• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Phey Yew Kok Affair By Tan Wah Piow

xingguy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is amazing that no current photos of Phey Yew Kok despite his return to Singapore and attending court.

Couple with Pinky's statement on closure is already tell-tale sign on how this court case will pan out.

What do u think?

Source: The Online Citizen

The Phey Yew Kok affair

JUNE 28, 2015 BY ONLINECITIZEN IN TOC FEATURE · 2 COMMENTS

No cover-up please, however awkward or embarrassing

By Tan Wah Piow

When Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong made a statement this week about Phey Yew Kok’s return after 36 years on the run, he said he was hoping for a “closure to a long-standing case”, and “will not allow any cover-up, even when it is awkward or embarrassing for the Government”.

The Straits Times 25 June 2015 report stated that Phey “has been on Interpol’s wanted list since [1979], longer than any other Singaporeans”. Lee Hsien Loong should now explain why nothing was done when his father, Lee Kuan Yew, knew as least since 2000 that Phey Yew Kok “was last heard of in Thailand, eking out a miserable existence as a fugitive, subject to blackmail by immigration and police authorities.” [source: LKY “From First World to Third” Published 2000].

If you are a reader of the Straits Times, you may think Phey Yew Kok is just a disgraced trade union boss and MP who embezzled $84,000, and went into hiding for 36 years.

Yet if you read the blogs, they tell a very different story.

Phey-Yew-Kok.jpg

Phey Yew Kok (Image – ST files)

What you don’t read in the Straits Times

Inevitably, the older netizens recall Phey Yew Kok as a key prosecution witness in a trial in 1974 where two workers and I were convicted for alleged “rioting” at the premises of the Pioneer Industries Employees’ Union (PIEU).

In the blogs, you will read about the demands for Phey Yew Kok to come clean about the frame-up. Also, the name of the Judge who presided over the 47-day trial, T.S. Sinnathuray, is constantly mentioned. My parting words to the Judge congratulating him for his future promotion to the High Court are now widely quoted.

I write this piece especially for the benefit of readers below the age of 50 so that they can appreciate the significance of Phey Yew Kok’s return, and the opportunities to put right the injustices of that period.

img0057-650x433.jpg

Tan Wah Piow in his youth

In 1974, I was the President of the University of Singapore Students’ Union; the two co-defendants in the trial were workers from American Marine factory and they were also members of the PAP-backed Pioneer Industries Employees’ Union (PIEU) based in Jurong. We were accused by Phey, the Secretary General of PIEU, of rioting. Our defence was that the ‘rioting’ was fabricated by Phey and his cohorts.

Political Control of the Trade Union and PAP hegemony

In the 1970s, Phey’s role, in the context of political dominance of the People Action Party (PAP), was to “tap the vast reservoir of workers not yet unionised or lost since the disintegration of the leftist unions… From being secretary in one of the airlines’ white-collar unions, his consummate wheeler-dealer skills took him to the Presidency of the NTUC, under Devan’s approving eye” (source: James Minchin “No man is an island”)

PheyYewKok5-650x433.jpg

Lee Kuan Yew facing Phey Yew Kok

Devan Nair was Lee Kuan Yew’s close cohort during those early days after independence. “I needed him [Devan Nair] in Singapore to play a key role in maintaining industrial peace. [source: LKY “From Third World to First”] Devan became the Secretary General of NTUC, and Phey was given the task to control the workers in Jurong as the Secretary-General of the PIEU.

Although ostensibly “trade unionists”, they were an integral part of the PAP political hegemony, glorified as a “symbiotic relationship”. By that, it means you scratch the back of the PAP, and it would offer you protection and bnefits.

In the mid-1970s, the PAP government was facing widespread international criticisms and condemnations for human rights violations. In response, Devan Nair launched an attack on the critics of the PAP at the Triennial Delegates Conference of the NTUC. He claimed that those international critics were fed with “falsehoods by pro-communists enemies of Singapore, right here in our midst”. The falsehoods he cited were: Singapore is a one-party state; and that People in Singapore are arrested and detained in Singapore without trial for their political opinions. [source: C V Devan Nair “Tomorrow: The Peril and the Promise” 1976]

Those untruth pedaled by Devan then would go unchallenged in Singapore because the political landscape in the 1970s was sterile, without a single opposition MP in Parliament. Opposition and genuine trade unionists were behind bars since 1963, a fact which was not spoken of publicly. That was before the advent of the internet, and the Straits Times then, was as docile as the paper is today.

While the trade union bosses were busy defending the PAP, Lee Kuan Yew was promising the workers, through the NTUC, PIEU and other unions ‘pie in the sky’. Lee Kuan Yew, in his message to the Union on the occasion of their Triennial conference in 1976, promised “fair play and fair shares make it worth everyone’s while to put in his share of effort for group survival and group prosperity.” [source: C V Devan Nair “Tomorrow: The Peril and the Promise” 1976]

40 years after that promise, we know that retired workers are still wondering where are the “fair shares” and “group properity” due to them. Back in 1974, we, the students from USSU, and the Polytechnic were challenging the entire fallacy.

The Student Movement

1974 was the year of recession and redundancies. The PIEU, we discovered, was not working for the interests of the workers they claimed to represent. In those politically bleak days, there were no Non-Government Organisations (NGOs). Our allies were a few dedicated but unpaid social workers, including Vincent Cheng, whose church-funded organization, the Jurong Industrial Mission, was forced to close because of pressures exerted on their trustees by the invisible hand of the State. Another informal ally of the students were members of the Young Christian Workers’ Movement and their Jurong-based Chaplain, the late Father Joseph Ho. Through them, and their contacts with workers, USSU found out about the plight of workers from the American Marine factory who were made redundant, and who were unable to obtain any help from by their trade union, the PIEU.

USSU’s Retrenchment Research Centre sprung into action, and gave moral support to the workers which eventually culminated in a confrontation between the workers and the PIEU. We sought the help of G Raman, a pro-bono lawyer for USSU, who advised that it was illegal for a company to pay workers with vouchers issued by the trade union supermarket.

This revelation was immediately relayed to the workers, and when they confronted Phey Yew Kok on this issue, it must have been a bombshell. Very soon after that, a plot was hatched, which ended with the infamous frame-up, and the 47-day trial of the two workers and I, and the deportation of student leaders from USSU.

Encounter with Phey Yew Kok

In the book “Frame-Up – A Singapore Court on Trial”, I gave my account of the court’s hearing, and background to events leading to my imprisonment.

A short extract is reproduced for the benefit of the readers.

A hundred odd workers turned up at the PIEU on the 23 October 1974. Some students, including myself, were also present. This meeting was to become the cause of the conflict between the PIEU, and the workers and students.

