• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ξ Barclays Premier League Season 2015-16 Ξ

SamAllardyce

Alfrescian
Loyal

21298010362983f287bb6d4184acf49b71834d5d.jpg

FszERxc.jpg

SamAllardyce

Alfrescian
Loyal

Work halted at Olympic Stadium after fatality

olympicstadium-cropped_10a8voke3sasn16g83cy9npd0n.jpg

By Matthew Rogerson
Jun 28, 2015 18:33:00

A 44-year-old man has been confirmed by the Metropolitan Police to have fallen from the stadium, which is being prepared to host Rugby World Cup and West Ham matches

Work has been halted at the Olympic Stadium in London after a sub-contractor was found dead at the venue on Sunday.

A 44-year-old man was confirmed by the Metropolitan Police to have fallen from the stadium, which is being prepared to host games at the Rugby World Cup before becoming the new home of Premier League side West Ham in 2016.

"Officers were called to the stadium at 08:30CET this morning, Sunday, 28 June, to reports of a person having fallen from the stadium to the ground and being unconscious," read a police statement, which also revealed the incident was not being treated as suspicious.

"The man was unresponsive when officers arrived at the scene. The London Ambulance Service attended and the man was pronounced dead shortly before 09:00CET.

"Formal identification has not yet taken place. However, officers are confident that they know the identity of the deceased."

Balfour Beatty - the construction company overseeing the site - added: "We are working with the relevant authorities whilst a full investigation is carried out.

"All work on site has been stopped. Our thoughts are with the individual's family, friends and colleagues."

The stadium is due to host five matches at the Rugby World Cup across September and October, starting with the Pool D match between France and Romania.

There is a large amount of controversy around West Ham securing rent to the stadium with the the Mayor of London refusing to divulge details of how much is being paid by the Premier League club despite the ballooning cost of adapting it from an athletics track.

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Leicester offer condolences to Albrighton and family after Tunisia attack

marcalbrighton-cropped_kdsz1nlg4ysk13y1zhi59b0re.jpg

By Nicholas McGee
Jun 28, 2015 22:35:00

The mother of the midfielder's partner was killed in the terrorist atrocity last week, with the club extending their support to the former Aston Villa star's family

Leicester City have offered their condolences to midfielder Marc Albrighton and his partner after her mother was killed during Friday's terrorist attack in Tunisia.

It has been confirmed that Sue Davey, mother of Albrighton's partner Chloe, and her partner Scott Chalkley were among the 38 people murdered when an armed gunman opened fire on a beach in the city of Sousse - a popular tourist destination.

Ms Davey's son Conor Fulford and the family of Mr Chalkley had launched appeals for information regarding the couple before announcing on Saturday that both had lost their lives in the tragedy.

A statement on Leciester's official website read: "Leicester City Football Club offers its sincerest condolences to Marc Albrighton, his partner Chloe and their family, after learning of the deaths of Chloe's mother, Sue, and her partner, Scott, during Friday's attacks in Tunisia. They are all in our thoughts and prayers.

"We continue to offer our support to Marc and Chloe's family at this time of great personal tragedy."

Fabregas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Taarabt: Redknapp is a very bad manager

adeltaarabtharryredknapp-cropped_b68d3ikyo5do1tk1wifdtkxgk.jpg

By Peter Hanson
Jun 28, 2015 12:10:00

The former QPR manager labelled the Morrocan as "the worst professional I have ever come across" last season, and the player has now replied in kind

Adel Taarabt has criticised Harry Redknapp, labelling his former QPR boss a "very bad manager" and stating that he lacks passion.

The midfielder endured a testing relationship with Redknapp at times during their time together at Loftus Road, with the manager slamming the Moroccan as "the worst professional" he has ever met.

Taarabt has now hit out at Redknapp, while also accusing QPR's players of not giving their all for the team in the run up to their recent relegation.

"I don't think he has the passion for the game like people think," Taarabt told The Sun. "Harry is not a bad person but he is a very bad coach and, for me, a very bad manager.

