two tiny pricks in your hands will make your durian feasting tastier..

I can say that many in the Ivory Tower do not know how to pry open a durian fruit...