Extract

On another point regarding the American Marine management’s collision with the union to use purchase coupons for PIEU supermarkets as part payment of wages, I exposed Phey’s complicity in this illegal act. As I argued at the meeting, under Singapore’s labour law, the salary of workers is payable only in legal tender and not otherwise. It was therefore completely wrong for Phey to condone such practice. In trying to cover-up for Phey, the Solicitor General argued that workers had the option to accept or reject the coupons. Francis Khoo, counsel for the third accused, told the court that although the option to return the coupons was open to the workers, the date for the refund fell within the lay-off period.

Raman: … The union may argue that it was motivated by good considerations, i.e. that of helping employers who were in financial difficulty. But are not workers entitled to be consulted on how their wages should be paid and when it is clearly set out in the law, any breach of law should never have been condoned.

These issues and the confrontation which ensued at the meeting infuriated Phey. Unable to control his wrath, Phey blurted out in front of the crowd that he would investigate my identity and ‘put you in the right place – referring to me as the most outspoken. This threat was later to be realised in the form of the riot frame-up as the defence argued. Phey denied making such a statement.

The defence argued that at the meeting, Phey assured the workers he would try to settle the issue within one week. The one week would end on 30 October. After the 23 October meeting, the workers confirmed with Phey their intention to meet him on the stipulated date – 30 October – at the PIEU. That gave Phey the opportunity to stage the fictitious riot on 30 October. In denying the defence allegations, the prosecution insisted that Phey did not make any such promise, and knew nothing about the meeting on 30 October.

Phey: Another worker asked how soon could I let them know. I said as soon as the news came from the negotiations.

The truth about the 23 October meeting was crucial. For the defence, it was the source of Phey’s threat against me, and the actions of Phey at the meeting pointed to the high probability that he would stage a frame-up against his critics. To the prosecution, I was presented as a militant ‘stirring the people’…’behaving in a disorderly manner’ ‘shouting and scolding (Phey) and (Phey’s) IROs’ and to suggest that I would organise a riot seven days later. Ultimately, it was the evidence of one prosecution witness, Phey Yew Kok, and two other PIEU employees against five defence witnesses who testified on the 23 October meeting.

Although convicted by the Judge of the offence, we assert our innocence before and after the trial, and now 40 years later, because the riot was a total fabrication.

Who, or who else, were involved in the frame-up? I expect the files in the ISD vault to provide some pertinent evidence. When Devan Nair, who later fell out with Lee Kuan Yew after his elevation to the Presidency of Singapore, was asked during his exile about the frame-up, he gave a cryptic response. He said that at the time he was only following the events from the papers, and did not think much about it. However, on reflection, he said if there were a frame-up, it would go right to the top.

Will LHL honour his words?

Many netizens have expressed their hope that Phey’s return may eventually bring a closure to this frame-up saga. But how does one go about challenging a miscarriage of justice in the court when any attempt to do so would be slapped down with a threat of imprisonment or fines for scandalising the court? Amongst the developed common law country, Singapore is an exception as United Kingdom has already dumped that feudal practice into the dustbin of history.

The trial, which ran for 47-days, was well publicised both in Malaysia and Singapore. Comments made in the blogs in recent days are testimony to those who lived through those days, and saw the injustice of it all.

Even Lee Hsien Loong, who did not share such sentiments, should be able to recall his days in Cambridge when Malaysia and Singapore students’ society organised public talks about the repression in Singapore, and the frame-up was quoted as an example of repression under his father’s regime. If Lee Hsien Loong’s memory fails him, his Deputy PM Tharman Shanmugaratnam and wife Jane Itoggi should be able to relate to the Prime Minister how the trial and the frame-up had contributed to their respective political awakening during the 1970s.

Phey-Yew-Kok-2.jpg

Phey Yew Kok in a photo taken on 3 December, 1979, days before he had his charges read to him in court
on 10 December.

Now that Phey Yew Kok has returned, it is an opportunity for the State to investigate the entire saga, including the illicit practice of the Trade Union in instigating payment of workers by vouchers in the 1970s. That illegal practice was exposed in 1974 by USSU before the 1979 exposure of Phey’s embezzlement of Union Funds. The matter of the illicit payment of wages by vouchers was widely publicised, but no attempt was made by the police to investigate this institutional crime committed by a PAP-back trade union.

The illegal practice at the PIEU necessarily involved large sums of money changing hands and opportunities for corruption. Those involved in the corrupt practice were motivated to stop the interference of USSU into their otherwise little known cosy business.

Tan-Wah-Piow-364x450.jpg

Tan Wah Piow, currently a lawyer in London

Phey Yew Kok’s attack against me in the criminal court in 1974 set the stage for the political persecution and suppression of the entire student movement in Singapore. The persecution of the student leaders that follow, including the deportation of other student leaders, and the banning of USSU, and suppression of the students at the Singapore Polytechynic and Nanyang University during the 1970s period suited the political ambitions of those in the PAP–Trade Union symbiotic relationship. This was because our emergence as an effective political pressure group in 1974 was unprecedented in the then political desert, and caught Lee Kuan Yew unprepared. The persecution was subsequently extended by the use of Internal Security Act (ISA) against G Raman and the late Francis Khoo, both defence lawyers for the workers. One of the allegation of facts against G Raman was the role he played as adviser to the students. Even a local journalist who wrote favourably about the student activism during the period for foreign newspapers was not spared, and similarly detained under ISA.

This was because our emergence as an effective political pressure group in 1974 was unprecedented in the then political desert, and caught Lee Kuan Yew unprepared. The persecution was subsequently extended by the use of ISA against G Raman and the late Francis Khoo, both defence lawyers for the workers. One of the allegation of facts against G Raman was the role he played as adviser to the students. Even a local journalist who wrote favourably about the student activism during the period for foreign newspapers was not spared, and similarly detained under ISA.

Now that the Prime Minister has made a public commitment of “no cover-up” however “awkward or embarrassing”, will he now order an independent investigation, not just over the $84,000 embezzlement, but the entire corrupt practice at the PIEU during the period as exposed by USSU in 1974?

This will require public access to all documents held at the trade unions, private and public records of Lee Kuan Yew, relevant ministerial and cabinet papers, University of Singapore Vice-Chancellor office papers, police, ISD, and any other secret agency records directly and indirectly associated with the USSU-American Marine-PIEU conflict.

For such an inquiry to be effective, immunity from prosecution should be granted to those giving evidence about their involvement in the entire saga, including the frame-up.

Such an inquiry will inevitably open up a can of worms. But that is historically necessary if Singapore were to reboot and redefine herself as a nation.

Do the leaders of the PAP possess the moral courage to look at themselves in the mirror and do the right thing?

Do they just wait for Lee Hsien Loong to honour his words?

Or do they need to be pushed?

End of Article​

6iA8wTM.png

Source: Cry Freedom Blog

MONDAY, JULY 25, 2005

Aeromodelling instructor Piragasam Singaravelu had to pay $22,000 in damages and another $10,000 for the apology notices for saying he had seen NKF CEO TT Durai in the Singapore Airlines (SIA)first-class cabin. His price for telling the truth pales in comparison to what Tan Wah Piow paid.

