• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Woman spreads syphilis to newborn son after check-up blunder

NoLimit

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chinese woman spreads syphilis to newborn son after check-up blunder

Hospital did not tell her she was infected with the disease, mother says

PUBLISHED : Monday, 29 June, 2015, 9:30am
UPDATED : Monday, 29 June, 2015, 9:30am

Kathy Gao [email protected]

newborns.jpg

Newborn babies in a hospital in China. Photo: Xinhua

A woman gave birth to a baby boy who tested positive for syphilis after a Guangzhou hospital failed to inform the mother during her pregnancy that she was suffering from the disease.

The woman said she was not aware she had tested positive for the chronic bacterial disease during a prenatal check-up in the hospital in December, The Southern Metropolis News reported on Saturday.

Her doctor did not inform her of her condition and her medical report did not reflect anything abnormal, the woman told the newspaper.

Syphilis is a highly contagious disease spread primarily by sexual activity, but also congenitally by infection of a developing fetus.

The woman’s condition remained untreated throughout her pregnancy and no measures were taken to prevent the mother from transmitting the disease to her child.

The mother found out about her baby’s condition only the day after the boy was born.

“I wanted to die after hearing that … I went to the best hospital for check-ups for my child. This is impossible,” the woman told the newspaper.

She said doctors from the hospital that delivered the baby – her firstborn – found out she had syphilis only after one of them checked her prenatal check-up report.

Both her husband and ex-boyfriend tested negative for the disease, she said.

The woman said she was afraid to bring her baby out and dared not tell any of her friends about their condition. Her relationship with her husband had also deteriorated since the child was born, she added.

“I feel happy whenever I look at my son, but then I feel sad again I recall his condition,” the mother said. “I feel sorry for spreading the disease to him. I don’t know how to face him in future.”

The hospital where the woman did her prenatal check-ups said they were investigating the matter.