"Half the players at QPR didn't care about the club, they were just making money. I had one of the bigger salaries but I cared about football because I loved football."

Taarabt started just three Premier League games last season, and recently signed a five-year deal with Benfica.

Redknapp resigned as QPR manager in February and new boss Chris Ramsey was unable to prevent the club from being relegated to the Championship.

Pardew

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sacked Leicester pair Hopper & Smith find new clubs

tomhopper-cropped_1lb0c8iemhyty1gndhdypbjbo1.jpg

Jun 26, 2015 22:51:00

The striker, goalkeeper and James Pearson - son of Leicester boss Nigel - all had their contracts terminated after footage emerged of them allegedly being racist during a sex act

Tom Hopper and Adam Smith have joined Scunthorpe and Northampton Town, respectively, following the termination of their Leicester City contracts.

The striker, goalkeeper and James Pearson - son of Leicester boss Nigel - were all released after the Sunday Mirror obtained footage that seemed to show the trio engaging in explicit acts during a post-season tour of Thailand.

A racist comment could allegedly be heard being made towards one of the women involved during the video. The players apologised for their actions, but were later shown the door by Leicester.

A statement from Scunthorpe read: "The club would like to make it clear that we are fully aware of the recent publicity surrounding the young striker and have put a considerable amount of thought into the decision to sign him.

"However, Tom is a player that we are very much aware of, having signed him on loan last season, and we feel that we know his true character, which was not represented by this regrettable incident.

"While we fully understand the position taken by Leicester City in this matter and we do not condone Tom's actions, we have discussed the issue at length with the player and he has shown a great deal of remorse and a real willingness to rehabilitate himself. The player accepts fully that his actions were unacceptable and takes full responsibility.

"We understand that youngsters can make mistakes, but we are a club who believe in giving people a second chance when they have shown a genuine desire to make amends."

Meanwhile, Smith told Northampton's official website: "I got myself in a situation I am deeply ashamed of, and I am desperately sorry for that.

"I know the club here do a lot of anti-racism work and have a proud record in that area and I am keen to help the club with that.

"I am really sorry for what I was involved in, but I need to put that stupid mistake behind me. I am really grateful for the second chance I have been offered here and I am determined to make the most of it."

Northampton manager Chris Wilder acknowledged his club could face criticism for signing Smith.

"I'm aware that this signing will create debate," Wilder said. "Adam was involved in an incident at Leicester that was very wrong and he knows that better than anyone. He paid a price for that, he has apologised and is ashamed of what happened.

"But, we also live in a society where, as long as people show genuine remorse, admit their mistake, learn from it and apologise then they deserve a second chance. Adam knows that and he is determined to take this chance.

"He is a very good goalkeeper, and one who needs to be in and around a first-team place to push himself forward and I am sure he will prove a good addition."

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

Why Cech's move to Arsenal will not reopen old Mourinho-Abramovich wounds

1590332_heroa.jpg

Jun 29, 2015 17:45:00

The billionaire Russian set aside his pride and footballing vision to bring his most successful coach back; now football's most uncompromising winner must sacrifice

COMMENT By Liam Twomey

Two years into his return to Stamford Bridge as the self-proclaimed ‘Happy One’, Jose Mourinho’s serenity has been remarkable.

Publicly there have been the inevitable headlines, explosive barbs at rival managers and talk of media “campaigns”, but privately Chelsea’s most successful ever manager no longer gives the impression of a man capable of starting a fight in an empty room.

Instead, management and ownership are pulling in the same direction. Mourinho’s working relationship with Roman Abramovich’s most trusted lieutenants – technical director Michael Emenalo and de facto chief executive Marina Granovskaia – has been low-key but spectacularly productive, restoring Chelsea to the pinnacle of English football while complying with Uefa’s Financial Fair Play rules.