Pheyyewkok.gif

Tan was the student leader of the University of Singapore Student’s Union (USSU) in 1975 when he was caught up in the workers’ labour problems at American Marine. His nemesis was Phey Yew Kok, Secretary General of Pioneer Industries Employee’s Union (PIEU). Tan found himself jailed for 6 months for 'rioting' even though he was nowhere near the office where he was supposed to have 'broken some chairs' -- but the word of Phey Yew Kok, then PAP MP, now a fugitive in Taiwan, carried the day. The judge chose to believe Phey.

An Australian Queen's Counsel, Frank Galbally, who observed the trial for the Australian Union of Students, said: "In Australia, the case would be laughed out of court ... the evidence and procedure ... would, in my opinion, have aborted any trial in Australia ... [The three accused] did not get a fair trial. ... In my opinion, it is just a political trial."

Tan is now a partner of a law firm. The British national lives with his wife and 19-year-old son in London. He keeps in touch with Singapore politics through the Internet and visits the region often, usually to meet his 92-year-old mother, who lives here.

Extracted from USSU publication, “Awakening”, Issue 25, Tuesday 4th Feb 1975

36th Day of the Trial 3rd Feb 1975

Seow Yuet Leng a worker from Eminence Factory and a temporary representative of the PIEU branch, was testifying for the defence and told the court what she saw inside the PIEU premises on 30th Oct 1974.

On the 29th noon she was told by the secretary at Eminence that the Union called her and asked her to go for a meeting on the 30th October. She asked Lai Ah Choon on the night of 29th to accompany her there.

“When we reached PIEU at about 10.45 am I saw about 100 people in the field. Lai saw a Chinese male friend and went over to talk to him. I sat on the bed. After about 10 minutes she came over to sit on the flower bed. 5 minutes later we saw that the crowd had gathered in the field. We went up but could not hear what they said because we did not join them.”

“I went round the crowd once, then I held Lai by the hand and asked her to go into the premises. We then released our hands. When we reached the door I saw Robert Leow at the door. We were asked to go in.
When I went in, Lin Chin Siew asked why I was with those people in the group, and then Robert Leow had asked me to go in. We went into A department, Robert Liew went in first, followed by myself and then Lai.
Robert Leow told me that he went to the Ministry of Labour on the previous day. He said that he met Mr Leow there and he did not promise the $40 increase. He only promised an increase of 10%. He said that he was not sure whether the 10% will be added to the basic pay or on that with the extra. Confirmation of this increase could be made after the manager’s father return from America. He did not know when he will return from America.”

“Then there was a sound from outside – someone closing the door. Following this there were people knocking at the door. The door was knocked twice or thrice, pause then knocked 2 or 3 times, pause and carried on that way.
Then a person walked into the passageway. He walked a little faster than normal. Robert Leow stood up. He told us to wait for a while and he went out. He went up to the Hall. I also saw Lawrence Quek walking in that direction, to the hall. I then came out with Lai. While walking to the hall along the passage way, I saw Kwek listening into the phone in the passage way. Lai was just behind me. I wanted to go into the hall and I pulled the door a little. Kwek had his body leaning against the opened door.”

WP: Before you came out of department A, did you see any of the accused persons?
YL: I did not.
WP: Did you see me while walking along the passageway to the hall?
WP: Did you see anyone carrying a stick along the passageway?

When asked, Yuet Leng said that Kwek was then leaning over the counter phoning with his shoulders bent beside me.

"I had just stood still when Lawrence Kwek stood beside me. At that time the door had come closed. We were all in the hall.
After Lawrence Kwek came in to stand beside me, he said something in English. I did not understand what he said. He then punched the glass on the door with his right hand and shook his hand from the wrist a few times.
He then said, “Overturn the tables and chairs” and he himself overturned a table with his left hand. We stood there for a while. Lawrence Kwek wanted them to go in. They went in.
At that time I was very frightened. I heard “pomp” once and saw a person kicking the glass from outside."

WP: Other than Lawrence Kwek, were the tables overturned by anyone else?
YL: Yes.
WP: (Where) was Robert Leow and Lin Chin Siew at that time?
YL: They were in the hall too.

“I spoke in Lai in Cantonese that if she doesn’t run, I will run. I then ran out to the door, opened it and walked out.”

WP: Did you notice anything on the floor of the hall as you ran towards the door?
YL: Yes. The overturned tables and chairs. There were also pieces of paper.

“I went to the left after I had crossed the drain. When I was in the field, a Chinese man in his 20’s approached me. He said, “Miss, can I take a picture as a souvenir?” I scolded him. “You don’t take. What picture do you want to take.” He smiled and walked away.

“A few girls came up. One girl (she identified as Kim Hong, one of the USSU students) asked me what happened. I was too frightened and did not say anything immediately. Lai told them that he was the Assistant General Secretary. The short girl asked, “Why did they want to break it like that?” She added, “It appears to me they want to falsely accuse the workers with this matter.” I said, “I don’t know.”

“While we were there another middle-aged man came to talk to us. He left the site at about 12.55 pm.”

“At about 1 pm I went back to work. I spoke to four or five workers and told them about the event at PIEU that morning.”

tanwahpiow.jpg

WP requested for these 4 workers to be his witnesses.

Judge: If you are interested in staying till February, it’s your business.

SG: I object. He is calling these stupid and useless witnesses of his defence to prolong the trial because he knows that he had not handed in his assignments and that he is going to fail.

Raman (lawyer for one of the defendants) strongly protested. He said that these witnesses referred to by Wah Piow were also his witnesses and as such the SG’s suggestion was unfair.

The Judge said he will decide on this later.

Yuet Leng named the four girls as Wu Ching Ying, Wong Chin Liang, Chen Siew Fong and Lee Pui Liang.

“I told them that the Assistant General Secretary at AUPE, Lawrence Kwek broke the glass with his hand. I also told them that after he overturned the table he asked the union officials to overturn the tables and chairs. Lee asked me why they did all those things and I told them them I did not know and that I was very frightened at that time. I also told them about the 10% wage increase.”

Posted by Tattler at 3:55 PM

End of Article​

Tan+Wah+Piow.jpg

Many of us here were in the University when all these happened....... we were all at the quadrangle, listening to speeches by Tan Wah Piow and the others......

Now we are gathered together again .... here in sammyboy's courtyard .......hehehe

As we felt the injustice then, we still feel it now........

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
These will be Phey's mitigation:
-prior to case, no criminal record;
-first offender;
-contributions to S'pore;
-given his age and health, unlikely to reoffend again;
-age;
-health;

Prominent personalities will speak up for him. All retired MIW or linked to them.rosecution will relent. Will not press for deterrent sentence and will not appeal even if it is one day jail and fine.

-already suffered while living life as a fugitive

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
These will be Phey's mitigation:
-prior to case, no criminal record;
-first offender;
-contributions to S'pore;
-given his age and health, unlikely to reoffend again;
-age;
-health;

Prominent personalities will speak up for him. All retired MIW or linked to them.rosecution will relent. Will not press for deterrent sentence and will not appeal even if it is one day jail and fine.

