• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Who say Singapore Commando got no Malay?

Poomer

Alfrescian
Loyal
there were malay commandos in saf since early 90s lah. Lost count already.

Since when siah? I was in air force less than ten years ago, let's just put it this way la, they don't serve muslim food in the cookhouse. The only Malay guy was a FDS sargeant who tiakong was buddhist.

nanjingren

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, Lt-Col Syed Ibrahim. I remember him as Commandant at 2 PDF Training Centre in Sembawang. He tried to introduce the 'Diamond-shaped' defence doctrine to the PDF Command but was rejected.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Last time my unit non halal de. I know one army affiliated unit also non halal. With Indians yes.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

isn't he actually arab?

One way to tell if they are malay or arab or indian moose limps is by the name.

Names like syed, amir etc are not malay names. Sometimes you cannot tell by the face cos they are mixed with m&d but the name still indicates their ethnicity. Even though they are all muslims their names still indicate their ethnic group.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
isn't he actually arab?

Names like syed, amir etc are not malay names. Sometimes you cannot tell by the face cos they are mixed with m&d but the name still indicates their ethnicity. Even though they are all muslims their names still indicate their ethnic group.

From the little that I know, most Arab names have family or surnames, whereas the Malays do not have such family or surnames, such as Alsagoff (al sagoff), Aljuneid (al juneid).
Examples of Malay names are: Yahya bin Hussain; Mohammed Ali bin Mohammed Amin

kapkia

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
malay tak boleh pakai one lah... play guitar under void deck and disturb mei mei can lah

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Syed Ibrahim was an armoured officer, who was trained in Australia,
whereas Syed Hashim was the Commandant of SBMT.
I believe that both of them retired as LTC.

They are officers and gentlemen, trained at Malaysia's FMC.
One of my old officer friends from the first batch OCS, told me that, if Syed Ibrahim had chosen to stay with the Malaysian Armed Forces, he will definitely be a general.
Based on working as a subordinate officer for Syed Ibrahim ( and for those who know, he called me "Colonel" as a nickname, when he was a Major), he is an outstanding officer.

Syed Ibrahim armour officer trained in Aussieland? Really? He was a 2 SIR PC during the Konfrontasi. we didn't send armour officers to be trained in Australia back than. Syed was send to Australia to Portsea to train in the Australian version of OCS, Portsea was their SAFTI. Mostly armour officers were trained in Germany, Israel, India, etc. If he was trained as an amour officer, he must have been trained quite late in his career. Because he went back to Singapore and was commissioned as 2LT and assigned to 2 SIR. after that he progress thru a number of positions until he reached LTC and 3 SIB brigade commander. I have no recollection of him in any armour unit or as an armour appointment holder. Maybe I am wrong.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
isn't he actually arab?

southern "syeds" are very particular about who they get engaged to. They prefer another Sharifah or those with arab bloods.
northern syed on the other hand, totally assimilated into malay custom and tradition and not bothered with who they get married to.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Syed Ibrahim armour officer trained in Aussieland? Really? He was a 2 SIR PC during the Konfrontasi. we didn't send armour officers to be trained in Australia back than. Syed was send to Australia to Portsea to train in the Australian version of OCS, Portsea was their SAFTI. Mostly armour officers were trained in Germany, Israel, India, etc. If he was trained as an amour officer, he must have been trained quite late in his career. Because he went back to Singapore and was commissioned as 2LT and assigned to 2 SIR. after that he progress thru a number of positions until he reached LTC and 3 SIB brigade commander. I have no recollection of him in any armour unit or as an armour appointment holder. Maybe I am wrong.

You are not wrong.
But I recall that he was an Armour Officer, wearing a black beret.
I recall we had this discussion before in some other discussion thread re: Armour.
I am going to e-mail one of the my old buddies, from the first batch OCS, to ask about Syed Ibrahim.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
they should serve food suitable for vegetarians. That way, no discrimination against anyone.

You don't understand how fanatical some Malay Muslims today are about food. I've got Malay friends who refused to eat vegetarian food from a Buddhist vegetarian stall. Buddhist vegetarians are even stricter than Hindus – no onions, no garlic, no eggs.

It's a big joke – this obsessions with halal food. But some Malays get a taste of their own medicine: a Chinese Buddhist vegetarian visited her Malay colleague's house during Hari Raya but refused to touch any food or drink there because she was afraid that the utensils were contaminated by meat. LOL.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I emailed my first batch OCS friend, and the following is his response:

[ checked with Col Neo.

facts as follows:

Syed together with Col. Raymond Tan and Albert Tan raised the Armour Infantry Formation; the back-up for the Armour Formation.

then he went to Brunei in charge of our trg center for Jungle Warfare in Temburong.

returned and posted to SCSC as Instructor. then retired there after. ]