But the alliances that have underpinned the Stamford Bridge resurgence were always going to be tested sooner or later, and that moment has arrived. Mourinho did not want to lose Petr Cech to anyone, much less a Premier League rival. Abramovich’s desire to do right by Chelsea’s greatest ever goalkeeper has seen his manager overruled on both counts.

The question now is how Mourinho reacts. He has in recent weeks spoken like a man at peace with his powerlessness when it comes to Cech, less than satisfied but respectful of Abramovich’s final judgement. “The owner is the owner,” he told reporters earlier this month. “He is the person with the perspective I admire a lot, respect a lot… I will have to accept any decision that the owner has.”

Such magnanimity is a far cry from Mourinho’s witty yet bullish take on the division of labour with Abramovich in March 2005, as he powered towards his first Premier League title at Stamford Bridge. “If he helped me out in training we would be bottom of the league - and if I had to work in his world of big business we would be bankrupt,” he insisted.

History tells us that when Mourinho is forced to acquiesce on matters of power, personnel or both, things tend to end badly.

Andriy Shevchenko’s arrival and the appointments of Frank Arnesen and Avram Grant prompted civil war in his first spell at Chelsea, while every bridge to president Florentino Perez was ultimately burned by an all-consuming public struggle with entrenched senior players at Real Madrid.

1580262.jpg

POWER STRUGGLE | Mourinho and Abramovich's have previously clashed over player and staff recruitment

Mourinho himself appeared scarred by his experience in the Spanish capital and has so far delivered on his pledge to work within the existing power structure at Chelsea – but in reality it is Abramovich who has sacrificed most.

Billionaires do not generally become so without a stubborn courage in their own convictions. Bringing back Mourinho in the summer of 2013 at vast expense was a remarkable climbdown for Abramovich, having paid £10.5 million (€15m) just to see the back of the brash Portuguese maestro six years earlier.

He then sanctioned the sales of Juan Mata and David Luiz, reportedly two of his personal favourites and the emerging leaders of the new Chelsea, because they did not fit his manager’s vision. Mourinho was also permitted to abandon the Fernando Torres vanity project, even if plain logic dictated that decision every bit as much as the manager.

In terms of signings, Mourinho has for the second time been given the freedom to build a Chelsea team to his unique specifications, if not quite a squad. John Terry’s position as defensive leader was restored at his insistence and Didier Drogba was brought back for one last hurrah. This summer his fingerprints are all over the controversial decision to give Radamel Falcao another Premier League chance when most other top clubs would run a mile.

On the pitch, Nemanja Matic and Diego Costa lend the Blues a far more powerful, bruising and at times divisive profile than was originally intended for the next great side to grace Stamford Bridge, while a pragmatic, win-at-all-costs philosophy is again paramount.

Now it is Mourinho who is being asked to sacrifice. Seeing Cech in Arsenal colours next season will be an understandable source of frustration; a world-class goalkeeper should make the Gunners considerably better and Arsene Wenger is probably one of the last managers in the world he would like to help.

But the decision is not his to make. Nor is it a valid pretext for conflict or excuse for failure next season; Mourinho was happy enough to sell Mata, Chelsea’s best player two years running, to Manchester United, and unless misfortune befalls Thibaut Courtois, losing Cech will not make Chelsea any worse.

Mourinho’s job is to keep winning. As yet there is little to suggest he will fail, or that his relationship with Abramovich will disintegrate so spectacularly again. Six chaotic years and seven different coaches taught the Russian the hard way that he cannot micromanage Chelsea to global domination, and those who now run the club on his behalf are motivated by a desire for collective success rather than personal advancement.

With this structure, the unlikely reunion of football’s most successful short-term manager and Europe’s most notorious short-term club will endure. Mourinho is the first Abramovich era Chelsea boss to see a third season since Mourinho; how he responds to Cech’s sale will go a long way to deciding whether, for the first time in his own illustrious career, he gets a fourth.

TonyPulis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal tight-lipped on De Gea

29 June 2015

869100header.jpg

Louis van Gaal insisted he will not be discussing Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea's future in the media, with Real Madrid waiting in the wings.