-already suffered while living life as a fugitive

Not sure today if anyone cared about what happened?? We have unfortunately .. moved on!

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Phey has a face you cannot trust.

When a leopard dies it leave behind its skin and when a man dies he leaves behind his name.

Phey cannot live with his conscious anymore and by coming back he wants to leave his good name before he dies. Clever and he must be reading this site and read my post.

Old fart should leave his good name before he dies and there will be no Amos 天意 to drag his name to the dungeon.

More ghost of the past of LKY is coming to haunt Singapore.

Last edited:

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
Such an inquiry will inevitably open up a can of worms. But that is historically necessary if Singapore were to reboot and redefine herself as a nation.

TWP is still a dreamer after all these years. What LHL said is only a political cock talk. What is history remains history. What dig up the dust in the past to throw the paps in the bad light?

The paps would only gun Phey on the charges he is now facing, nothing else. The case on TWP is distinct from these Phey's charges. TWP is living on false hope.

xingguy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Source: The Ricebowl Singapore (TRS)

Phey’s Arrest Raises More Questions Than It Answers

KJEYARETNAM 26 MINS AGO LEAVE A COMMENT

st_20150628_phey1_1456385e.jpg

Three days ago, I was surprised to read a report in the State media saying that “After more than three decades on the run, former NTUC president and Member of Parliament Phey Yew Kok was back in court on Wednesday to face charges first read to him in 1979.

The report went on to say “He had turned himself in at the Singapore Embassy in Bangok, Thailand, on Monday. Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB) officers escorted him back to Singapore on Tuesday night.

The PM was quoted as saying

Phey Yew Kok was facing charges of Criminal Breach of Trust when he absconded while on bail in 1980. He has now turned himself in and returned to Singapore.

“He has been charged in court, and the law will have to take its course. This will bring closure to a long outstanding case involving a person who was holding public office as an MP and a senior union leader.

No doubt the PM must wish that Singaporeans will no longer remember Phey Yew Kok who was mysteriously able to abscond and flee the jurisdiction after “he had been charged with four counts of criminal breach of trust involving $83,000 on Dec 10, 1979″. He was also facing two charges “under the Trades Unions Act for investing $18,000 of trade union money in a private supermarket without the approval of the minister.

Like many Singaporeans at the time I was mystified as to how Phey Yew Kok was able to flee before his case. Surely the prosecution had applied for his passport to be impounded as a condition of his bail? And once he had absconded why were the authorities not able to track him down and apply for his extradition? These were the days long before the Mas Selamat escape so it was difficult to believe that Singapore’s authorities could be quite so incompetent.

Like Hitler or Osama Bin Laden, there were many reports of sightings of Phey around the world over the years. For years he was rumoured to be living openly in Taiwan. The suspicion grew that, for whatever reasons, Lee Kuan Yew, who was Prime Minister at the time, and the PAP Government did not want him back.

Why would a rising star in the PAP and a close associate of LKY risk everything for such relatively small amounts of money, even if the actual amounts of NTUC funds missing were much larger than stated in the ST report above and the amounts he was charged with criminally misappropriating? (In the exchange in 1982 below LKY states that just short of $700,000 was missing from NTUC affiliate NTUC Travel, as well as SILO and PIEU.)

Perhaps Phey was just a supreme master of bad timing as it was after his misconduct and the suicide of PAP Minister Teh Cheang Wan in 1986, who was charged with taking bribes while HDB Minister, that LKY and the PAP decided to dramatically increase the monetary rewards going to themselves, their cronies and other public servants, thus perverting the whole notion of public service into one in which obscene salaries were necessary to prevent corruption and reward talent? This principle has been extended to the managers of GLCs such as SingTel, where Ms Chua’s remuneration has given a whole new meaning to the phrase “being in the right place at the right time” (see here)

For years, during the 1980s and again when he was an NCMP in the 1990s, JBJ doggedly pursued the Government on this issue, even saying that the criminal charges should be stood down against Phey in return for him coming back to testify before a commission of inquiry. I reproduce some of the exchanges below which were extracted from the Parliamentary records:

Mr J.B. Jeyaretnam asked the Prime Minister if he will recommend to the President the appointment of a Commission with all necessary terms of reference to inquire fully into the loss of monies belonging to members of Trade Unions between the years 1975 and 1979 and to report in as full a manner as is possible in all the circumstances inter alia on (i) the total of all monies lost; (ii) the manner in which or how the monies were taken or lost; (iii) whether all recognized accounting practices and audit procedures had been followed in the keeping of the accounts; (iv) whether any officers in the member Trade Unions or the National Trades Union Congress should be held accountable for the loss/defalcation because of any failure on their part to take corrective measures to prevent any loss of monies and if so what action should be taken against them; and (v) the circumstances in which the former President of the N.T.U.C. Mr Phey Yew Kok was enabled to leave the country after he had been charged in the courts.

The Prime Minister (LKY): Mr Speaker, Sir, I cannot recommend to the President the approval of a Commission to inquire into the matters set out in the question. It is a long question, with five limbs. They cover the six charges standing against Phey Yew Kok in the Criminal District Court – four for criminal breach of trust and two for contravention of the Trade Unions Act. There is a warrant out for his arrest for not answering to bail. I find it difficult to believe that as a lawyer, the Member for Anson is ignorant of the legal improprieties implicit in his suggestion that a Commission of Inquiry to investigate matters which, inter alia, must form part of the evidence on which these charges will rest.

As long as there are reasonable prospects of bringing Phey Yew Kok to trial, nothing should be done which can be said to jeopardise the process of law. The Member for Anson is inviting me to investigate the facts, or to appoint a Commission to investigate the facts, of a criminal case which is sub judice when, in his own civil suit, pending on appeal to the Privy Council, he took immediate objection to a completely neutral reference I made in this House to the implications of the outcome for him, without touching on the merits of his appeal. However, not to be the Government’s own legal officer, I asked for the opinion of the Attorney-General. In a written opinion, he has advised against the appointment of a Commission of Inquiry. I have made copies (Cols. 465 – 472) and handed them to the Clerk of Parliament for circulation to Honourable Members. Notwithstanding this, I can state that investigations made by the CPIB disclose that altogether $698,862.68 of monies belonging to SILO, PIEU and the NTUC Travel Services (Pte) Ltd, are unaccounted for. These investigations are not closed. I must add that there were no allegations, nor is there any evidence, of missing or unaccounted funds in the NTUC. There were CBT offences committed on monies belonging to the NTUC Travel Services (Pte) Ltd. This is a private limited company, totally separate from the NTUC.

Out of the CPIB investigations, ten other persons besides Phey Yew Kok were charged – nine convicted, one acquitted. I have made out a list of these persons, marked Annex 2, (Cols. 473 – 480) and handed it to the Clerk for Honourable Members. From the list, Members will see that three were officers of the trade unions SILO/PIEU, three were employees of SILO Multi-Purpose Co-operative Society Ltd, one the general manager of NTUC Travel Services (Pte) Ltd, one a public accountant (No. 10 in Annex 2), and one a Director of Savewell Supermarket (Pte) Ltd (No. 4 in Annex 2). Their charges, brief facts and the results are as set out in Annex 2. One (No. 3 in Annex 2) was acquitted. One (No. 11 in Annex 2) had been dealt with internally by PIEU and dismissed on 10th January 1978. The Attorney-General had advised against prosecution in Case No. 11. Annex 2 (Cols. 473 – 480)

As monies misappropriated have been traced and found to have been used as part of the purchase price of a house at 53B Lorong Ong Lye, now in the name of Madam Wong Chui Ping (Mrs Phey Yew Kok), a caveat has been entered against this property. Briefly, no wrong-doing has been covered-up, nor has any wrong-doer been let-off, as the question has sought to imply. If the Member for Anson wants to, there can be an inquiry on whether there has been a cover-up. But the inquiry cannot cover the evidence on which the charges against Phey Yew Kok are founded.

The Minister for Home Affairs will provide the answer in Question No. 10 on what happened to Phey Yew Kok.

Mr J.B. Jeyaretnam (Anson): Mr Speaker, Sir, I am indebted to the Prime Minister for the lengthy statement. As I understand it, it would be contempt of court to inquire into it while proceedings are pending before a criminal court, but the trial has not begun as yet. It is, in m view, always open to the prosecution to withdraw for the moment the charge against Mr Phey Yew Kok and that he be discharged not amounting to an acquittal and then an inquiry held, and when Mr Phey Yew Kok is apprehended and brought into this country he can be freshly put on trial on those charges. Would the Prime Minister like to consider that?

The Prime Minister: I am asked, if I may state what the Member for Anson has suggested, to do the following: Get the Attorney-General to enter nolle prosequi or to withdraw the charges which –

Mr Jeyaretnam: A discharge not amounting to an acquittal.

The Prime Minister: There are two steps the Attorney-General can take – enter a nolle prosequi or withdraw the charges. Which does he propose the Attorney-General should do?

Mr Jeyaretnam: Mr Speaker, Sir, I was not suggesting that there should be a nolle prosequi entered. From my own experience it has very often been the case that the Prosecution – where a witness is absent or is not available to give evidence – consent to the accused being discharged, such discharge not amounting to an acquittal, and then the case is again brought up when the witnesses are found. That is my experience in the courts.

The Prime Minister: We are asked now to get the Attorney-General to withdraw the charges not amounting to an acquittal. The warrant for his arrest will then be automatically treated as lapsed, because there are no charges pending.

Mr Jeyaretnam: Warrants can be applied for again on those charges immediately after that, and it often happens that warrants are applied far from the courts and issued even when persons are out of the country.

The Prime Minister: As I understand it, I am now being asked to suggest to the
Attorney-General to go into an elaborate subterfuge. In other words, the Member for Anson, in putting his question which is really to create a smear that there has been a cover-up, knew that he was suggesting something improper and had come prepared for an answer that this was being thwarted because it is sub judice, and therefore he proposes that we withdraw the charge; warrant will lapse; commission of inquiry is held, Phey Yew Kok’s trial in effect is held by the commission of inquiry; all the issues involved are prejudged; the commission reports, charges are then reintroduced; warrants for arrest are reissued. Is that what is being seriously suggested – that a government should require its Attorney-General to do because a Member of the Opposition wants to satisfy his curiosity?

Mr Jeyaretnam: Mr Speaker, Sir, I was not attempting smears. I would ask the Prime Minister not to impute too readily motives to the Opposition Member. The terms of inquiry of the commission can be drafted in such a way as to exclude any inquiry as to the guilt or otherwise of Mr Phey Yew Kok. The inquiry can be directed as to how – I have set out some of the matters on which the inquiry can be conducted, and that is whether accounting and correct accounting and audit practices, procedures, had been followed and whether anybody else was aware of the manner in which these moneys were being taken from the amounts held by these unions.

The Prime Minister: The commission of inquiry was supposed to have terms of reference which would cover the question set out: to report in as full a manner as possible in all the circumstances, interalia, on (i), (ii), (iii), (iv) and (v). This has been spelt out. I am suggesting to the Member that he must know that this is improper. It must cover the grounds on which the evidence against Phey Yew Kok rest, including the system by which he siphoned off the money. How can we have this elaborate deception of withdrawing the charge, allowing the warrants for arrest to lapse, have a Commission of Inquiry, find out how it was that monies were siphoned off, and then re-institute the charges? If the Member for Anson wants Mr Phey Yew Kok to have a good defence, that is exactly what he would do. He could then turn up and get the Member for Anson, or indeed any other lawyer in town, to go to court and say that a fair trial has been prejudiced.

I am not a lawyer but it seems to me self-evident that there should have been a public commission of inquiry. There should also have been one in the Teh Cheang Wan case where our judiciary established the principle that even asking questions could be construed as defamatory but that is another story. Again “sub judice” rules make no sense in Singapore where LKY abolished jury trials in the 1960s. If Phey gave evidence he has the constitutional right not to answer questions that might incriminate him.

JBJ also questioned the Minister for Home Affairs, Chua Sian Chin, on why Phey had been allowed to keep his passport and received the extraordinary answer that there was no basis for taking it away:

Mr J.B. Jeyaretnam asked the Minister for Home Affairs whether he will outline all steps that have been taken to obtain or secure the return to this country of Mr Phey Yew Kok former President of the National Trades Union Congress to stand trial upon the charges instituted against him and on which he jumped bail.

The Minister for Home Affairs (Mr Chua Sian Chin): Mr Speaker, Sir, Phey Yew Kok was charged in court on 10th December, 1979 on four counts of criminal breach of trust (CBT) and two counts under the Trade Unions Act. He was allowed bail. When the case was brought up for mention on 7th January, 1980, he failed to appear in Court. The bail of $50,000 and $45,000 respectively of the two bailors were estreated by the Court.

Phey Yew Kok was required to call at the Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB) on 2nd January, 1980. When he failed to do so, CPIB officers visited his house and spoke to his wife. She claimed that she did not know where he was. At the same time, CPIB officers also kept observation outside the office of his
lawyers but could not locate him. They also called on union members who were close to him to question them on his whereabouts but they could not assist. On 7th January, 1980, when he failed to appear in Court, the Police were alerted to look out for his car. On the same day the car was sighted in the car park in front of Hotel Equatorial.

Subsequent investigations carried out by CPIB revealed that Phey Yew Kok had left Singapore for Kuala Lumpur by train on 31st December, 1979. From there he went to Bangkok where he disappeared. CPIB had contacted the Thai Police authorities for assistance to locate his whereabouts. However, the Thai Police authorities subsequently reported that they could not trace him.