Real are interested in attracting Madrid-born De Gea back to the Spanish capital, as the international enters the final year of his United contract.

Both teams are at loggerheads over the valuation of De Gea, while United have turned their attention to Real defender Sergio Ramos.

Van Gaal was quizzed about De Gea by Spanish TV channel Cuatro, but said: "I don't want to discuss the issue through the media.

"I will speak with my directors, not with the media. I don't have a problem."

De Gea, who moved to Old Trafford from Atletico Madrid in 2011, kept 10 clean sheets in 37 Premier League appearances as United finished fourth in 2014-15.

Filipe

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dicks joins West Ham coaching staff

29 June 2015

869155header.jpg

Julian Dicks has been appointed as a full-time coaching assistant at West Ham as new manager Slaven Bilic shapes his backroom team.

Dicks became a cult hero at Upton Park during his playing career after scoring 65 goals in 326 appearances from left-back across two spells at the club.

The 46-year-old, who has previously coached West Ham Ladies, was a team-mate of Bilic - appointed to replace Sam Allardyce earlier this month - during his playing career at the club.

"I met up with Slaven last week and, although we had not met in person for a few years, it was like we had never been apart," Dicks told West Ham's official website.

"We had a hug and a kiss and sat down and talked all about West Ham and all about football.

"We had a great relationship when we played together in the same team here and I am sure we will work well together again as manager and coach."

Ospina

Alfrescian
Loyal

Villa confirm Wilkins as assistant manager

29 June 2015

869188header.jpg

Aston Villa have confirmed the appointment of Ray Wilkins as assistant manager.

Last week the former England international confirmed that talks had been held with Villa manager Tim Sherwood.

The club have now announced that Wilkins will join the coaching staff at Villa Park, while Kevin MacDonald, who had been in the role, will remain a part of the coaching set-up.

"I'm really pleased to bring Ray on board," Sherwood told Villa's official website. "He has a fantastic knowledge of the game and I'm looking forward to working with him.

Wilkins has managed both QPR and Fulham, while serving as an assistant to various bosses at Chelsea.

He most recently coached Jordan's national team and enjoyed a distinguished playing career with the likes of Manchester United, Chelsea and Milan.

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Schweinsteiger hints at Bayern stay amid United links

29 June 2015

869241header.jpg

Bastian Schweinsteiger has hinted that his long-term future remains at Bayern Munich as he continues to be linked with a move to Manchester United.

The Germany midfielder and World Cup winner is one of the most successful players in Bayern's history, winning eight Bundesliga titles, seven DFB-Pokal medals and the UEFA Champions League in 2013.

Schweinsteiger made just 15 league starts last season, though, and was reported to be interested in a move to Old Trafford, where he would be reunited with former Bayern boss Louis van Gaal.

However, the 30-year-old appears to have poured cold water on the idea he could leave the Allianz Arena - stating there is still plenty for him to achieve at Bayern.

"I really would like to win the Champions League again, but also play as successful as the last couple of years," he told Sport 1 during the shooting of an advert for Funny Frisch.

"We have won the league title three times in a row. I think no team ever made it four times. That is a motivation.

"If you have won big titles like the Champions League or the World Cup a lot of people think 'now he has enough', but I see it completely different.

"I feel fine and I am ready to play on the top-level for three more years. That is my goal."

Schweinsteiger is also targeting more success with Germany at next year's European Championship in France.

"We have the European Championship in 2016," he added. "That is a big goal, not only for me but for the whole football nation of Germany. That's what you work for."

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Koeman: No serious United bid for Schneiderlin

29 June 2015

869512header.jpg

Southampton manager Ronald Koeman has revealed the club are yet to receive a "serious bid" for Morgan Schneiderlin for Manchester United, despite speculation the midfielder is poised to move to Old Trafford.

The 25-year-old, who has been at Southampton since 2008, is being strongly linked with United, but Koeman insists recent rumours of a done deal are premature.