Immediately after he jumped bail, a warrant for his arrest was issued. CPIB also made an immediate appeal in the local newspapers for information on Phey Yew Kok’s whereabouts.

Interpol Headquarters was alerted and it notified all Interpol countries to arrest Phey Yew Kok. Should he be arrested in a country which has an extradition treaty with Singapore, his extradition will be sought.

The Immigration Department also cancelled both his International Passport and his Restricted Passport for travel to West Malaysia. All Immigration checkpoints have been told to seize his passport and refer him to CPIB if he were to pass through any checkpoint. Our overseas missions have also been informed of the cancellation of his passports and were instructed not to issue any passport to him. They are to immediately inform the Immigration Department if he tries to apply for one.

His present whereabouts are unknown.

When Phey Yew Kok eventually returns to Singapore, as he must if he wants to be with his wife and family again, he will have to face the charges against him. Each day he remains a fugitive, is a day of punishment, without it being considered part of the period for remission of any prison sentence he might have received. The Police had not expected him to consider it worth his while to jump bail and be a fugitive for the charges that had been brought. They made an error of judgment in not removing his International and Restricted Passports. It could well be that Phey Yew Kok made a greater error in deciding to jump bail. The question is: does he want to live as a fugitive, on the run and subject to extortion and blackmail for the rest of his miserable life? Or is it not better, like Wee Toon Boon, to face the courts, accept any punishment due, and rebuild his life?

Mr Jeyaretnam: Mr Speaker, Sir, the Minister has said that it was an error of judgment in not taking away Mr Phey Yew Kok’s passport. Would the Minister say whose error of judgment it was and whether he had asked for any explanation from this man who made the error of judgment as to how he fell into this error of judgment?

Mr Chua Sian Chin: Mr Speaker, Sir, as a lawyer, the Member for Anson should know that it is not as of right that you can ask for the retention of a passport of a person who has been granted bail. It is a matter for the discretion of the Court whether to allow retention of the passport, and it is not normally given.

As to the specific question whether the police officer concerned has made an error of judgment, yes, he has made an error of judgment. Of course, in his opinion it was unlikely that a person of Mr Phey’s position would jump bail. It is not something which you can blame the police officer in this case. As I have said, it is not normal to ask to impound the passport of a person who is granted bail.

Mr Sia Khoon Seong (Moulmein): Mr Speaker, Sir, I do not know whether my supplementary question should be directed to the Minister or to the Member for Anson, but is it not right to say that there had been others who jumped bail even when their passports had been seized? In other words, there are other means of running away from Singapore.

Mr Chua Sian Chin: Mr Speaker, Sir, the answer is yes, there are also other means
by which a person can jump bail even without a passport.

Mr Sia Khoon Seong: Mr Speaker, Sir, with the benefit of hindsight, it can now be said that there has been an error of judgment. But could I ask the Minister, or perhaps the Member for Anson, that without the benefit of hindsight, was it not quite natural for the officer to consider that it would not be necessary to impound his passport in view of the kind of offence that Phey Yew Kok was charged? My point is that Phey Yew Kok was an honourable Member of this House, and at that point of time the officer made a judgment which, I think, was quite fair. I am asking whether at that point of time that judgment was, in fact, an error of judgment. Of course, now on looking back and with the benefit of hindsight, it was an error of judgment. But who expected Phey Yew Kok to do that, and who expects any honourable Member in this House to do that?

The Second Deputy Prime Minister (Foreign Affairs) (Mr S. Rajaratnam): I can think of one!

Mr Chua Sian Chin: Mr Speaker, Sir, we do not go around punishing police officers for making an error of judgment. We only punish them if there is negligence on their part. I can assure the Member that there was no negligence on his part, civil or criminal negligence.

Mr Jeyaretnam: Sir, is the Minister not aware that the first thing that the CPIB officers do is to impound passports of persons into whose crimes they are inquiring? I know this, Mr Speaker, from the cases that I have handled, that the first thing the CPIB do is to impound the passport. Would the Minister say whether the officer had asked for directions from the DPP or any other authority before he decided not to make an application to impound Mr Phey Yew Kok’s passport?

Mr Chua Sian Chin: Mr Speaker, Sir, before I answer that question I want a clarification from the Member for Anson. What does he mean by saying that before the officer decided not to impound the passport of Phey Yew Kok, did he ask for directions from the DPP? As a lawyer, he should know that an officer must complete his investigations before he can consult the DPP. I do not know what the Member means by saying that as soon as a person appears before a CPIB officer, in the course of questioning, his passport is impounded. At that stage, how can the officer ask the DPP whether he should impound the passport? At what stage is the Member referring to?

Mr Jeyaretnam: May I answer that question, Sir?

Mr Speaker: Yes, Mr Jeyaretnam.

Mr Jeyaretnam: The Minister talks about impounding of passports after completion of investigations. Mr Phey Yew Kok was produced in court. I should have thought that all investigations were completed by the time he was produced in court. Why was there not an application made to the court to impound his passport? And if the CPIB officer or police officer decided that no application was necessary, did he seek the directions of any superior officer, either from the Attorney-General’s Chambers or someone higher up in the police force? Because speaking from my own experience, invariably the CPIB seize passports and this had been a departure from the normal practice.

Mr Rajaratnam: A point of clarification, Sir. I am not speaking from any experience. In view of the sneaky proposal that the Member put earlier to the Prime Minister that the charges against Phey Yew Kok should be dropped, is he really serious in pursuing this particular question?

Mr Chua Sian Chin: Now the Member’s question is clear, and that is whether the officer did ask for directions to impound or not to impound the passport of Phey Yew Kok after he was charged in court. The answer is: yes, he did. The point is this. As I have said just now, it is not normal for the court to impound the passport of a person who has been granted bail and in their opinion, it is not necessary in view of the position of Phey Yew Kok. It may be an error of judgment but it is certainly not negligence on their part.

Mr Jeyaretnam: Mr Speaker, Sir, the Minister has said that the officer did ask for directions. May we know who he asked for directions from?

Mr Chua Sian Chin: He asked directions from the DPP.

JBJ got the Minister to admit that the CPIB investigators were reluctant to take away Phey’s passport because of his status and connections and that furthermore when they consulted the DPP on whether to impound his passport after Phey was charged they were told it was unnecessary.

Mr J.B. Jeyaretnam asked the Acting Minister for Labour (a) whether the investigations into the loss of monies belonging to Trade Unions between the years 1975 and 1979 have now been completed; and (b) what is the total of the unions’ monies that has now been found to be missing or lost and how much of it has been recovered.

The Acting Minister for Labour (Prof. S. Jayakumar): Mr Speaker, Sir, on the first part of the question, except for a case involving $1,320 which the CPIB has not been able to complete without questioning Phey Yew Kok, the CPIB has completed the investigations into the loss of money belonging to the trade unions, i.e. SILO, PIEU and the NTUC Travel Services (Pte) Limited between the years 1975 and 1979.

As to the second part of the question, the total of the unions’ money lost between 1975 and 1979 is $704,173.93 or $5,311.15 more than the $698,862.68 already discovered in March 1982.

Sir, the sum recovered to-date is $557,864.76.

Mr Jeyaretnam: Mr Speaker, Sir, I have a supplementary question. This question by the way, Mr Speaker, was addressed to the Prime Minister because I asked him these questions about 18 months ago, and it is arising out of that that I raise these questions today. But I see it is being directed to the Acting Minister for Labour to answer. Be that as it may, Mr Speaker, Sir, we understood from the Prime Minister when he answered this that –

Mr Speaker: Let us have your supplementary question, please, Mr Jeyaretnam.

Mr Jeyaretnam: May we know what action has been taken to recover any of these monies? We understood that Mr Phey Yew Kok or his wife have some properties. Has any action been taken to recover these sums?

Prof. Jayakumar: Mr Speaker, Sir, first of all, I am indeed surprised that he himself has raised the matter of having wrongly addressed the Question to the Prime Minister. We know his insatiable desire to be equated with the Prime Minister but I thought he would be very embarrassed to find that he has directed it to the wrong Minister and that the person in charge of Labour is myself. So it is no surprise to him and to the House that the matter was redirected to the Minister for Labour.

Second, Mr Speaker, Sir, I do not really see any usefulness in going into the details because the Member for Anson, quite obviously, in pursuing these tedious questions over two years has the objective of casting a slur or smear that there has been a cover-up and he has tried to create a myth, an impression, that only when he asks a Question that the Government begins to take action on this matter. So for the record, we should make it clear that long before he set foot in this Chamber and long before he espoused any interest on this subject, the Government has taken action to investigate, apprehend and prosecute the wrongdoers. And that record has to be emphasized to rebut the objective of his Question.

I have already mentioned the sums recovered. The details of the processes whereby these sums are recovered are matters left to the Unions and their solicitors. I do not think that this Chamber is the proper place for me to disclose the details of the various legal steps which the Unions are taking in consultation with the solicitors. The figures speak for themselves. They have been very successful in recovering close to 80% of the sums missing or lost. The Prime Minister did mention a property in the March 1982 answer (Hansard, 3 March 1982 (Vol. 41, Col. 364) with regard to which a caveat has been lodged. The action is pending by the Unions concerning the property in question. But I am not, in this House, going to divulge the details which must be left to the Unions and which only can be divulged with the consent of the Unions concerned.

Mr Jeyaretnam: Mr Speaker, Sir, I would like the Acting Minister for Labour to answer specifically to questions. Does he not realize that Mr Phey Yew Kok has been charged with embezzlement of sums of money? Has any action been taken by the unions, albeit on his advice, to proceed against properties owned by him in Singapore? Has it been done? Secondly, would the Acting Minister please tell this House whether it is intended to hold any public inquiry at all into the loss of these monies? Or is it not going to be held? It is no good saying that I am insinuating cover-ups. All I can say is that the cap fits. I am sorry about it. But you have got to answer.

Prof. Jayakumar: Mr Speaker, Sir, the Member has asked two questions – whether any steps have been taken by the unions concerned to recover the monies. The answer is obvious – obviously yes, as the figures themselves demonstrate.

Secondly, he has resurrected his question of a commission of inquiry, which was fully answered by the Prime Minister. And to summarize the Prime Minister’s answer, a commission of inquiry can be held if the Member’s purpose is to insinuate cover-ups or that anybody has been let off. But if the purpose is to traverse grounds and evidence with respect to the charges against Mr Phey Yew Kok, that will be sub judice and a written Opinion of the Attorney-General was circulated in this House.

Mr Jeyaretnam rose –
3.30 pm

Mr Speaker: I am afraid it is half-past Three. The Clerk will now proceed to read the Order of the Day.

Jeyaretnam asked the Minister for Home Affairs if the Police have given up all hope of finding Mr Phey Yew Kok.

Dr Lee Boon Yang (for the Minister for Home Affairs): Mr Speaker, Sir, I shall answer on behalf of my Minister.

I would like to inform the Member for Anson that the warrant of arrest against Phey Yew Kok is still in force and he remains on the wanted list of all the Interpol member countries.

Jeyaretnam: May I ask the Minister of State that in view of the great speed and efficiency in which the Singapore Police have been able to track others who have left Singapore, there are doubts now being raised in the public mind of the efficiency of the Singapore Police when they seem unable to track down Mr Phey Yew Kok. Is he aware of that?

Lee: Mr Speaker, Sir, the speed at which the Police Force has been able to trace other fugitives from justice in Singapore is, to a large extent, dependent on the good and reliable information that the Police Force has obtained in those cases. There had been cases where Interpol had provided timely information which resulted in the apprehending of these fugitives.

In the case of Phey Yew Kok, unfortunately, such information has not been forthcoming.

Jeyaretnam: Is the Minister of State aware of the answer that was given, I think, in the last Parliament by the then Minister for Home Affairs that this man was somewhere in a neighbouring country and I asked for this country to be named and that was not divulged? Is he also aware that this House was then told that the Police were anxiously keeping surveillance to see whether he was moving out of that country to anywhere else? Would the Minister of State tell us something more? Is that man still hiding in one of the neighbouring countries?

Lee: Mr Speaker, Sir, the Member for Anson mentioned that he was informed at the last Parliament that Phey Yew Kok was still in a neighbouring country. I would like to point out to him that the House was actually informed that, as far as the Police investigation was concerned, he was traced to have left Singapore on 31st December 1979, proceeding to Kuala Lumpur, and from there on he was understood to have left for Thailand. And from there on the trail disappeared.

The Police does not have any information at the present moment on the whereabouts of Phey Yew Kok. But if the Member for Anson has any information which he thinks might be relevant to the case, he is welcome to assist the Police by supplying this information so that a detailed investigation and apprehension of Phey Yew Kok can be carried out.

Jeyaretnam: Will the Minister of State tell us whether the family of this man, Mr Phey Yew Kok, is still living in Singapore?

Lee: Yes, the family of the man is still in Singapore.

Jeyaretnam: Will the Minister tell us whether the Police are aware if the man is in contact with members of his family or have they lost all contact with him?

Lee: Mr Speaker, Sir, as I have said, the Police have no knowledge of the whereabouts of this man. The Police does not know if he has been in contact with his family.

Jeyaretnam: Have the Police interviewed members of the family recently? Have they seen or censored any post coming to the family from abroad?

Lee: Mr Speaker, Sir, is the Member for Anson suggesting that we conduct a Police investigation on the members of the family? There has been no information as to whether he has been in contact with the family or not. Does he now propose that the Police launch a surveillance and a persecution of the family?

Jeyaretnam: Mr Speaker, Sir, may I assure the Minister of State that I am not suggesting that the family should be put under third degree treatment. But is the Minister saying that the Police are averse to interviewing the family and averse to keeping watch on any correspondence received by this family from abroad because I know that is done in other cases?