"We have the situation with Morgan Schneiderlin, we will have to wait what will happen," said Koeman in an interview on the club's official YouTube channel.

"Until now, we have not a serious bid for him from Man United.

"We will wait, but okay that's business that normally starts from now [the start of pre-season]. And it's no problem, it's the first day. "

Schneiderlin has represented Southampton in the top three tiers of English football, making 256 appearances for the club in all competitions.

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Former Birmingham City player Thwaites among Tunisia victims

30 June 2015

869628header.jpg

Birmingham City confirmed former player Denis Thwaites died in Friday's terror attack in Tunisia.

At least 18 British nationals were killed, including 70-year-old Thwaites and wife Elaine, 69, in Sousse.

Thwaites played with Birmingham between 1960 and 1972, and helped the Midlands club to the 1963 League Cup - their first major trophy.

Former team-mate Garry Pendrey paid tribute to Thwaites.

"It is unbelievable," Pendrey said, via Birmingham City's website.

"He was the equivalent of Trevor Francis in his time, he really was.

"Denis was a terrific player, he had tremendous ability. He could go past people, score goals.

"Unfortunately he wasn't really able to reproduce his talents on a consistent basis, he had a problem with nerves.

"But he was some player, and a lovely, lovely man."

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

Paulinho ends Spurs frustration with Guangzhou move

29 June 2015

869305header.jpg

Chinese Super League champions Guangzhou Evergrande have completed the signing of midfielder Paulinho from Tottenham.

The Brazilian moves on a four-year deal after Evergrande paid €14million for his services.

The 26-year-old arrived at White Hart Lane from Corinthians in 2013 and initially was a regular under Andre Villas-Boas, but fell out of favour with Tim Sherwood and later Mauricio Pochettino.

Paulinho made just 14 starts in all competitions last term - half of those coming in the UEFA Europa League - with the Brazil international linking up with Luiz Felipe Scolari in Guangzhou.

The pair worked together for the national side in Scolari's most recent spell in charge, with Paulinho joining a host of fellow Brazilians at Tianhe Stadium, including Elkeson and Ricardo Goulart.

Ospina

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cech plans to play until he´s 40

2 July 2015

870982header.jpg

New Arsenal signing Petr Cech has spoken of his desire to continue playing until he is at least 40 following his move from Premier League rivals Chelsea.

Goalkeeper Cech signed a long-term deal at the Emirates Stadium earlier this week after losing his starting place to Thibaut Courtois last season.

The Czech international, who enjoyed a trophy-laden 11-year spell at Stamford Bridge, is now 33 but he plans to play on for seven more years.

"I don't want to speak about retirement for another seven years. That's my target and then I will see," Cech is quoted as saying by several British newspapers.

"You can have a plan, but sometimes, it doesn't turn out the way you want.

"This move is one of those things I didn't expect - but I'm glad it happened.

"In football you never know what's round the corner and retirement is something I don't plan.

"I'm just looking forward to my new challenge. I'll just go in, do my work and show I am worthy of a place."

Cech's competitive Arsenal debut could come against Chelsea when the two contest the Community Shield in August.

Filipe

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hammond pens Leicester extension

2 July 2015

870991header.jpg

Dean Hammond has agreed a one-year contract extension with managerless Leicester City.

The midfielder joined Leicester in August 2013 from Brighton and Hove Albion and was a part of the team that won promotion from the Championship to the Premier League as champions in his debut season.

Hammond played 12 times in the league last term, as Leicester pulled off a great escape from relegation by winning seven of their last nine games.

The 32-year-old joins Jeffrey Schlupp and Marcin Wasilewski in renewing his contract ahead of the new season.

Leicester are currently without a manager after sacking Nigel Pearson on Tuesday.

Alexis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Holebas makes Watford move

2 July 2015

871300header.jpg

Premier League newcomers Watford have signed Greece international defender Jose Holebas from Roma.

The 31-year-old has penned a three-year deal at Vicarage Road.

The transfer fee, reported to be an initial £1.8million, was not disclosed.

Before moving to the Italian capital in August last year, where he made 34 appearances and scored once across all competitions, Holbas enjoyed a four-year spell with Olympiacos in his homeland.

Holebas began his professional career in Germany - the country of his birth - where he represented Viktoria Kahl and 1860 Munich.

Watford were promoted to the Premier League as Championship runners-up last season and recently appointed new manager Quique Flores.

Fabregas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Odemwingie signs one-year Stoke extension

2 July 2015

871197header.jpg

Peter Odemwingie has penned a new one-year deal at Stoke City.

The Nigeria forward moved to the Britannia Stadium from Cardiff City in January 2014 as part of a deal that saw Kenwyne Jones head in the opposite direction and Odemwingie endeared himself to supporters with six goals in 15 Premier League appearances in the same season.

Odemwingie, 33, missed the majority of last term with a serious knee injury, but returned to action in April in a 1-1 draw against Sunderland.

The former West Brom striker has subsequently been rewarded with a new contract that includes an option for a further 12 months.

"We're delighted to announce that Peter has extended his stay with us at the club until the summer of 2016," said Stoke chief executive Tony Scholes.

"He suffered an unfortunate injury last season after making a big impression immediately after joining the club.

"Peter has worked incredibly hard to battle back from this to regain full fitness. He's a popular figure, not just in the dressing room but with club staff and supporters, so we are thrilled to keep him on board this season."

Stoke have also confirmed that John Coates, son of chairman Peter, is to become the club's new vice-chairman.

TonyPulis

Alfrescian
Loyal

West Brom hope for new owners within the month

3 July 2015

871567header.jpg

New owners could be in place at West Brom by the end of the month after the club confirmed an interested party had been granted exclusivity in negotiations.

Chairman Jeremy Peace - whose company West Bromwich Albion Holdings owns the majority share in the Premier League club - has been looking to sell in recent months.

The club confirmed in a statement on Friday that they hoped new owners would be in place by the end of July, reassuring fans that preparations for the new season would not be affected.

"Chairman Jeremy Peace today confirmed that exclusivity has been granted to one party interested in the purchase of West Bromwich Albion Holdings Ltd," read the statement.

"This follows discussions with several interested parties in the wake of his decision earlier this year to consider strategic options for the future development and legacy of the club.

"This process should be completed by the end of this month and in the meantime, the Club wishes to assure supporters preparations for the new season will remain unaffected.

"The chairman, head coach Tony Pulis, chief executive Mark Jenkins and Richard Garlick, the director of football administration, have met to discuss and progress future transfer targets.

"They remain in constant dialogue over the re-shaping of the first-team squad for the 2015/16 Barclays Premier League campaign."

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chelsea the team to beat in the Premier League, says Neville

3 July 2015

871606header.jpg

Gary Neville believes any team eyeing the Premier League title this season will have to get past Chelsea if they are to be successful.

Jose Mourinho's side finished the previous campaign eight points clear of Manchester City to be crowned champions for the first time since 2010 and have since added to their squad with the signing of Radamel Falcao on a season-long loan.

Chelsea's rivals have been busy in the transfer market, with Petr Cech moving to Arsenal, Manchester United acquiring Memphis Depay and Liverpool making six new signings - including Roberto Firmino and Danny Ings.

Despite the other contenders seeking to close the gap, Neville says Chelsea will start the new campaign as favourites.

"We're in July when teams haven't completed their business yet; that's something I think you've got to be very careful about at this stage," he told Sky Sports News.

"But as I stand here today now, I think it would be very difficult to look to past Chelsea.

"However, who knows what is going to happen in the next month in terms of signings and how those signings will then come in and adapt.

"Things can always happen and you could look at a team in a month's time and think 'they're going to take some stopping with the people they've signed', we haven't seen the transfer market flush itself out yet.

"But certainly now, without the business having been done, you aren't as informed as you'd like to be, but Chelsea would be the team to beat and I think everyone would say that."