Lee: Mr Speaker, Sir, I am not aware of what has been done in other cases in terms of surveillance of the letters and correspondence. I do not know what the Member for Anson is suggesting. If he has any facts in regard to such surveillance, he should bring these to the House.

The Police will do whatever is necessary to trace the whereabout of Phey Yew Kok. I do not think it is necessary or relevant at this point of time to inform the House of all the Police procedures in this case.

Sir, the Member for Anson has a penchant for raising this case regularly.

Jeyaretnam: Ask the public.

Lee: By his frequent raising of this subject, he is serving notice to the fugitive that he should make himself scarce.

Then of course at the end of 1986 LKY had JBJ expelled from Parliament through a conveniently fabricated conviction by a compliant judge that the Privy Council said had been a grievous miscarriage of justice but were unable to reverse.

However in 1998 JBJ, re-elected as an NCMP, returned, persistent as always, to asking the same questions that the PAP refused to answer.

Mr J B Jeyaretnam asked the Minister for Home Affairs (i) whether the search for Mr Phey Yew Kok has been abandoned and (ii) what success the police have had to secure the return of the man reported to be hiding in Macau after the suicide of the late Mr Teh Cheang Wan.

The Minister of State for Home Affairs (Assoc. Prof. Ho Peng Kee) (for the Minister for Home Affairs): Sir, any effort in tracking down Phey Yew Kok is now very much dependent on available intelligence on his exact whereabouts. Without this, no specific effort can be mounted. Meanwhile, he is still on the wanted list of all Interpol member countries. Also, the warrant of arrest against him is still in force.

As for the question on securing the return of “the man hiding in Macau after the suicide of the late Mr Teh Cheang Wan”, can Mr Jeyaretnam give me the name of the person he is referring to so that I can answer the question?

Mr Jeyaretnam: If the Minister had read the Hansard in 1987, he would have seen that the then Prime Minister did not reveal the identity, but was simply saying the man had run off to Macau and was hiding and they were trying to get him. So I am afraid I cannot give the identity. The CPIB must know.

Assoc. Prof. Ho Peng Kee: I would like to assure Mr Jeyaretnam that I have read the Hansard. I wanted to make sure because the tenor of his question suggests that this person was implicated in Mr Teh’s death.

Mr Jeyaretnam: That is what the then Prime Minister said.

Assoc. Prof. Ho Peng Kee: In that case, I know who he is referring to. That would be Ho Yau Koon from whom Mr Teh Cheang Wan allegedly received gratification for assisting Ho to buy a piece of land. Ho Yau Koon passed away in Hong Kong in 1987.

Mr Jeyaretnam: Considering that this man Phey Yew Kok has been out of the country for more than 20 years, and we hear the Minister saying that the Police has still not been able to find where he is, are we to understand that the Police are now abandoning the search because I cannot see any purpose? The second question is: are the Police aware or do they know if the wife of Mr Phey Yew Kok regularly takes trips out of Singapore or not?

Assoc. Prof. Ho Peng Kee: Sir, as to the first question, I have stated just now that he is still on the wanted list of Interpol. The case is therefore still alive. As to the second question, because the case is alive, it would not be prudent to divulge information on the operation procedures of the CPIB.

Mr Jeyaretnam: May I know the answer to a simple question and, that is, do the Police know that the wife goes regularly out of Singapore or not?

Assoc. Prof. Ho Peng Kee: Sir, I think I have answered that question.

To the PAP and Lee father and son, any attempt to find out the truth can be dismissed as a smear campaign. It was entirely legitimate for JBJ to call for a Commission of Inquiry into how deep the corruption went in the case of Phey Yew Kok, a senior figure in the PAP and close to the PM, just as it was for the case of Teh Cheang Wan.

Today we need to get to the truth about the Government’s management of the reserves starting with the basic question of how much we have. Yet every time the Government either, in my case, ignores the questions, cries “smear campaign”, or resorts to defamation suits or criminal charges to silence awkward questions. In Roy Ngerng’s case Lee Hsien Loong has sued him, had him dismissed from his job, used his Press Secretary to smear Roy and charged Roy with illegal assembly to silence tough questions, Roy did make the mistake of admitting defamation, which

Nothing could better illustrate the need for a strong Opposition to hold the Government to account than the Phey Yew Kok saga and the lengths to which the PAP and LKY went to silence the questioner.

We still need answers to the following questions:

Why was Phey allowed to retain his passport?

How deep did the corruption go and how was he able to get away with it for so long?

What controls are in place to prevent its recurrence?

How did Phey support himself during his years of exile?

Did his wife visit him?

Why did he surrender himself so quickly within a month of LKY’s death?

Was any deal done that he would stay out of the country while LKY was alive and was any deal done before he surrendered to the embassy in Bangkok?

Despite Lee Hsien Loong saying that the court case will provide closure this seems unlikely.

pheyyewkok5-650x433.jpg

End of Article

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Jus look at dis 2 love bird staring at ea other...:biggrin::oIo:

PheyYewKok5-650x433.jpg

LKY: Bro, free tonight?
PYK: Dont touch me in public. In room I chin chye one.
LKY: What? You and Toh Chin Chye 'got road' how come I dunno.
PYK: Just dun touch me here. That's why I cross legs and fold arms.
LKY: Ok, ok. Btw, I will teach Loong to cross legs like you. Sipei sexy.

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

does anyone realli believe...ah pray run rd for 84k...moi bery interested to noe de real reason for de fallout...but guess we had better chance finding mh370...oh wait...60% believe...:biggrin::biggrin:

rotiprata

Alfrescian
Loyal
does anyone realli believe...ah pray run rd for 84k...moi bery interested to noe de real reason for de fallout...but guess we had better chance finding mh370...oh wait...60% believe...:biggrin::biggrin:

fren: this one no ordinary worm... but end of the day me think he will also end up at IMH :biggrin:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Looks like PAP has been accused of being one party state and violating human rights since the 1970s until now still havent change even the young people has now become the pioneer generation,sinkies still havent wake up.better not repeat the mistakes of our ancestors and migrate from this hopeless country,island of the damned.

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Why Phey decide to come back from Thailand? Many of us plan to retire in Thailand and he come back.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
fren: this one no ordinary worm... but end of the day me think he will also end up at IMH :biggrin:

He will end up in Mandai crematorium, soon, he will succumb to a mysterious ailment & suddenly pass away, after all he is already in his 80's....the 'Owl" will be back talking to "mee siam mai hum".."hoot, hoot, hoot, hoot that old b%$%#%^"...ha ha ha

Stay tune...

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe some sort of compromise at LOS.Phey will not spill the beans in exchange for free medical treatment/immunity from prosecution.35 years cannot catch Phey ??? 1-2 years can tail Francis in US by PI ???

jw5

Loyal
He knows that the SG establishment and authorities tend to treat the elderly better, and he is also back to celebrate SG50. :rolleyes::biggrin:

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sibei humorous! Bro u make laugh and laugh!:biggrin: